We tested *most* of the top-selling vacuums on Amazon, in side-by-side tests. First, two observations:

Published 19 months ago by Mad Max

3.0 out of 5 stars Depending on your needs...could be more stars for certain...
This little and lightweight Panasonic will not satisfy everyone's cleaning needs.

Over the years, I have had many vacuum cleaners...Sears, Hoover, Eureka, Panasonic and Dyson. Nice to have a vacuum on each floor and if you are lucky enough, one in the basement!

As to this unit:

Pluses:
Lightweight.
Maneuverable.
On board...
Published on July 31, 2012 by An Educated Consumer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum from Panasonic - lightweight, lossless suction comparable to Dyson. But read on for side-by-side comparisons..., January 16, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic "Jet Force Bagless" Upright Vacuum Cleaner MC-UL425, Dynamic Blue & Black finish (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

(1) Dyson is not the "best" vacuum ever made, but they do have the best marketing. If you're looking for the "best" vacuum, let's reframe the question a little bit - perhaps what's the best vacuum under $500 or under $1000? If you're looking for the "best", be prepared to spend a minimum of $2,000-$3,000 for a commercial upright or whole-house system.

(2) About rating systems - only side-by-side comparisons make sense to us. A friend owns a Ferrari, and complains about expensive tune-ups. He would give his Ferrari 3 stars on a bad day, 4 stars on a good day. My dad really likes his Hyundai, and would give it 5 stars. Does that make Hyundai better than Ferrari? We believe only in comparing apples to apples.

Wish we could just say "XYZ is the best at everything, buy it!" ... but the fact is, each vacuum has its pros and cons. Some are better at area rugs & stairs, some are better at carpet, some are flawless for smaller homes/apartments but not great for larger houses. Read on for comparisons:

PANASONIC

Ok, to stick with the car analogy ... the engine isn't really the most important thing. Even if your car had a Ferrari engine, the overall performance varies by the comfort of the seats, how smooth is the ride, the settings & controls, how noisy is it, etc.

This Panasonic has a Ferrari motor, as good as Dyson. You won't find a better motor. But that does not make it equivalent - it's a much different vacuum. Here is the breakdown:

PRO: It is the lightest of all the premium vacuums we tested. Very cool, very easy to maneuver.

CON: That means, everything on it is small, including the filter. Requires frequent changing.

PRO: Retractable cord, auto-height adjustment (i.e., no manual low-high settings),

CON: The auto-height adjustment doesn't work on all surfaces, and the brush continues to roll when attachments are used (i.e. on hardwood floors)

PRO: Lossless suction (like Dyson) and bagless filter

CON: The "hourglass" filter design doesn't really work unless you're only vacuuming small areas at a time. I was hoping this vacuum would require less rinsing of the filter due to this design, but no, it actually requires more frequent rinsing, especially for pet owners.

Summary of the Panasonic: I'm actually very impressed, but it really depends on your individual needs. For example, we have several different flooring types in our house (carpet, hardwood with area rugs, tile, etc) and this vacuum is probably better suited for someone with all carpet. Before you buy, I strongly suggest you check out the Eureka Airspeed &/or the Hoover Windtunnel. Read on for comparisons...

DYSON:

The least expensive Dyson is the (Dyson DC33 Multi-Floor Upright) currently selling on Amazon for $349-399. If you absolutely need a Dyson to impress the neighbors, this is the best bang for your buck.

However, after testing over a dozen different models, we discovered several brands for around $100 that perform just as well. Does the Dyson live up to its marketing claims? YES it does in our opinion, fantastic quality and lossless suction.

But here's an interesting experiment - look for Dyson on craigslist from just about any major city. You'll find dozens of people with buyer's remorse, who paid full price for a Dyson, realized that much less expensive models perform just as well, and are trying to sell their barely used Dysons in an attempt to recoup their investment.

HOOVER WINDTUNNEL:

These are fantastic vacuums, nearly on par with the Dyson, and currently the #1 selling upright vacuum on Amazon. They have near-lossless suction, lots of attachments, & bagless. We would put them as almost exactly on par with the Bissell Helix, but currently the (Hoover WindTunnel) is only $99 on Amazon.

The auto-rewind cord is a commonly reported malfunction (the one we tested started to lose its spring after about 20 minutes, like an old set of window shades) and both the brush & belts tend to fail early as well. But as previously mentioned, all vacuums have drawbacks and design quirks. A huge perk is that the WindTunnel has a rinsable filter. Based on bang-for-your-buck, this is our top recommendation along with the Eureka Airspeed. You can't go wrong with it.

EUREKA AIRSPEED:

There are several different Airspeed models (Amazon currently sells the "Gold" model for $110). There are three different standard "Airspeed" models at Walmart ranging from $98 to $135, which is what we tested. They all have slightly different features - bagged vs. bagless, see-through brushroll, etc.

In our tests, the bagless models performed on par with the Dyson. The Airspeed had slightly better sustained suction than the Hoover WindTunnel, if you keep the filter clean. For around $100, both the Hoover & the Airspeed can hold their own against just about any other vacuum in the under $600 price point.

SHARK:

Shark has done a major turnaround in recent years, with extremely respectable upright vacuums with impressive suction. The 2 popular models are the (Navigator Upright) currently selling for $150 on Amazon, and the (Shark Navigator Lift-Away) for $199.

Basically these are great vacuums, almost as good as the Hoover WindTunnel or Eureka Airspeed. However the price point is higher for basically the same performance, so you're really paying for the amenities, like the lift-away feature. The lift-away is very cool, but unless you absolutely need it, we still recommend going with the under $100 Eureka or Hoover.

If you're looking at the Liftaway because you like the idea of having a canister vac, consider buying a separate canister vac (you'll still end up saving money, *if* you have the storage space). Or consider getting a nice lightweight shop vac with a long hose (we like the Ridgid 4 Gallon Portable Shop Vac, which is $91 on Amazon but only $50 at Home Depot. If you don't have the space for two devices, the Liftaway is a terrific option.

ORECK:

The Oreck 8 lb. Upright is a fantastic vacuum, out of the box there's nothing under $1,000 with better suction. Currently the price is $167 on Amazon, which is a fantastic price point (retail is about $350). The Oreck is known for their strong motors that last forever and ever.

However, it is not a lossless suction (you must keep it clean, change the bag, etc., to keep the performance up), and there are no attachments whatsoever - no hose, no stair brush, etc. A great buy if you just need an upright vacuum with no amenities.

BISSELL CLEANVIEW HELIX:

The Bissell Helix Cleanview is a step up from the previous Helix models (such as the Power Helix - this model is updated, just a few more amenities), but the suction performs the same. The suction is quite impressive at first, maybe 90-95% as strong as the Dyson.

The difference is, the "Helix" sorts out the large debris, but the small debris still ends up in the filter and WILL eventually clog it. Not a big deal - replace the filter (they run about $7 for 2-packs here on Amazon), and I suggest taking apart the canister and rinsing it out, or running it through the dishwasher (top shelf, cold or luke-warm water, air dry, not heat dry).

If you're a Bissel fan, this model is a great deal. A durable workhorse. But if you're just looking for great Dyson-quality suction, the Panasonic Jet Force, Hoover Windtunnel, & Eureka Airspeed performed better for the same price.

DIRT DEVIL:

We tested several models (Breeze, Easy Clean, Dynamite) - they are all basically the same, just different price points depending on size of canister, number of attachments, and size of motor (10 amp vs 12 amp).

All performed basically the same - mediocre suction, easy clogging, poor design (many right-angle turns for pet hair &/or debris to clog up). We frequently see these on sale at Target and other retailers for under $30 or $40. Our recommendation: If you're looking for an inexpensive dorm vacuum for very occasional/light use (like office use), these are fine but don't pay more than $40. These are entry level vacuums.

