Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

on December 20, 2011
I bought this model at Costco today to replace my Panasonic DMP-BD605 Blu-ray player. I was replacing the not so old one because even after a firmware update, it would not play some of the latest Blu-rays coming out. Thanks to an excellent no additional charge extended warranty program Costco has for people that buy the item with their Costco Amex card, I was able to return the DMP-BD605 as a broken unit since I had had it for a few months shy of 2 years.

I am completely happy with this new model. Unlike the old one, it can connect to my home network wirelessly. It also includes numerous apps such as Pandora, Netflix, etc. for additional content via the Internet. Also, it plays Bridesmaids and Fair Game which the old player could not even after the firmware upgrade. It even came with a coupon so I can get a free Avatar Blu-ray by mail.

By the way, this model is the same as the Panasonic DMP-BDT210. The only difference is the Panasonic DMP-BDT215 is sold in a few box stores such as Costco while the other is sold every place else. Apparently, they do this to make price comparisons more difficult.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2011
I just bought a 2nd Panasonic DMP-BD215 for my house. The only difference between the 210 and 215 is that the Panasonic DMP-BDT215 comes with a HDMI cable. The Panasonic DMP-BDT210 does not. I have the 215's. Many online stores also carry the Panasonic DMP-BDT215 including Amazon. The best price I have found so far is at Costco, $119.95. The only deficiency I have found is the only USB port is behind the front panel and if you use it for media then you will always have the front panel open! I am still getting used to the software/menu layout. Not as comfortable as others I have used. If you want the Skype to work you must buy the Panasonic TY-CC10W Web camera. The lowest price I have found is $125.95 if you can find it in stock... I haven't yet and most other listings are around $200 to $300 plus. Ouch!

I have yet to have any problems with the wifi in the bedroom player and I use a hardwire connection on the living room player. Be aware that that I have read that some people are having problems with the Panasonic's Blu ray players reception on wifi.
More info here: [...]

Per CNET "It has the fastest disc-loading speeds we've seen on a player so far, coming in a good deal faster than its competitors."
For a great CNET review got to: [...]
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2011
I was looking for a wifi blu ray. I picked this up at a good price, maybe $10-20 more or less than alternate models, but the serious reviewers all talked about how good the picture and sound was with the panasonic, and I agree.

Great crisp picture in full HD. watched star wars ep III from this panasonic blu ray player on a 37in JVC full HD tv, and the picture and sound were fantastic. as good as they could be. I am a big movie buff and picture and sound quality are important to me.
Came with an hdmi cable.
Comes with a ton of internet apps, and a netflicks button on the remote. 10 minutes later we were registered and streaming a netflicks movie. Nice. the set up suggested i upgrade my router. but my netgear wireless router is great, and is streaming just fine.
energy star, with a set up that warns you that if you opt for "fast start" it will use a little more power when in standby.
3d, if you like pointy-pointy gimics and have the 3d tv.

with the one i got, a free Avatar blu ray in 3d.

Only 1 hdmi port. no component.
3d. well not a con, but i don't need it, and it does nothing for cinema. I'd gladly pay $30 less and not have the 3d features. I d NOT want to encourage Hollywood to think 3d is a success because i bought a 3d blu ray player.

to consider:
slim and wide. wider then my other units, but a lot slimmer.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
Definite agreement with reviewers here and of the basically identical Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Integrated-Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player in terms of ease of use and features. Picked one up from Costco and everything is great *except* that my primary reason for buying the unit was for Hulu+ (as a replacement for TimeWarner cable tv) and this unit cannot reliably keep a smooth stream. Rarely works perfect for a whole show. Much of the time it goes for a while then starts to stutter for seconds at a time (even when picture is reduced from HD to SD). All too frequently it starts stuttering soon out of the gate. Strangely, the commercials all play *flawlessly*. Even when there isn't a stutter the voice and picture are usually just enough out of sync to be disconcerting. Amazon InstantVideo doesn't stutter, but does usually have the same voice/picture mismatch. Have not tried Netflix (no account). My wireless network speed is reliable > 5Mbps, and laptop and iPad play Hulu+ without problems. Even using a *wired* connection as a test the stuttering occurred every once in a while (again, never during the ads), making me very suspicious there is something defective somewhere in the system (player, cable, ???). Still searching the web for ideas, next step is to return the unit and hope for better luck with the next one.

