Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 41 questions
vote
No focus peaking -- many have requested that -- and there are rumblings that it will be in a firmware update, but nothing solid that I know about.
Jan 9, 2013 by Dave H
votes
If you intend to shoot video primarily and stills, as well, I feel the GH3 is clearly the better choice. If you primarily want to shoot stills and some video, too, maybe the Canikon choices would be a bit better. They shoot stills a little better than the GH3, but the GH3 is so geared to video, it is just a natural choice for that. I shoot nature and wildlife video, so having the 2x crop factor of the Panasonic is better, and with the addition of the ETC mode the amount of magnification you can get from a lens is staggering. For instance, a 300mm lens on the Canon (1.6x crop factor) or Nikon (1.5x crop factor) is equivalent to 480mm and 450mm, respectively. With the Panasonic GH3, with the 2x crop, the 300mm lens becomes a 600mm equivalent (to full-frame cameras, like the Canon 5D MK III) and with the ETC mode dialed in (2.4x addl. crop factor w/ NO LOSS OF LIGHT) your 300mm lens has become a 1440mm equivalent telephoto monster lens...insane! Another factor about the GH3 is having no mirror. This means the camera's sensor is closer to the front of the camera and allows just about any lens ever made to be adapted to the camera, usually with an adaptor (Fotodiox brand adaptors are a huge favorite of micro 4/3 camera users...well made and very inexpensive) costing around $20.00. I also like putting my eye up to the live electornic viewfinder, but the swing-out LCD can be used to focus and compose video shots, too. The video recording codecs used by the GH3 are many, stable and of high quality. The body of the GH3 is weather-sealed magnesium, a high-end, professional feature. So, yes, I really REALLY like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3. Put high-end new or used glass on it and get gorgeous images. I use it professionally on ALL my nature-based shoots and always get great shots...when I've done all the right things first! Read bunches of reviews before you buy, but if video is your main need/desire, this is the choice right now.
Oct 28, 2013 by earthwhile
votes
With the GH3 (or any DLSR/still-type camera), you are typically limited to either prime lenses (set focal length) or manual zoom lenses. There aren't many powered zoom lenses available off the shelf. A conventional camcorder features a zoom lenses that makes it easy to smoothly zoom in and out on your subject while recording. A manual zoom makes it more difficult to zoom smoothly, giving it a choppy look during recording. Most pros advise against using too much zooming anyway. The GH3 is a killer camera for corporate video. I use it with prime and manual zoom lenses. Using the primes just means that you need to "zoom with your feet" - physically move the camera to frame your shot.
Oct 29, 2013 by Thomas Cummings Jr
votes
Internal mics are awful. DSLRs are generally fine at *recording* audio, but they're pretty weak on audio pre-amplification--getting the mic signal in shape to record. So, a lot of DSLR shooters use field mixers (like the Sound Devices MixPre-D) to do sound acquisition and pre-processing, using much better mics, then passing it to the camera to actually record. I prefer a full feature camcorder, but a camera like this can work very well, particularly with a good lens and a good sound mixer.
Oct 8, 2013 by Amazon Customer
votes
They sell a Pal version. It is not 'region switchable'.
Jan 7, 2014 by Daniel Moreno
votes
For recording live music, I have used an external Zoom recorder which then fed the audio input of the GH3. Because the Zoom's levels were already hot, I had to turn down the sensitivity of the GH3 audio ins and also cut the output of the Zoom otherwise a nasty limiter effect from the GH3 would engage. With the GH3, be careful not to record too hot even with the on-board mics which are just OK. I also used a Stereo Video Mic Pro from Rode but did not use the +20 db setting as it would have been too hot. Bottom line, GH3 has plenty of it's own preamp gain so if using external mics, be careful of overloading your levels and turn down the GH3's sensitivity.
Jun 30, 2013 by Kirby K
votes
I would say that 2 to 3 hours. You can buy the battery pack and go twice as much.
Nov 8, 2013 by Daniel Moreno
votes
The Olympus MFT Lenses will fully work with this camera, but the GH3 does not have in-body stabilization.
Nov 15, 2013 by Dionisio Kamanel
votes
Since this was a direct descendant of the gh2, I think it will. Will Crockett has a web site where he demos the gh3 Google him and check it out because I remember him specifically talking about lenses.
Dec 4, 2014 by M. Lafferty
votes
Transcend Class 10s work just fine for the All-I codec.
Feb 4, 2014 by Joe F
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers