I purchased the Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA package, which includes the BQ-CC17 "Advanced Individual Cell Charger", and four 4th-gen eneloop AA cells that are rated '2100 cycles'. For reason that will become apparent later, this review is focused on the charger.

Published 2 months ago by NLee the Engineer

3.0 out of 5 stars When i got the batteries they would only charge to ...
When i got the batteries they would only charge to about 1300mah. I discharged and recharged with the same result. I need to do a break in on my powerex to get them to full capacity which takes 2 days. They finally read around 2500mah. I wouldnt suggest you buy them unless you have a decent charger the can refresh the batteries. They obviously sat on the shelf for a long...
Published 26 days ago by dmiami123

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an inexpensive but smart charger worthy of the eneloop family name, July 3, 2014

I have been using eneloop batteries since the first-gen was introduced to the US market back in beginning of 2007. Over the past 7.5 years, I have tested 2nd-gen (1500 cycles), 3rd-gen (1800 cycles) and lately the 4th-gen (2100 cycles) eneloop cells. I have no complaints about the quality of eneloop cells. But I'm always unsatisfied with the charger bundled with most eneloop packages.
- The MQN05 (bundled with initial eneloop packages back in early 2007) can recharge individual cells. But it is only rated for 120V AC input. There is just one indicator light, which goes off when all cells are fully charged.
- The MQN06 (bundled with most eneloop cells sold between late 2007 and beginning of 2014) can only charge in pairs. I call it 'semi-smart' at best.
- The MQR06 (introduced to US market in 2012) is faster, handles individual cells and accepts 100-240V AC input. But it is a lot more expensive.

Previously, I often recommended using either Sony BCG34HLD or BCG34HRE to recharge eneloop cells, instead of bundled Sanyo eneloop chargers. Unfortunately, both chargers are now marked as "discontinued by manufacturer" on Amazon.

Finally, Panasonic (who purchased Sanyo back in 2009) released the new BQ-CC17 charger for eneloop cells. It offers the following advantages over previous value-priced chargers.
- Charges 1-4 cells individually.
- Individual battery status light for each cell.
- Accepts 100-240V AC voltage, good for use world-wide.
- More compact than the MQN06.

The advertised charging current is 300mA for AA, 150mA for AAA. That means it takes at least 7 hours to recharge a set of 2000mAh eneloop AA cells. (2000mAh/300mA = ~7 hr). I have verified this by charging two eneloop AA cells that are 50% depleted, together with two that are completed depleted. The charger took 3.5-4 hours to finish the first group, and 7-8 hours to finish the second.

The actual charging current I measured is pulsed between 0 and 1200mA at 25% duty cycle, which gives an average current of 300mA. This is better than charging with a fixed 300mA DC current, because the -dV/dt (negative delta voltage) detection can be done more reliably at 1200mA peak current.

Some other notes:
- Similar to the design of MQR06, the indicator lights are hidden underneath plastic case. They turn green when charging, and off when done.
- Even with a low charging current of 300mA, the batteries do get warm to the touch near the end of charging process. This is normal.
- The charger is made in China. The batteries are made in Japan.

Now for the 4th-generation eneloop cells: as far as I can tell, they are mechanically identical to the 3rd-gen and 2nd-gen eneloop cells. Electrically, I can see no performance difference between 4th-gen and all earlier generations of eneloop cells. Even their charge-retention rates are indistinguishable (I have tested some first-gen eneloop cells after 3.5 years in storage, and they still retain over 70% of original capacity). The only difference is in the advertised cycle life ratings. In real life, can anyone tell the difference between '2100' and '1800' cycles? (Please don't answer '300'!)

[Bottom Line]
The new Panasonic BQ-CC17 is a real improvement over previous eneloop value chargers. It is worthwhile to get this package just for the charger. On the other hand, the new 4th-gen eneloop cells offer no measureable performance difference over earlier generations. I see no reasons to pay extra just for new wrappers.

If you are value-conscious, consider the AmazonBasics NiMH Pre-Charged Batteries in white wrappers. Those are just rebranded 2nd-gen eneloop cells based on my testing.

