5.0 out of 5 stars Good improvement over the previous one
This is a much better EVF than the previous one, the Panasonic DMW-LVF1.

It's well built. Weighs 36g only. It comes with a storage bag.

Diopter adjustment is hidden beneath the viewfinder.

Published on January 10, 2012 by Parka

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a start for Panasonic.
Published 23 months ago by Daniel Miramontes

5.0 out of 5 stars Good improvement over the previous one, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMW-LVF2 External Live View Finder for DMC-GX1, DMC-LX7 Cameras (Black) (Electronics)
This is a much better EVF than the previous one, the Panasonic DMW-LVF1.

It's well built. Weighs 36g only. It comes with a storage bag.

Diopter adjustment is hidden beneath the viewfinder.

There are 1.4 million dots compared to 1.53 millions on the GH2. The resolution is high enough to see your subjects in focus comfortably. Refresh rate is pretty similar to GH2 also. Coverage is 100%.

The image quality is good. There's some highlight clipping at times but it's a non-issue if you're using it for composition. Night images still have the noise, again a very minor issue.

There's no eye sensor. The minor inconvenience comes when you want review photos you just took on the LCD, and you have to switch it from LVF to LCD. Imagine that for the many photos you take. You can, of course, review the photo directly on the LVF which is what I usually do. The bigger inconvenience comes when you need to change menu settings, which is more comfortable with your eyes off the viewfinder. That's if you change settings a lot or want to review lots of pictures at one go.

With the viewfinder, it gives a firmer hold even with one hand, compared to two hands without the viewfinder. That's a major plus for getting sharper photos due to lack of hand shake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been waiting for!, December 16, 2011
The LVF2 is what the LVF1 should have been back in 2009 for the GF1. For some reason Panasonic said it couldn't be done at the time even though rival Olympus peddled a much better EVF for their PEN cameras.

Flash forward to now, and I can finally say I'm satisfied! The LVF2 is exactly like the EVF found in the G1 and GH1 I've owned. It's got the same characteristics as the EVF in both those cameras. It is physically larger than the LVF1, and I wish Panasonic had incorporated an eye sensor like the G1 and GH1, but, the button to toggle between the LCD and LVF is in a much better location than on the LVF1.

The diopter adjustment is in a really clever location too, it won't be changed by accident while using the camera in the normal position.

March 13, 2013 Update:
The LVF2 is compatible with the Panasonic Lumix LX7. While looking for a great compact camera to replace my Canon S90, the LX5 arrived and was compatible with the LVF1. Knowing that the LVF1 was far from the quality I was used to with the G1, GH1 and later the GH2, I decided to wait and I'm glad I did. Since the LVF2 was introduced with the GX1, I figured the next LX camera would feature LVF2 compatibility and it of course did. With the LX7 you can have compact size with the added stability of using a viewfinder.

5.0 out of 5 stars works fantastic for my Leica D Lux 6, December 28, 2012
Could not find any info on how this would work for my new Leica so took a chance. Works great and half the price of the Leica EVF!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent EVF, great quality, January 4, 2012
Crisp, very detailed. Excellent product. I like the small size of the GX1 and if I am outside or want to control the camera with my glasses put on I can use this!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is indispensable, June 9, 2012
I use this almost exclusively with my GX1. The fact that it tilts 90 degrees is great for getting candid shots rather than those fake smiles that I just have to trash. And the diopter means I don't have to wear reading glasses to take pictures. The color and clarity is great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a start for Panasonic., December 30, 2012
The live viewfinder, at the end of the day does whats its suppose to, but with a little help from the user. First the viewfinders resolution Is great and its fast, but the ENORMOUS issue is that there is no sort of covering around it so you can see on a sunny day. Without using your hand to cover the light around it the viewfinder is useless, and Panasonic does not even offer and sort of rubber eye cup to block out the light. I now know that for the Olympus M4/3 cameras they do offer a cup, but it does not fit this view finder. So I ended up making my own out of an old Cannon eye-cup. I just shaved off the back and the bottom and squeezed it on, it now works perfect. But I have to say the viewfinder is an eye sore when its attached to a beautiful camera like the GX1. Another issue is that it does not clip down, the viewfinder opens up to 90 degree position from time to time when I put it in my bag.
My conclusion is that if these companies just put a bit more though into this viewfinder it could be more practical, but as of now it will do, I have changed it to my liking and I'm happy with it but I had to adapt it, it does not come this way out of the box. ( The future of compact systems are in range finder type viewfinders or in integrated live viewfinders like in the Olympus OM-D)

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who wear glasses this is God sent!, October 15, 2013
It took me a while to finally bite the bullet and order the viewfinder which arrived today.