UPDATE 1/5/2012: I returned the unit to Costco and got a new one (same model). I also found a bottleneck in my network (old hub coming from downstairs) which increased my wireless from 5-6MBps to 10+ MBps. Unfortunately the stuttering problems remains, even in SD quality mode which should only require a 1MBps connection. Something is very wrong, though it seems (in reading the DMP-BDT210 reviews) only affects a small group of people for a still unknown reason. Going to take one more crack talking to Panasonic support before trying another brand.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2012
I am replacing a Sony Blu-Ray (BDP-BX57) that I purchased from Costco nearly 2 years ago. I paid a premium for the Sony with the anticipation that I would purchase a 3D capable TV in the future. Although the Sony purported to be 3D-ready, when I finally purchased my 3D TV a couple of weeks ago, along with a 3D Blu-Ray movie disc, the Sony was unable to play the disc and threw an error message. After a long, arduous, frustrating and fruitless bout with Sony support, I went to Costco and purchased the Panasonic DMP-BDT215P.

First of all the Panasonic had no problem with the 3D Blu-ray movie and with our new Samsung TV and the Panasonic player, we had a delightful 3D experience. I can only say "Wow!" it is more than I expected from a TV 3D experience.

Secondly, I had a concern when purchasing the Panasonic about whether its "Viera Cast" Wifi network capability would offer Amazon Instant Video (particularly Amazon Prime Movies/TV). The Sony BD player had that capability, but our new Samsung "SmartTV" does not offer it. I was very pleased to learn (although it is not listed on the box) that Amazon Instant Video/Prime is available through the new Panasonic Blu-Ray player. Not only that, but the Amazon video streams better through the Panasonic than it did with the Sony and the videos look almost 3D on the new TV. This is using our very slow DSL internet connection and a 7 year old modem.

In fact all the streaming thus far with the Panasonic is better than other streaming experiences we have had with other devices. I must confess to being an Apple fan and, along with iPhones, iPad and Macs, we have an Apple TV. That was an unfortunate waste of money. Apple will tell you (as they did on a support call with me after our purchase) that you have to have a very high speed connection to make use of their video downloads, including YouTube videos. It is not worth waiting for several hours to download a movie or 5-6 (or more) times the time of a video's length. It's surprising to me that Apple would not like to rent more movies and accommodate people with slower connections. With Amazon videos, I have no problem.

Finally, all the setup for the Panasonic was very easy, intuitive and quick. The interface is better than most other interfaces of this type that I have experienced. The icing on the cake is that with the purchase of the Panasonic player you get a coupon for a free 3D Blu-ray edition of Avatar which I much look forward to. In fact, that was probably what influenced my decision to try the Panasonic in the first place over other similarly featured players.