[Update on Aug 24, 2014]
The more I use the BQ-CC17 the more I like it. In many cases some of my batteries were over-discharged to 0V and cannot be detected by advanced chargers such as La Crosse BC1000. But the BQ-CC17 has no problems recharging those.

Amazon also sells the 'Advanced Charger Pro', often bundled with 'Eneloop Pro' High Capacity Batteries. The 'Pro' charger is the same BQ-CC17 in black. The 'Eneloop Pro' batteries are just repackaged Sanyo XX, with capacity rating bumped up from 2500 to 2550mAh.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best got better....Why LSD batteries are the way to go..., June 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Summary: Eneloop are the gold standard in LSD Batteries, and they are now that much better...If you don't know what an LSD battery is, you should find out.

LSD= Low Self Discharge. Some companies call them "Pre-charged," but it's the same thing.

I've been a fan of rechargables since the 70's when my father had a bunch of GE Nicad cells which had capacity of perhaps 400 mAH. Nicads had so much more punch than alkaline batteries. For years and years I kept chasing the performance promise of higher capacity, 1200 mAH, 1400mAH, 1800mAH, 2100 mAH, 2300 mAH, 2500 mAH!!! 2650mAH!!!!!

Well, I ended up having all sorts of problems with the 2500 and 2650. It turns out that, besides a slightly larger diameter case which caused fit problems in some devices, they also had horrendous self- discharge. Easily half the charge was gone in a month, and in 2-3 months they were often dead.

After finding out about Eneloops (Sanyo Eneloop was the original LSD battery chemistry: Panasonic = Sanyo = Eneloop after Sanyo was bought out by Panasonic), I've phased over - perhaps 80% of my rechargeables are now LSD. The earlier LSD were 2000 mAH, as are these. These newer ones are good for 2100 cycles. Note that there is an alternate type of eneloop "XX" that give you 2500 mAH, but they are supposedly only good for 500 cycles. 500 cycles isn't bad though - even if you were to recharge them once a week you would still get 10 years... I've had good luck with other brands of LSD - Duracell Precharged and Amazonbasics White (The Amazonbasics black are made in China, the white ones are made in Japan and believed to be made by Panasonic)

Brief history of rechargeable batteries: In the beginning there was NiCad and all was good, but people found that the cells of Nicad had memory and that was bad. So then there were the cells of NiMH which could store more power than Nicad and had no memory, and that was good.

But these cells of NiMH also lost charge (self-discharge) fairly quickly, so that in a few months they were dead, and this was almost worse than memory. Alas, the men were angry and the women lamenting "Why have the electrons of NiMH abandoned us?

Then the prophet Sanyo came and said "I have made a NiMH cell that has a very low self discharge and I will give it a name like no other. I will call it ENELOOP"

And all the people said "Huh?" for the name was goofy in addition to being like no other. But soon the land was filled with celebration as they found that these batteries would hold their charge for months, even as long as a year!

The latest Eneloops recharge 1500 times, the earlier, 1000. Assuming you charge them every other day, that's 5-1/2 years for the older ones, over 8 years for the "Eneloop 1500" Other people rebrand Eneloop as their own (Most of the Duracell "pre-charged" appear to be Eneloop) but I still prefer the original - especially as the price isn't that much less for the other brands.

If you have questions or comments, or if you found this review helpful, please let me know!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap 4xAA / AAA charger with individual charge control. But without retail packaging?, May 22, 2014
*** Updated 22nd June 2014 (scroll down to bottom of review)
_______

Panasonic bought Sanyo a while ago and they have taken control of their fantastic eneloop rechargeable products. Though this charger is not branded eneloop it does show the word ADVANCED on the charger. Tempting...

INDIVIDUAL CHARGING
I was always frustrated with Sanyo's most common (cheaper, bundled) 4xAA battery chargers since they require charging batteries in pairs of 2 or 4 cells at a time (though not all the chargers they offer insist on charging in pairs). This charger allows any combination of AA and AAA to be charged since each cell is treated individually. I'm excited to see this change at this price point and in a 4xAA / AAA model.

100-240V WORLD VOLTAGE
Users from countries outside the USA (and those who like to travel overseas with their rechargeables) will be happy to know this charger can run with world voltages, so all you need to plug in is a cheap travel adapter. The back of the unit has a flip-out US-style plug. No removable "figure 8" cable (or similar) is provided. The unit plugs into the power point.

