5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm
I was concerned about the double image problem reported on various blogs, and sure enough there it was on the first shots. But after downloading the updates for this lens and the camera (GX1) from Panasonic the issue was completely resolved.
Then I discovered just how good this lens really is. There is a tiny bit of sharpness fall-off at the long end but completely...
Published on February 22, 2012 by Fred Bauer

3.0 out of 5 stars Some image stabilization issues
REVIEW UPDATED FOR NEW FIRMWARE

The optical image stabilization system for this lens did not work properly when first released. Multiple users tested it on multiple cameras and in most cases it produced a severe double image with shutter speeds between 1/100 and 1/300. Tested on both GH2 and G3 with same results. It appears to be shutter vibration causing...
Published on October 19, 2011 by Ken

5.0 out of 5 stars zoom zoom, October 20, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm/F4.0-5.6 Lens for Panasonic Lumix G-Series Digital Cameras (Electronics)
This is the second MFT lens I've bought for my treasured GF1. Since I got the camera a couple of years ago, I've been shooting with the wonderful 20mm kit lens, and occasionally a couple of adapted legacy lenses: Canon FD 50mm f1.4 SSC and the Canon FD 45mm f3.5 SSC macro -- some very fine pieces of glass. I've been a traditional prime-lens kinda guy and this 45-175mm is my first zoom lens after 42 years of serious amateur photography.

It's a wonderful experience. The lens focuses quickly -- it seems to be quicker focusing than the 20mm pancake. The zoom capability is instantly addictive, having the lens do the sometimes tedious and time-wasting chore of framing the shot with legwork. The sharpness and trueness of color are impeccable. I got this puppy on a lightning deal for a steal. I couldn't be more satisfied or happier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving this zoom on my GH2, May 28, 2012
I am Loving this zoom on my GH2. I've got all the firmware updated an I've seen none of the problems described by the poor reviews. There may be problem with Olympus bodies, but for my GH2 it is a perfect Lightweight match. I shoot 50% stills/50% video and this is my go to lens. If they could extend te wide range down it would make me happier but this former Canon user is plenty happy with this 45-175 - BTW- the EXtele on the GH2 work GREAT with this lens.

May 29,2013 Update:
I am still loving this lens! The AF is faster and quieter than all my other lenses and the power zoom is fantastic. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens, October 23, 2011
Danlex (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
I do not have any problem at all with the stabilization. The images - at least at medium range- are excellent and in the category of my 20 mm f 1.7 when used with adequate light. The motor zoom is fun to use and like a point and shoot. There is a bit of a delay in focusing when the new range is fixed. The lack of a faster lens is a disappointment, having become used to the f 1.7, but it is a zoom lens that can be carried without undue effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solves some real world issues, April 21, 2014
I bought the GH3 to replace my HVX-200. that camera is still fantastic but the ease of use of the GH3 and the video quality/format are just so easy to work with. GH3 is easily my go-to. Don't really need XLR. I miss easy ND filters but can make it work.

The one thing I really missed was auto zoom, especially for sports. This lens solves that. In fact I was surprised to find on-screen control for Wide to Telephoto and back. Really useful feature I ended up liking a lot. the on lens slider works fine. While manual works, I won't use it for my needs.

No issues with early image issues discussed elsewhere. firmware as shipped was 1.2 on mine. Zero problems with functionality.

I actually like the quality off this lens in both video and photo modes. Feels very organic to my eye.

For the price, I'm really pleased. In fact surprised by the functionality.

why not 5 stars? I wish auto zoom was faster, but it worked acceptably while filming high school sports.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't find the anything wrong with the Image stabilization, November 14, 2011
Ok, I have been waiting for more reviews to show up but for some reason this lens doesn't sell or there are just to many happy customer out there that don't bother spending 5 minutes on a review. I had this lens since the first day it came out in the US on my GF2 and cannot find anything wrong with it. I like it a lot and even though the lens cannot compete with my DSLR Canon 70-200, 2.8 IS, it is doing a great job. I will post a few pictures I took with shutter speeds around 1/300. Please correct me if I'm wrong or let me know if you see anything wrong with this test pictures.

