5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased!
This Panasonic DMP-BD110 is the fourth BD player that I have purchased in since 2007 (my first being the Panasonic DMP-BD10A, second a Sharp HP20, third a Panasonic DMP-BD60). As you can imagine, the last thing I really needed was another BD player, however, I just got a great deal on a 3D tv and, well, you know how it goes. :)

I am giving this product a...
Published on July 28, 2011 by LoveMyToys

2.0 out of 5 stars Netflix streaming broken, DLNA client very spotty
------- Update 4/10/2011 ----------------
I am returning this unit to the seller (even if they make me pay return shipment) for the following reasons:
Panasonic just released V1.56 of the firmware for this player and nothing got fixed (DLNA and Netflix still don't work) so it is unclear why they released this update at all.

After I re-flashed the...
Published on March 26, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased!, July 28, 2011
LoveMyToys (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Wi-Fi Ready 3D/2D Blu-ray Disc Player (Electronics)

I am giving this product a qualified 5 stars, with this caveat: for most people, it would be well worth it to spend the extra money to purchase the the next model up (the Panasonic DMP-BDT210), which includes the wireless-n wifi dongle. These two players are essentially the same with the exception of the dongle, some cosmetic differences and the motion sensor that opens the BD tray (not something I care for to be honest). For those purchasing the BDT110, if you do not have access to an ethernet connection for internet, you will be stuck buying a dongle for Panasonic's exorbitant price (since no other dongles work). This is a big knock against this player that has been pointed out by other reviewers. For my purposes, however, the BDT110 is just splendid since my router sits right behind my tv and I have it hooked up using an ethernet cable.

BD Playback Quality: To be fair, with the current line of players from all the major brands have excellent BD playback and they all upscale dvd's well. The technology has improved and there is no bad one in the bunch in terms of video playback. Some players are faster at loading BD discs than others, with the Panasonic being on the fast side of this equation. 3D performance is also excellent, although I can't say whether that is attributable to the TV (Panasonic L37DT30) or the player or some combination of both. I can say that the player is very responsive and I have had no issues in two weeks that I have owned it. Whatever problems the player had last spring have been fully resolved by firmware updates (which come regularly).

Viera Cast: The Viera Cast suite is terrific. My tv is equipped with viera cast as well and you would think they would be the same. Surprisingly, they are not. The version used on the BD players is MUCH better. This is particularly true for the Netflix application. The Netflix application on the BDT110 provides a search feature that allows you to search the entire Netflix database. You essentially have the same access and control over content as you would on your computer. The Playback is smooth. Movies and shows, including HD content, load quickly and require little if any time for buffering. You can skip scenes and the interface works similarly to the one on the Roku XD box--excellent. It doesn't look as sexy as the interface on the Apple TV, but it is more functional. Also available is Amazon Instant, including free streaming for Amazon Prime members (like me). Excellent quality as well and you have access to the latest movies and shows. The YouTube app is also outstanding, giving you access to your subscriptions, videos is essentially a more complete than most apps you'll find on mobile devices. I haven't really used the Fox Sports App or played games on the player, but the Viera Cast system has a lot of potentially and it's quite impressive.

The Remote: The remote is well thought out, with a dedicated netflix button (NICE!). The buttons could be a bit bigger though and less crowded. This is pretty typical for BD players these days, which have definitely cheapened the quality of the remotes.

Playback of pictures and videos from an SDHC Card or USB drive: Again, a big improvement over the version on panasonic tv. The files are layed out in an easy to search manner, line by line. The player is able to crunch through all the usual formats, including: .mkv, .mov, .mp4, .avi, .xvid, mpeg-2 etc. This player does stumble a bit on high bitrate .mkv files in 1080p, but many media players have some issues with these files (some can't play them at all). Most of us will use 720p .mkv files anyway, and those are no problem at all. Photo playback in .jpg are no problem, photos are easy to search for, load quickly and look great!

