Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 questions
vote
The FZ8 can also allow you to shoot in Manual Mode...IMHO only 2 big differences between both of them 1.18X Optical Zoom 2.Poor image quality than FZ8.The reason is the Image sensor is nearly the same as in FZ8 but in FZ18 it has the responsibility of capturing 18X zoom images instead of 12X. 3.For above features and some more the price difference between both is nearly $100.00. The Lumix FZ50 too is based on 12X lens core but it atleast has a DSLR like look and feel and it has the real Manual mode. The manual mode in FZ8 and FZ18 is a still controlled by the motor which pushes the lens forward or backward. In FZ50 there is a DSLR like "ring" option which you can use in Movie Mode for true zooming while shooting. If you really wanna advanced camera in the Panasonic Lumix family then FZ50 or even the out of production FZ30 is a great and worthy upgrade. Last week I bought a Lumix FZ8 after researching the net for 1 month.Panasonic has fundamentally erred in introducing a new featureless model in FZ18.
Dec 9, 2007 by peshwa
vote
FZ-18: Any advice? Dec 22, 2007
We set the camera on the IA setting, and changed the ISO to 1600. Great pictures/camera for the price.
Jan 13, 2008 by Jennifer Fontes
votes
Yes it has an electronic view finder (EVF) above the LCD screen in the back
Jul 17, 2014 by Chalko
votes
I went to the camera store today to compare these two cameras and came away with a definite lean toward the FZ18 vs the TZ3. The three big negative factors for the TZ were: 1. There was significant color blurring (red text on white background) when magnifying comparable shots (the FZ was clean); the compression noise was also significantly higher on the TZ3. 2. The image stabilization on the TZ3 at 12X zoom was WAY inferior to the FZ18 at 18X. I had a LOT of trouble getting one clear shot out of 10 tries at 12X with the TZ3, while the FZ18 gave perfect 18X images 9 out of 10 times. I don't know why this might be, and I checked all the settings on both cameras to be sure I wasn't comparing apples to oranges, but these results are real. 3. The TZ3 does not have a viewfinder and I have found that in bright sunlight outdoors a viewfinder is a huge plus. All this said, the TZ3 is still a nice camera for the size - it is pocketable (in baggy pants) while the FZ18 is not. -- Just my 2 cents. _eric
Dec 6, 2007 by Amazon Customer
votes
ultrazooms tend to have the problem - the lens requires time to focus, especially at long range; sp550 is slowest, FX18 much better but costs a bit more; the new sp570 looks very good, but costs nearly double
Mar 18, 2008 by Yuen Chung Kwong
votes
yes can use 8gb sdhc the minimum size for sdhc is 4gb
Jun 11, 2008 by the truth shall set you free
votes
Their product line only shows Vitamins. Not sure why they are selling this camera either. Perhaps someone is actually selling something they purchased from another business as this item is quite a few years old at this point or a personal item but using the Vitamin Shoppe business since it already has an Amazon seller account set up.
Mar 13, 2013 by Crystal
votes
No, as it has neither a prism nor a mirror, which redirect the lens image to the viewfinder. At the time of exposure, the mirror swings out of the film's way and onto the film. In a digital camera, it varies only in it's redirecting a DIGITAL image, which you see on the LCD screen or through the viewfinder. It is still a point-and-shoot camera, because everything is automatic and it requires no thinking beyond composition and amount of zoom. Its having only one lens has nothing to do with it not being an SLR, as there can be SLRs that only have one lens. AS a matter of fact, the F18k has but one lens---but it's a ZOOM lens, which does the same thing other focal-length lenses do. What's more, the FZ18K can also accommodate 'MUTAR' lenses, which extend the range of 'zoom' range of the camera.
Nov 25, 2013 by Robert C. Vespa
votes
your query is vague but I reply as I can: FZ18 has 18x zoom lens built in and does not require another lens to operate, but you can add a telephoto extension lens or teleconverter to it, which usually come in 1.7x, 2x or 3.2x ratios, giving you 30x, 36x or 58x zoom combined; there are also wide angle extenders because the built in zoom lens extends outwards, most extension lenses require an extension tube to fit onto the camera; the tube has female threads for the lens on one end and male threads for the camera on the other; maybe you are missing this tube with high zoom focusing on a small object far away, the camera receives little light energy on its sensor, and usually need a long exposure time, making it susceptible to hand shake; it need to be held steady during the shot; in bright conditions, holding the camera against the eye, because you use the viewfinder rather than lcd screen, helps to steady it, but it is safest to put the camera on a tripod hope this helps
Feb 6, 2008 by Yuen Chung Kwong
votes
No, neither wired nor IR. However, in addition to the usual long (10 sec.) self-timer it has a short (2 sec.) self-timer that is very useful for tripod shots. It also has a 3-burst mode using the self-timer.
Sep 16, 2008 by KDK
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers