4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT camera, but GREAT, depends how you will use it...
This Panasonic GF3 is a rather impressive camera that can take VERY sharp pictures with really good IQ/Dynamic range, and color overall. Besides my love for Photography I also enjoy using the best of the best cameras in their category if I can afford them. I have owned, or own the Canon S95/Fuji X100/ Sony NEX-5, Had the original E-P1, Had the GF1 prior.

I have...
Published on August 10, 2011 by Radio Man

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent complement to an enthusiast photography kit
For some time I've been looking for a camera with better image quality than a point & shoot that I could carry whenever I didn't feel like lugging my EOS 7D or 60D around. When a competing camera business offered the 14 mm kit bundled with the 14 - 42 mm zoom, I couldn't resist and jumped in. The GF-3 feels very well built and so does the 14 mm pancake. Not so much the...
Published on December 23, 2011 by Luis E. D. Gimenez

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Boom goes the dynamite/Oh so good, September 19, 2012
This camera is the bomb.com. I've only used this a few times since I've got it, but the pictures I've got from it are more than satisfying. For the price range, this camera is just such a huge step up from a high end point and shoot I don't feel like it's comparable. I'm not a camera guy by any means, but quality of pictures from this camera vs. pictures from my Canon point and shoot easily noticeable.

I used this on a trip up a fourteener and was able to take some pretty good pictures with this pancake, but I think adding a telescoping lens may be a worthwhile investment. The camera took good close-up shots, awesome mid distance shots, and some surprisingly great distance/landscape shots.

As a starter, you can't go wrong with his setup. If you'd like to get better lenses, micro 4/3s come in huge varieties from a couple hundred dollar lens to a thousand dollar lens. There such versatility in this camera vs. a point & shoot that I don't think I'll go back. Also, this camera with the pancake attached is about the size of a point & shoot. Man, I could go on and on about this thing. It's simply the best...

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost, but not quite a DSLR, June 27, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3CK Kit 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 14mm Pancake Lens (Camera)
Other reviewers have stated as much, but it bears repeating: this camera seems to match people at a very specific skill level and set of needs. I'm not a great photographer by any means, but I did have a bit of experience with manual 35mm cameras, and I've owned several higher end "super zoom" point and shoot digital cameras.
This camera seems to fit a very specific niche between the advanced point and shoot user and the prosumer DSLR classes, with the advantages of being the size of a point and shoot and having much of the functionality, interchangeable lenses and manual controls of a DSLR. My girlfriend who is a DSLR user, and I might add a far more competent photographer than me, was rather impressed when I unboxed it and ran through the controls. She was amused by the big, satisfying sounding "clunk" of the shutter that's so familiar to 35mm and DSLR users. When I popped off the lens, I noticed a look of envy, as she uses a camera regularly as part of her job, and said that mine might be more convenient than hers.
I should also state that my last two cameras have been Panasonics, so I'm a wee bit of a brand loyalist. I'm familiar with the interface, and have had good luck with them in the past, so I'm kind of sticking with what I know. My previous camera was a TZ4, and I still use it occasionally until I get more facile with the interface on this one (which, quite truthfully, I'll doubtless keep on the fully automatic mode the majority of the time). I do intend to get more lenses for it in the immediate future.
All in all, I've always stuck with the old adage of "the best camera in the world is the one you have with you". Being as this is conveniently sized, well featured, and while not quite pocketable, it will fit in my messenger bag where I normally carry my point and shoot, so it will indeed be the camera I have available. I'd say that this is the camera for someone ready an advanced prosumer SLR type camera, but doesn't want to deal with the additional bulk. It won't make you a better photographer, but it will give you the additional tools to allow you to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic GF3 20mm F1.7 hands on, November 28, 2011
Length:: 2:24 Mins

Panasonic GF3 20mm F1.7 hands on, focusing, live view, continuous shooting speed. Highlight: CMOS Four third 17.3x13mm, up to 3.8 fps, shutter speed max 1/4000s, 3.0 in 460k pixels touch screen lcd, Auto Focus 1080p @ 30fps video mode, consumer size:107.7x67.1x32.5mm, 264g. Introduced on August, 2011.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 12.1 MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 3-Inch Touchscreen and 14mm F2.5 ASPH LensPanasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 12.1 MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 3-Inch Touchscreen and 14mm F2.5 ASPH Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite camera ever... (for some, but not all, situations), August 23, 2013
Rob R (Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
I seriously have and have had lots of cameras throughout my lifetime, and the GF3 has become my all-time favorite. Is it great for all needs? NO... But for many, it is wonderful. The GF3 takes very sharp pictures in a compact form. It has good light sensitivity, low digital noise, and good speed. The battery is more than adequate for a full day of shooting and reviewing pictures.

If you are traveling with the family, there is no better camera for portability and quality scenery and family shots (or movies). The 14mm pancake lens is very sharp and fast, and indoor pictures (without the flash) are surprisingly good. With the flash, you have a decent range of lighting and fill for most needs. The options for automation and more manual shooting are very good, and I'd have to say that the fully automatic settings are best to use with this camera since the changing of other settings can be annoying to find in the menus.

If you want high magnification or high speed shots (such as sports action), then stick with your digital SLR. Once you add big lenses to this type of package, the advantages seem lost to me. I also don't see a good reason to buy the bigger and more expensive 4/3s models. Once you lose the size and cost advantages of a camera like the GF3, you might as well be using the DSLRs.

Pros:
* Size and weight. You can fit the camera (with one of the pancake lenses) in your pocket or purse (though it bulges more than most ultra-compact cameras and cell phones).
* Clarity. Very sharp 12MP pictures, and the big 4/3 sensor is much-much better than a 12MP sensor in small compact cameras.
* Sensitivity. Indoor pictures without the flash are quite decent with the faster fixed-focal-length lenses (e.g. 14mm pancake)
* Flash. Easy to use built-in flash
* Battery. Good life lithium-ion with decent charge time
* Flexibility of shooting modes.
* Lens interchangeability. Though I have yet to buy more lenses, I like that these appear to be standard among multiple manufacturers.
* Sleep mode. The camera puts itself to sleep if you leave it on. This is a good battery saver, and it wakes by pressing the shutter button.

Cons:
* Touch screen - inadvertent touching of the back screen can change your settings, and you won't know it happened until you review your pictures. I have lost a whole day's worth of pictures due to an unintended focus change caused by the touch screen getting bumped while it was left on. Accidentally touching a settings-change happens much more often than I'd like.
* Tricky menus - it is difficult to find some of the common settings in the menus. In time you get used to many. I am an experienced photographer with many old and manual cameras, but I still have trouble with the settings changes in the non-auto modes of this camera. I hope to work with it more in time for better creativity shooting.
* Flash settings. Perhaps I've not looked in the right place yet, but I'd really like a forced-flash setting for filling backlit subjects.

In summary: if you travel and want a reasonably small camera that takes excellent pictures, then forget about using a cell phone or ultra-compact camera. Use this or a similar 4/3 camera and you will be VERY pleased. For action and high magnification photography, this is not your best choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, December 29, 2012
E. Shen (Franklin Park, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this on a Warehouse deal for much cheaper then it is even now. Coupled with a 20mm pancake or Olympus 45mm it takes great picture. I also have an Olympus EPL-2 and I have to say that the Olympus probably has better colors in good lighting. The panasonic however is significantly smaller and easier to handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value with Sharp Lens, October 9, 2012
This camera surprises me everytime I use it. Small and very portable. User friendly and yet can rival my DSLR in creative functions. Originally bought it because it was cheaper to buy the kit than to buy 14mm pancake lens separately but ended up keeping the GF3 body. This is the best value out there. Lumix did a great job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well built, looks cool, fast focus., August 31, 2012
I left my Canon DSLR family for Micor4/3 because of the size and convenience. The quality of the pics are awesome when compared with DSLR's size and quality. I love the special effects because they make images more fun to take. When you combine this body with Panasonic 20mm, images are superb, especially in the dark.

I love that you can switch the power on for the entire day while traveling and bring the camera back out of sleep in 2 seconds, to capture that cool image you see while walking around (not all micro's have this feature).

I recommend using the 14mm and 20mm with this camera (maybe other primes?). Stock lenses usually do not have the same crispiness. After all, the beauty lies in the quality, not quantity?

The only lacking feature is megapixel, I can't wait until Micro's come out with more of them for crispier images at reasonable values.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Camera!, August 22, 2012
I just love this camera! It is Fast, Produces nice Bokeh on Portraits.

Only thing that i dont like is, the video is not as good as the Lumix LX5 in low light..

5.0 out of 5 stars This is light and work well., August 22, 2012
This is perfect camera for day use.
compact and working well.
Also Panasonic has various option of lens.
I love GF3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the average consumer, July 11, 2012
I am on my way to a very long europe trip and didnt want to take just any old point-and-shoot but also did not want to take my dSLR. I am picky about my photos but I also no photographer. I want to take sure that all the pictures that I take while I am over there be somewhat nicer than your average picture. After looking at all the reviews for compact systems or mirrorless cameras, I made a decision on the GF3. AND wow did I pick well! after taking some photos and uploading them on my computer, I feel that I have made the right choice with this one. I now know that I will not have to worry about photos while I am over there.

COMPACT, STYLIST, AND GREAT QUALITY PICTURES.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›