Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football Baby Sale

on August 2, 2009
After a LOT of research, I bought this camera from Beach Camera (through Amazon) for my wife to replace a dead Fujifilm S5000. She wanted a simple, basic point-and-shoot and the LS85 fits the bill perfectly. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have all kinds of advanced features- it does. It just means that you don't have to figure out how to use them or even understand them. Just set the control to "Intelligent AUTO" and it will do all the thinking for you, even automatically compensating if your subject is moving. Amazing. My wife uses this camera a lot and thinks it's great. There are several things you should be aware of: 1) The LS85 uses AA batteries rather than a built-in rechargeable. I like that but you may not. 2) There is no viewfinder. My wife has no problem with that but I really miss it. 3) In spite of what the Panasonic-supplied description says here at Amazon, Beach Camera and at Panasonic's website, the AV cable is NOT included. Inside the manual it says the AV cable is optional. Which brings us to 4) Panasonic customer support. Or rather, the lack of. I had no luck convincing them that since their advertising and their own website claim that the cable comes with the camera that they should supply it. They say that since the manual, which is obviously INSIDE the box, clearly says the cable is optional that it has to be purchased separately. They did not tell me how I was supposed to know this before buying the camera. After talking to Panasonic several times, I'm crossing their products off my list. If you run into a problem, good customer support is essential and Panasonic's is very poor. On the other hand, Beach Camera's support was great. After I gave up on Panasonic, I contacted Beach Camera and they didn't have any quibbles- they just apologized for the inconvenience and sent me the cable, no charge.

To sum up, my wife is happy with the camera, I'm very unhappy with Panasonic and I'll definitely buy from Beach Camera in the future.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on October 12, 2009
This replaces a pathetic HP M22 camera. The Panasonic is easy to use -- true point and shoot with a nice image browser. The optical zoom and intelligent auto features are outstanding. The batteries never seem to die -- that's how efficient power usage is. Memory card access is fast. If you don't know anything about cameras, I recommend this model. If you are familiar with photography, I'd still recommend it if you want an easy to use, no-hassle camera. The construction could be better, but care should always be taken with any camera, so it's not such a big issue.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again