Published 17 months ago by JJG

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible value
I'm going to go against all the raving reviews here that lured me to buy (and promptly return) this.

This camera has a lot going for it, except image quality. Seriously, it's terrible by modern standards. I thought mine was maybe defective (actually it was, lots of dead px, but that happens sometimes), but no, DxO tests agree that this camera produces noisy...
Published 6 months ago by Ben S.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Feature Packed Camera, Nice Update From Previous GF's, September 12, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-GF6KK 16MP Mirrorless Compact System Camera with Lens Kit (Electronics)
The Panasonic GF6 is a great compact camera for those looking to get into the Micro 4/3 system or those upgrading from an earlier GF series camera. The camera is packed full of features and with the redesign has many new updates from earlier GF series cameras. The black and silver body with its curved top gives it a classy, stylish look. It's arrangement of buttons is user friendly. It has enough buttons for those who want to take control of the camera but not too many that it is overwhelming for those moving up from a point and shoot. Overall, I find the configuration very clean looking. Because of its very small size the GF6 is ideal for those, like myself, who shoot DSLR's but are tired of carrying around the much larger equipment but don't want to compromise image quality. Because of its very small size it also ideal those who want to step up in quality from a point and shoot but still want a compact package.

I will first list what I love about the GF6, then areas of improvement, and finally features I wish it had. For those wanting more info I will then go into more depth of the features I love and those which need improved upon. I also have the GF5 and G5 so I will draw some comparisons along the way to those models.

What I Love:

Design - Stylish, clean layout, feels good in the hand.
Size - Small enough to fit in a jacket pocket.
Customizable function buttons - 2 on back of camera and 2 on screen.
Q.Menu - Customizable menu with icons of your favorite items for fast setting changes.
Picture mode dial - Quick changing of picture modes. Wasn't on GF5.
Tiltable screen - Great for self portraits, shooting from the ground or above your head.
Touch screen sensitivity - More like that of a smart phone compared to G5 and GF5.
Screen resolution and contrast - Improved from G5 and GF5.
AF - Fast and silent. Doesn't have backfocusing issue I had with GF5.
Touch screen paired with spot AF is a fast, powerful tool.
Wifi - Transfer images to smartphone for easy sharing.
16MP CCD compared to 12MP CCD with GF5.
New 14-42mm kit lens it tiny and has better build and smoother zoom than predecessor.

Areas Of Improvement: The good thing is almost everything can be remedied with software updates.

Wifi menu and Panasonic Image App needs some retooling.
Wifi Direct only available for Android.
Poor results from panoramic mode.
Image quality of new 14-42mm kit lens on par with old 14-42mm lens.

Features I Wish GF6 Had:

1080p video at 60fps - It isn't surprising that the GF6 only shoots at 30fps. However, many less expensive P&S have 1080p video at 60fps.
Electronic shutter - Prevents shutter shock. It is a very nice feature of the G5.

Size:
For a interchangeable lens camera the GF6 is tiny. I can throw the Panasonic GF6 kit in a bag with a couple of additional lenses and it takes up less space and weighs less than my DSLR with a standard zoom lens. The GF6 with a lens is light enough that my neck never gets sore, even if the camera is around my neck the whole day. With the new, smaller 14-42mm kit lens the GF6/kit lens combo is compact enough to fit in a jacket pocket.

Dials, Buttons, and Customization:
Panasonic added a picture mode dial to the GF6 which really helps one speedily change modes. Coming from DSLR's it is a feature I found to be lacking with the GF5. Panasonic also added a second function button on the back which is primarily used for wifi connection but is programmable for those who'd like to use it for something else. The 2 function buttons on the screen I find the most useful to customize to items I want to quickly access. The Q.Menu button is one of my favorite features of the GF6 and other Panasonic cameras. It stands for quick menu and is also customizable. In the menu I can select icons to place there for fast setting changes when photographing. Coming from a DSLR I'm used to several tabs with each tab having several options to choose from and scroll through. The Q.Menu paired with the touch screen make camera adjustments very fast and fluid. Even with the customization available the GF6 has a surprisingly clean look. It's a great compromise for those who want to take control of the camera and those who would prefer the camera just do its thing.

Touch Screen:
A tiltable screen is a feature added to the GF6 which the GF5 didn't have. The screen is tiltable to 180 degrees for self portraits. It can be positioned parallel to the ground facing up which is nice if you are shooting at a very low angle. If shooting above your head the screen also angles down. I do like swivel screens better but a swivel screen would have added extra size to the camera so I'm happy with what it has.

The GF6's touch screen at 1040k dots has slightly better resolution than the GF5 and G5's touch screen. The screen does look slightly crisper plus it has better contrast. The increased contrast makes the GF6's screen easier to see outside on a sunny day than that of the G5 or GF5.

Auto-Focus:
The GF6's autofocus is fast and silent. I'd put it up against any prosumer DSLR cameras and some professional DSLR's. When shooting in the 23 -Area AF mode, I haven't noticed any backfocusing issues like I've had with the GF5. I typically shoot in the 1-Area (spot AF) mode. The spot AF paired with the touch screen create a very powerful tool for those who like to control their focus point. I can touch anywhere on the screen I want to focus on and it focuses on the spot quickly. No hitting buttons and pushing pads to scroll to the square like on DSLR's. A person moves from the right to the left of the frame, I touch their face, and hit the shutter button...that quick and simple...the way it should be.

Wi-Fi:
Panasonic added wifi capability to the GF6 allowing you to wirelessly transfer image to your smartphone and computer. You can even set it up to automatically transfer new image to either. It also has a "Direct" feature allowing you to connect directly to a smart phone without going through a network. Sadly that feature is only available for Android phones.

I've found the wifi capabilities only useful if transferring select JPEGs to a smart phone. I shoot RAW with JPEGs. Each image therefore takes up about 20MB of space. I've found wireless N to be too slow to transfer of all my images from an SD card. When I go out and take a few dozen pictures, which probably isn't uncommon for people, it may take 10+ minutes to transfer the images wirelessly to my computer. If you shoot even more images than that it will take even longer. The whole time the camera is transferring images, the juice is getting sucked out the camera battery. Because most computers have SD slots built into them, I find it much easier to pull the SD card out of the camera, put in the computer, and get it done in a minute or two. When wireless AC starts showing up on cameras it should significantly reduce the transfer time and make it much more useful.

To transfer images to a smart phone you have to download Panasonic's Image App. It's an awesome feature but the set up process isn't the most user friendly experience. The wifi menu and process needs some retooling. It's the first generation of this feature and something Panasonic can easily improve upon with software updates. Here is an example of one of my complaints: the GF6 labels all iPhones which you connect to as iPhone and all iPads as iPad. Obviously if you have more than one iPhone or iPad in the household this is a problem when looking in the connection history area to find which device you want to quickly transfer images to. You don't have an option to label a smart phone or tablet when you initially connect to it nor does it recognize the name you've given to your phone or tablet. If you select a device as a favorite you can give it a name but annoyingly it doesn't change that device's name in the history tab, it still calls it iPhone or iPad.

Panoramic Mode:
Panasonic also added a panoramic shooting mode to the GF6. In panoramic mode the camera takes multiple frames as the camera is either panned horizontally or tilted vertically (if you tilt the camera 90 degrees). When shooting in panoramic mode, the camera will prompt you when to start. Once you start, you slowly pan or tilt the camera. Once you stop moving the camera, the camera stops shooting and then stitches the images together. If you pan or tilt too fast the camera will "error out" and you'll have to start over. If you go too slow the camera will think you are done and stop the sequential shooting. It took several attempt until I had the right speed down. It's a great sounding feature but has rarely yielded good results. Often the side I started the sequence on is sharp than becomes soft with a ghosting look for the remainder of the frame. It seems like the software has trouble aligning the frames. I also commonly have large striped patterns in the sky. Hopefully Panasonic can improve upon the stitching software with an update otherwise it is useless unless you have no concern with the image quality.