CHARGING
The charge rate seems to be the same as my old NC-MQN06U
300mA for AA (~7 hours for fully depleted standard AA eneloop)
150mA for AAA (~6 hours for fully depleted standard AAA eneloop)

These are very safe charge rates and probably mean better longevity for your batteries. Fans of faster charging (and more heat generation) should look elsewhere. If the charge rate were too slow the charger probably won't detect peak voltage well. So this is good.

LEDs IN PAIRS?
One of the claims here is that each battery is individually charged instead of it being done in pairs (which can overcharge or undercharge some cells depending on their individual characteristics). There are 4 LEDs on this charger, showing when each cell is charging and when it's complete. The 4 LEDs that light up when you are charging 4 cells are hidden below the plastic surface. You can't see the LEDs until you start charging. When you first turn the charger on, the LEDs light up one-by-one from left to right and then start glowing green. The light shines through the white plastic surface on the bottom part of the charger (below the negative poles of the batteries). The 4 LEDs unfortunately don't sit centred under each battery but rather in 2 pairs (even though this charger is showing individual charge status for each cell). Each green LED is not situated directly in the middle of each battery's negative pole, but rather occupies that bit of space closer to bottom middle of each pair of batteries. Panasonic probably made some PCB savings here. After the charging is complete, the green LEDs simply turn off. Getting to know which battery is charged when looking at the charger from some distance can be a little tricky since each LED is not centred under each battery (but it's no big deal after a closer look). It's truly a beautiful thing to see each green LED turn off individually when the charge is done for that particular cell, especially if you are coming from a charger that charged in pairs (or maybe it's just me). Finally we have individual charge channels in a reasonably-priced (ie. cheap) 4xAA / AAA charger! We don't have to live with those chargers that increase current rates when only 1 cell is populated too (possibly affecting the longevity of the cell by charging it faster and generating more heat in the cell). I like these changes.

AESTHETICS
The charger is a fair bit more compact than the NC-MQN06U (for example). Panasonic decided to finish the top surface of the charger in a gloss surface while the sides were kept matte. Bottom of the unit is matte except for where the text is printed. My unit shows "03-14" in the bottom-right. I assume it was manufactured March 2014, which makes it quite new since I'm writing this in May 2014. The gloss surface on the top makes handling a bit more slippery and gives distracting reflections but it's not a big deal. I'm just not sure why they didn't stick with matte like previous chargers.

PACKAGING
I was taken aback at the packaging (or lack of). I bought the charger alone (without any bundled AA cells) since I have plenty of eneloops. My unit arrived with charger and instruction sheet simply shrink-wrapped together. That's it. No retail packaging. It was a very OEM-ish experience. So my charger is not really suitable for gift-giving or any retail display (and there I was thinking Panasonic would proudly want to tell me about its new ADVANCED charger in great detail...). Maybe I should have bought the recently-released new 2100-cycle eneloop AAs bundled with this charger instead? I just never expected the charger to be packaged shrink-wrapped with the instructions. I can understand if Panasonic doesn't intend to sell the charger alone at retail stores and instead focus on the bundles and Power Packs (which must be far more popular) but I still didn't expect this. My unit was dancing around inside a bigger box, hitting into other things...just packed loosely. Since the charger was not totally sealed (each end of the shrink-wrap has a hole) this just didn't leave me with a good first impression since the charger's power pins were protruding a bit and hitting into my other items in the box. OK, I think that's enough talk about the packaging.

CONCLUSION
Bottom-line: I like the unit. It's a nice improvement over Sanyo's common 'cheapie' 4xAA chargers that can only charge in pairs. It seems to be great charger if you are not in a rush to charge your cells (I'm not). The BQ-CC17 should keep your cells in top condition without the heat generated (and possible longevity concerns) when charging with higher currents (400-500mA+) while at the same time not charging too slowly for reliable peak voltage detection. So this charger (and all bundles using this charger) are easy to recommend. Little annoyances were the positioning of green LEDs not being ideal plus a gloss top surface and non-retail shrink-wrap packaging. Despite these little niggles, this charger (and probably all bundles using this charger) are very easy to recommend. 4 stars.