Word of Caution: Please be aware that if you are buying this player to play 3d Movies and content and you do not have receiver (AVR) that is HDMI 1.4 compliant (in other words, 3D ready), you will have to run the HDMI cable directly to the tv and then run a toslink (optical cable) to the receiver for sound. This means that if you do not have a 3d ready receiver and are using this player for 3d content, you will not be able to play 3d content through the receiver. Moreover, being limited to the optical cable for the audio feed means that you will not be able to use the lossless audio formats on the disks (i.e., no Dolby TrueHd, DTS-MA etc.). This is not a big deal for my set up, but some people will surely be disappointed. Panasonic does have a solution. The BDT310, which costs around $200 on Amazon, has two HDMI outputs, one for video to the TV and one for audio to the receiver. If you have a non-3d receiver and must have 3d and hi-def audio, this is probably your best choice (or you can buy a new receiver--which will cost a lot more than the BDT310). Just some food for thought. Please also note that this is an issue with 3d playback through HDMI 1.3 receivers and is not unique to Panasonic. It effects ALL 3D BD players--so no stars are going to be deducted. If you do not care about the 3d playback and just intend to use the player as a regular BD non-3d player it will function like any other BD player and you can run the hdmi straight to the AVR as usual and get lossless sound formats--so for you people who have not yet adopted 3d technology, you can ignore this paragraph.

In short, this is an excellent choice in BD player, particularly if you don't need wifi included. If you do need wifi access, the BDT210 is the better value. With that caveat, I give the BDT110 five stars.

EDIT 6/22/11: I have been using the BDT110 for a couple of months now and I continue to enjoy the player immensely. I have only watched 15 or so BD disks and a handful of DVDS. I have had no issue at all with playback and the image and sound quality have been more than satisfactory. I am continuing to enjoy streaming apps from Netflix and Amazon, probably for more than an hour or two a day. Both apps have worked flawlessly. I have also been using the player to view home videos of my 11 week old that I shoot with Sony HX9V cameras in fully 1080p at 60fps in AVCHD format (28mbps). This profile is beyond bluray, which limited to 1080i at 60fps at 24mbps (or 1080p at 30fps or 24fps). Again, I have had no issue at all with playback. I am extremely impressed with the image processing power of this player. If I could give this line of players from Panasonic a sixth star, I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!, June 1, 2011
I tested the unit with a Panasonic VIERA TC-P54VT25 3D plasma set.

First, let's deal with some of the negative comments in other reviews.

After upgrading the firmware to version 1.63, Netflix streams with no problem.
The 3D version of Avatar, plays just fine.

I haven't seen a lot of people testing the 2D to 3D conversion, so I gave it a try. I first tried it on a DVD version of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. The opening battle scene looked great and gave the impression of depth that is not apparent in 2D. While the 3D appearance is not as "obvious" as that of a 3D disc,the feeling of depth makes the movie much more enjoyable. I then tried comparing the 2D and 3D blu ray versions of Avatar. Using the 2D version converted to 3D gave added dimension to the film, most noticeably when the background and foreground were far apart. The drop floating in the cryo unit at the beginning of the film, does not stand out as much as the true 3D version. Still, when Jake's cryo unit opens against the background of the ship's interior, the depth you perceive is quite good.

2D to 3D conversion will never be as good as what a 3D disc can achieve, but if you have a large collection of 2D action and adventure type movies, it's a great feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Becoming more pleased every day., March 14, 2011
John L. Thompson "A/V Geek" (Sykesville, MD United States) - See all my reviews
First of all, I really hate the saying 'WiFi Ready' Which says to me... it is ready for WiFi.. all you need is WiFi. Of course that isn't the case. It just means that it has a USB port and some on board drivers to help you part with $80 for the WiFi adapter. Save yourself some aggravation and check out the NETGEAR Home Theater Internet Connection Kit (Black). It is faster than WiFi and will work with your next Blu-Ray player too. Not to mention your xbox, networked TV, etc.