Noise:
The GF6 has Panasonic's new Venus Engine image processor. One of its features is to reduce noise especially at higher ISO's. JPEG images are usable up to 3200 ISO. With ISOs higher than 3200 the images look splotchy from over processing to reduce noise. I honestly don't see any improvement in noise with the GF6 when compared to the noise from the G5 which is also 16MP. That's not a knock on the GF6 since I'm satisfied with the ISO performance from the G5.

New 14-42mm Kit Lens:
The new kit lens for the GF6 is a welcome change from the previous 14-42mm kit lens. The new lens has a better build quality, has a much smoother zoom which is necessary for videos, and is substantially smaller. At 1.9" long it is 0.6" shorter than the older kit lens and at 2.2" wide it is 0.2" narrower, making it downright tiny for a zoom lens. The new kit lens looks and feels like a much better match to the compact GF cameras. On the downside, the new 14-42mm still has a plastic lens mount and the image quality is on par with the previous kit lens. At the wider angle focal lengths the image quality looks the same between the 2 lenses, sharp center and very soft edges and corners. At 35mm, the new kit lens looks a touch sharper. At 42mm, the new kit lens looks a touch softer. I would liked to have seen an improvement in image quality with the new kit lens but I'm happy with the smaller size, smoother zoom, and better build.

Summary:
The GF6 is a great little camera. It remedies all of the issues I had with the GF5 but with the introduction of wifi and panoramic mode it's created a couple new issues to be remedied. The GF6 should satisfy those looking to step from a point and shoot who don't want a clunkier DSLR and DSLR shooters desiring a compact solution without giving up image quality. It is an excellent camera for those looking to get into the M/43 system and with the addition of many new features it gives a reason to upgrade from an earlier GF camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost SLR - at half the size (improved), August 30, 2013
Phredd (Nashua, NH United States) - See all my reviews
I originally wrote the review below for the GF5. The GF6 has everything I wanted in the GF5 and then some. The three things about the GF5 that bugged me most were the pressure-sensitive touch screen, lack of a zoom lever and not enough function buttons. Well, they did change the touch screen to capacitive and it is now so much more responsive. It's less sensitive to fingerprints since you don't have to push. They even (slightly) increased the screen resolution and made it a tilt screen, though it does add a little (maybe 1/8") more depth. They also added another function button, which I set to DOF preview instead of WiFi. And they added the zoom lever around the shutter button. On the GF5, you have to use the zoom lever on the lens barrel.

But they didn't stop there. They added WiFi which I use for transferring photos while away from home and for remote control on my iPhone. It's awesome! They also added a physical mode dial, which is nice, but if they could only add one dial, I would have preferred a dial for ISO which I change more than mode. Overall, this was a great upgrade. I have everything I want now so I won't need the GF7 when that comes out next year. :)

There may be more features (oh yeah 16 MP) that didn't catch my attention, but these were the upgrades that I found important and enough of a reason for me to sell my GF5 and buy the GF6.

----- my review of the GF5 -----

I gave up my SLR a few years ago and have since been carrying high end compacts - all Canon. This is my first mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. I'm so impressed with the quality, creative control and lens selection. And what used to take a backpack, I can now carry in a small bag. In fact, I can just barely stuff the camera with the included 12-42 retractable lens in my pocket. It's bulky, but can be done.

What you don't get is an optical viewfinder, full physical shutter or control dials for recording mode and ISO. But you can still access these controls, and much more, very easily on the beautiful high resolution touch screen. You do get a 4-way controller with outer dial for setting exposure compensation, focus mode, white balance and shooting mode. In most cases the LCD is more convenient than a viewfinder anyway. And I doubt the shutter will matter to most people either. You can customize the touch screen for easy access to your top ten controls with the Quick Menu that you bring up either with a button or on the touch screen. You can also set the Fn1 button for AEL, DOF preview or any of a number of controls. There are also two customizable touch screen buttons as well as touch focusing.

This lens and some others have a power zoom which is great for video. And the autofocus is incredibly fast! I also bought the 45-175 lens with power zoom and that is also very tiny (at least compared to an SLR lens). Can't pocket the camera with that lens, but it is still proportionally compact.

