5.0 out of 5 stars Great Waterproof Point and Shoot
Published 20 months ago by Jamie

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Well.
Published 20 months ago by DianeB

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Waterproof Point and Shoot, July 10, 2013
I have only used this camera underwater once so far, but it was absolutely fantastic. I took it to the swimming pool with my daughter and niece as a test run, and got some great shots of my niece swimming underwater, and alternated with underwater shots and above the water shots. The camera is made to slough off the water as soon as you pull it out, so the pictures out of the water don't have spots or water drops on them. It seems like a minor thing, but it really made a huge difference. As for being waterproof, it seemed to hold up great. After we got home, I noticed it had some chlorine spots on a couple pictures (after I tried to use a dry cleaning cloth on it) so I soaked it in a sink full of clean water for about 5 minutes, and voila! Perfect photos again. I've seen some reviews that say this camera doesn't work well inside, haven't noticed a problem myself. Pretty much every single picture I've taken with the camera has turned out with great color balance and good lighting. I have had a couple overexpose a bit with the flash, but hey, this is a point and shoot camera, not a professional grade camera. The overexposure can be fixed on the camera itself with the offered image editing or with editing software on your computer.

We'll be taking the camera on a trip to the lake in a week, so we'll see how it holds up with the sand and murky water, but so far I am more than pleased with this little camera, especially for the price! Can't wait to take it out and play with it some more.

EDIT: Used this camera on a trip in pools, lakes, and rivers. Had a blast. Got some great shots in the water, above the water, canoeing, kayaking, and even in a water feature fountain thing for the kids to play in, all with no worries about water leakage. I do recommend purchasing a floating wrist strap because the camera itself doesn't float if you drop it in deep water. Even in the lake and river the pictures came out great, though you need to be close to your subject in dirtier/murkier water. After a month and a couple weeks, I'd say it's already earned its keep for the price I paid. I think we took somewhere around 1600 photos on a two week trip with this little camera, and 99% of them were fantastic. I also bought an extra extended life battery, and with constant shooting, I did need to change the batteries about once a day. But, I take a LOT of photos.

EDIT2: After reading some of the other reviews here, I think something needs to be said - this is NOT an expensive, professional level camera. It isn't being sold as one, because it's not. No, you are not going to get perfect pictures every single time. You're not going to get perfectly clear-as-day underwater photos (although you will get some awesome ones). This is a point-and-shoot camera that you can take in the water with you. If you expect more than point-and-shoot quality, you should not buy this camera. But understand you will spend more money on something else. For the average user, it is an absolutely fantastic camera for the price. You can take it anywhere, it fits in your POCKET (how nice is that?) and it will stand up to being dropped, getting wet, getting cold, etc. Take it on your family vacation without worrying about it. Now try to do that with a $3000 professional camera. Also, for people saying the quality sucks, I have blown up some of the photos from this camera to 16x20 prints and hung them on the wall. I certainly can't tell they were taken with a $140 camera, and neither can anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Testing waterproof cameras, March 5, 2014
I bought 3 waterproof cameras to take with me on vacation to the Bahamas (Used the Consumers Report to pick the cameras). The Nikon Coolpix AW110, Olympus TG2, and Panasonic Lumix FS5. I like the Nikon best for it's true color in and out of water, Olympus for the functions, and Lumix for it's all around used. I found that these three cameras works great if you follow the instructions, like going too deep underwater (Cause to leak and stop the cameras from working) or opening the seal to download your picture without making sure that the cameras have the same temperature as the surrounding environments (this can cause fogging in the lens). Always clean the cameras after used. After my testing, I let my friends barrow the cameras for their used to the beach, pools, snowboarding, and military deployment. The verdict is that my friend love the Lumix most. Great pictures in and out of water. Rugged, the camera survive being drop (snow, water, mud, sand, and even concrete less than 5 ft.). The price also help, it is the cheapest of the three. Panasonic Lumix waterproof camera performed better than what is advertise.

US Army Soldier station in Germany.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough waterproof camera, November 6, 2013
I bought this in July to take kayaking, both flat water and white water. I gotta say: I have beaten the crap out of this thing, and it's still going strong. It's definitely safe for water as long as you make sure it's closed properly. I always keep a float strap attached to it because I've dropped it in moving water more than once. the float strap is a life saver because the camera will sink. I've also dropped it on the hard ground more time than I can count. It's always falling out of something. The picture quality is good, not fantastic, but my pictures come out much better than anyone else's waterproof camera that I've seen. I rarely use it for video, but I'm thinking of finding a way to mount it on my kayak since my friends have so much trouble with their expensive Go Pros. Battery life is solid. For me, it lasts about 2-3 days turning it off and on, maybe 1 day it's getting heavy use. If you want a good outdoor camera, especially for water, this is a great pick. I've been very happy with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know much about cameras but I like this one..., February 13, 2013
Amazon Customer (Southeast Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS25 16.1 MP Tough Digital Camera with 8x Intelligent Zoom (Blue) (Electronics)
UPDATE 2: Just noticed another issue. The flash sometimes causes a bit of reflection the color of my finger along the right side of the imate, evidently becuase my fingers are too close (to the flash). This isn't an issue, I just move my fingers a bit. Good thing I preview work-pictures, though. I can't tell you how much I am appreciating the water and dust-proofing in this SE Florida monsoon season! No change in the rating.

UPDATE 1: Since purchasing I've used this quite a bit for work and personal photos. I still love the camera - I've been able to take pics in rain, around water and with a 4 year old hanging all over me without worrying about dust, water or dropping it. However, there are a couple of issues I haven't seen in other reviews: (1) the lens is easily "dirtied" by a finger print when you take this out of your pocket (no cover), and (2) I have to be more careful about taking photos in the direction of the sun or I sometimes get a big glare-streak... don't know why my other cameras didn't have this problem but it sometimes requires two hands (one to block the sun). These issues have not changed my rating.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Lots of camera-geek analysis here, and from what I read Panasonic meets my criteria - fast cycle after shooting, wide angle, durable and mainstream ("reliable") manufacturer. I mostly take photos for work, and any modern camera is satisfactory for family use.

This has a wider angle than my Canon PowerShot, which I am replacing, and no moving parts. I can shoot in the rain and carry it in my shirt pocket, neither of which are feasible with the Canon. The unit is "closed" so that I won't get construction dust or lint inside the lenses, which is why I need to replace my Canon.

Other than that, it's just a nice camera that I can get wet or drop, with all the usual bells and whistles (90% of which I'll never use). The price:value ratio is very good for my needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Well., June 23, 2013
I took this camera to Mexico with us on vacation. The camera worked well and took some good pictures in and out of the water, as long as you used the normal optical zoom. My only complaint would be that the Intelligent zoom does not work very well, it's a bit grainy, especially in low light and under water. Saying that it has an 8X zoom is a bit misleading, since it is not a true optical zoom. Had no problems with leakage and we snorkeled for a couple of hours. My husband has an older model that has manual modes and a lot more picture options. Next time I would go with a higher end model to have those options. This camera is very small which can make it a bit hard to hold on to and the movie mode button is so small it is hard to push, especially if you had larger fingers. All in all I like the camera, but some small changes could make it much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sooooooooo Disappointed., August 13, 2014
Tested camera for waterproof in a hotel pool before taking on vacation. All OK. Took snorkeling in Hawaii. Took pictures for about 2 minutes and then no more. It stopped working. Had all the seals clean and clear and the locks locked. Must not like salt water, because it never worked again. Always snorkel on surface, so camera was never more than about 24 inches below the surface. Such a disappointment. Now have no underwater pictures except the first 2 minutes. At least the guide on the snorkel and swim with dolphins tour took video and posted on youtube. Would definitely not recommend. It did work great on a vacation (on land only) taken in June. This camera is not waterproof. Even bought extra battery -- what a waste.

4.0 out of 5 stars River Rafting, April 16, 2014
Length:: 7:09 Mins

I bought this camera a few weeks before taking a cruise. This video of river rafting was taken on February 25, 2014 in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. The battery lasted the entire safari - about an hour and a half, but then it was dead. The original sound was in mono but was cleaned up and then synthesized to stereo. The video was not processed - what you see is what the camera took. I had the camera mounted on a bobber which I held in my hand. The bobber was attached to my wrist with a tether.

One thing to be aware of with this camera is that when taking video, you may hear clicking sounds in the audio - which is why I gave it a four star rating instead of five. The clicks are the sound of the aperture adjusting to changing light conditions. This is not a defect. It's mentioned in the instruction manual. However, if the sound you're recording is very loud, you probably won't notice the clicks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read before purchase to save money! =), November 16, 2014
!!!! FIRST: If you are buying this camera and don't read my review in it's entirety (shame on you)! But on a serious note, please do one thing... Buy an ACCIDENTAL PROTECTION PLAN (see my tips for what I used). Most people buying this camera are going away and plan on using the camera in multiple environments and situations. You do NOT want to buy this camera, use it, and not be able to replace it if needed (accidents can happen to ANYONE). Also, plans can be around $30 - $35. It will be the best thing you can do for your peace of mind. !!!

