5.0 out of 5 stars Great Waterproof Point and Shoot
Published 14 months ago by Jamie

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Well.
Published 15 months ago by DianeB

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Waterproof Point and Shoot, July 10, 2013
I have only used this camera underwater once so far, but it was absolutely fantastic. I took it to the swimming pool with my daughter and niece as a test run, and got some great shots of my niece swimming underwater, and alternated with underwater shots and above the water shots. The camera is made to slough off the water as soon as you pull it out, so the pictures out of the water don't have spots or water drops on them. It seems like a minor thing, but it really made a huge difference. As for being waterproof, it seemed to hold up great. After we got home, I noticed it had some chlorine spots on a couple pictures (after I tried to use a dry cleaning cloth on it) so I soaked it in a sink full of clean water for about 5 minutes, and voila! Perfect photos again. I've seen some reviews that say this camera doesn't work well inside, haven't noticed a problem myself. Pretty much every single picture I've taken with the camera has turned out with great color balance and good lighting. I have had a couple overexpose a bit with the flash, but hey, this is a point and shoot camera, not a professional grade camera. The overexposure can be fixed on the camera itself with the offered image editing or with editing software on your computer.

We'll be taking the camera on a trip to the lake in a week, so we'll see how it holds up with the sand and murky water, but so far I am more than pleased with this little camera, especially for the price! Can't wait to take it out and play with it some more.

EDIT: Used this camera on a trip in pools, lakes, and rivers. Had a blast. Got some great shots in the water, above the water, canoeing, kayaking, and even in a water feature fountain thing for the kids to play in, all with no worries about water leakage. I do recommend purchasing a floating wrist strap because the camera itself doesn't float if you drop it in deep water. Even in the lake and river the pictures came out great, though you need to be close to your subject in dirtier/murkier water. After a month and a couple weeks, I'd say it's already earned its keep for the price I paid. I think we took somewhere around 1600 photos on a two week trip with this little camera, and 99% of them were fantastic. I also bought an extra extended life battery, and with constant shooting, I did need to change the batteries about once a day. But, I take a LOT of photos.

EDIT2: After reading some of the other reviews here, I think something needs to be said - this is NOT an expensive, professional level camera. It isn't being sold as one, because it's not. No, you are not going to get perfect pictures every single time. You're not going to get perfectly clear-as-day underwater photos (although you will get some awesome ones). This is a point-and-shoot camera that you can take in the water with you. If you expect more than point-and-shoot quality, you should not buy this camera. But understand you will spend more money on something else. For the average user, it is an absolutely fantastic camera for the price. You can take it anywhere, it fits in your POCKET (how nice is that?) and it will stand up to being dropped, getting wet, getting cold, etc. Take it on your family vacation without worrying about it. Now try to do that with a $3000 professional camera. Also, for people saying the quality sucks, I have blown up some of the photos from this camera to 16x20 prints and hung them on the wall. I certainly can't tell they were taken with a $140 camera, and neither can anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Testing waterproof cameras, March 5, 2014
I bought 3 waterproof cameras to take with me on vacation to the Bahamas (Used the Consumers Report to pick the cameras). The Nikon Coolpix AW110, Olympus TG2, and Panasonic Lumix FS5. I like the Nikon best for it's true color in and out of water, Olympus for the functions, and Lumix for it's all around used. I found that these three cameras works great if you follow the instructions, like going too deep underwater (Cause to leak and stop the cameras from working) or opening the seal to download your picture without making sure that the cameras have the same temperature as the surrounding environments (this can cause fogging in the lens). Always clean the cameras after used. After my testing, I let my friends barrow the cameras for their used to the beach, pools, snowboarding, and military deployment. The verdict is that my friend love the Lumix most. Great pictures in and out of water. Rugged, the camera survive being drop (snow, water, mud, sand, and even concrete less than 5 ft.). The price also help, it is the cheapest of the three. Panasonic Lumix waterproof camera performed better than what is advertise.