There is no compromise on the creative control with this camera and the touch screen is simple and convenient. With fast autofocus and sharp, high quality images and many great lenses, this is a great camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an awesome camera!, December 11, 2013
Length:: 3:56 Mins

What an awesome camera!

It is amazing how much this camera can deliver for its size and price.
This is my 4th GF series camera, where I previously owned GF1, GF2 & GF3.
I also have owned other Panasonic m43 models as well, such as GH1, G3, G5, GX1, GX7 & GM1.
Out of them all, I find GF6 to be the most charming and thrilling camera.

GF6 is a huge jump from previously model GF5, where it gained many top notch enhancements.
For a starter.. it FINALLY has the 16MP GH2 image sensor, which brings much needed and improved image quality.
Next, it has higher resolution LCD display that can now flip up and down for low ground shot and up above your head shot.
Also its touch screen is now capacitive, instead of pressure sensitive, which really improves interface experience.
Last but not least.. GF6 is now equipped with NFC, which makes pairing to your NFC equipped smartphone or tablet quick and easy!
You just tap the camera to your NFC equipped device, and voila~ it will auto pair them for you.

Now that I can directly pair my camera with my smartphone, most of the photos that I use for online blog and social networks do not even go through my PC any more, I just download them to my smartphone and use fantastic apps like "snapseed" or "VSCO" to post process my photos before I upload them. It is really convenient.

In the video, 1st NFC pairing took bit of time because my smartphone needed to enable Wi-Fi.
You can see that 2nd pairing was much quicker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera at the right price!, July 8, 2013
I am rating this camera 5 stars because it takes some of the best pictures. I previously owned the GF5 which was by far the best camera we owned. This camera offers great improvements including a touch capacitive screen which tilts. It also adds wifi connectivity and a mode selection wheel which is easy to access. There is also a handy dial next to the shutter button that allows you to control your zoom.

I like the variety of auto adjustments the camera does. I like the blurring the camera does which makes for some great portraits. I like that you can change lenses. The videos are great quality and give you an mp4 option which is easy to run on a pc. I love that you can use different color adjustments on video as well as static pictures.

I dislike that this model does not come with a power zoom lens. I dislike that the flash is rather weak and won't capture far away images in the dark but it still takes pretty good picture if you slow the shutter speed. I dislike that there is no hot shoe so you can't attach a flash.

I would recommend this camera for everyone. It is versatile. It is small enough for a pocket, but gives you all of the advantages of an SLR. It is easy enough for those looking for a point and shoot but complex enough for professionals with various manual exposure options.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good price for a lot, October 3, 2013
The Panasonic Lumix GF6 with the 14-42mm lens kit is an amazing camera to someone like myself who has been using small point and shoot cameras for years. The Lumix GF6 marks my graduation to a "real camera".

This camera looks great. It is a solid piece of equipment and everything works. The pictures it takes using the iA (AUTO) setting allowed me to start taking quality photographs without getting very far into setting up the onboard protocols. Pictures taken this way are crisp, well colored and obviously better than any I have taken with my various pocket sized digital cameras.

The zooming feature requires manipulating a ring on the lens. That is easy to do, but a bit strange to a veteran point and shoot user accustomed to a power zoom.

After only a few days with the Lumix GF6 I have learned to take advantage of the extensive list of scene choices that provide two dozen built-in adjustments for various conditions.

The three inch composition/viewing screen flashes helpful information regarding these settings. They go from adjusting to nighttime conditions to fast shutter speeds for sports or fidgety kids.

In the Creative Control mode the camera provides another list of effects and color adjustments for shooting dramatic pictures beyond the norm.

There are almost endless choices for adjusting the look of photos taken with the camera and I have only started using them, but suffice to say--this camera has them all.

The mode dial on top of the camera can be set to aperture or shutter priority. The iA (auto) feature is activated by a lighted button also on top of the camera. The video button is up there too.

I am having a ball shooting panorama pictures with that setting on the mode dial at the top of the camera. That feature is amazing.