All in all, I am a very happy camper.
on January 28, 2012
The blu-ray playback and loading times are fine. But, like so many other owners experienced, my unit was not able to stream content (e.g. netflix) without flickering, interruptions, lost connections etc. Panasonic support was very reluctant to help. They had not heard of that problem before (yeah, right, it's just all over the user forums..), and sent a 'standard reply' answer suggesting that my wireless network or internet connection were the problem. That seemed odd, given that my wireless network is using brand-new and very fast equipment (e.g. Linksys E4200V2 routers) with strong signal (even the Panasonic player showed excellent signal strenth) and my 20 Mbps internet connections is reliable. Following the support's suggestion, I hardwired the player directly to the router, and continue to have the streaming problems. At that point, Panasonic support stopped replying to my emails. On the phone, the support rep (sounded like far away, India?) claimed they cannot see case numbers from the US in the database, and I should start explaining the problem again yada yada yada ...
Returned the unit.
on July 24, 2012
I have 2 of these, purchased 8 months ago. Both worked perfectly until today. Today both machines forced a firmware update. They had been warning of a more recent firmware version for a couple weeks and I had 50 failed attempts at downloading the firmware; today it became mandatory and all network access was blocked - but the firmware still got clogged mid-download. I went online and after several hours I was able to see the problem. The file is 93megs and there must be 1 server that it sits one. With high speed internet downloading the file onto my computer I was successful only ofter my 3rd try. After that it took me several hours of burning the file to disk and updating each machine manually (with poor directions that referenced Windows XP). This product is generally good as shipped (I would have given 5 stars before today) but is rendered terrible over time by poor technical support!!!
on December 24, 2011
Just bought this at Costco for $120.00 and after four days of use I am somewhat satisfied. Plays blu-ray DVDs quickly and well. Connects to my wireless router flawlessly. Pretty good streaming from Netflix and Hulu in HD but loads vids from Vudu slowly and can't keep up with the stream. I have a pretty good wireless router but the Panasonic player shows medium level connectivity. Seems like its wireless device is not quite fast enough. Haven't tried 3D yet since I don't have a 3D TV. Better than the Vizio blu-ray player I returned for this one. Stay away from all Vizio blu-ray players. They're junk.
on January 31, 2012
I bought this player last week from Costco, to use with my new Curtis 42" 3D 1080p LCD HDTV from Amazon. As a 3D Blu-Ray player and Internet media device, it's great. For example, it can play YouTube 3D videos (using the side-by-side technique, which my TV automatically interprets as 3D). The player has its own 2D-to-3D conversion, which you can compare against your 3D TV's own such conversion (if indeed you "believe" in applying automatic 2D-to-3D conversion at all).

The player has an SD card slot and a USB port, but it is extremely picky about what file formats it will play. The SD card slot is mostly just for JPEGs. The USB port can handle 3D photos (.MPO), but only with great effort can it be coaxed to play any videos at all. My phone is an HTC Evo 3D, which takes 3D videos (using the side-by-side technique) with H.264 coding and .MP4 file format. I was able to convert such 3D videos into a format acceptable to the player's USB port via a program called Any Video Converter (the free version). This program outputs the .MKV file format required by the Panasonic. I had earlier tried two other similar programs without success, so the player must be extremely picky about the precise .MKV format it accepts.

Yesterday, I was told that a better, safer tool to convert Evo 3D videos for use with the Panasonic player is mkvmerge, a component of MKVToolnix. It avoids any recoding at all--it merely places the existing video and audio into an .mkv container. This worked very well for me.

2D videos from a consumer camcorder (with MP4 coding and format) do not play on the Panasonic. They have to be recoded by a tool like Handbrake, which can take as much as 2 hours to convert 20 seconds of video. Utterly impractical.

The player advertises the ability to play DivX and MKV files on a USB stick. In fact, the player's online manual claims DivX certification. However, I ran the DivX Plus Converter on some MP4 files from my phone camcorder, and the Panasonic refused to play them. In another place, the manual says that DivX capability is only enabled on units sold in Canada.
on January 26, 2012
I bought a DMP-BDT215 blu-ray player because it was guaranteed skype compatible (with the panasonic camera). The panasonic camera is no longer available, but you told me to get the Freetalk 7181 because it's the same camera and guaranteed to work. I bought it, but it does not work. Your 'tech support' said "It's a known issue" and told me to call back to get my case # 29311982 escalated. I called back, twice, and got hung up on once and just randomly sent to some voicemail (message was "I'm not home, so please leave a message"?????). Your website still advertises these players are skype certified, when in fact they are not. I have ascertained that prior to a firmware upgrade these players did work with this camera, but since the upgrade they do not. When are you going to stop this false advertising and actually support your products?

Panasonic online tech support chat says "It's a known issue" and urged me to call back to get case # 29311982 escalated.

Panasonic telephone tech support (finally) said they will escalate but the reason it doesn't work is the camera is a "bad batch". Really, WTF?

freetalk 'support' says they only want me to reply to tell them the camera works. It does not work. So, does this mean I should just go away now or what? WTF?

So, how do I get skype on my tv?