5.0 out of 5 stars Great point-and-shoot camera
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:46 Mins
Published on July 19, 2011 by Claire Jordan

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with low light. What's up with small point and shoots these days?
After having owned Sony Cybershot point-and-shoots exclusively for the past few years (in addition to a DSLR Canon RebelX) I decided to try a new brand because the current line of small Sony cams are mysteriously way worse in quality than what's come before. I just got this Lumix today and have been fiddling with it in low light situations and it's nowhere near the...
Published on January 19, 2012 by Michele

5.0 out of 5 stars Great point-and-shoot camera, July 19, 2011
Length:: 1:46 Mins

This camera has many features to recommend it: the on/off button is secure so you can't accidentally turn it off when you're shooting (I've done that about a thousand times on my other cameras,) it's super-compact, has an optical telephoto lens, easy-to-navigate menus, and decent battery life. But the thing that's most important to me: can I use it without worrying about which setting it's on? Yep, I can. It's a solid point-and-shooter. You can set it on auto and it will take very nice pictures without the need for any fuddling with the menus.

The video shows the quality of the photos. They were taken at a New Orleans house museum where the lighting is varied and can be a little tricky. The photos look great, especially the ones of the spiral staircase. The detail is impressive. This is a great little camera.

I do like the large lcd touchscreen on my older Fuji Z700, but the picture quality seems a little better on the Lumix, so it's destine to become the camera that I carry in my bag for instant use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact Lumix is a Perfect Companion, May 30, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH2 is a is part of the Lumix line of cameras. Lumix cameras range from SLR-like sophistication to simple point and shoot meant for taking pictures of friends and family at get-togethers. I've used cameras in the Lumix line for several years and I've always been pleased by quality of the pictures. For some reason, the pictures from a Lumix really "pop" compared to other cameras.

The DMC-FH2 is consistent with other Lumix cameras. There are multiple scene modes available for control of your pictures, generally, you choose Intelligent Auto (IA) when you want to camera to choose the correct combination of flash, depth of field, focus points, and shutter speed. You can also manually choose how the camera will operate based on scene type such as portrait, night photography, or landscape (there are many variations).

Unlike others cameras in the Lumix line, this does not have a dedicated mode button; that is done scrolling through options on the screen. The main disadvantage of this approach is that instead of a dedicated movie button, you must scroll to the correct mode on the screen. I found this inconvenient and does not lend itself to quickly jumping into movie mode when the need arises.

The zoom range isn't particularly wide at 5x, but given the compact dimensions of this camera, its reasonable. It's sufficient for most uses, although it may leave you wishing for more range if you're travelling. On the other hand, the zoom button is positioned nicely, so it's very easy to quickly frame your picture. Shutter lag is non-existent. The rest of the controls are consistent with the Panasonic line from the last 4-5 years which is a good thing. All in all, the experience using it is overwhelmingly positive.

The pictures themselves are excellent and well lit using either natural light or the fill-flash. The 14M pixels (!) give you plenty pixels to blow-up, crop, or do editing, but keep in mind this is a small camera with a tiny lens, so don't expect to get sharp pictures if you blow the pictures up on your PC. For most uses, I don't believe this will be an issue.

Movies mode is a bit disappointing. In addition to the control problems I mentioned previously, the camera will not zoom in or out once you start taking the movie. Whatever the zoom position was when you started taking the movie, thats what you'll get. I can't figure out why they added this limitation (motor noise from the zoom perhaps?), but its particularly frustrating and makes the movie function significantly less useful. The good news is the movies are in QuickTime .mov format so should be readable and editable on either PC's or Macs in almost any picture or movie editing software.

The screen, like all new Lumix cameras is big, bright and useful to determine if your last pictures was blurry. Whatever Panasonic uses as the material for this screen is very scratch resistant. I always carry the Lumix cameras in my pocket with no cover and the screens have never scratched.

Battery life seems reasonable. In standby mode, the batteries do not drain away too quickly, and in general use where you take 1-2 pictures, turn off the camera, then shut it off and repeat, I was able to go an entire weekend travelling and at party taking about 150 pictures and the camera's battery indicator showed full.

In summary, this is a compact, well made camera that is perfect to carry along in a shirt pocket when a bulkier camera doesn't make sense. If your photographic needs are simple, its a great one-and-only camera. It has all the usual goodness of the Lumix line (sharp pictures, vibrant colors), an IA mode that will suit 90% of all point-and-shoot needs. And the ability to manually choose a scene mode when the IA system isn't doing what you need.

Pros:
1) Consistently excellent pictures
2) Small, compact
3) Beautifully made
4) Ease of use
5) Intelligent Auto (IA) makes photography easy
6) Control system maturity

Cons:
1) No zoom in movie mode
2) No dedicated movie button
3) Somewhat limited zoom range

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera, May 27, 2011
I bought this camera with the main intention of using it for digiscoping with a Vortex Razor spotting scope. The camera worked excellent for this purpose, no vignetting, easy to change ISO setting and it takes bright crisp images through the scope. I also have been using it as a pocket point and shoot camera and the pictures it takes are amazing. Macro shots of spring flowers are bright and crisp and I have taken some of my best coastal sunset pictures with this camera using the sunset feature. My other camera is a Nikon Coolpix S6000 and the Lumix has became my go to camera.