2.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Didn't Do Its Homework ..., January 15, 2012
This lens had and continues to have serious issues with its lens stabilization system. The Panasonic "X" lens series was touted by Panasonic as a harbinger of future premium lenses (without Leica's help); and the new Panasonic Power OIS was claimed to be twice as effective as the previous Panasonic lens stabilization system in certain situations. The reality? The 45-175mm lens was fielded with serious issues with the new Power OIS, evidently picking up shutter vibrations at certain shutter speeds and producing double images. Panasonic issued firmware Version 1.1 to fix this, but in my experience the issues remains. I tested the lens using firmware v1.1 on an Olympus P2 body ... handheld at 1/50, 1/160, and 1/250 of a second. Double images occasionally occurred at 1/50 and 1/160 of a second; on other occasions they were sharp. The images at 1/250 were always sharp. For Olympus micro 43 users, there is another issue: the OIS is always ON; there is no way to turn it off. I also own the Olympus 40-150mm zoom lens. I've had no lens stabilization issues with the Olympus lens (and you can turn the IBS on and off). Recommend that Olympus users pass on this lens and buy the Olympus 40-150mm instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice zoom, January 11, 2013
I'm relatively new to the micro-4/3 world (purchased the Panasonic GX1 this summer). I had previously been heavily invested in Nikon, but wasn't regularly following the classic rule of photography: "the best camera is the one you have with you." So I sold my entire set-up, including my much loved Nikon 70-300 VR. Even though that lens is now several years old, it's still one of the best mid-level zooms for photography.

My initial kit for my GX1 was basic: the 14-42 zoom that came with the camera, and a Panasonic's underrated 14 mm prime (I realize it doesn't perform well on the reviews, but I find myself drawn to some of the images I've used it for). The next thing I wanted was something to give me a little reach. By and large, Micro-4/3 is somewhat limited in the area of excellent telephoto lenses. At least, telephoto lenses designed for that purpose for the system. That appears to be changing, but my price range for the time being demanded I evaluate kit zooms.

I settled on the 45-175 lens primarily because I found a great price, and it fits the ethos of the Micro-4/3 system so well. It's small and it stays the same length throughout its zoom range. You can pretend to zoom it manually, but its important to realize this lens is all electronic. I'm not a videographer, so I haven't tested its smooth zooming during video, but a quick YouTube search can show you such things (seems good). And I'll be honest, throughout most of its range, it's close, but not quite as good as the Nikon 70-300 VR I once had. But it's a fraction of that lens' cost and weight. It's a very good value, and I recommend it for anyone who wants reach (especially in video) and is willing to accept the limitations that come at this price point (smaller aperture, plastic construction with a metal mount, etc.).

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not great, January 10, 2014
Good lens but not as sharp as some reviewers make it out to be. The power zoom is cool and works well. The zoom speed is also adjustable for both picture and movie mode. The internal zoom is nice too. It doesnt look like one of those cheap barrel zooms that extend when zooming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it very much!, May 15, 2012
Ka Na (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:27 Mins

I'm using this with my GH2 (lens firmware 1.3). I like it very much for the following:

- Very pleasing bokeh on closeups
- Smooth powered zoom in video mode; it would be nicer if the speed can be reduced further.
- Light weight and compact size

I haven't experienced any 'double image' issues so far.
I was a a bit concerned about a sort of a clicking noise when the lens is shaken lightly. It seems to be normal - the replacement I got also had the same noise.

About noise when zooming:
When power-zooming in video mode, it is very quiet until I reach 175mm, then there is a slight noise and a change in exposure. But this does not happen while recording! (see the attached clip)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value in a affordable power Zoom Lens!!!, October 25, 2013
John Goraj (Blackwood, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
Great Lens!!! Not going by the specs and putting the lens to use in a professional Still and Video environment it performed flawlessly! Hand held long lens is a breeze with its image stabilization. Setting my GH3 to a 5.6f I was able to do zooms without any jump or decline in f stop. Although it's not para focal I was still able to get very usable shots. I would recommend to the micro 4/3's video shooter that needs the capability of a power zoom! Really nice long end of the bottle wide open Boaka! Can't beat it for the price!