Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on July 10, 2013
I have only used this camera underwater once so far, but it was absolutely fantastic. I took it to the swimming pool with my daughter and niece as a test run, and got some great shots of my niece swimming underwater, and alternated with underwater shots and above the water shots. The camera is made to slough off the water as soon as you pull it out, so the pictures out of the water don't have spots or water drops on them. It seems like a minor thing, but it really made a huge difference. As for being waterproof, it seemed to hold up great. After we got home, I noticed it had some chlorine spots on a couple pictures (after I tried to use a dry cleaning cloth on it) so I soaked it in a sink full of clean water for about 5 minutes, and voila! Perfect photos again. I've seen some reviews that say this camera doesn't work well inside, haven't noticed a problem myself. Pretty much every single picture I've taken with the camera has turned out with great color balance and good lighting. I have had a couple overexpose a bit with the flash, but hey, this is a point and shoot camera, not a professional grade camera. The overexposure can be fixed on the camera itself with the offered image editing or with editing software on your computer.

We'll be taking the camera on a trip to the lake in a week, so we'll see how it holds up with the sand and murky water, but so far I am more than pleased with this little camera, especially for the price! Can't wait to take it out and play with it some more.

EDIT: Used this camera on a trip in pools, lakes, and rivers. Had a blast. Got some great shots in the water, above the water, canoeing, kayaking, and even in a water feature fountain thing for the kids to play in, all with no worries about water leakage. I do recommend purchasing a floating wrist strap because the camera itself doesn't float if you drop it in deep water. Even in the lake and river the pictures came out great, though you need to be close to your subject in dirtier/murkier water. After a month and a couple weeks, I'd say it's already earned its keep for the price I paid. I think we took somewhere around 1600 photos on a two week trip with this little camera, and 99% of them were fantastic. I also bought an extra extended life battery, and with constant shooting, I did need to change the batteries about once a day. But, I take a LOT of photos.

EDIT2: After reading some of the other reviews here, I think something needs to be said - this is NOT an expensive, professional level camera. It isn't being sold as one, because it's not. No, you are not going to get perfect pictures every single time. You're not going to get perfectly clear-as-day underwater photos (although you will get some awesome ones). This is a point-and-shoot camera that you can take in the water with you. If you expect more than point-and-shoot quality, you should not buy this camera. But understand you will spend more money on something else. For the average user, it is an absolutely fantastic camera for the price. You can take it anywhere, it fits in your POCKET (how nice is that?) and it will stand up to being dropped, getting wet, getting cold, etc. Take it on your family vacation without worrying about it. Now try to do that with a $3000 professional camera. Also, for people saying the quality sucks, I have blown up some of the photos from this camera to 16x20 prints and hung them on the wall. I certainly can't tell they were taken with a $140 camera, and neither can anyone else.
33 comments369 of 381 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2014
I bought 3 waterproof cameras to take with me on vacation to the Bahamas (Used the Consumers Report to pick the cameras). The Nikon Coolpix AW110, Olympus TG2, and Panasonic Lumix FS5. I like the Nikon best for it's true color in and out of water, Olympus for the functions, and Lumix for it's all around used. I found that these three cameras works great if you follow the instructions, like going too deep underwater (Cause to leak and stop the cameras from working) or opening the seal to download your picture without making sure that the cameras have the same temperature as the surrounding environments (this can cause fogging in the lens). Always clean the cameras after used. After my testing, I let my friends barrow the cameras for their used to the beach, pools, snowboarding, and military deployment. The verdict is that my friend love the Lumix most. Great pictures in and out of water. Rugged, the camera survive being drop (snow, water, mud, sand, and even concrete less than 5 ft.). The price also help, it is the cheapest of the three. Panasonic Lumix waterproof camera performed better than what is advertise.

US Army Soldier station in Germany.
11 comment223 of 240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2013
I bought this in July to take kayaking, both flat water and white water. I gotta say: I have beaten the crap out of this thing, and it's still going strong. It's definitely safe for water as long as you make sure it's closed properly. I always keep a float strap attached to it because I've dropped it in moving water more than once. the float strap is a life saver because the camera will sink. I've also dropped it on the hard ground more time than I can count. It's always falling out of something. The picture quality is good, not fantastic, but my pictures come out much better than anyone else's waterproof camera that I've seen. I rarely use it for video, but I'm thinking of finding a way to mount it on my kayak since my friends have so much trouble with their expensive Go Pros. Battery life is solid. For me, it lasts about 2-3 days turning it off and on, maybe 1 day it's getting heavy use. If you want a good outdoor camera, especially for water, this is a great pick. I've been very happy with it
review image review image
0Comment73 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2013
UPDATE 2: Just noticed another issue. The flash sometimes causes a bit of reflection the color of my finger along the right side of the imate, evidently becuase my fingers are too close (to the flash). This isn't an issue, I just move my fingers a bit. Good thing I preview work-pictures, though. I can't tell you how much I am appreciating the water and dust-proofing in this SE Florida monsoon season! No change in the rating.

