Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Cowboy forum

Pan/scan

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 31, 2006 5:46:00 PM PDT
How do we western film lovers get those dipsticks at Columbia Home Video to release COWBOY in its true widescreen format on DVD if they are charging a rather steep $20? Boycott this version and wait for the real thing visually!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2007 7:47:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2007 7:49:01 PM PST
It's pathetic that movie companies continue to insult us with edited versions of films. I have also seen the widescreen version of Cowboy and will patiently wait until this DVD is released as it should be. We true movie lovers and collectors need to stick together and let these companies know we are serious. (Why else would we spend a small fortune on a HD widescreen tv ? ) Check out "Ride The High Country "(widescreen).It's excelllent!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2009 9:30:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 12, 2009 9:30:45 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 7:03:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2015 7:05:30 AM PDT
Columbia Home Video seems to be managed by a Jekyll & Hyde outfit. For every positive move that they make they seem to make two moronic moves in exchange. The presentation of Cowboy in pan&scan format is one of many pointless errors that they have made. People who would purchase and collect rather minor movies from their catalog are obviously serious enough about movies to seek out obscure but valued movie titles - these are the very customers who would value these films preserved in their original widescreen format presentation - so it makes absolutely no sense to sell these films in an altered version. Columbia seems to have issues with this problem especially in regard to their Western titles. Another excellent example of this is the Gregory Peck film, MacKenna's Gold. Not necessarily one of my favorite films, I at least wanted it in my film library in its original widescreen format. I purchased it with the words "Presented in its original widescreen format" clearly printed on the back of the slipcase and found it to be pan & scan when I watched it! Can you say "false advertising"? Anyway, fast forward 2 years later when I ran across MacKenna as part of a 4 movie western collection that also advertised the widescreen ratio, I purchased it again since it was only $5 at a Dollar General store. Expecting the worst, I was shocked and delighted to find that this was indeed a true widescreen version of the film! Maybe movie companies should begin hiring some competent employees who are actually movie lovers to work in their quality control departments to make sure that film makers and film lovers have access to quality presentations of all films that are distributed in the home video market.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cowboy forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Aug 31, 2006
Latest post:  Jul 4, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Cowboy [VHS]
Cowboy [VHS] by Glenn Ford (VHS Tape - 1996)
4.2 out of 5 stars (73)