Now, on to reviewing the camera: I purchased this camera last minute, the week before leaving on my trip to Play Del Carmen, Mexico. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime!

This camera was exceptional at taking photos and videos. I prefer to use the HD settings for my photos and videos, but you can set a lower quality (to save space on the memory card). The images and videos were crystal clear. I will upload a photo as an example.

I used this camera all over the resort I stayed in, in the pool, at the resort's beach (salt water) and on multiple snorkeling adventures, and in cenotes all over Mexico. I did not have any issues with quality and it did indeed work under water in fresh, pool, and salt water.

When taking videos in HD, I do not recommend clicking the "play/view" button. Especially if the video is a bit long. The camera has to "render" the video which takes a while and can lock up the camera.

The camera has a streamlined appearance so swimming with it in my hands was not an issue and the battery life is good. I was able to get a day and a half's worth of photos on less active use. When using during adventure tours I used the camera more, but even then, I was able to get 4-5 hours of photos and videos.

The camera comes with everything to get it working right out of the box (wall charger, battery, memory card). I would recommend getting a higher memory card though (I went to Staples and picked up a 16GB HDSC memory card) and did not have to worry about deleting pictures or running out of memory all week. Additionally, the camera cannot be charged via usb, you need to put the battery in the wall charger adapter.

You can use pre-set "Scenes" to have the camera adjust settings for optimal photos. This is as simple as tapping the button and choosing another mode. I recommend it because when using the "Underwater" option, my water photos were much clearer and focused. Without using the setting, the difference is subtle (but as I mentioned, I like quality in my images).

This camera is NOT INDESTRUCTIBLE. This camera can become scratched if not careful. I was in the pools and reefs, snorkeling with turtles and stingrays, etc; this meant the camera was receiving a lot of action. My camera did get some scratches on the black surface, but at everything worked great still. Cracks in the glass however will completely ruin the waterproof seal, this will need replacing or the camera will not function properly.

Bottom Line: I would highly recommend this camera to ANYONE. It's interface is incredibly simple to use, there are no cases, etc to worry about. You just point and shoot, whether on land or in water.

Tips:

- (!!!) Buy a "Camera Accidental Protection Plan" - I recommend CANOPY:
Canopy 3-Year Camera Accidental Protection Plan ($175-$200)
I had to replace my camera after my friend cracked the glass on this camera on another trip. I received the money for it quickly because I bought this plan. Please BUY PROTECTION, cannot stress this enough!!! For more information, see my review on this plan: http://www.amazon.com/review/RENCUR2CM9BFP

- Always double check you closed the battery compartment or else water will get in

- Charge the battery before adventures, sometimes you have to leave the camera on for long periods to make sure you did not miss anything

- The flash is helpful but in water where there is no light (such as in cenotes and in caves) the images come out better without the flash on

- I HIGHLY recommend this kit: Must Have Accessory Kit For Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS25, DMC-TS20 WaterProof Digital Camera
NOTE:This kit that I suggested, gives you all the essentials for a long trip (floaty, spare battery, etc)

- A "floaty" is a MUST for your camera, accidents can happen (you or someone taking your picture might let go of the camera), this will help keep your camera floating in the water for retrieval

- A spare battery is also helpful (for days with multiple excursions), as is the card reader

So, what are you waiting for? Get this camera (and Accidental Damage Protection), go out on adventures (especially snorkeling) and do not look back! =)

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera made my wonderfu trip to the Great Barrier Reef fabulous!, August 25, 2013
MWM (shaker heights, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This camera was a last minute purchase. I had everything packed for my trip to Australia and had not done enough homework to warrant buying a waterproof camera. A good friend came over, checked the specs on what was available and not too expensive, and recommended this one. I ordered it Prime, received it, packed it, read the instructions on the plane, and then used it to photograph divers on the Gold Coast and underwater coral and fish! This camera lived up to and exceeded all expectations. It never leaked. The battery time was fine. The photos and videos were spectacular. I followed the instructions on how to desalt it in freshwater and it came back time after time. With the exception of the prescription diving mask that I bought, this was my second most important purchase for my trip.

1.0 out of 5 stars Self Destructs, October 15, 2013
David White (Temple, TX, US) - See all my reviews
I purchased this camera for its advertised ability to take underwater photos.
After following the waterproofing instructions to the letter it did take three
underwater pictures then promptly died. It is now useless and only after
taking three pictures. This camera obviously has a very severe design flaw.
Now we have to try to convince the company to exchange or refund our money
I am not sure how that is going to turn out. If it is an exchange I will not
allow this camera near water again.
If you are considering an underwater camera, Definately, Definately