US Army Soldier station in Germany.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know much about cameras but I like this one..., February 13, 2013
Mike Jacobs (Southeast Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS25 16.1 MP Tough Digital Camera with 8x Intelligent Zoom (Blue) (Electronics)
UPDATE 2: Just noticed another issue. The flash sometimes causes a bit of reflection the color of my finger along the right side of the imate, evidently becuase my fingers are too close (to the flash). This isn't an issue, I just move my fingers a bit. Good thing I preview work-pictures, though. I can't tell you how much I am appreciating the water and dust-proofing in this SE Florida monsoon season! No change in the rating.

UPDATE 1: Since purchasing I've used this quite a bit for work and personal photos. I still love the camera - I've been able to take pics in rain, around water and with a 4 year old hanging all over me without worrying about dust, water or dropping it. However, there are a couple of issues I haven't seen in other reviews: (1) the lens is easily "dirtied" by a finger print when you take this out of your pocket (no cover), and (2) I have to be more careful about taking photos in the direction of the sun or I sometimes get a big glare-streak... don't know why my other cameras didn't have this problem but it sometimes requires two hands (one to block the sun). These issues have not changed my rating.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Lots of camera-geek analysis here, and from what I read Panasonic meets my criteria - fast cycle after shooting, wide angle, durable and mainstream ("reliable") manufacturer. I mostly take photos for work, and any modern camera is satisfactory for family use.

This has a wider angle than my Canon PowerShot, which I am replacing, and no moving parts. I can shoot in the rain and carry it in my shirt pocket, neither of which are feasible with the Canon. The unit is "closed" so that I won't get construction dust or lint inside the lenses, which is why I need to replace my Canon.

Other than that, it's just a nice camera that I can get wet or drop, with all the usual bells and whistles (90% of which I'll never use). The price:value ratio is very good for my needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Well., June 23, 2013
I took this camera to Mexico with us on vacation. The camera worked well and took some good pictures in and out of the water, as long as you used the normal optical zoom. My only complaint would be that the Intelligent zoom does not work very well, it's a bit grainy, especially in low light and under water. Saying that it has an 8X zoom is a bit misleading, since it is not a true optical zoom. Had no problems with leakage and we snorkeled for a couple of hours. My husband has an older model that has manual modes and a lot more picture options. Next time I would go with a higher end model to have those options. This camera is very small which can make it a bit hard to hold on to and the movie mode button is so small it is hard to push, especially if you had larger fingers. All in all I like the camera, but some small changes could make it much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, great pictures, July 12, 2014
This is a great camera to use for any kind of use. We just came back from a trip to Mexico and it worked fine in all environments -- pool, beach, underwater and above water. Takes wonderful, clear pictures and great video. Very easy to use and understand! One tip is to make sure the lens is free from water drops or else you may have some drops on your pictures -- I used a towel or my dry cap to clean it. I am very glad we purchased this camera and can't wait to use it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this camera, August 30, 2013
Just got back from Maui and reviewed all of our pictures and videos. Everything came out great. Camera worked at depths of 10 ft+ while doing Snuba. Got great pics and video of reef fish and sea turtles! Pools, waterfalls, dry land, jungle zip lining through the air, panorama shots, this camera did it all and did it well. Combined with a Transcend 300X 32GB sd card. Only used 4GB on a week long trip.