Anyway.... When I first hooked up the player the first thing that naturally occurs is the setup. Wow... it was grainy and horrible looking. I was worried. Of course this was hooked up to a brand new Panasonic VIERA TC-P42G25 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV, and I had not refined all of the Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint, etc... settings yet. So I put in a BD and things looked good. Not great. But good. After a couple more days of tweaking the TV I came back to do some more hands on testing of the BD and Viera Cast functions. My kids watched the Cars BD, and it looked FABULOUS! Of course that disc always looks good, even on an old broken TV. Wasn't sold. Then that evening my wife and I had rented The American on DVD. This is when I got really impressed. The DVD up-conversion was truly amazing. If I had not known better, I would have thought this was a BD. Then I resumed looking at the Viera Cast apps. I haven't looked at Netflix since that is on the Panasonic TV, but I was truly impressed with VuDu. The full 1080p and Dolby Plus 5.1 signal was great. The picture was stunning, and it starts streaming QUICK. With no artifacts that I have seen. Rental prices were a little steep, but regardless I was impressed.

Other things important to potential buyers. It loads fast. There are options to reduce startup times too. This is great, because when I use my other BD player to play a movie for my children, they have lost interest by the time the player loads the film. Another nice feature is the VieraLink. This makes it work well with at least Panasonic sets. When I turn on the player, my TV switches to the correct input automatically. Very nice. When I turn off my TV, it will automatically power down the BD player. Also very nice.

I haven't tested any 3D content on the disc player yet. So I cannot comment on that. But I imagine it will be stunning since it handles other BD content well.

Cons: This is really a con I guess, but more of a CONcern. The front fascia, is a big plastic door. I just have a feeling that one day a child will rip it off. Won't be the end of the world, but it just seems a little unneeded. But I guess if it protects the buttons from peanut butter etc.. for a while it's really a plus. We'll see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Support Closed Caption in Netflix Streaming, July 17, 2011
This DVD player support Closed Caption with Netflix Streaming. This is the only DVD player which support closed caption on Netflix Streaming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny little media controller, May 19, 2011
Personne (Rocky Mountain West) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'd been using this unit for a few days before it occurred to me that I hadn't even put a disk in it. The network capabilities were so impressive that I briefly lost track of why I thought I'd bought it. More about that in a paragraph or two.

The disk performance is quite good. I christened it with Pixar's incomparable 'Up'. Detail was exquisite and colors were rich and saturated--that's why I believe the discriminating viewer will always purchase disks for the films they like best. They simply look better than downloads. Regular DVDs are also nicely-upscaled. Performance in this regard is equal or better than Toshiba's, which I consider praiseworthy.

If you have a fast internet connection (I use a wireless access point to connect to my 12-20 MBPS line), this becomes an entirely different kind of unit. You can quickly connect to Amazon's streaming service, many of whose programs are free with Amazon Prime. YouTube and Netflix are also there, along with several other film and informational services. Performance depends on your network speed, and perhaps on the server load. I can usually--but not always--connect to Amazon. Video and audio quality aren't bad (this is a function of the service and not of the BDT-110). Buffering appears to be nearly nonexistent. You'll quickly learn to avoid rewind and fast-forward. The user-interface falls down a little as well. The normal motion control buttons (pause, play, etc) have no effect on streaming video. You'll have to scout around to find how that works.

Panasonic also claims this device can play videos from shared disks and USB drives. This is where the product isn't quite finished [Please see the review update].

I should point out that this tiny little unit is also speedy. Loading a BluRay is also considerably faster than earlier generations of player. You may have noticed that I haven't said a word about 3D. My television is a 2D television, and I'm perfectly happy not to have to wear goggles to see movies that probably wouldn't interest me. Other reviewers will certainly comment on that aspect of the box. But even in my meager 2D world, I'm quite happy with this player.

Followup: It's been several months since I filed this review, and it's time for an update. After much back-and-forth, Panasonic finally fixed the issue with Handbrake encoding. It can now play H.264 encoded videos from either a thumb drive or a network drive. There are still considerable instabilities in the network code. Whether hardware or software, there's insufficient buffering to deal with actual network traffic. The result is occasional stuttering or hanging. I've testing my own network and my 5GHz wireless easily provides 20Mbit/sec rates. This is considerably more than I need, but the BDT-110 still has its difficulties.

The User Interface becomes wearisome after a time as well. It can be charitably described as 'just barely adequate'. Obviously designed by engineers with zero input from usability experts, it requires twice the number of button pushes it should.

My original rating was four stars and I'm going to keep it there. It's a nice player at a reasonable price. Once should not expect it to function as the center of a large heterogenous media network.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great player this is!!!, July 15, 2011
I love this player. I got this to mainly stream Netflix and add a Blu-ray player. Hook up was a breeze and was as simple as plugging in a HDMI and Ethernet cable. I turned it on and the on screen setup was very easy to follow and it detected my home network right away using the ethernet port. The picture quality is amazing, this is not my first Blu-ray player but just seeing it in action was a thing of beauty. Load up time for the Dark Night seemed to be faster than it is on my PS3 and the picture quality was flawless.

I tried out the online things right away and was in awe of Netflix and how good it looks. The menu for netflix is great and very easy to use, it is the same interface as another LG TV i have and i was playing a movie in minutes of hooking this up. The video playback is great, I was playing back an episode of Torchwood in 1080I and it played smooth as silk. The remote has a NETFLIX button so it's as easy as pressing it to get to netflix.

I also tried a HD movie on Amazon Prime playback as i saw it as a option and i was in awe. The video quality was amazing as well. I would go as far as to say the picture looked a tad better than it did with netflix, but i did not stream the same show so it may have been the video itself.

I do not have a 3D TV so i was unable to try that out, thou i will be sending in for my free 3D Avatar Blu-ray.

For the price this Blu-ray player was worth every penny. Great online features, great picture quality and a easy to use menu system make this 5 stars for me. If you want a great player for your money then this is it.

*********my setup 50in Samsung plasma TV and 20MB comcast high speed internet**********

5.0 out of 5 stars Condensed Review of a Fantastic Player, November 26, 2011
I'll keep this short to avoid elaborating on things that have already been said. I now present to you my condensed review:
Pros:
1. ~$100 range Full HD 3D blu-ray player with updatable firmware and a robust internet suite for streaming (semi-future proof)
2. It really does boot up fast (about .5 second when the stand-by mode is on) and load fast (always less than 30 seconds for any Blu-ray I've thrown at it)
3. Syncs up very well with Viera Link
4. Small form factor actually can fit right under your TV when on a stand (on the ST30 series for me)
5. The Avatar Blu-Ray rebate takes only two months from when you mail it in to when it gets to your door. Very happy with that bonus.
5. There are no frills: no "touchless sensor", no wi-fi built in (you'll want to use ethernet for a faster connection anyway), its design doesn't make a fashion statement.

Cons:
1. It isn't free.
2. No, seriously, I can't think of a single thing wrong with this player.
3. Maybe...it doesn't cook me breakfast?

Bottom line, purchase if you are wanting a quality Blu-Ray player with all the features you need for the next few years of Blu-Ray, and none of the features you don't (I'm looking at you "Digital Tube Sound" on the DMP-BDT210, not even the Panasonic reps knew what that feature does). I regret nothing about my purchase, and I recommend this to any and everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent unit, would recommend, March 30, 2011
David L. (Palm Beach Gardens, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent product with good fit and finish. It is physically shallower than the DVD player it is replacing (Pioneer DV-563A). The package does not include an HDMI cable so be sure to purchase one if you plan to use that connection.

Without any customization at all, the DLNA function was able to stream video and music from my Windows 7 PC on my wired home network. Netflix streaming support is superb. This unit also includes access to VuduHD, CinemaNow and Amazon Prime. You'll get a $5.99 credit to use with VuduHD for providing an email address. Youtube streaming functions well but has a somewhat awkward interface.