Hope this helps - thanks for reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum, September 19, 2012
Purchased this vacuum in August 2012...I would rate it highly. Only complaint is that the top round 4 inch filter on the unit seems to get dirty rather quickly (which probably means it's working fine to trap dust). All you have to do is wash it out with water to clean it...the problem is that it takes forever for it to dry out (24 hours is suggested). Thus you can't use the vacuum until that filter is completely dry. I ended up having to purchase a second filter, which I can pop in while the first one is drying, should you want to use the vacuum again in less than 24 hours.
Took me awhile with Panasonic on the phone to get the part number and finally get it ordered. (Part Number: AC44KDMTZOOO Price: $11.44 plus shipping and tax)

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, Small to Mid-Size Vacuum Cleaner (4-stars), July 26, 2012
Length:: 5:29 Mins

In this video, I demonstrate the operation and features of the Panasonic Jet Force Bagless Vacuum cleaner. You will see its vacuum power, how it moves from hardwood floors to an area rug and back again, and its accessories. Quick opinion summary: this is a good choice for apartments, smaller houses, and to keep handy in areas that need frequent touch-ups.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann

3.0 out of 5 stars Depending on your needs...could be more stars for certain..., July 31, 2012

As to this unit:

Pluses:
Lightweight.
Maneuverable.
On board attachments, easily removed and stored.
Good for quick carpet cleanups.
Fringes seem to be safely vacuumed for the most part...use caution here, however. Your own rugs may be too delicate for this pass over.
Retractable cord of good length for such a small unit.
Easy on off switch.
Hint for mats without rubberized backing...start in middle of mat working back and forth in short strokes.

Minuses:
Agitator does remain on even when the unit is traveling across the floor (called Panasonic to verify on this unit). One would believe that an agitator on a hardwood floor is not a good thing.
No adjustment in suction using main unit or attachments. Attachments can often be too powerful for some items and not enough power for others.
Would not use on expensive area rugs as their is no suction adjustment...may pull fibers.
Very, very small dustbin...have to empty too often.
Awkward, at times, the engagement foot press for bringing the vacuum main nozzle to regular height and lower height for going under some furniture. (It seems there are no uprights that can really travel safely under lower furniture pieces.)
Unit does not adapt to all carpet height switch overs and may be difficult to navigate over mats without a rubberized backing, etc.
Attachments...mini power nozzle not that effective and will not do a thorough job on furniture.

Overall...this unit would be ideal as a quick spare or for an apartment with wall to wall carpeting.

Individual needs require special selection of vacuums.

My workhorse is still the expensive, long lasting Dyson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum for a great price!, August 12, 2012
I bought this vacuum because I have two dead ones at home and my house was getting filthy. I was skeptical about buying a vacuum made by a TV company, but it blew me out of the water! Even when my old vacuums were brand new, they had nothing on this!! I have two cats that shed like it is going out of style and this doesn't leave anything behind! I am a little sad that I have to empty the canister often because the chamber is tiny, but it is worth it to be able to walk around barefoot on my carpet and it feeling like it is brand new! I would recommend this to anyone!

2.0 out of 5 stars its ok, i wish i couldve tried before i buy, October 16, 2012
It does have plenty of power and suction. It is light weight and easy to maneuver. The bad is that if you have the new shag style thick pyle carpet then you will see how hard this vacuum is to use. You have to hold it at a very uncomfortable angle since there is not height adjustment. The height adjustment is the angle you put on he handle. That's just weird for me. So you have to have the right handle angle combination for it to not hang up on the thick carpet. I am in the process of trying to return it to the company I bought it from as his is a lot of money to spend on something that isn't easily usable on my carpet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good vacuum cleaner, October 11, 2012
I've always wanted a dyson, but its just too far out of my price range. I saw an article re: Good Housing Keeping recommended vacuum cleaners that are affordable. They talked about canister, bagless upright, and a bagged upright. Since I wanted a bagless that's what I focused on and this is the one they recommended based on all their testing. It comes in purple, blue, and orange and each color is a different price. Purple being the most expensive and orange the least. I bought the orange (which is a good vacumm cleaner) but it does not have a retractable cord, this is the one feature I wanted so I returned it and bought the blue. I'm not sure what the difference is between the blue and purple are and why the purple is about $20 more than the blue because I did not research past making sure the blue had a retractable cord. It does not clog and cleans very well and has a retractable cord. I'm not picky about color either and would have kept the orange if it had all the features I was looking for. In my opinion the organge cleans just as well and since you can get it on Amazon for under $100 that is the one I recommend if you do not care about a retractable cord. I'm very happy with my choice to get the blue one because I love the retractable cord feature.

2.0 out of 5 stars misleading information, March 31, 2013
The reason I purchased a Panasonic MC-UL425 was to clean my hard wood and tile flooring without the brushes moving. The Panasonic web site says this model has the bare floor option and says there is a switch on the side of the unit that allows you to turn off the brushes. After I received the product I found that this is not true. I emailed Panasonic and they confirmed that this model does not have this feature. So, I returned the item.

The unit seemed to function well and had a lot of power. I really liked it, but this missing feature made it a no go for me. I returned it, and am not happy because it cost $35.oo to ship it back. I purchased a different vacuum at a local store where I could test it and return it with no shipping charges if necessary.

This is not a problem with the unit, but with Panasonic's web site showing incorrect information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic "Jet Force Bagless" Upright Vacuum Cleaner MC-UL425, Dynamic Blue & Black finish, August 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What a nice surprise this Jet Force Vacuum Cleaner has been! I love the look of this vacuum, the suction is fantastic and it is really easy to maneuver across carpet and around furniture. We have always owned larger uprights that are heavier and just more difficult for me to use, so lucky me - my sweet husband runs the vacuum in our house most of the time. I would dred a mess that required getting out the beast, our pricey Riccar vacuum. He probably will still run the vacuum for a total, all over the house cleaning, but for me to be able to pull the Jet Force upright out of the closet to use for a quick once-over the living room or the kitchen hardwoods, is much easier now with this Panasonic cleaner, and actually kind of enjoyable!

It's easy to pick up and move, though still not super light-weight, it is manageable. The suction is fantastic and the retractable cord is one of my FAVORITE features of this vacuum. I hate winding up those cords on those flimsy u hooks on most of the sweepers we have owned. This vacuum has a single cord retract button you push and it automatically whips up the cord inside the vacuum and done! The cord could be three or four feet longer, but it is really sufficient for most of our rooms in our home. It is also very easy to empty and I actually like the bagless feature of this cleaner.

My only negative is that the hose/tubing to use the attachments is way, way too short. It really makes cleaning the stairs a bit difficult and requires a strong arm to 'stretch it out' to get the length required to do 5-7 steps. My husband doesn't mind this 'shortage' as much as I do, and neither did our 17 year old son. If he were doing this review, he would likely give it 5 stars. The Jet Force would make a great college vacuum, but is excellent for all over the house as well. Love it! (review written by my wife)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, November 19, 2012
I checked the reviews on this vacuum and they were convincing. (I love the comment that said "this vacuum sucks"!!) Now I sure am glad I picked this one. I was looking for a lightweight, easy to use and inexpensive vacuum. I had looked at stores like Target, Sears, JCP, Kohl's, etc. for Eureka, Hoover and Bissell and wasn't thrilled about any of them because I thought they were bulky. This Panasonic model is sleek, works very well, and I love the self-winding cord. Also, the loop-type handle is easier to use, to my surprise. Oh, assembly was super easy unlike some other brands. Just screw in the handle section and connect the hose. No IKEA required here.
Somebody mentioned that the dust compartment is small. Well, it is smaller than my former "Bissell lift-off", but heck, with the cup so easy to empty, we don't want to store the dust in there forever anyway, do we? By the way, Panasonic is a HUGE HOME APPLIANCE manufacturer in Japan. They make everything - not just TVs and electronics! Their products are very dependable. For the price and free shipping, you can't lose!

Rate and Discover Movies