Make sure you keep the orange seal area clean after opening to remove memory card or charge the battery and you should have no issues with water getting in. I also did not notice any fogging of the lens. Highly recommend this camera and thought it worked as well or better than any of my Canon point and shoots I have had in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera made my wonderfu trip to the Great Barrier Reef fabulous!, August 25, 2013
MWM (shaker heights, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This camera was a last minute purchase. I had everything packed for my trip to Australia and had not done enough homework to warrant buying a waterproof camera. A good friend came over, checked the specs on what was available and not too expensive, and recommended this one. I ordered it Prime, received it, packed it, read the instructions on the plane, and then used it to photograph divers on the Gold Coast and underwater coral and fish! This camera lived up to and exceeded all expectations. It never leaked. The battery time was fine. The photos and videos were spectacular. I followed the instructions on how to desalt it in freshwater and it came back time after time. With the exception of the prescription diving mask that I bought, this was my second most important purchase for my trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY satisfied with this camera!, May 27, 2014
I needed a waterproof camera mainly to use when I'm taking pics of the kids at the waterpark and whatnot. I am pretty picky when it comes to what I expect out of a camera even when I'm not spending a fortune. I see it as, "What's the point of a camera if all the pictures are terrible quality?" I bought and tried several comparable waterproofs before returning them. I tried an Olympus one and WOW, what a joke! I couldn't believe how awful it was. This is SO MUCH BETTER. If you're looking to get pretty decent pics for a deal, trust me. Go with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars River Rafting, April 16, 2014
Length:: 7:09 Mins

I bought this camera a few weeks before taking a cruise. This video of river rafting was taken on February 25, 2014 in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. The battery lasted the entire safari - about an hour and a half, but then it was dead. The original sound was in mono but was cleaned up and then synthesized to stereo. The video was not processed - what you see is what the camera took. I had the camera mounted on a bobber which I held in my hand. The bobber was attached to my wrist with a tether.

One thing to be aware of with this camera is that when taking video, you may hear clicking sounds in the audio - which is why I gave it a four star rating instead of five. The clicks are the sound of the aperture adjusting to changing light conditions. This is not a defect. It's mentioned in the instruction manual. However, if the sound you're recording is very loud, you probably won't notice the clicks.

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy little camera, December 8, 2013
I like this camera a lot. It was purchased for a cruise where I had planned a couple of snorkeling excursions. It performed just fine...not the best pictures I've ever taken, but it did the job for very little money. I'd never had the illusion that I'd be a master underwater photographer, so I wasn't disappointed with the pictures I got. Some were fantastic and others were total crap...it totally depended on the light and my (lack of) ability to manage to stay in one spot and not be tossed around by the current.

PROS:
Cost...hello...I got this camera for at least sixty bucks less (thanks Amazon) than it was being sold in local shops or on the cruise ship itself.

Size...it's tiny...so tiny that it fit in the pocket of my very small bathing suit.

Picture Quality...on land it did a fine job for an affordable point and shooter. In fact, I was very surprised at the quality of some of my shots. Given the right light and circumstance the pictures turned out beautifully.

Water Resistance....that's right. I didn't say 'water proof'. Nothing is water proof if you can open it up. While I did have one instance where there was a tiny bit of fog on the inside of the lens...I just opened it up and let it dry out while I ate lunch. Presto! Clear again. But, otherwise...no problem while being underwater for a couple hours.

Cuteness...It probably doesn't count to many people...but, this darn camera is a cutie pie. I was proud to pull it out and it always caught somebody's eye.

CONS:
Picture Quality...yep...it's under Pros too. It's probably not the camera's fault but I must have taken a hundred pictures underwater and I ended up keeping about fifteen of them. The clarity of the pictures wasn't the best...but, again, that's probably due to the fact that I was underwater that isn't as clear as the air. (duh.)

Software...the photo viewing/editing software that Panasonic offers is crap. I ended up just moving all the pics from the SD card over to my Kodak easyshare software.

SD Card....this camera uses a regular sized SD card and not the micro DS card that I already had. But, I solved that problem by buying an adapter. When that is number three on my CONS list...you know it's not a big problem, right? The camera did happen to handle my 32 gb high speed micro sd card beautifully....no drag at all. Pics were saved super quick and I could take another shot in a second.

That's it...I would really recommend this camera to anyone going on a vacation when they don't want to risk using their phone or a nicer camera. It worked well enough underwater and just fine above water. I'll probably still use my phone as my every day shooter and my digital SLR for other stuff. But, for cruises and pics by the water....I'll take this little gem with me.

Rate and Discover Movies