5.0 out of 5 stars Great Waterproof Point and Shoot
Published 12 months ago by Jamie

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Well.
Published 12 months ago by DianeB

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Waterproof Point and Shoot, July 10, 2013
I have only used this camera underwater once so far, but it was absolutely fantastic. I took it to the swimming pool with my daughter and niece as a test run, and got some great shots of my niece swimming underwater, and alternated with underwater shots and above the water shots. The camera is made to slough off the water as soon as you pull it out, so the pictures out of the water don't have spots or water drops on them. It seems like a minor thing, but it really made a huge difference. As for being waterproof, it seemed to hold up great. After we got home, I noticed it had some chlorine spots on a couple pictures (after I tried to use a dry cleaning cloth on it) so I soaked it in a sink full of clean water for about 5 minutes, and voila! Perfect photos again. I've seen some reviews that say this camera doesn't work well inside, haven't noticed a problem myself. Pretty much every single picture I've taken with the camera has turned out with great color balance and good lighting. I have had a couple overexpose a bit with the flash, but hey, this is a point and shoot camera, not a professional grade camera. The overexposure can be fixed on the camera itself with the offered image editing or with editing software on your computer.

We'll be taking the camera on a trip to the lake in a week, so we'll see how it holds up with the sand and murky water, but so far I am more than pleased with this little camera, especially for the price! Can't wait to take it out and play with it some more.

EDIT: Used this camera on a trip in pools, lakes, and rivers. Had a blast. Got some great shots in the water, above the water, canoeing, kayaking, and even in a water feature fountain thing for the kids to play in, all with no worries about water leakage. I do recommend purchasing a floating wrist strap because the camera itself doesn't float if you drop it in deep water. Even in the lake and river the pictures came out great, though you need to be close to your subject in dirtier/murkier water. After a month and a couple weeks, I'd say it's already earned its keep for the price I paid. I think we took somewhere around 1600 photos on a two week trip with this little camera, and 99% of them were fantastic. I also bought an extra extended life battery, and with constant shooting, I did need to change the batteries about once a day. But, I take a LOT of photos.

EDIT2: After reading some of the other reviews here, I think something needs to be said - this is NOT an expensive, professional level camera. It isn't being sold as one, because it's not. No, you are not going to get perfect pictures every single time. You're not going to get perfectly clear-as-day underwater photos (although you will get some awesome ones). This is a point-and-shoot camera that you can take in the water with you. If you expect more than point-and-shoot quality, you should not buy this camera. But understand you will spend more money on something else. For the average user, it is an absolutely fantastic camera for the price. You can take it anywhere, it fits in your POCKET (how nice is that?) and it will stand up to being dropped, getting wet, getting cold, etc. Take it on your family vacation without worrying about it. Now try to do that with a $3000 professional camera. Also, for people saying the quality sucks, I have blown up some of the photos from this camera to 16x20 prints and hung them on the wall. I certainly can't tell they were taken with a $140 camera, and neither can anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Testing waterproof cameras, March 5, 2014
I bought 3 waterproof cameras to take with me on vacation to the Bahamas (Used the Consumers Report to pick the cameras). The Nikon Coolpix AW110, Olympus TG2, and Panasonic Lumix FS5. I like the Nikon best for it's true color in and out of water, Olympus for the functions, and Lumix for it's all around used. I found that these three cameras works great if you follow the instructions, like going too deep underwater (Cause to leak and stop the cameras from working) or opening the seal to download your picture without making sure that the cameras have the same temperature as the surrounding environments (this can cause fogging in the lens). Always clean the cameras after used. After my testing, I let my friends barrow the cameras for their used to the beach, pools, snowboarding, and military deployment. The verdict is that my friend love the Lumix most. Great pictures in and out of water. Rugged, the camera survive being drop (snow, water, mud, sand, and even concrete less than 5 ft.). The price also help, it is the cheapest of the three. Panasonic Lumix waterproof camera performed better than what is advertise.

US Army Soldier station in Germany.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know much about cameras but I like this one..., February 13, 2013
Mike Jacobs (Southeast Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS25 16.1 MP Tough Digital Camera with 8x Intelligent Zoom (Blue) (Electronics)
UPDATE 2: Just noticed another issue. The flash sometimes causes a bit of reflection the color of my finger along the right side of the imate, evidently becuase my fingers are too close (to the flash). This isn't an issue, I just move my fingers a bit. Good thing I preview work-pictures, though. I can't tell you how much I am appreciating the water and dust-proofing in this SE Florida monsoon season! No change in the rating.

UPDATE 1: Since purchasing I've used this quite a bit for work and personal photos. I still love the camera - I've been able to take pics in rain, around water and with a 4 year old hanging all over me without worrying about dust, water or dropping it. However, there are a couple of issues I haven't seen in other reviews: (1) the lens is easily "dirtied" by a finger print when you take this out of your pocket (no cover), and (2) I have to be more careful about taking photos in the direction of the sun or I sometimes get a big glare-streak... don't know why my other cameras didn't have this problem but it sometimes requires two hands (one to block the sun). These issues have not changed my rating.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Lots of camera-geek analysis here, and from what I read Panasonic meets my criteria - fast cycle after shooting, wide angle, durable and mainstream ("reliable") manufacturer. I mostly take photos for work, and any modern camera is satisfactory for family use.

This has a wider angle than my Canon PowerShot, which I am replacing, and no moving parts. I can shoot in the rain and carry it in my shirt pocket, neither of which are feasible with the Canon. The unit is "closed" so that I won't get construction dust or lint inside the lenses, which is why I need to replace my Canon.

Other than that, it's just a nice camera that I can get wet or drop, with all the usual bells and whistles (90% of which I'll never use). The price:value ratio is very good for my needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Well., June 23, 2013
I took this camera to Mexico with us on vacation. The camera worked well and took some good pictures in and out of the water, as long as you used the normal optical zoom. My only complaint would be that the Intelligent zoom does not work very well, it's a bit grainy, especially in low light and under water. Saying that it has an 8X zoom is a bit misleading, since it is not a true optical zoom. Had no problems with leakage and we snorkeled for a couple of hours. My husband has an older model that has manual modes and a lot more picture options. Next time I would go with a higher end model to have those options. This camera is very small which can make it a bit hard to hold on to and the movie mode button is so small it is hard to push, especially if you had larger fingers. All in all I like the camera, but some small changes could make it much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 cameras, both leaked, August 10, 2013
Mike M. (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I purchased camera #1 for a trip to Belize last year. It worked well for the first day snorkeling in 8 feet of water, then leaked the 2nd day. The instructions are VERY precise describing how to ensure a waterproof seal and there is NO room for error. I followed the instructions exactly and this camera still leaked. The photos from day #1 however, were excellent. I returned the camera and received a replacement. I'm not sure if salt water is the problem, but the battery terminals were heavily corroded.

I just returned from a trip to St. Croix. The camera did not make it through day #1. Again, I followed the instructions precisely and the seal did not hold. I do not recommend buying this camera. I met a couple on vacation with a Canon PowerShot D10 camera that they have had for three years with absolutely no problem. This Panasonic camera is finicky and requires a surgeon's precision to operate.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent camera but I sent it back for a few reasons..., July 3, 2013
I was really excited to receive this camera prior to going on a vacation to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. On first use, it was great! I took a lot of pictures in the LAX airport and upon arrival to Cancun (where we flew in). It worked great. Powered on fast, fast shutter speed, fast focusing, and it took good quality pictures as I found out once downloading them to my laptop.

I used the camera in the pool and at the beach. Waterproof? Absolutely! I can only attest to its water integrity to about 3-4 feet, but it passed with flying colors. No leaks! Floats well with the floating wrist straps.

