Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18K 8.1MP Digital Camera wit..." and save 48% off the $349.95 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18K 8.1MP Digital Camera with 18x Wide Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black)
- 8.1-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 16 x 22-inch prints
- 18x wide-angle image-stabilized optical zoom; 2.5-inch LCD display; 0.44-inch electric viewfinder with diopter adjustment for fine focusing; can toggle between LCD and EVF
- Intelligent Auto Mode with Face Detection and Intelligent Scene Selector
- Shooting at ISO 1600 in normal recording mode; 6 autofocusing modes
- Stores images on SD memory cards (includes 27MB of internal memory; powered by lithium-ion battery (battery and charger included)
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Auto Focus Technology|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||3 fps|
|Display Resolution Maximum||207,000|
|Display Size||2.5 inches|
|Expanded ISO Maximum||1,250|
|Expanded ISO Minimum||100|
|External Memory Included||Yes|
|Flash Memory Type||SD/MMC/SDHC card, Internal|
|Flash Type||Pop-up flash|
|Flash Type||Built-in Flash|
|Focus Type||Autofocus & Manual|
|ISO Range||Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1250, (6400 high mode)|
|Image Aspect Ratio||4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Item Dimensions||2.95 x 3.46 x 4.65 inches|
|Item Display Weight||12 ounces|
|Item Weight||0.9 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Weight||4 ounces|
|Macro Focus Range||1 cm|
|Maximum Aperture Range||F2.8 - F4.2|
|Maximum Focal Length||504 mm|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||1/2000 of a second|
|Maximum horizontal resolution||3,264|
|Minimum Focal Length||28 mm|
|Minimum Shutter Speed||60 seconds|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||8.1 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CCD|
|Photo Sensor Technology||CCD|
|Removable Memory||Secure Digital card|
|Sensor Cleaning Method||No|
|Shipping Weight||1.6 pounds|
|Supported Battery Types||Lithium-Ion rechargeable|
|Video Capture Resolution||848 x 480, 640 x 480, 320 x 240 @ 30/10 fps|
|Water Resistance Level||Not Water Resistant|
From the Manufacturer
When this powerful camera--which features image-stabilized optical zoom up to 18 x--is put into Intelligent Auto Mode, the multifaceted functions engage automatically, so there is no need to adjust s ettings every time conditions change. The DMC-FZ18's intuitive Intelligent Auto Mode comprises :
- Intelligent Scene Selector, which automatically selects the appropriate scene mode from the most frequently-used modes such as Portrait, Scenery, Macro, Night Scen ery, and Night Portrait;
- Face Detection System, which helps the camera to focus, set autoexposure, an d detects up to 15 human faces, capturing them clearly and brightly; and
- Continuous Autofocus, which allows the camera to keep focus on the subject w ithout having to press the shutter button halfway and allowing for the best results out of a shutter chance by minimizing the autofocus time.
The Lumix DMC-FZ18 also is equipped with a 2.5-inch large, high-resolution LCD w ith 207,000 pixels, a 0.44-inch electric viewfinder with 188,000 pixels and f2.8 brightness, and is powered by the high-quality, high-performance Venus Engine III, which boasts shooting at IS O 1600 in normal recording mode.
The DMC-FZ18 has been redesigned to make the camera more stylish and easier to u se. The autofocus, autoexposure lock, and Macro buttons are now independent, to allow qu ick and direct operation. A metal-finished mode dial adds design strength, and an enhanc ed rubber grip makes the camera easier to hold. The redesigned body also incorporates the joyst ick made popular by the DMC-FZ8 model, which enables a host of settings, such as manual f ocusing and exposure, to be done quickly and easily.
Other advanced features of the Lumix DMC-FZ18 include:
- Custom Setting Mode that memorizes your frequent setting patterns for in stance use applied by simply selecting this function on the mode dial.
- 1920 x 1080 pixel photos ideal for full-screen viewing on a wide-screen HDTV .
- Six autofocusing methods including face detection, multi, three-point high-s peed, one-point high speed, one-point normal speed, and spot. With the one-point autofocus or spot autofocus method, the autofocusing area can be chosen from as many as 11 points with the joystick or cursor button.
- Advanced Scene Modes provide users more control over some frequently used sc ene modes, such as indoor and outdoor modes, when selecting portrait or sports mode and nature or architecture settings when selecting portrait mode.
- Bundled SILKYPIX Developer Studio 2.0SE software application for editing and developing images in the RAW file format.
- 27MB of built-in memory--perfect for backing up SDHC/SD memory card recordin g.