I was hoping that this piece of kit would be useful for what it is, on the other hand the cost was almost half of what I paid for the camera itself, that is what was difficult for me to comprehend even though I read opinions of scores of people on the web.

Anyway, the parcel was waiting for me when I got home and after unpacking it installed it on the camera and switched it on. I checked it with my glasses on, not bad at all. I took my glasses off and adjusted the diopter dial underneath, all I could manage was WOW! I never expected the sort of image that I was looking at in the viewfinder, it was far superior to what I expected. It helped me see through the scene in front like never before, the LCD just did not do any justice.

I find it difficult to compose at arms length and keep the camera steady at the same time. I also wear progressive lenses (for those who may not know it is trifocals) and I always have issues with bright lights. being able to use the camera without my glasses on and at the same time never having to worry composing in bright conditions has made this gem of a camera complete in all respects.

This piece of kit will help me pick up the camera more often than not. I would not even hesitate to say this is an essential accessory for all those who buy the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7/GX1 and should be mandatory for all, over 50, with my kind of prescription glasses and have issues with bright light.

I know I got the best accessory for my camera and I would not hesitate to say it is money well spent.

LX7 now is my SLR from the film days, the way I was using it back then!

Thank you for reading!

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX7K 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.5x Intelligent zoom and 3.0-inch LCD - Black

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 16 MP Micro 4/3 Compact System Camera with 3-Inch LCD Touch Screen Body Only (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes the DMC-LX7 better than viewing through a digital single lens reflex, June 6, 2013
My last camera was a DMC-LX2. I liked the camera very much but in bright light it was hard to see the LCD to see and adjust the focus in the manual mode as well as to set and see the shutter speeds and aperature settings. I looked at DSLRs and still was not very impressed with the image brightness when viewing through the lens.

The External Live View Finder blows away the view of the DSLRs I tried. I use it with the DMC-LX7 and I'm thrilled. You can view your subjects brightly and sharply while focusing. And you can view, with ease, the changes you make to the shutter, aperature and all the other camera settings. The Finder makes the DMC-LX7 a real pleasure to use in the manual mode. The Live View Finder turns the DMC-LX7 into the most enjoyable camera I ever had. The view through the finder is like watching HD TV. I prefer the Live View Finder over the LCD by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowzers, July 8, 2014
I love this thing. Just recently added to my LX7 because I was getting tired of using the LCD screen. Maybe I am feeling nostalgic for the good old days where your only option was a viewfinder, but who knows? Truth is, I am seeking out alternative options for a walkaround camera when i travel to my usual Canon 7D with the 24-70 f/2.8. Its like carrying a small child around all day and i am just tired of it. The image quality of the LX7 is not as good, but its damn good and more than acceptable. And obviously, it adds more size to the LX7, but its still waaaay smaller than my other option. Anyway, this VF is bright and super clear and I immediately felt more comfortable framing shots within 5 minutes of putting this thing on. It took a minute to realize how much force one needs to lift the finder to take advantage of the angles, so keep that in mind. The diopter works like a charm and you can pretty much view all the info in the VF that you can see on the LCD. I suspect that this thing kills the battery a bit more quickly, so you should probably be aware of that (you might want to carry a spare if you are out all day) On the whole, highly recommended. A fantastic addition to the LX7. Well done, panasonic

5.0 out of 5 stars A completely awesome accessory for the LX series of Lumix cameras, August 11, 2014
A completely awesome accessory for the LX series of Lumix cameras... It will also fit the Leica D-Lux 6... (i) Use in bright sunlight when the sun washes out the viewfinder screen (i) Use also in low light... The 'live' part of the viewfinder provides some light amplification... almost like 'night glasses' (iii) Use when you want very precise framing of the picture (iv) This viewfinder articulates... so it is possible to take true candid shots while not even being turned in the direction of the subject (v) Use when using slow shutter speeds.... The camera is way more stable and less liable to 'camera shake' and picture blur when steadied against your face as opposed to held at arms length (vI) The quality of the view through the viewfinder is extremely good... better, in my opinion, than on screen.