UPDATE 1: Since purchasing I've used this quite a bit for work and personal photos. I still love the camera - I've been able to take pics in rain, around water and with a 4 year old hanging all over me without worrying about dust, water or dropping it. However, there are a couple of issues I haven't seen in other reviews: (1) the lens is easily "dirtied" by a finger print when you take this out of your pocket (no cover), and (2) I have to be more careful about taking photos in the direction of the sun or I sometimes get a big glare-streak... don't know why my other cameras didn't have this problem but it sometimes requires two hands (one to block the sun). These issues have not changed my rating.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Lots of camera-geek analysis here, and from what I read Panasonic meets my criteria - fast cycle after shooting, wide angle, durable and mainstream ("reliable") manufacturer. I mostly take photos for work, and any modern camera is satisfactory for family use.

This has a wider angle than my Canon PowerShot, which I am replacing, and no moving parts. I can shoot in the rain and carry it in my shirt pocket, neither of which are feasible with the Canon. The unit is "closed" so that I won't get construction dust or lint inside the lenses, which is why I need to replace my Canon.

Other than that, it's just a nice camera that I can get wet or drop, with all the usual bells and whistles (90% of which I'll never use). The price:value ratio is very good for my needs.
0Comment153 of 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2014
Tested camera for waterproof in a hotel pool before taking on vacation. All OK. Took snorkeling in Hawaii. Took pictures for about 2 minutes and then no more. It stopped working. Had all the seals clean and clear and the locks locked. Must not like salt water, because it never worked again. Always snorkel on surface, so camera was never more than about 24 inches below the surface. Such a disappointment. Now have no underwater pictures except the first 2 minutes. At least the guide on the snorkel and swim with dolphins tour took video and posted on youtube. Would definitely not recommend. It did work great on a vacation (on land only) taken in June. This camera is not waterproof. Even bought extra battery -- what a waste.
on June 23, 2013
I took this camera to Mexico with us on vacation. The camera worked well and took some good pictures in and out of the water, as long as you used the normal optical zoom. My only complaint would be that the Intelligent zoom does not work very well, it's a bit grainy, especially in low light and under water. Saying that it has an 8X zoom is a bit misleading, since it is not a true optical zoom. Had no problems with leakage and we snorkeled for a couple of hours. My husband has an older model that has manual modes and a lot more picture options. Next time I would go with a higher end model to have those options. This camera is very small which can make it a bit hard to hold on to and the movie mode button is so small it is hard to push, especially if you had larger fingers. All in all I like the camera, but some small changes could make it much better.
22 comments120 of 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2015
EDIT 5/16/15: This camera just gets worse. Stills suck. Video is horrible. All of it worse than my 3-year old Lumia phone camera. That is seriously bad. Tried shooting panoramas with it during a long trail run today up several mountains. It pretty much ruined them all. They're striped like zebras, because the camera is too stupid to fix the exposure and/or the stitching algorithm is too dumb to compensate for vignetting that sometimes comes at the end of individual frames.

I am very disappointed in this camera. I am a normally user of higher-end gear (Fuji finepix x100, Canon EOS full frame SLRs, etc.) I believe my expectations were right on this camera. I just wanted a small, pocketable camera that could handle being out in the rain on trail runs, and produce *decent* pictures. By decent, I mean better than my cell phone (Lumia 920). I did not expect something as good as, say, a Fuji x20 or anything like that.

This camera performs worse than my cell phone and worse than several much older Canon powershots.

I have tested the images from this camera against those produced by my Lumia 920 and they are inferior in every way. I can hardly believe it. Despite being made with what should be a higher-quality lens and with a much higher pixel count, detail is lacking. They're both noisier and over-smoothed. The photos are mushy, indistinct, and incredibly, the phone does a much better job auto-balancing the light source. That's a 3 year-old phone, with a smaller, less pixel-dense chip, outperforming a much newer camera. That's a camera, with a dedicated photo logic chip underperforming a phone's camera app.

