5.0 out of 5 stars Dad's Review
Published on May 15, 2011 by Lisa Michaels

1.0 out of 5 stars Locks up with latest firmware (1.33)
Love the price and the silent (fanless) nature of this player. However, after updating to the latest firmware (1.33), unit locks up on a regular basis. No response to any button presses on remote or on the unit itself. Have to unplug it to restart it.

Many others have reported this too. Panasonic are you out there? Your latest firmware has a major bug!
Published on January 5, 2012 by A. Larsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Dad's Review, May 15, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BD75 Ultra-Fast Booting Blu-ray Disc Player (Electronics)
I just needed a solid Blue Ray DVD player - to play DVDs. I bought this off the shelf at Target for $99, plugged it in and it worked great. I liked the very quick start up from the time you put the disc in until it is playing on the screen. Excellent picture. Super slim and attractive body. Very simple to use. Requires no intelligence to set up or operate. (Don't forget to buy whatever cables you need - none included except the power plug) If you want an easy to use player to watch DVDs this one is a great value for the cost and really does give a beautiful, clear picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Blu-ray picture and Netflix streaming, April 16, 2011
I've had this Bd75 for about a month now. When I first received it , I had problems. I mainly got this unit so I could stream Netflix movies, and wanted to have a Blu-ray player to connect to my Panasonic TC-L42U22 1080p LCD TV.
When the player chose to work, I was overwhelmed by the fantastic picture quality of this TV/Blu-ray combo. But, the Bd75 had bugs, and if you're like me, if something doesn't work as it should right out of the box, chances are things are only going to get worse.
I decided that the Bd75 was so good at streaming Netflix movies that I would keep it, bugs and all.
Now for the really good news. I turned the unit on a few days ago, and had a on-screen message that there was a firmware update available. Version 1.19 I let it download. It restarts itself after the download, and since then, NO bugs, freeze-ups, or any other problems.
If this firmware update does its job, then this Bd75 player will be a steal at the $99.00 it sells for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, DLNA takes some work, March 13, 2011
Dr. Woo (Schnecksville, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I have been waiting for this Blu-ray player since it was announced in January, bought this to use with my Panasonic VIERA TV set. VIERA link is the main reason I bought this -- it's for our exercise room, and my wife hates all the remotes. Great as a basic DVD/blu-ray player. Pop in a DVD, TV turns on, and sets the correct input. Also, one button selection of Netflix works great, and the new Netflix interface includes search. On screen interface is also very nice and easy to use. As will all new players, only has HDMI and composite video connectors, but single HDMI for video and audio is nice and is required for VIERA link.

Only reason for the 4 stars is DLNA (which in not just an issue with this device). Writing this in the hopes of saving at least one person the hours I spent setting this up. First, with my Windows 7 PC, the device was able to see and play the Windows Media Center .wtv files (I have a TV tuner card in my PC), so you can record shows on your PC and watch them on this player in another room. Compatibility with .wtv files was not mentioned in the manual, nor by Panasonic online support. Panasonic support also said that .mkv files would only play via a disk or the usb, but some of my .mkv files on my PC did play using DLNA (for some reason, only the files with an aspect ratio of 1024X576 or higher will play). Decided I needed a media server.

After trying Tversity, Playon, and Serviio, none of which would work with the DMP-BD75, I installed Mezzmo on my PC. Worked like a champ! The player sees all the files on my PC and they play flawlessly over my home network.

Remote will only control TV volume, power, and input, so if you switch to TV, you have to switch remotes. Don't know why in TV mode the number keys couldn't function to enter a channel number. Still, the remote will control all disc functions, Netflix, and all my video files via DLNA. One thing with the remote and VIERA link, the large power button turns on the player and will also turn on the TV at the same time. However, when you power down, using the large power button only turns off the player (which does make sense, you may want to leave the TV on). There is a second power button for the TV. If you turn off that button, both with shut down.

Overall, for just under $100 you can't go wrong. And if you aren't interested in DLNA or 3D, then this would be a 5 star player.

Update 12/18/2011

Panasonic recently release another firmware update, 1.33. I notice that the DLNA connection is much faster than before. However, I just upgraded my TV to a new Panasonic Viera Plasma set. It also has DLNA, and the DLNA files load extremely fast on the TV compared to this Blu-ray player. Sometimes on the BD75 it takes a minute or more to load a video, the new TV does it in seconds. Both are on hard-wired ethernet on the same network. Looks like after only 9 months this will strictly be a Blu-ray player on my system.

1.0 out of 5 stars Locks up with latest firmware (1.33), January 5, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Great inexpensive Blu-ray player, December 6, 2011
dehnehsu (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
First off, I purchased this player to play my old standard DVD collection as an upgrade replacement to an old noisy fading 10 year old Toshiba player. The Panasonic plays standard DVD's, Scratched Library DVD's, My own burned DVD +R and - R's (DVD's I burned on a computer and from a DVD recorder) with no problems, no freezing, or hesitating at all. I did play a Blu-ray (Cars 2) and had 2 Disc versions of the movies to compare. There is a big difference of image quality even on on my 720p 26" Vizio. The Blu-ray quality is spectacular. The player is quiet when playing DVD's and Blu-rays. Only a little expected quiet "clunking" when loading or navigating a disc. This is one of the reasons I opted for this over the LG BD630. Both entry level (around $80) players were highly rated by Consumers Reports but I read reviews that the LG was noisy, and had problems reading burned discs.

I don't have this player connected to an ethernet cable and I know there are problems with it in that respect. So if you don't do the Netflix / Streaming thing this is a good choice. The Panasonic also plays JPEGS on DVD's and CD's and USB Flash Drives. It does load my JPEG's (From a 10 megapixel camera) slowly though. I could never get it to play MP3's on a Flash Drive, but it played MP3's burned to a DVD just fine.

Another interesting point is there is a resume feature on DVD's but not Blu-rays. I've read that Blu-ray Java (BD-J) discs do not let you resume the disc where you left off after you hit stop once (and turn the power off) It's a function of the Blu-ray Disc and not the player! So if you're watching a Blu-ray movie, hit stop to get a snack then press play it'll play from the beginning again. The manual does state it can't resume Blu-rays, however there are Blu-ray discs with bookmarks and resume features included.

Update: This Panasonic and other players can resume Blu-rays if included in the disc. I found out you can use bookmark features built into some Blu-ray discs or just hit stop, turn off the power button and continue later. You might have to sit thru the short Legal / Warning disclaimers again, but it resumes shortly after that. The Onscreen prompt will ask if you'd like to continue or not.

Note: This unit does not come with an HDMI Cable. I keep reading reviews where buyers complain it's missing. It's tricky but the Manual is for both the DMP-BD75 and the DMP-BD755. On page 8 the diagram states that the HDMI cable only comes with the BD755. On page 4 under "Supplied Accessories" They put a box around BD755 indicating it's only included for that model. It's a little confusing. On the other hand the product description on Amazon and the box itself don't list the HDMI as included.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This for Amazon Video on Demand, March 30, 2011
Panasonic says this player won't support Amazon Video on Demand as it does not have VIERA Cast capability. There is currently no firmware update and they told me they don't expect to add this feature in the future either. It does support Netflix streaming.

I have since returned the DMP-BD75 and purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD65 with VIERA Cast. The DMP-BD65 works great and streams Amazon Video on Demand.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has some problems, August 13, 2011
The picture quality for Blu-ray and DVD is very good, and the boot time is excellent. However, in just a few uses the machine has shown a tendency to lock up and the only way to resolve the issue is to pull the power cord. This has happened while viewing movies, and looking at photos that are stored on my PC.

The Netflix quality is poor. I also have a Roku box that I use for Netflix, and the quality for the Roku far exceeds that of the Panasonic Blu-ray player. Since the quality on the Roku is so much better I don't consider the Blu-ray player as even being an option if I want to watch anything through Netflix.

All things considered it is not a bad Blu-ray player, but the tendency to freeze up makes this a machine that I probably would not recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Firmware update??? Thanks a lot...., February 4, 2012
This product work fine for about 5 minutes, I set up my netflix account and tested it out. It was a little laggy when navigating the menus, but otherwise it was just fine. So then I do the firmware update. It goes through all the motions and restarts. Now all I see is the blue background screen and nothing else. Display constantly reads, HELLO and nothing else. Remote buttons and console buttons do nothing. The only way to turn the thing off is to unplug it! I plug it in again after waiting a few minutes and the result is the same. Needless to say, I'm not very happy with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars first unit great, second unit a failure..., August 8, 2011
Panasonic DMP-BD75 Ultra-Fast Booting Blu-ray Disc Player
Here is my original 2011 review:
"I was reluctant to purchase this model due to the number of negative reviews, but I have been extremely pleased after about two months of use. I bought it to play Blu ray on our new Samsung 46" and so far it has performed flawlessly. I used HDMI for the connection and it automatically turns the TV on (but not off). It enhances standard DVDs and they look great on the HD screen. The markings are difficult to read on the front of the unit, but the remote is well organized and easy to use. I have not set up the Netflix link, so I can not comment on that feature. I have been using Blockbuster Express and have never had a disc rejected (and some of them look pretty beat up!) I feel that the DMP-BD75 is an excellent value... I would recommend it to a friend".

Review Sept 2013:
The first DMP-BD75 was purchased from *ears for $100 in June 2011. I was pleased with the product and ordered a second unit from Amazon for the bedroom in Jan 2012 (it was on sale at that time for $60). It also worked fine (for about 18 months) until recently when I began experiencing the frequent "lock-ups" described by other reviewers. These small electronic items cannot be economically repaired, so this one is in the trash today.

Note: the original unit still works fine after daily use for over 2 years, so I would probably give a blended rating of three stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent basic Blu-ray player, October 10, 2011
This is an excellent no-frills Blu-ray player that doesn't require a degree in electronics or digital media to set up and use IMMEDIATELY. The picture quality was MUCH better than I expected for playing DVDs; one would expect excellent clarity for a Blu-ray disc, but I was truly impressed with the clarity of the picture rendered from DVDs. Much has been made in previous reviews over the set-up menu; they were right. Simple to use, user friendly, easy to change entries. Other reviewers made the point that THIS is the player to buy to replace your old DVD player, and to play old scratched DVDs that you rent from the public library; they were right. No more skips into digital wonderland and then back to the beginning of the disc. No more freezing up. And there are little design bonuses that I really appreciated. The Open/Close button for loading discs is on the UPPER surface of the right hand corner of the deck (i.e. not on the front panel); easy to just reach down and push if you are standing up. Panasonic has also stated that the unit loads a Blu-ray faster than in the past with earlier Panasonic units; don't know about the past, but this unit loaded my discs just dandy. And for $81?? How the heck can you go wrong? It really is rare to find a bargain like this for this price. It has been said that "You get what you pay for." This is the rare example where I can say "You get FAR more than you paid for."