- Extra Optical Zoom feature extends zoom power to 28.7x at 3 megapixels.
- Compatibility with large-capacity SDHC memory cards.
- Title Edit Function allows inputting of text and additional picture informat ion.
- Picture Playback by category sorts images into categories such as portraits, landscapes, nightscapes, events, and motion pictures. Also, allows slideshow pla yback of images in the same category.
- Optional accessories including a teleconversion lens, close-up lens, ND filt er, MC protector, lens adapter, AC adapter, battery pack, soft case, and camera bag.
- Available in two colors: silver and black.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 digital camera, ArcSoft MediaImpression and ArcSoft Pan oramaMaker software, USB driver, battery charger, battery pack, lens cap, lens h ood, lens hood adapter, AV cable, USB connection cable, strap, CD-ROM
Read about our customers' top-rated cameras on our review page: Point-and-Shoot Cameras
Top Customer Reviews
I wanted something that was point and shoot for my wife (she takes great photos, but does not want the hassle of making adjustments) but versatile for me. I used to have a film SLR, and understand the basics of controlling shutter speed, aperture, etc. I loved the idea of 18x optical zoom, the 28mm wide angle, and all the shake reduction/face finding, etc. I seriously considered the Sony DSC H5, H7, and H9; the Canon S5 IS; the Olympus SP-550UZ/560UZ and the Panasonic FZ8. The Sony looks and feels great, but the spec is not as good as the newer FZ18, and many reviews refer to the no-intuitive user interface and long learning curve. The Olympus and Canon offerings in this class just did not match the FZ18 specs, and the earlier model FZ8 was getting great reviews, so I went with the latest FZ18.
Bottom line - both my wife and I are very pleased with the FZ18. The first set of vacation photos are superb. My daughter was with us and borrowed the Pentax, so we have some pretty good side-by-side comparisons, and the FZ18 wins hands down on everything, except fitting in a pocket! Even then, it's pretty light, and with a 4Gig ultra fast card, has loads of capacity. I can highly recommend this camera as the current state of the art in this class. Easy to use for those who want a point-and-shoot, flexible for those who want more control, great specs, and superb quality photos.Read more ›
There is little radical in the way of new design. The well-established basic Lumix FZ design remains intact. Not quite a pocket camera like the worthy Lumix TZ3 and smaller than the somewhat more sophisticated and substantially larger FZ50. Panasonic's Venus III engine is dependable, relatively fast and capable.
It is the new features of the FZ18 that make it a standout. The 18x zoom is marvelous: 28mm to 504mm in the palm of your hand. Mind-blowing is the only word for it. And the Leica designed optics are as sharp as any on the market and, in fact, sharper than most. Coupled with an 8 Megapixel sensor, you're set for just about any common photographic need. The FZ18 is not intended to substitute for a Nikon or Canon dSLR. It is an everyday camera. But it is fine for photographing tourist vistas, family events, the everyday things that are the subjects of most photos.
Color rendition is accurate, though not perfect. The inclusion of an ISO 1600 equivalent is nice producing noisy, but usable, shots.
Focusing is generally fast, with some hunting in low light on the long end of the zoom.
The image stabilization is, as usual with the Lumix line, superb.
The flash is adequate out to about 15 feet or so with rapid fall-off on the edges. There is no shoe for an external flash. Do not use the supplied lens hood with the flash: it casts a shadow.
One of the new features is a three-shot option on the self-timer, which is surprisingly handy. It takes three pictures so if Aunt Tilly thinks she had her eyes closed, you don't have to walk back to the camera to reset the self-timer.Read more ›
January 2008: After using this camera for a few months and taking a couple thousand pictures (bird photos: if you're lucky, one in ten is passable!), I stand by what I said before.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
As a newcomer to digital photography I love this camera. Its documentation is especially excellent and easy to find.Published 3 months ago by Karl
I have had this camera for seven years, and it really holds up. Gives me great photos, has a good selection of settings, and is comfortable to hold and operate. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Stella J
A great camera. Feels like a real camera in the hands. The only reason why I didn't give it five stars is because of the problem endemic to all digitals, the lag time on the... Read morePublished 5 months ago by Kenneth Fine
Great camera. The optical and the digital zooms are better than expected. The picture quality is excellent. Even after a few years of use.Published 5 months ago by VEC
Super Great pictures and range. Basically easy to use if you read a little of the manual. Without you can use
the automatic setting for most shots.
Best camera I have ever had zooms great and takes beautiful pics...love itPublished 14 months ago by Brittney Baker