Bad.

I cannot speak to its water, weather, or shock proofness, and I don't know if I'll ever be able too. When it takes photos worse than the phone, why would I ever carry it, except maybe into the pool or into the certain death of the beach? That may be all it's good for, but just expect low image quality.
review image
11 comment8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2015
Camera took great pictures for a great price and held up under snorkeling, bodysurfing and free diving to 25 feet or so in Krabi Thailand. Battery life is very good and images are clear. Get a 32 Gig SD card and you'll have a weeks worth of Hi-Dev videos, stills and panoramas!
review image
on July 8, 2014
This is a good camera. I bought it on clearance at the local red dot store for an upcoming trip where there will be snorkeling involved, so I will update this review once the camera gets some time underwater.

The camera is very responsive for a point and shoot; it starts up quickly and has very little shutter lag. I primarily shoot Sony cameras and the occasional Canon P&S, so the menu system took a little while to get used to, but for the most part it is intuitive and well set up. Image quality is about what you would expect from a small waterproof camera. At base ISO, picture quality is good for a compact, but pixel peeping will show the limitations of a small sensor and all the weatherproofing, as is the case with all cameras like this. ISO 200 is pretty solid as well, and it isn't until ISO 400 that you really notice significant noise. The image stabilization is excellent. I've gotten tack sharp photos handheld at shutter speeds as slow as 1/8 with no problems.

The last waterproof camera I bought was a Canon D10, which served me well for 4 years and never leaked. Side by side image quality at similar ISO levels reveal that the newer Panasonic captures a bit more detail at the pixel level, but the overall appearance of the images is about the same. Which is a good thing; I never had any complaints about the image quality of the D10. The D10 had a max f-stop of 2.8 compared to 3.9 on the TS25, so you do lose a stop there, but the optical image stabilization is so good that it makes up for the relatively slow lens. Most of the time I'll be using this camera, it will be bright sunny days at the beach or on the water, so an f-stop of 3.9 is likely more than I'll ever need for the vast majority of occasions where I decide to break this guy out.

One odd thing about this camera is that you cannot change the JPEG quality settings (e.g. fine, superfine, normal). I usually shoot my cameras in the 5-6 megapixel range, and doing so on the TS25 results in photos that are 4-6 MB in size. The way I work around this to get smaller file sizes is I shoot in camera at the 10 MP setting, and once I transfer the photos to my Macbook, I use preview to resize the images to 6 megapixels, resulting in files that are around a more appropriate 2 MB which is far less clutter on my hard drive. Even though this is technically a 16 megapixel camera, it is nowhere near the quality of a true 16 megapixel camera (like an APS-C sized 16 mp Fuji X-Trans for example) due to its tiny sensor. I treat it like a decent 8 mp camera and have been pleased with those expectations.

For the price, I have been happy with the purchase so far. I think most people would be satisfied with this camera, provided they understand that devices like this are designed for a very specific purpose. As long as it is used for that purpose and not for something unrealistic and completely ridiculous like trying to take long exposure noise-free shots of the Milky Way at 3 AM, it is a solid and very cost effective choice.

***Addendum 9-1-14: I used this camera on a recent trip to Southeast Asia where I took it swimming in the ocean and some light snorkeling. No leaks or waterproofing problems. One thing to be careful of is to avoid touching the lens. It smudges pretty easily, especially if you have any sunscreen remnants on your fingertips.
on February 11, 2014
In spite of reading and following instructions, this has leaked since the first time I used it in The Galapagos. It has been used for snorkeling and land only. It has received careful care and no harsh usage. I have been able to dry it out (mostly) several times, but it leaks about every time and now the view window is foggy. I have not been able to download to see if it is actually taking pictures and hope what was on my card is not ruined. On a snorkel trip today, a fellow snorkeler said this camera is what she originally purchased and she had the same experience. She said Panasonic replaced it and it happened to the replacement, as well. I looked closely at her Nikon Coolpix (about twice the price) and see a big difference. The Lumix has a snap closure, so you cannot control the pressure of the seal. Poor design and/or poor manufacturing. The Nikon Coolpix has a compression closure, so you can have some control of the seal. I am off to Costco to buy a Nikon Coolpix so I can enjoy the rest of my Maui vacation.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse