5.0 out of 5 stars Best Diapers for First Time Parents of Newborns
Published on July 7, 2008 by C. Ullrich

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems with size 3
Like a lot of people, we've used Swaddlers since our daughter was born. We were happy with the size 1's they gave us in the hospital. Our girl was born 6.5 lbs so when we got her home, we moved back down to the newborn size. After reading quite a few reviews here, we opted for the Swaddlers Sensitives and were happy with them in the newborn, size 1, and size 2...
Published on September 17, 2010 by Hoobury

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Diapers for First Time Parents of Newborns, July 7, 2008
C. Ullrich (Manhattan, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive Diapers, Size 1, 180 Count (Health and Beauty)
These are the diapers that we were introduced to at the hospital. Although the regular Swaddlers are very good, these sensitive diapers have the moisture indicator. It is a yellow stripe that turns blue if there is any moisture in the diaper and we find it to be invaluable. Some may find it gimmicky, but when we first brought our baby home from the hospital, we didn't know about the sensitive vs. regular Swaddlers and had a pack of regular Swaddlers. We were also paranoid about ensuring he didn't become dehydrated. You need to count and track both the wet and soiled diapers. Since disposable diapers are now so over engineered, a mildly wet diaper is not always perceptible. After a panicked call to the pediatrician, she suggested putting a cotton ball or tissue in the diaper to see if there was indeed some moisture. If we had been using the sensitive Swaddlers from the start, we would have had more peace of mind because the blue strip would have been readily apparent.

We tried other brands for newborns and found these to be the best. Huggies was the second best, and while they had better Velcro closures, the diapers were far bulkier (even when dry), had a plastic-y smell, and tended to smear the baby poop all over the butt. The Swaddlers are slimmer, have no discernible smell and the poop tends to stay put because of the mesh interior fabric, making clean up easier and any ensuing diaper rash smaller in surface area.

I highly recommend this product and think this is the finest disposable diaper. Although this is a premium product, the Amazon price is quite fair at around $40 for 180 diapers, yielding a unit cost of approximately $0.23. At a Target in the metro-NY area where I live, it's $18.99 for 74, a unit cost of about $0.26.

Note to new parents - only buy 180 diapers when your baby's weight falls towards the lower end of the size range. We're stuck with an opened but practically full bag of newborn size diapers and were surprised when out baby boy was born at 8.5 pounds - we were expecting a seven-pounder. It became pretty clear that the newborn size was a bit too small. We quickly discovered that it's better to have a slightly larger diaper than one that is slightly too small.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems with size 3, September 17, 2010
Hoobury (Newport News, VA United States) - See all my reviews

Again, like a lot of people here, we're not happy with the new DryMax size 3's. The biggest problem is absorption but increased rashes also appear to be problem. It's possible the increased rashes are caused by the absorption problems or possibly the DryMax. Don't know that for sure. That's the executive summary. Read on if you need more detail.

I find two major design issues with the size 3. Number one is the DryMax and number two is the mesh inside. The mesh on the size N, 1, and 2 is a wider mesh that let's the mess go through and provides a barrier between baby's butt and the pee and poop. Either there is no mesh layer on Size 3 or else they're calling a very fine weave the mesh. This layer seems to act more as a block than anything else. When our daughter poops, the poop never makes it to the DryMax. It just sits on top of this layer of material, which is what causes the blowouts (there's no place for the stuff to go but up the back and out the sides) and makes her very uncomfortable. She will literally poop and then start screaming after a few minutes. Never had this problem with the other sizes.