Battery life seems good but I wish that it could be charged using the USB cable. You have to take the battery out of the camera and insert it into the wall charger.

One reviewer said they had difficulty viewing the LCD screen on a bright day. I live in Nevada and we have a lot of bright days and I haven't had any trouble viewing the screen.

I would recommend this camera for everyday general use and digiscoping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Point & Shoot!, May 11, 2011
This is my first camera, so my #1 priority was to find a camera that was easy to use. The DMC-FH2 was just what I was looking for:

- Small and lightweight, you can take it on the go just about anywhere (It's smaller and weighs less than my cell phone!).

- It boots up and focuses quickly, so you can snap shots on the move without having to stop and wait for any longer than it takes you to press the shoot button.

- The IA takes all the work out of taking decent (not blurry, not too dark, etc.) shots. There are various modes for taking better shots, but for my purposes the IA is perfect!

- The battery life seems excellent. I took over 250 photos and shot a 30 second video and the battery still registered full. That seemed a little strange to me, since reviews had it pegged at an average of 270 shots before the battery runs down. But maybe my habit of quickly snapping shots extends the battery life?

I took this camera on a day hike the other day and took over 250 photos with it. I only had to delete a couple due to blurriness. Most of my shots I simply pulled the camera out of my pocket, paused long enough to take the shot, and kept moving. Often I was barely waiting for the UI to show up on the LCD before shooting, but it seemed to handle it just fine. Now I have tons of stuff to share with friends and family on facebook!

My only criticism is that the LCD isn't very helpful. I didn't even bother checking what my pictures looked like. The sun was too bright and the screen too small to really tell whether I got the shot. But I guess that's what you get with such a small camera. Not a big deal. Like I said, you won't have to worry about the IA not focusing properly and the image stabilization appears to work near-perfectly as well. So if you point the camera in the proper direction, you should get more or less what you're looking for!

If you're looking for professional quality photos, this probably isn't the camera for you. But if you want a cheap compact camera for the purpose of taking shots on the go, then this one deserves a look. It helps that the price is pretty low, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lumix love, April 8, 2011
i own a Lumix LX3 and wanted to try another Lumix. This time i need an ultra compact, because i bought a Canon PowerShot SD1300IS 12 MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Pink) from amazon recently but i ended up returning it because of the lens error. i wanted to purchase another one but the price went from 109 to 199!!! ridiculous. Then i came upon this beauty here that they call the Lumix Fh2. Im liking it so far, it looks great and works great. There is no lag when you take a picture, which I noticed on the Canon. The screen is crisp and clear. It's very light and thin. I think it is a solid camera for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars User Friendly, November 9, 2011
We purchased five Panasonic Lumix cameras to be used by our junior high students to take pictures for our school website at various events as well as pictures for our annual school video yearbook. The students enjoy the cameras, they are easy to use and the pictures always turn out very clear. I would highly recommend this product.

Loretta L Blanchard
Lake Pleasant Central School

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck!, May 29, 2011
I am very impressed. I was worried when I didn't see many reviews for this camera so I took a couple days to do some research and I couldn't find a bad review anywhere. I got the camera and am so glad I did. I have been using it for two days now since I got it. At first I was a bit disappointed that to charge the battery you had to take it out and put it in the charger but after really thinking about it (and doing it twice) it dawned on me how nice that is if you have more than one battery, you can charge one and use the other. Charging them doesn't take long either. It is slimmer than I expected, perfect size. The resolution is fabulous, the modes are great. I have already taken some of my favorite pictures ever. Mid-range camera with high-end features. HIGHLY recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars That's The One, May 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like a pocket camera, mostly because phone cameras are really only good for recording a fender bender, and because it isn't always convenient to tote a big DSLR around (especially since I keep a long lens in place). I can discreetly pull a pocket camera from my purse and get a close-up of the fabulous anniversary dinner at the swanky restaurant. Or a great shot of me and my sibs at a backyard barbecue.

In theory.

Problem is, those shots generally require a flash, which I really dislike, so I lose a lot of shots to "dim light-blur." I hate it when that happens. So I lusted for a better pocket camera.

I don't care about digital zoom. Megapixels? At this point, unless you're shooting for billboards, anything over 10mp is more than enough. I don't care if a camera has a front facing window to see myself while I apparently take a picture of me. What? And I don't need any auto-upload feature to a social networking site.

I want enough sensor punch to work well in dim light. I want it to do a superb job with macro so I can zero in on the food! (I love food shots, such great memories.) I don't want a load of pixel "noise" getting in the way in any circumstance. And I want it to fit comfortably in my pocket or purse.

