1,532 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars This WiFi Blu ray Player ROCKS!! Its the best of its class!
Published on March 29, 2012 by BITTRON2

1.0 out of 5 stars Good, then firmware update made wifi unusable
Published on June 19, 2012 by Mark R

5.0 out of 5 stars This WiFi Blu ray Player ROCKS!! Its the best of its class!, March 29, 2012
BITTRON2 (--- U. S. A. !! -----) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player (Electronics)
Before I purchased this Panasonic DMP-BDT220 WiFi Blu-Ray DVD Player, I had researched virtually every player available on the market. There's a lot to pick from, but I wanted to find the player that had the best all-around features, and a great price that would fit my budget. And after looking at a dozen or so different players, I concluded that this Panasonic player was the best pick in its price range. Other players, have various other options, a varied amount of output connections, and may specify on-board memory configurations, etc. While this player does not specify the memory amount, it appears to be sufficient enough to load streaming media (such as Netflix, Amazon Video or Hulu Plus and play it back without any hesitation or pauses.

After receiving the player, I hooked it up, and it worked perfectly right from the start. Found my WiFi network without any problems. I entered the security password information and it was connected to my WiFi network and my Internet connection in seconds. Even configured itself with connecting to my other devices and PCs on my network also without any problems. I did not have to enter any network address configurations or anything except for the router/network access password. I was able to instantly see the pictures and videos on my shared PCs on my home network.

I use this for my Netflix streaming and it works great with no problems at all. And there is no lag time between the apps selection under the Internet portion of the player, but that might be because I'm using this on a fairly high-speed 10/2 broadband connection.

I've also used several of the other Internet apps on the player, and they all worked great as well.

The Pros of this player is that it worked perfectly right out of the box, and it was a snap to setup, connect to the Internet through my WiFi network, and very easy to tell it to automatically download and update the firmware. This can also be done by downloading the firmware file from a computer and putting it on a CD-ROM or a flash drive, and then inserting that into the player, and the player will then see it, and automatically update the firmware.

The only Cons of this player, if one at all, would be that it lacks a second HDMI or Component HD connection on the back of the player, but for me, that wasn't a problem, as I connected this player, using the HDMI connection, directly to my HDTV. It does offer also an optical digital audio out connection, which I have connected to my Sony 7.1 Home Theater System, and it works perfectly. Blu-Ray movies look and sound GREAT!!

ALL IN ALL, I think this is a terrific WiFi Player from Panasonic and I think anyone would be very satisfied with this player. I know I am. And doing a lot of research before I purchased this did help in picking a very good player. I think it's the best WiFi Blu-Ray player in its price category.

One last suggestion though, is to purchase a color calibration DVD, which is available on Amazon, to calibrate or re-calibrate your TV using the Blu-ray Player. This will assure you that your television is set correctly, for not only color, but also for hue, brightness and contrast as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, March 10, 2012
Bought the DMP-BDT220 to replace a DMP-BDT110 that Amazon agreed to take back after the return period had already ended. That player was terrible. From day one it suffered from constant audio and video dropouts when watching both discs and Netflix streaming. I decided to let it ride hoping an eventual firmware upgrade would cure the problem but that didn't work. So I read that Panasonic had just released their 2012 lineup of Bluray players and I decided I would give them one more chance. I own many Panasonic products and most of them are top notch so I was hoping the DMP-BDT110 was just an anomaly.

The 220 arrived today and I quickly connected it using only an HDMI cable and the power cable since it is wifi capable. It connected with no problem to my network and after entering my password, Netflix worked fine - no video problems, no audio problems. Time will tell if that continues. Popped in a Bluray disc to check that out and watched for a few hours and once again - no video problems, no audio problems. Things are looking good.

I can't speak whatsoever on the 3D aspect of the player because I don't have a 3D TV. I bought the 220 just to get the Viera Connect feature which includes Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Streaming. In 2D, picture quality and audio is great for both discs and streaming.

The remote is fine but I use a Harmony remote so it will probably just be put away.

The only negative things I have to say about the 220 is I find the menu system to be a bit clunky and when you get into the Viera Connect menu button pushes become a little laggy. If every net connected device worked like Roku, the world would be a better place.

So in conclusion, I'm pretty pleased with the 220. I got rid of a cable on the back, in the brief time that I used it the dropouts seem to have been corrected and the picture and sound are great.

Last, I would like to thank Amazon for taking the 110 back because it was legitimately beyond the return period. That's why I like Amazon, that's why I am an Amazon Prime member and that's why I will continue to spend money with them.

Update - May 19, 2012: After two months of working fine, I put the Chronicle blu ray in tonight and the player wouldn't play the disc. It kept defaulting back to the Panasonic home screen like it didn't have a disc in. I unplugged the player for a minute and plugged it back in. The disc was recognized but then when the movie started, the audio began dropping out every 5-10 seconds. We took the disc upstairs and it played flawlessly on an older LG blu ray player. After the movie ended, I took the disc back downstairs to try and diagnose the problem. On a whim I turned off the BD Live feature and the disc played fine during the portion that was dropping out previously. Maybe just a fluke but that's still not functioning properly. I'm going to monitor but if it starts doing it again, I am returning the BDT220 and then I am done with Panasonic blu ray players.