I was surprised to discover I can add a date stamp to pictures already shot. There are lots of times I don't want a date splashed on the lower corner of my photographs, but sometimes that is nice to have. The Lumix GF6 provides the ability to stamp a photo and save it as a copy so the original remains clear of a date mark.

The screen is a touch type (capacitive) and it swings out and up to allow one to compose shots at greater angles. The screen flips up to point forward just in case you want to take a picture of yourself. I actually did that a couple of times. Anyhow, I like the screen.

There is a pop-up flash that requires pushing a little button on top of the camera. If one forgets to pop the flash a reminder comes across the composition screen.

One thing that drew me to the GF6 was the WiFi function. I can wirelessly transfer photos from the camera to my iPad and that was a big plus in making the decision to buy this camera. The WiFi function can be used with several individual apple iOS devices after each is setup with the camera. I suspect most cameras will have the WiFi capacity eventually, but for now there are only three or four out there.

The GF6 stores pictures on SD cards. The battery is a Lithium Ion type DMW-BLE9 and a replacement Wasabi battery is available for about $15. The battery life is reasonably good considering all of the camera features it powers.

The movie taking capacity of the camera is more advanced than most I have seen. I have a modern dedicated video camera and it is less versatile than the Lumix GF6. I must admit that I didn't buy the Lumix GF6 for its video capabilities and have only used it in test situations. It seems to work surprisingly well.

The following remarks are not complaints or flaws found with the Lumix GF6, but merely observations and things that I had to consider before buying the camera.

First and foremost, the camera with the 14-42mm lens kit is certainly no pocket camera. It is large compared to the standard point and shoot cameras. I had to accept that fact in favor of improving my photographs with a camera that approaches professional status.

The thing is big and a bit heavy to a person accustomed to those small pocket sized cameras. I decided the GF6 could go with me on special occasions and to places close to home, but it won't travel in my pocket.

Having said that, the camera has interchangeable lenses. There is a smaller 'pancake' lens and a power zoom lens (Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42) available. These are both a lot flatter than the 14-42mm lens kit that comes with the GF6. I might buy one of those someday so I can carry my camera in a large pocket.

Speaking of zooming--the 14-42mm lens kit on the GF6 doesn't do much compared to the 10x and 18x lenses on a pocket sized digital camera. Again, there are Panasonic lenses available for the GF6 that can zoom to 175mm, but with one of those forget the pocket thing.

The camera comes with a neck strap, but I didn't us it preferring to attach a wrist strap to my camera. I didn't want to look like an old man in a tour group with a camera hanging around his neck. I've been there and done that, but not lately.

There is a way to transfer photos from the camera to a close by smartphone or tablet directly with a system they call NFC, but that only works with Android devices. I knew NFC wouldn't work with my Apple iOS equipment, but the WiFi feature made up for that in my estimation.

There is no view finder on the GF6, but I haven't used one of those since my SLR film camera days. I guess some photographers can't live without a viewfinder. I do very nicely without one.

As you can tell from this review I am not a professional photographer and a lot of what I have said is not very technical. I don't think Panasonic intended this to be a camera for photography experts. The GF6 is a bridge camera designed for those of us that want to take the next step in photography. It is probably best suited for the advanced amateur.

Can I recommend this Panasonic Lumix GF6--you bet I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fall In Love, July 16, 2014
I've been a Panasonic Lumix girl for many years, but until now it was strictly the point and shoot pocket cameras. For people who are looking to buy a bridge camera, something that bridges the gap between point and shoot and a more complex camera, you can't go wrong here. Micro 4/3 technology makes owning a full feature DSLR style camera more streamlined and easy to carry around. For a lot of people, this means more likely to *use*, and more often at that. Be aware that there aren't as many lens options, and the ones that are out there may cost more than their traditional counterparts. That said, I think that the M43 technology fills a need for people who want portability and functionality. The GF6 has reminded me why I loved photography.

Body:
The body on this camera is only slightly larger than my previous pocket cameras. With a pancake lens you really could put the whole thing in your pocket if you wanted to. Because it's a micro 4/3, it's lighter than a DSLR by far, but it feels sturdy and well built in your hand. Everything feels well constructed, from the lens release button to the not-too-slippy mode dial. The only thing that feels like you have to be careful with it at all is the pop-up flash. More on the flash later. The SD chip and battery are located together in the bottom of the camera. The buttons are well placed, but be warned that due to the very small size of the camera it's easy to mash buttons with the palm of your hand, and it's especially hard to access functions that are inside the wheel to the right of the screen. I use the edge of my nail when setting the white balance.

Screen:
The screen is a joy to compose and set up shots from. It's a touchscreen just like on a smart phone, allowing you to adjust your focus target, access feature menus on the fly, scroll through shots you've taken, and more. Because it angles out and flips up, you can take "selfies" and it will automatically turn on a timer so you can set up the shot just right. The angling screen also allows you to take shots at low and awkward angles much more easily. The legs that support the screen aren't flimsy and hold their position well. Because the camera has no optical viewfinder the screen is always on. Be mindful and buy an extra battery, especially if you plan on extended shooting sessions.

Kit Lens:
The 14-42mm kit lens is very small if you're used to a standard DSLR kit lens in the same range. The profile feels proportional, however, and it's got quite a bit of versatility for such a small package. The focal length can be limiting if you're used to getting up close and personal to your subjects (say, close ups of flowers and such), but for portraits, and non-macro shooting it does the job well, and it's fairly fast. If you want more reach you'll definitely want to supplement with a decent zoom lens, but be prepared for major (lopsided) bulk.

Wifi:
I thought I'd love the wifi feature and being able to conect to my phone, but be warned, that functionality does NOT work with iPhones at this time. It's an Apple limitation, I'm told. I tried using the app with the house wifi as a work around but found it slow and clunky.

Flash:
The built in flash, like most built in flashes, is kind of a joke... IF you use it as is. However, if you use your finger to tilt it back all the way so it's facing the ceiling... you can bounce the flash and get a much, MUCH better photograph, especially when shooting off the cuff portraits. It's amazing how much better and warmer they look when bounced. The spring loaded flash lets you play with the light that way and is pretty neat. I wish it had a hot shoe instead, but since it doesn't, at least there's a saving grace.

Menu:
The menus on the camera are very easy to get around. Unlike my old Pentax, they're bright, intuitively laid out, and simple to use. The scenes mode has plenty of fun options for those who shoot on auto, though remember that you can't access some of them if you have the intelligent auto (iA or iA+) turned on. On screen menus for manual shooting are also easy to use, though they require some getting used to from a more traditional DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the less experienced photographer!, October 12, 2014
Coco (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I love this little compact camera. I just upgraded to this earlier this year from a point-and-shoot and am taking classes to learn how to shoot in manual; learning about the exposure triangle, focusing, metering, etc. If you are an experienced DSLR user, then this probably isn't the camera for you and probably want/need something more advanced. For us amateur photographers looking for something better than a point and shoot, then this is a GREAT camera. MUCH better quality than a point-and-shoot. Compared to my past pictures the quality of what I am taking now is FAR better (even before I started taking lessons and was still shooting in full auto mode)! I think it takes beautiful pics. So the people who aren't giving this good reviews are probably experienced photographers and need a much more expensive DSLR with all the bells and whistles. For those of us who are just delving into the manual photography world and don't want to carry around a big, bulky, heavy camera, but want the basics of a DSLR and interchangeable lenses, without breaking the bank, this is a fabulous camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars The pictures speak for themselves - Better than D90, June 16, 2014
Stephen (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
I have used multiple cameras over the years: the D90, the Rebel T1i, Sony HXV-50 D5300 (yuck to the sensor on that camera)...I could write a long lengthy review on how this camera and its senor and image processor is just that much better and more fun to use.....or you could take a look at the unaltered strait from camera results yourself by visiting flickr and searching for "GF6 Amazon Review" in the search box (All settings left on standard). For fairness to quality is is best viewed on a desktop flatscreen monitor vs a cheap laptop monitor that distorts the image. By clicking on the "..." three dots off the to the right side of the page you are able to download the original files at their full resolution and really get a sense on a good monitor what this camera does with colors, and with dark blacks (LOVE the contrast). Panasonic Plasma TVs are known for their superior image quality. They dont disapoint with contrast ratio on this little guy. Dont judge it by its size. Its misleading.

Its also really nice to see the integration of the dial knob at the top. It makes life a lot easier. You may have to go through the navigation screen for some settings, but after time, you get used to it and can do it fairly quickly from the main menu. But the majority of what you will need is right there on the dial pad which makes it much more convinent than previous GF models, in addition to having the higher megapixels. If someone asked would you prefer the image quality on this or the Nikon D90, I would hands down tell them this camera. This is my new personal camera and is a lot of fun. If your looking for a fantastici Mirroless camera with a titlable scren this is the one.

Please note this camera was compared to the epm2 on flickr. They are really not in the same league. A closer comparison there would be the GF5. The GF5 and the rest of the GF series maintains the contrast element and similar features to this camera. This one has more megapixels and a newer processor...Not that more megapixels is needed as many are led to believe, but still...its a nice to have if you do poster size prints, want a dial knob and their newest image processing system. (Which by the way does a fantastic job with metering. The Rebel T1i previously used was aweful. This one rocks the boat giving me blue sky while shooting landscape. It does a great job! Would HIGHLY recommed this camera. It should have 1089 reviews. Its too bad. Maybe people simply were not convinced by review sites? Image resourcing images are not right againt epm2. Maybe they had idynamic turn on. Or maybe this particularity camera simply wasnt marketed right or overlooked with the release of other cameras? I don't know. What I do know is that this camera with its blacks and punchy colors, and metering system is one of the best I have personally used. As mentioned the images speak for themselves on a good monitor. (which if you dont have is worth investing in).

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good beginners and travel camera, February 22, 2015
MP (Sandwich) - See all my reviews
This is a very good camera but it does have limitations. Since the sensor is much bigger than phones and point and shoot cameras, you will see a significant increase in picture quality and low light performance over those. The camera has different modes and It can be bought at a great price now. The phone app controls the camera and it is good but not excellent. There are plenty of manual controls as you learn more about photography. Major drawbacks: no viewfinder and no hot shoe. These characteristics would not bother you if you are traveling though. The screen can be seen in bright light as well and it is a capable touch screen. The kit lens is pretty decent and you can get other lenses as well for excellent pictures. The battery life is as advertised as long as you do not use the wi-fi feature too much. I do not find it limiting as I bout an extra charger that has 2 extra batteries.
Having the dedicated button for fully automated pictures is great, as my wife only likes to point and shoot without having to worry about aperture, speed, white balance, etc. As an artist she concentrates on the composition.
The burst mode is great and I have used it extensively. The downside is having to delete multiple pictures afterwards, but having been able to capture those great shots, I find it useful and I have set it as the default mode.
The replacement for this, the DMC-GF7 has been announced so this will not be available for too long. See if the changes are appealing to you or not to pay almost $260 more. At that price you may opt for discounted more advanced cameras.
I anticipate this will serve me well. I have had it for a month and I have taken great pictures with it. I do recommend it as long as you are not a dedicated photographic professional. For the rest of us it is a good choice. The m4/3 does have great lenses available, so it is better to not spend so much on the camera and save for great lenses which can be quite expensive
It fits in a winter coat pocket, but not in your trousers. It is not heavy to carry around

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Lumix GF6 Preview, April 19, 2013
Length:: 2:21 Mins

Panasonic has today announced the Panasonic Lumix GF6, a new base model compact system camera which sees significant improvements to the outgoing GF5 it replaces.
The Panasonic Lumix GF6 features a higher resolution 16MP Live MOS sensor and the new Panasonic Lumix GF6 also features a new processor to boost the image quality and reduce high ISO noise. Externally the Panasonic Lumix GF6 get's a new high resolution tiltable LCD screen and a mode dial on the top, bring it into line with other models in the Panasonic Lumix G range.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›