So the Panasonic Lumix enters. After charging the battery, I went into a closet, set the camera on macro and took a closeup of the stitching on a suitcase. As one would expect, the photo was horribly underexposed, practically black. But using graphics software, I lifted the exposure and I was delighted to see that the stitching was in focus. Dark closet. Tiny subject. In focus. Imagine if I cared about the stitching! This is excellent, because my former pocket camera would automatically slow the shutter speed (no choice on my part) to allow enough light to get the shot, but without a tripod, the blur would make the shot useless.

I quibble with this -- when I took indoor action shots of my grandson with the camera set on Intelligent Scene (auto-mode), his skin didn't look pixelated, but weirdly mottled. I had much better results by manually selecting the scene. There are many scene options and they all seem to work really well. Even in dim light! And it does a great job of stopping a moving target (did I mention the grandson?).

The Lumix is small, about the size of my smart phone, but the view screen is large enough and you can zoom in during playback to make sure you got the shot you want. The controls are self-explanatory and easy to operate. I did not load any of the software into my computer, but simply connected the camera to my PC with the supplied USB and the drivers loaded automatically. Of course it will connect to an ordinary tripod (if one must).

Oh, the flash, you ask? It's just as unpleasant as the flash on every pocket camera, although it's a quick couple of flicks to turn it on or off. And using the option to avoid red-eye (instead of full-on flash) dims the flash just enough to be not entirely hideous. Presto!

Even at a higher price point, this camera is a great deal. Start shooting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Veeeery nifty wittle Point & Shoot camera thingy, March 27, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH2 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 2.7-Inch LCD (Red) (Electronics)
The Deal:
I was lucky enough to get this little camera for around $85.00 here on Amazon. (Chose the red one btw.) I think I made a very good selection. Not only was that a great price but it's also a great camera. If you need a basic (with some cool bells & whistles) point & shooter and don't want to spend toooo much...this is the perfect one to consider.

Construction & Durability:
Can't obviously comment on the life & complete durability of it yet since I've only had it since January of 2012. But, so far so good. It's constructed well and feels very solid. I think the shell is probably made of anodized aluminum. The buttons and switches all feel durable. I have to say that I really love having a switch instead of a button to power on the camera too. For me that's a plus.

Speed:
It's a very fast camera. All the functions (processing, flash recharge, etc.) work smoothly & quickly. It's...sparky!

Battery Life:
When taking pics at the highest setting (14MP) and with IA (Intelligent Auto) engaged it gets very good battery life with the included 680mAh, 3.6V one. For taking HD videos however...that's what sucks the power cell fast. You'll definitely need a higher capacity battery (& maybe an extra just in case) to shoot a significant amount of video. Unfortunately the Panasonic batteries are not cheap. Fortunately I did find a great 3rd party replacement for it from Wasabi. It's double the capacity and not very costly. Seen it for $8.99 with free shipping. Works perfectly and "feels" like the original battery too. Here's the link--
Wasabi Power Battery for Panasonic DMW-BCK7, DMW-BCK7E, DMW-BCK7PP, NCA-YN101F, NCA-YN101G, NCA-YN101H, Lumix DMC-FH2, DMC-FH5, DMC-FH7, DMC-FH25, DMC-FH27, DMC-FP5, DMC-FP7, DMC-FS16, DMC-FS18, DMC-FS22, DMC-FS35, DMC-FS37, DMC-FX77, DMC-FX78, DMC-FX90...

Picture & Video:
It takes very crisp & clear photos and the 720p HD videos look great. As for it not taking good pictures in low light like some have suggested...I'd say you're not adjusting the camera correctly or using the proper IA mode. Plus, low light pics can be kind of a crap shoot with MOST cameras, from cheaper point & clickers to expensive SLR's. For a below $200.00 camera this sucker does pretty well in my opinion.

Memory Cards & Stuff:
Since it only comes with a piffly 70 megabytes built in you'll need a good memory card. I'd recommend Kingston or Sandisk cards. Neither of those have failed me yet. Also you'll need to get at least a Class 4 card if you're going to be shooting video with this thing. The documentation recommends Class 6 or higher but I've found that the 4 is fast enough to catch the video. The HD movie mode shoots at about 30 Frames Per Second. According to the people who know about this kinda stuff, Class 4 is perfect for 30 FPS videos. For more than 30 you'll need higher. Oh yeah...and class 4 cards are still much cheaper than 6 & up. (Hey, I'm trying to help you to save money here. LOL.) This is the one I chose to use--
SanDisk Flash 16 GB SDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDB-016G

Accessories & Stuff:
Need a nice protective red case for your red camera? This is the one I bought. It's red, rugged, semi-hard and it fits PERFECTLY! (Wow...that sounded...bad. But it WAS an accurate description.) CaseCrown Compact Travel Case (Crimson) for Canon PowerShot SD3500IS 14.1 MP Digital Camera

If I learn anything else about this camera I'll try to update my review for ya. Any questions? Feel free to ask. If I have answers I'll give 'em as fast as I can. Ok now, you have some shopping to do. Good luck and have fun!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginner Camera, November 5, 2011
Allan Liska (Leesburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my 9 year old and he loves it. He is just getting into photography and the camera helps him take great pictures. Images are crisp and the stability feature keeps them fom blurring.

Rate and Discover Movies