The second day of our trip I noticed a slight fogging of the lens on the inside. I had read that once you open the case (you have to do download pics) you can allow moisture in. It's very hot and humid in Playa Del Carmen so that's likely what happened. From this point on the camera was useless for the trip. I wasn't going to hold it against the camera because that's just the way it goes once moisture gets into something. But my sister bought the same camera for this trip and she never opened the case the entire time. Her's also began to fog up (not as severe as mine) and that's what really worried me. Waterproof cameras are awesome, but when they fog up, that's that! You can get strips to put inside the latch to absorb the moisture, but I didn't have that at the time.

I was still set on keeping the camera but I also discovered later that the video was a bit grainy. I thought it must have been set to a lower setting, but it was full quality. I have a Casio EX-S10 that takes much better quality video (and audio) than this camera and it has less lines of resolution.

So anyway...the camera went back today because I don't feel it lived up to the advertisement. I'm pretty fair in my opinions when it comes to my gadgets, so I gave an honest assessment of this product. It's a good camera, and the fogging could probably be corrected with adding strips to absorb the moisture, but the video was the deal breaker for me.

3 out of 5 stars. Good, but could be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera made my wonderfu trip to the Great Barrier Reef fabulous!, August 25, 2013
MWM (shaker heights, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This camera was a last minute purchase. I had everything packed for my trip to Australia and had not done enough homework to warrant buying a waterproof camera. A good friend came over, checked the specs on what was available and not too expensive, and recommended this one. I ordered it Prime, received it, packed it, read the instructions on the plane, and then used it to photograph divers on the Gold Coast and underwater coral and fish! This camera lived up to and exceeded all expectations. It never leaked. The battery time was fine. The photos and videos were spectacular. I followed the instructions on how to desalt it in freshwater and it came back time after time. With the exception of the prescription diving mask that I bought, this was my second most important purchase for my trip.

1.0 out of 5 stars Echo other reviews of poor quality waterproofing, November 21, 2013
I am so disappointed to have to echo other reviews of poor quality. I was initially very happy with the picture quality.... then the camera got wet ( pool, not deep ). It took pics in the pool, but the next time I started it the screed was not clear - to the point of being unusable. As soon as I'm back from my trip, this is back to Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor workmanship and worst customer service(Panasonic), November 11, 2013
This was the 3rd Lumix I had this year. The first was damaged in a fall so it was replaced by the insurance company. The replacement had such a shutter lag i missed most of my shots. I called Amazon and they replaced it with no problem. It seemed slow, but not as bad as the previous one. I took it in Oct (from purchasing in July of this year) on a Snorkel Trip. After the first 5 pictures it leaked, badly. I have been taking pictures underwater for sometime, so I know everything was checked and double-checked. I called Panasonic when I got back and they told me to expect a claim number and label in my email in 48hrs. well, 48 came and went. I called in again, and they told me the plant, or whomever was in Texas would not issue a label. I would have to pay to have it sent to be inspected. I requested to speak with a supervisor since this was a 3 month old camera. They said someone would call. That was last month. I gave up on them and called my insurance company and filed a claim, which they took care of immediately, INCLUDING the shipping label.
I will NEVER BY PANASONIC AGAIN. Why deal with a company who will not back up their own products.

1.0 out of 5 stars RUN AWAY: You get what you pay for!, February 11, 2014
In spite of reading and following instructions, this has leaked since the first time I used it in The Galapagos. It has been used for snorkeling and land only. It has received careful care and no harsh usage. I have been able to dry it out (mostly) several times, but it leaks about every time and now the view window is foggy. I have not been able to download to see if it is actually taking pictures and hope what was on my card is not ruined. On a snorkel trip today, a fellow snorkeler said this camera is what she originally purchased and she had the same experience. She said Panasonic replaced it and it happened to the replacement, as well. I looked closely at her Nikon Coolpix (about twice the price) and see a big difference. The Lumix has a snap closure, so you cannot control the pressure of the seal. Poor design and/or poor manufacturing. The Nikon Coolpix has a compression closure, so you can have some control of the seal. I am off to Costco to buy a Nikon Coolpix so I can enjoy the rest of my Maui vacation.

Rate and Discover Movies