Update - June 2nd, 2012: The BD Live off wasn't the fix. Did some more research and it sounds more and more like it is an HDMI handshake issue involving copyright protection on discs.

I ordered a set of the latest version HDMI cables and if this doesn't work, I am going to get a Sony BDP-S390.

Update - July 15th, 2012: Didn't get around to using a new HDMI cable but I haven't had any problems since the Chronicle blu ray disc.

Update - June 5th, 2013: Pleased to say that after several firmware updates, it is playing nice with everything EXCEPT The Trailer Park Boys box set.

5.0 out of 5 stars EUREKA!!! It Works With NetFlix!!!, June 29, 2012
OK, I won't bore you by repeating what's already been said here 250 times. Yes it is a great player and affordable BUT it doesn't work well with NetFlix.

Until now. The NetFlix problem is not inside the BDT220. It is in Netflix.

Specifically your "Manage Video Quality" settings. By default it is not set to anything. Go to Netflix.com, log into your account, and click on the link in the upper right called Your Account & Help. Scroll down to the "Watching Instantly On Your TV or Computer" section and click on the link for Manage Video Quality.

Choose one of Good, Better, or Best (probably you will notice NONE of these options are selected - that is the problem).

Note - it took about two days for the new setting to kick in. So be patient.

No more Netflix timeouts!!!!

Good luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good, then firmware update made wifi unusable, June 19, 2012
I got a new Blu-ray player since my Sony player never really did Netflix very well. So I did the usual looking through reviews I selected a Panasonic. One of the reasons I selected Panasonic is that my TV is also Panasonic and I was hopeful that I can use the TV remote to control the player with the Viera-link HDMI controls. (My player is out of the line of sight in the closet). Initially I was very happy the Panasonic. The streaming functions worked very well: connected quickly and very few interruptions. Then it did a firmware update. The player struggles to connect to the network. It will sometimes connect if I go through all of the setup menus and configure the network again. If it can even connect to the network, Netflix is miserable to use.
As I write this, the player will connect to the network but can't connect to Netflix and then the player freezes up. I have to turn it off, which takes a good 2-3 minutes of "Please Wait" before it actually turns off. This experience reminds me of a Samsung BD player I had a couples years back. It did a firmware update and it wouldn't play DVD's from certain movie studios. It took them months to get it fixed. Don't manufacturers know that there is a ton of competition for electronics and that it is really easy to get pissed and never buy their products again? I won't be buying a Samsung anytime soon. I don't want to write off Panasonic just yet. Fix your firmware!! While I have to soapbox out, Why can't BD players figure out this streaming thing? Netflix works everytime on the Wii and my iphone and my laptop and my Kindle Fire, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, just be aware of no component video output, March 20, 2012
LowRider2112 (Sammamish, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Before I purchased this player, I already owned two other Panasonic Blu-ray players. They are outstanding value and performance.

I bought this model to replace my horrible Pioneer Elite BDP-31FD; got to be one of the worst players in the world. Crashed all the time requiring hard reset, couldn't scan and was sooooo slooooow[...]

In contrast, this Panasonic player is so fast. Just seconds to eject and it's so fast to get to just about any disc menu. Most Blu-rays I have are loaded on the disc menu in less than 30 seconds. Scanning through movies is flawless. There are so many other features it offers, which I'll let you read in the other reviews. The UI is very pleasing. Wireless and wired network connection and firmware updating was so easy (I have "g" with WPA2).

THE ONE THING I did not do my homework well enough on was determining if it had component video out (1080i) for my non-HDMI HD 1080i tv. I prefer digital audio optical out, which this player has, but I did not see in the amazon details whether or not this player had component video out. Unfortunately, I did not see the hyperlink just below the "Product Details" text that shows you this model's specs from Panasonic, which I learned after unboxing that it does not list component video out as being available. I wish amazon would have had a rear-view picture like so many other models do. So, I took a chance that it had component video because my two other Panasonic players both have component video. Sadly, I had to swap out one of my other players (65K model) for this one. JUST BE AWARE of this if you require component video.

All-in-all, an excellent player. I am sold on Panasonic blu-ray players.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon is great!!, March 27, 2012
E. Klein (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is about my new BDT220, but also about Amazon.

I purchased a BDT210 from Amazon in January 2012, and had continuing problems with dropped Amazon streaming and intermittent Netflix black screens. I read similar reviews about this problem, all of which indicated that the new BDT220 solved these problems. I contacted Amazon, recognizing I was well beyond the guaranteed return period. Amazon was willing to take back the problem player, including the return shipping cost. Twenty four hours later, I had the new BDT220 delivered from Amazon and installed. As I had hoped, there have been no dropping or black screen issues. Thank you, Amazon!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, so this is Blu-Ray, March 26, 2012
rtrski "Who, me?" (Grand Prairie, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This is my first Blu-Ray so take any "wows" with a grain of salt. Combined with a new LED-backlit LCD (Samsung UN55ES8000) as compared to an old 52" 720p DLP watching DVDs (even though it was thru an 'upscaling' DVD player) the picture quality is amazing.

Specifically selected the Panasonic because a) it was cheap, b) it had Amazon VOD as one of the app choices, while many other brands do not, c) it was a tray vs. a slot-load (lose the slot feed, or get crap in it, and it's either scratched-disk-city or dumpter...trays on the other hand can be worked with a little better in the long run in my opinion), and d) it was a full 3D capable (which I haven't really even tried yet, but wanted it). Have it hooked up in "passthru" mode through a new HDMI 1.4a capable AV Receiver to the TV.

So far, really like the auto-24p cadence detect. Pans of the Blu-Rays I've watched so far are creamy smooth, not juddery like I was used to seeing with DVDs. Don't notice any "lip sync" lag either...I think the AVR was defaulted to something like 30msec delay. My walls are only wired for 5.1 surround and of course most of the sound quality is going to be speaker and AVR dependent, but so far very happy with teh sound quality as well (probably coming out as DTS so no different than I was used to, but the new AVR might have a little better surround processing than my old one).

SHOULD take one star off for Netflix not working right out of the box with my network, while every other application on the Blu-Ray and new TV did. Had to upgrade my network router to make that work (see longer discussion on that feature in my Samsung UN55ES8000 review). I don't understand why only Netflix seems to require some sort of perfect network while the Amazon VOD app was fine with my older router, but per that other review, that's not a Panasonic-only thing. (Makes me wonder if that was also why the older Pana 210 unit got such a bum Netflix app rap as well.)

Graphical interface can be a tad laggy, especially when you first browse to the "Network Apps" page, but nothing too heinous. Disk loading is a bit frustratingly slow compared to DVD but again knew that was the cost of a constantly updated DRM-ridden 'software box'. Love how the distrbutors screw the purchasing consumers and don't even slow pirates, do they? <raspberry sound>. Wish there was a direct "Amazon" button on the remote like their is the direct "Netflix" button (or that you could set a setting in the menu to select your preferred 'direct network streaming' application to that remote button). No big deal - will be programming a universal regardless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, and historically inexpensive too!, March 11, 2012
Wow! Hooked up the 220 today to my Panny 1080p LED. Superbien. Beautiful blu ray, and clear, crisp Netflix (watched Cinema Paradiso today with clarity I've never seen before). Very, very nice. I'm mostly a simple blu ray, Netflix and Amazon Prime kind of guy and, for me, the 220 and TC-L42E3 are like a marriage made in heaven. And the 220 is so inexpensive too. Some have referred to the network apps lagging some before you actually get into them but, for me, it's the picture quality that means the most. I don't mind waiting the few seconds it might take. And, no reports so far of any black flashing with Netflix streaming. Yay! Overall, I am thoroughly impressed and delighted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy for streaming Netflix, June 8, 2012
Kate (Dedham, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
The Panasonic dmp-bdt220 I bought because of the CNET review does not stream well. It worked fine streaming Netflix for maybe a month until I hit a mandatory firmware upgrade. It sometime works for a couple of hours and sometimes for 5 minutes before the power cable must be detached. When it is rebooted it may or may not return to the proper place. I cannot recommend this. I bought it at Best Buy because of the mixed reviews and I hope they will take it back.

Update: I have had multiple firmware updates and the device just gets worse in regards to streaming Netflix. The latest upgrade worked fine for 24 hours but now has degraded to the point that I have had to re-enter my account info twice in less than 20 hours. Once after pausing and walking away to do dishes. I have been testing software and firmware for decades. Panasonic should be embarrassed to release such a low quality product and firmware upgrades that make problems worse. This is a total rip off.

The other problem is that when the player times out while playing DVDs, it will loose its place. This means if you are watching a movie and take a break to go for a walk, you must find the last known location yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Panasonic I knew is dead, June 20, 2012
So this is the 2nd Panasonic blu-ray player we have owned. For the record I have owned Panasonic products in my home for 25 years. This absolutely awesome rated blu-ray player does just what the last one did while streaming Netflix after a firmware update. It will cut out and drop Netflix then it will lose the internet. Just so you know,I have extensive PC and networking experience and have been building and maintaining custom equipment for over 30 yrs. I also have extensive repair knowledge. This is a Panasonic and firmware update issue as others have shared.

To make matters worse, Panasonic has also destroyed their technical support team. The people on the telephone are clueless and offer zero assistance. I replaced this with a Sony (I hope I don't regret this with the track record SOE has with equipment failures) and my issue is solved. Not to mention it is literally 10X faster when booting up the internet or streaming Netflix.

Sad Panasonic, sad. The only alternative to finding a top of the line blu-ray player is to spend $500.00 which I refuse to do. I don't care what the critics and CNET say, avoid this junk heap for your own good.

Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player