5.0 out of 5 stars Review: Panasonic Lumix ZS15 12.1 MP 16x Digital Camera Vs. Canon SX230 HS
Review: Panasonic Lumix ZS15 12.1 MP 16x Digital Camera Vs. Canon SX230 HS

(Please note: embedded images are not possible, so I've uploaded a few of the referenced images here on Amazon separately, along with several other representative images.)

From left, the Panasonic ZS-15, Canon SX230, Sony HX5V, and a Panasonic ZR-3. There isn't a huge...
Published on May 2, 2012 by Randy Wakeman

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Except When Wide .......
After a lot of research I bought this camera. I think it is a great camera except for the main and most important reason that I bought it. Image quality at extreme wide angle(24mm on 35mm equivalent)is poor on the sides. At this setting only center portion was sharp and both sides(aprox. 25% in)were quite noticeably softer then center. At other settings of lens(slight...
Published on June 29, 2012 by Frank Saragnese

‹ Previous | 18 9 1029 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cameras, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS15 12.1 MP High Sensitivity MOS Digital Camera with 16x Optical Zoom (Black) (Electronics)
After painfully reviewing every camera in this category, I went with this one. It was an excellent choice and performed beautifully. Picture quality and movie quality are excellent and the camera is pretty robust.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera, April 22, 2013
After looking at many reviews, I decided on this camera. It has come in above expectations. On a trip I was able to take photos through a bus window while it was moving and the pictures came out focused. I was amazed, as I had expected to see nothing bur blurs. It takes a little time to learn all the functions but it is well worth it. The long zoom on this camera worked great to get pictures from our ship of the shore line. I would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes great pictures, April 22, 2013
Great value for the money. My family has several professional photographers in it (not me), and I think my pictures with this camera rival their Nikon cameras with a similar feature range. I had another Lumix before this one and loved it, and purchased the second Lumix which I am even more pleased with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, small and lightweight, April 19, 2013
I wanted to replace an old digital camera so I started to look around what was on offer. I was very disappointed to read the number of reports of cameras that malfunctioned where the quality control was clearly to blame and the manufacturer did not want to know, charging as much to repair a camera that was less than one year old as the cost of a new one.
Then I discovered this camera. No recommendations of it being essential to buy an extended warranty here. The camera is small enough to ensure I take it with me, takes fantastic pictures and is easy to use. I took my first 50 pictures without reading the instructions (I always think you should be able to do this). I like the separate slide switch for on-off, how many times I switched off my other camera instead of taking a picture - two buttons close to one another! There is another slide switch that changes the camera from taking to viewing pictures - simple and foolproof. There is virtually no time delay between taking one picture and being able to take the next. The flash is small so you can't expect to illuminate the front of a building with it, but it is adequate for fill in as the low light abilities of this camera are excellent. I am looking forward to taking this on holiday with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast camera!, April 13, 2013
I LOVE this camera. I wanted a small camera that took fast shots. I bought a 16 mp Canon for this reason and was very disappointed in the shot delays. It took 6 seconds to get ready for the next shot. This little panasonic is super-responsive, and takes the photo when the button is pressed. It is almost immediately ready for the next shot. I am very happy with it and my husband, who uses a fancy camera, says it is a very impressive point and shoot with tons of extra features. This is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, March 26, 2013
I like the ZS 15, it does more than my ZS 7 and does it easier. All the features work well. I was surprised that the charging system is different. The 15 uses USB type charging with the battery staying in the camera. I like the 7 charger set up, where you take the battery out and charge it, so you can put a spare in the camera and keep shooting

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat the picture quality for this price!, March 23, 2013
This is probably my 5th or 6th LUMIX camera. I am a home inspector and take 50-100 pictures a day. The ease of operation and compact size make it ideal for my line of work. The 20x optical zoom allows me see roof anomalies without actually having to walk many roofs. The Leica lens is the heart and soul of this camera and never fails to disappoint. Word of warning though, DO NOT get it dirty or bump it around too much. There is a reason this one of many I have owned, they break easily. I keep coming back to this camera because I cannot get as good of pictures with other cameras. I bought a $400+ Olympus camera that is "hardened" but it takes poor quality pictures (I use that camera when I go into a crawlspace). The Lumix is a great camera and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera!, March 16, 2013
R. Brost "mercerguy323" (Galloway, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this camera a while ago and have had a chance to use it a bit before commenting here. First, let me say that the camera is replacing an older Canon SX 150IS. There are things I miss on the Canon but, think the picture quality from this camera is better. The camera powers up faster and is smaller than my Canon. I used the Panoramic setting for the first time and it came out great! I cannot comment on battery life as I use the Manual setting to take my photos and rarely use the flash. Not using the flash saves my battery life and using Manual allows me to set my exposure. Unfortunately, this is where my biggest gripe and possibly only one comes into play.

This camera has an exposure meter on it that you view on the LED and it is helpful for getting what the camera says is the accurate exposure for your photo before you snap the picture. It's in the form of a sliding scale that when the setting is centered, indicates that you have the perfect exposure. The problem is, you have to go through the additional step of pressing the exposure button before adjusting your settings to the perfect exposure. This not only takes time, valuable time you may need to get the shot but, if you happen to forget to push the exposure button it takes you to either the auto bracket or timer setting choices. Not what you wanted and more wasted time. You then have to back out of the mistaken choice and then remember to hit the exposure button and then adjust accordingly.
There is another way to "engage" the exposure settings and I find myself doing this more often rather than hitting the exposure button first. By depressing the shutter half way the exposure is hilighted and engaged, ready for you to make your adjustments to the shutter speed or aperture. BTW, the adjustments are made using the round disc on the camera with pressing up or down adjusting the shutter speed and the left and right adjusting the aperture setting. I find that if I am at all close on my settings then their usually isn't much adjusting needed. My Canon didn't require this extra step and thus I was ready to snap the picture sooner with it.

Other than that small frustrating glitch, I would buy this camera again and again. It takes great photos, is fast to start, focuses fast and is medium in size. It fits in your pocket, just not like the really slim ones. Low light photos have been just average.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera for the price, February 26, 2013
After extensive comparison shopping, I bought this camera for my wife as a Christmas present. I am surprised at how good and inexpensive it is. It suits our basic needs. It is easy to use. The Image quality is quite good and there is little lag time in taking a picture. We really like the zoom feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family photos & video for home amateur, February 22, 2013
I have a great Nikon SLR but an older model with no video. In addition it is a bit bulky to be toting around to family events. My video camera is of the old tape type and it was always uncomfortable having to carry a video camera and a still camera. The Lumix DMC-ZS15 does both really well and easily fits in my coat pocket. It will not get all the low-light photos my SLR will get but it will get great photos in daylight and wonderful videos even indoors. It is a fine point and shoot camera which is much easier to carry while visiting friends or out in the park with family.

For video I mainly use it for my two son's wrestling and judo meets which are always indoors in large gyms. Even in a large gym when I was on the opposite end, the 16X was all (or more than) I needed. Most of the time I was happy with 10X-12X. It shakes enough at 16X I cant imagine using a larger magnification. The "SH" video is superb. I didn't try the AVCHD because the SH is so good for my purposes - viewing on a 19" monitor.

I use Window's "Movie Maker" to edit which suits my basic needs fully. For still photos you need more light than for video which is understandable since there are more pixels in the still photo.

Get a spare set of batteries since video and some flash stills will drain your battery pretty fast. I got about 30 minutes of video on a battery and was very glad to have the spare. I changed batteries very quickly in mid-match one time losing only about 10 seconds.

‹ Previous | 18 9 1029 | Next ›