As for the DryMax. I've read from many other people that they've contacted the manufacturer and the response has been the DryMax is more absorbent while maintaining a lower profile making it easier to stuff 10 diapers in the diaper bag (you'll need 10 b/c you'll be changing every 10 minutes). I did a little test on this and they may be right on the total absorption capacity. I stuck a few diapers under the faucet for the test. The problem I found is not the absorption capacity but rather the speed of absorption. Stick one of these diapers under the faucet and you'll see what I mean. With the water on medium, the water hits the diapers and literally beads off. Like a well waxed car. The mesh layer, like with the poop, blocks the water from getting to the DryMax. If you slow down the water flow, then the diaper has a chance to absorb and then the DryMax does it's trick. But that's just for liquid. Poops are still a problem. Even so, we found that when changing after a pee, there was moisture on our baby's bottom using this diaper. She was pretty much dry when using the smaller sizes.

Oh, and like everyone else, we miss the indicator strip.

So the conclusion for us is that these diapers are barely passable for pees and not acceptable at all for poops.

Incidentally, we asked around and everyone recommended the Kirkland diapers at Costco. We're already using the Kirkland wipes so we took the plunge and bought the box of 200+. We've been very happy with them. They're definitely bulkier but other than that, they're superior in every way. Baby can make it through the night again, she's dry after massive peeing, and mostly happy even after poops. Oh, and instead of diaper rash every day, it happens maybe once a week. Without using Amazon subscribe plus Amazon Mom discount, the Kirkland ones are much cheaper. About 22 cents each. I realize Kirkland is not an option for everyone but I'm told Kirkland diapers are actually made by Huggies. Something about an older design. But you may want to give Huggies a shot if you're having the same problems we did.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE New Version!, May 17, 2010
First off, DO NOT buy these diapers! Please read on:

We started out with these for our newborn daughter 3 months ago. Originally they had the cute Sesame Street characters and we had NO problems for the first two months. They were leak free, soft and most importantly, never caused a rash UNTIL...one month ago when I reordered 2 large cases as I normally purchase in bulk. Upon opening the new box, I noticed the diapers appeared slimmer and had cleaner, pastel imagery on the front band, so far, so good. Unfortunately, that's where the honeymoon ended. Within a week, we noticed a rash! We change her diaper religiously and for goodness sakes, her grandma is a pediatrician, so after careful review, the culprit seemed to be this new diaper.

After reading several other moms who had the same thing happen to their child within the past month, I realized this was no coincidence! We switched to Seventh Generation and after just two days, her rash cleared! We're not sure what to do with this surplus of worthless diapers. I'm so glad to have discovered the cause of this mystery. I will say it again, DO NOT buy these diapers! Pampers needs to do some more testing and remove these from the market immediately.

***If you look through the most recent reviews when the new version came out around March 2010, you'll notice the extreme dip in positive reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pampers Sensitive Swaddlers versus regular Swaddlers, April 15, 2009
I called P&G's 800 number (800-PAMPERS)about 10 minutes ago to figure out what the difference is between the sensitive swaddlers versus the regular swaddlers because, with both of them in front of me, I could not tell.

The representative needed to pull it up on her computer, but then read each product description - she couldn't figure out what the difference was because they BOTH had the wetness indicator stripe, the mesh liner, and lotion liner.

I asked why the sensitives cost more and was told they do not set the price - there is no manufacturer's suggested retail price (which doesn't make sense to me) so if there is a difference in price I need to take it up with the store manager.

Then I asked why then does P&G market one as "sensitive"? The representative then said she believes the sensitive has "more aloe" in the sensitive swaddlers than the regular one.

In short, I think it's brilliant marketing by P&G rather than any significant difference in products. P&G markets to mothers who want (and can afford) the "best" product for their babies. Buy the regular swaddlers.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these diapers!!!!, May 16, 2008
These are the best diapers and I am so happy to have found them. They fit well and have not leaked yet. We had the wetness indicator stripe on the hospital diapers and loved it and I am so excited to find that these also have it.

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't think it would happen to me -- until it did, January 14, 2011
Velvet Marmoset (VA, United States) - See all my reviews
We've been using Pampers diapers almost exclusively since our son was born 5 months ago. We started with the New Baby diapers in the hospital and liked the softness and fit so we continued to use them until our son needed a size 3 (size 2-3 seems to be the largest they come in). At that point we tried some other brands, but nothing was as soft or seemed as comfortable and well fitting as the Pampers, so we tried Swaddlers Sensitive diapers. We went through two small bags, purchased at the drug store, without event. Then yesterday we opened up the large box we ordered from Amazon. It was the afternoon, and my son had no diaper rash at that point. Less than one hour after putting on the first Swaddlers Sensitive diaper from the box, I changed him immediately after he urinated -- this is obvious the moment it happens, as these diapers have a very strong smell when wet. Already his groin, scrotum, and little buttocks were red, inflamed, and angry looking. I thought that perhaps I just didn't use enough diaper cream and hoped it would get better, and put on the second diaper from the box, as my poor child screamed. I'd read warnings from other parents, but since we'd had such good luck with the first two small bags, I didn't believe these nice soft diapers could be the culprit. A short while later, his poor diaper area was even worse, and he was clearly miserable. We switched to another type of diaper and by this morning his groin looked much better. While I'm a big fan of controlled experiments, I can't bear the thought of my child being in so much pain again, so I won't risk putting him back in these diapers. I'm contemplating wetting one and strapping it to my inner arm, however, to see if I get a reaction myself. Do I know for certain these diapers caused the reaction? No, but logic points suggests it's quite likely -- he had no rash before these diapers; I changed him immediately after he urinated (i.e. he wasn't sitting in a soiled diaper long); and the rash resolved when the diapers were discontinuted. My husband was furious, and doesn't want Pampers to get another cent from us. I may have to go back to Huggies Naturals, and deal with the annoying gel granules. We tried Luvs, but they were poor performers for us. Rest assured I'll be writing a calm and detailed letter to Pampers. I'm a physician, and hope they'll take this seriously, as I certainly do.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great diaper until daughter developed sensitivity to them, January 19, 2009
We used and loved these diapers for the first 3 1/2 months for our daughter, then she developed a sensitivity to them. After weeks of trying different diaper rash ointments our pediatrician suggested getting a diaper that was chorline free so we switched to seventh generation and the rash went away within a day.

The stripe indicator and the softness of these diapers were wonderful.

1.0 out of 5 stars They should rename them "Pampers Blow-outs", May 28, 2010
Emily W. "Emy Emy" (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I am SO DISAPPOINTED in Pampers right now!

My daughter is 10 months old and I've been using Swaddlers since the very beginning. They are the best diapers out there. Or at least they were, until they changed things around.

I bought the Swaddlers Sensitive because the new and "improved" version of the regular Swaddlers causes bad diaper rash. I thought maybe the Swaddlers Sensitive would be ok, but lo and behold... every time she pooped, it was a blow-out.

EVERY TIME. And not just a little bit of leakage. Like, "Thar she blows!!!" leakage.

So after a few days I got sick of this and gave the diapers to a friend whose baby girl wears the same size, with the warning that they always blew out for me, so watch out. Later on that afternoon I got a call from her saying that her daughter just had the biggest blow-out she's ever seen.

I really can't say enough how disappointed I am. Pampers, you had a great product! Why'd you have to go and screw it up??

1.0 out of 5 stars Pampers new design is horrible, May 1, 2010
J. Meredith (Arlington Heights, IL United States) - See all my reviews
We've used Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive since our daughter was born 3 months ago and were happy with them. But the last time we purchased them they were obviously different (thinner, no more Sesame street characters on the front) and we immediately had leaks, blow outs, etc. They are absolutely horrible now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rash-inducing!, December 4, 2010
Mamaof2Littles "nicoleandjackson" (Naperville, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Within days, my newborn daughter began getting diaper rash when wearing the Swaddler Sensitives. Her poor bottom was red, raw, and weeping. I suspected the woven top sheet right away, and when we switched to Huggies, my suspicions were confirmed. Her rash cleared up after about four or five days. Just because Pampers claims that these diapers are hypo-allergenic doesn't make it so. Use with caution!

Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive Diapers, Size 1, 180 Count
$67.98
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.