The remote control is small but sturdy. My DirecTV remote had an available code for Panasonic DVD players which allows me to control most functions of this Blu Ray player with the flick of a switch.

And it plays Blu Ray discs like it should. Nothing to really report here. But I've heard that any Blu Ray player that doesn't completely frustrate you on playback is a huge success. I haven't tried DVD playback and so I cannot comment on upscaling quality.

The player can receive/apply future firmware updates right from the Internet. I applied an available update right out of the box and the process was quick and flawless.

I am completely satisfied with this product and will be recommending it to anyone who asks for my input. I don't think you can find a better price/performance/feature set.

2.0 out of 5 stars Netflix streaming broken, DLNA client very spotty, March 26, 2011
Amazon Customer (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
------- Update 4/10/2011 ----------------

After I re-flashed the firmware and found that it did nothing for the problems I was having, I called Panasonic tech support and after about 40 min on the phone going through various humiliating questions that doubted my technical skills, I was told that level 3 support would call me within "72" business hours.

It's been a week and instead of waiting for their call for much longer, I am returning this unit and will be more careful about Panasonic blu rays in the future.

----Original review: --------------------
I have had this for about a week and this is a great unit by its intent. However two major flaws make me give it 2 stars.

First, with the latest firmware (Feb 24, 2011 V1.47) Netflix streaming does not work. My account gets connected, I get
get the user menu with search and all the title information but all the titles I tried for several days now end up with a message "We are having trouble playing this title right now. Select a different title or try again later".
The Netflix interface is pretty clunky compared to other streaming units that I have (Nintendo Wii and an LG BluRay player)

The second no less important, is that DLNA client that connects to my home network does not recognize the DLNA servers about 90% of the time. I have to reconnect to the network from the Network setup menu for the DLNA servers to get recognized by this unit. I think the firmware is seriously flawed on this.

My Amazon VOD account works flawlessly but the interface is clunky as well.

The other "Net" features are working OK (I tried Picasa and You Tube but not Pandora or Vudu).

So I am still deciding if I want to wait for Panasonic to get their firmware right or return this unit and forget about Amazon VOD streaming (the main reason for my buying this unit was that it combined Netflix and Amazon VOD. Great idea if it worked...)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for media streaming or playing media on USB drive, November 27, 2011
I bought this primarily for media streaming from my home network because it supports DLNA. I was hoping that I had found a BD player to replace my other blu-ray player (Samsung C6800) because C6800 can't play .m2ts file from external USB drive, but I was wrong after I tested it. I have a Buffalo Linkstation NAS with Twonky media server (DNLA compliant server) which I use to stream all my media to this BDT110 player. I observed the following when it plays video file from my network media server (I use hardwired network):
-It doesn't play video files encoded with VC-1 (there are alot of blu-ray movies encoded in this format). H.264 format files are ok. (my Samsung BD-C6800 has no problem of playing VC-1 encoded video files)
-It doesn't play DTS audio track in the video file. (C6800 plays ok)
-For high bit-rate video files (video from blu-ray rip), it stutters quite often. (c6800 has no problem)
-For video files that are not in 16:9 aspect ratio, it would stretch the image to fill up the TV screen regardless of any settings in the PlayerSetting. This leads to distorted image. (c6800 has no such problem)
For playing video files from external USB drive, I also observed the following:
-It only supports USB drive in FAT,FAT16,FAT32 format. It doesn't support NTFS format. This would limit video file size to 4GB. (c6800 supports NTFS)
-It doesn't play .m2ts(blu-ray format) file from USB drive (streaming .m2ts file is ok). (c6800 has the same behavior)
It seems to me that this player has the same streaming behavior as Sony's PS3 which I also was trying to replace.
Another thing I don't like is that this player doesn't have Component out.
This thing will go back and my search for a better player continue..