Lumix 8.1-Megapixel Compact Digital Camera with 32mm Wide-Angle Lens 5x Optical Zoom Intelligent Auto Mode and 2.5" Diagonal Intelligent LCD Black
From the Manufacturer
The 8-megapixel Panasonic LZ8 is perfect for anyone who expects a digital camera that blends power, performance and quality, helping to maximize the digital photography experience. The LZ-Series lenses were developed by Panasonic, passing Leica's stringent standards to deliver an exceptional optical performance for Panasonic Lumix consumers. And with the the LZ8s 32mm wide-angle lens, you can capture larger group photos or more expansive scenic shots.
To provide digital photographers with added creative elements and performance, the LZ8 sports manual control over aperture and shutter speed, thanks to the cameras newly-adopted iris. When shooting manually, you can choose from three modes: A-aperture priority, S-shutter speed priority and M-manual and enjoy added control and creativity normally reserved for higher end models. Also new to the LZ8 is Advanced Scene Mode -- a feature that gives you manual control using some of the frequently-used scene modes: Portrait, Sports, Landscape and Night portrait.
While in Advanced Scene Mode, when selecting the Portrait or Sports mode, the consumer is then presented with additional settings, with the option of choosing outdoor or indoor. When selecting Landscape mode, there are options to specify if the shot is nature or architecture. For budding photographers who desire even more artistic freedom, they can choose Creative mode, which adds more manual controls over an aperture or a shutter speed.
For those not quite ready for complete manual control, the LZ8 also features Panasonics Intelligent Auto Mode, which is comprised of five distinct technologies designed to provide users with intuitive and automatic camera adjustments, regardless of the shooting condition and without the user having to do anything manually. Intelligent Auto Mode consists of the following features:
Mega O.I.S. Gyrosensors detect hand-shake and the lens system shifts to compensate, helping to prevent hand-shake from creating a blurry image.
Intelligent ISO Can determine if the photo subject is moving and change the ISO setting and shutter speed accordingly, thus giving a blur-free photo.
Intelligent Scene Selector Senses the ambient conditions, recognizes the shooting environment and will automatically select the appropriate scene mode from: Scenery, Portrait, Macro, Night Portrait or Night Scenery mode.
Face Detection Panasonics Face Detection detects up to 15 faces anywhere in the frame, even if they are moving, and automatically chooses the optimal focus and exposure settings so portraits come out clear and crisp.
Quick AF The Quick AF (auto focus) system starts focus on the subject by just pointing the camera to the subject, thus minimizing the AF time.
The LZ8 also features new 230,000-dot high-resolution LCD, complete with the new Intelligent LCD, meaning the 2.5-inch LCD screen detects the lighting condition and controls the brightness level to offer optimal clarity in any situation, whether dark or light; indoors or outdoors. It also includes the popular High Angle mode, which makes the LCD screen easy to view when held high, to shoot over a crowd or a tall object.
Additional highlights of the Panasonic Lumix LZ8 include:
- Newly-added speaker lets you enjoy a slide show with music, selecting from natural, slow, urban or swing tunes; or add voice to a motion video.
- Title Edit function which allows the consumer to input text to accompany a photo, for instance, the names of children or travel locations.
- Ability to record WVGA (848 x 480) motion images at 30 frames per second in a 16:9 aspect ratio, ideal for viewing on High Definition televisions, such as Panasonic Viera Plasmas and LCDs.
- The ability to shoot 1920x1080-pixel High-Definition ready photos, ideal for wide-screen viewing on a 16:9 Viera Plasma or LCD.
- The DMC-LZ8 shoots 180 images with the included Alkaline batteries and up to 470 images with optional Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (2600mAh).
- A record/playback mode switch, which lets the photographer switch between recording and playback modes, while always knowing the current mode.