*** UPDATE (22nd June 2014) ***
I've just found a set of batteries that the Panasonic BQ-CC17 won't charge.

I had two old Olympus Camedia AA Ni-MH cells that were being used in kitchen scales (2300mAh, made in Japan). They were heavily discharged (kitchen scales reported them as "Lo"). These Olympus batteries are pre-eneloop days so they are not the 'low-self-discharge' type that we are used to with eneloops so they tend to lose their charge when sitting around. Anyway, they refused to charge in the Panasonic BQ-CC17. After the usual brief 'detection' period in the charger, the lights started flashing on and off quickly rather than remain lit with a steady green. I left the batteries (2 of them) in the charger for the several hours and the lights were still flashing. I confirmed this with 2 separate Panasonic BQ-CC17 units. The Panasonic manual states: "LED charge indicator lights will begin blinking rapidly after plugging the device in to the AC outlet. The LED lights will become solid indicating charging has begun." No solid lights mean no charge. I tested the voltage on the cells and confirmed it.

To be fair these batteries were heavily discharged but I tried charging them in the La Crosse BC-700 which had no trouble charging them (or detecting them; sometimes the La Crosse can show "null" on heavily discharged cells). I don't know how likely this is in-the-wild but just thought I'd report it and I'd be interested to hear from others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy a good smart charger too., June 10, 2014
I now have 28 of the Eneloop XX AA batteries. I use them in every thing from remote controls to a digital camera. I use them in a Nitecore EA8 900 lumen searchlight, a game camera and other flashlights and cameras. I have never had a single complaint or problem with them. Some I have had for 3 years and are still holding 2600 mAh and some as high as 2700 mAh. Panasonic now owns Sanyo and the newest AA batteries look a little different, but have more capacity (it says). The package states they're minimum capacity is 2450mAh and the old ones 2400mAh, however I have never had one with a capacity below 2600mAh.
I bought a La Crosse BC-500 to use in a car with solar cells as it is the only La Crosse that can be used this way, with a 12 v plug included. This one tells me the capacity of each battery. I recently bought a Titanium Innovations MD-1600L charger that can also has a car 12v plug and has 2 usb plugs so I can charge phones, tablets, iPods and such at he same time I'm charging 1 to 16 batteries.
If your going to be using rechargeable batteries, get a smart charger so they will last a very long time. Chargers that use a timer, such as those that come in a package with the batteries, will eventually damage them and/or the batteries will not last very long at all. Heat is what kills these batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars I used to HATE rechargeable batteries, August 1, 2014
For years I stayed away from rechargeable batteries because they always seemed to drain so quickly and had the "memory" problem. About two years ago I started buying the Envelops and I couldn't be more pleased. I've been using them in literally everything in our household that requires batteries and not only have a saved a ton of money on the regular non rechargeables but I feel like I'm helping the environment by reducing potentially harmful waste. I may be imagining it, and I haven't "tested" it but these seem to last every bit as long as regular batteries. If they don't, they're awfully close and when they do run out, the spares hold a charge so I've always got fresh ones and overnight the used ones are as good as new. I cannot imagine going back to buying those huge packs of batteries at Costco!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eneloop pro are beastly AA batteries, May 26, 2014
This review is only for the AA "Eneloop Pro" batteries, as I did not purchase the charger combo. For starters, these batteries are rated 2450-2550mAh. I charged them up at 800mAh (and I do not recommend this charge rate as it heated up the batteries too much), let them cool, popped them into my flash, and used it for one day. Their remaining capacity was about ~1400mAh, after a discharge to ~.89V per cell. I then discharged them again to the same ~.89V at a 400mAh discharge rate, as I didn't monitor the first discharge and wanted to make sure the task was completed. I then charged them at a 400mAh rate for 6:50-7:02 (hours:minutes) in an individual cell charger. Their capacities were a remarkable 2818, 2719, 2762, 2770 mAh. There seems to be a bit of variance, but the capacity is rather high. I will try to include a picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better Than Before!, May 16, 2014
RT6 (Thousand Oaks, CA) - See all my reviews
Just began using the new Panasonic eneloop battery cells. These batteries hold 70% of their charge for up to 5 years (when I am storing them). Wow!! I love being able to charge the cells (even though they are nearly fully charged out of the package) and store them in a drawer until I need them. They are "light years ahead" of any rechargeable battery I have ever used.

I have also tried the new Panasonic CC17 charger and this is a great new unit. The old charger was very reliable but this one allows me to individually charge eneloop cells. After a cell is fully charged, the charging light goes out so I know that cell is completely charged. It removes all of the guess work and allows me to insert batteries one at a time if needed.

Used these eneloop batteries for my daughters graduation just the other day and everyone around me was amazed at the fact that I could put my DSLR camera in burst mode and the flash required no refresh time. One successive flash after another.

Great product. Even better than before!

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked these enough that I bought more, May 30, 2014
I originally purchased a combination set of these eneloops that included the charger a few months back as I needed some decent rechargeable batteries for a variety of tasks including some solar lights. I actually didn't know much about these at the time but the price was right and I decided to give them a shot. And after using several of them for different things, I have been nothing but impressed, they are reliable and charge without memory and I liked them so much and have used most of the original set in the different things I needed AA batteries, I decided to purchase an additional 16 pack of them (direct from Amazon) (no charger).

Good batteries, maintain a good charge, rechargeable a lot without gaining a memory, what else can I ask for in a battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars ((( CHARGING STANDARD AA ALKALINE BATTERIES ))), August 31, 2014
UPDATE: I just checked, and the charger and batteries I purchased, from amazon, look just like this but it is a SANYO charger. So keep that in mind as you read this review.

I had to find out on my own that rechargeable batteries, like these, hold a 1.2 volt charge rather than the standard 1.5 volts of average alkaline batteries. That is why a day after charging they no longer test fully charged as they did right after recharging them. So far I like these eneloop batteries and the charger I have purchased. I am assuming these batteries hold their charge a lot longer than standard rechargeable batteries. I haven't tested that theory yet.

However, the main reason I am here today is because of an experiment I conducted last night. After researching into the matter I was told that you should not recharge standard alkaline batteries because they can get too hot and explode. That is the OFFICIAL STORY. I studied that the way around this was to either use a timer or only charge the alkaline batteries for about 45 minutes at a time then give them time to cool down before charging them for another 45 minutes. It was said that about 4 or 5 cycles of this type of charging should be enough to recharge a standard alkaline battery.

Last night I put a couple of Duracell AA batteries, rather drained from one of my remotes, into the eneloop battery charger. I used a kitchen timer set at 45 minutes and, on top of this, checked the batteries periodically to make certain they did not get too hot. Even after 45 minutes of charging they were sightly warm, but not hot enough for any real concern. My old Radio Shack quick charger used to get my rechargeable batteries so friggin hot...well...this eneloop charger is nowhere near as dangerous as that old Radio Shack quick charger, that much is for certain.

So, after 45 minutes of charging the AA Duracell alkaline batteries were warm, but not hot at all so I left them in the charger and reset the timer for another 45 minutes. I checked them about 20 minutes later to find that the little light underneath the batteries, on the charger, was flashing. This was something I have never seen that light do. I touched the batteries and they were cool to the touch. That sure surprised me. I then tested the batteries and they were fully charged and ready to go!

Here it is the next day and I figured it would be a good idea to test them again and they are still holding a full charge!!! What a surprise!! The Eneloop charger fully charged my Duracell alkaline AA batteries and automatically turned itself off when they were fully charged.

Was this a fluke? I don't think so, but I intend to test this again next time I feel the need to. So far...IT WORKED FOR ME!

5.0 out of 5 stars Decipher Codes!, September 12, 2014
Lot's of confusion about "codes" so I found a nice link that explains it all. Amazon should put this on their web site to stop the confusion.

Standard Eneloop models:

...AA: BK-3MCC 2100cycels Min.1900mAh
......C: BK-2MGC 1000cycles Min.3000mAh
......D: BK-1MGC 1000cycles Min.5700mAh

1=D 2=C 3=AA 4=AAA

I just ordered these and got the 4th gen!!!!

Rate and Discover Movies