Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 10, 2012
This is a much better EVF than the previous one, the Panasonic DMW-LVF1.

It's well built. Weighs 36g only. It comes with a storage bag.

Diopter adjustment is hidden beneath the viewfinder.

There are 1.4 million dots compared to 1.53 millions on the GH2. The resolution is high enough to see your subjects in focus comfortably. Refresh rate is pretty similar to GH2 also. Coverage is 100%.

The image quality is good. There's some highlight clipping at times but it's a non-issue if you're using it for composition. Night images still have the noise, again a very minor issue.

There's no eye sensor. The minor inconvenience comes when you want review photos you just took on the LCD, and you have to switch it from LVF to LCD. Imagine that for the many photos you take. You can, of course, review the photo directly on the LVF which is what I usually do. The bigger inconvenience comes when you need to change menu settings, which is more comfortable with your eyes off the viewfinder. That's if you change settings a lot or want to review lots of pictures at one go.

With the viewfinder, it gives a firmer hold even with one hand, compared to two hands without the viewfinder. That's a major plus for getting sharper photos due to lack of hand shake.
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2011
The LVF2 is what the LVF1 should have been back in 2009 for the GF1. For some reason Panasonic said it couldn't be done at the time even though rival Olympus peddled a much better EVF for their PEN cameras.

Flash forward to now, and I can finally say I'm satisfied! The LVF2 is exactly like the EVF found in the G1 and GH1 I've owned. It's got the same characteristics as the EVF in both those cameras. It is physically larger than the LVF1, and I wish Panasonic had incorporated an eye sensor like the G1 and GH1, but, the button to toggle between the LCD and LVF is in a much better location than on the LVF1.

The diopter adjustment is in a really clever location too, it won't be changed by accident while using the camera in the normal position.

March 13, 2013 Update:
The LVF2 is compatible with the Panasonic Lumix LX7. While looking for a great compact camera to replace my Canon S90, the LX5 arrived and was compatible with the LVF1. Knowing that the LVF1 was far from the quality I was used to with the G1, GH1 and later the GH2, I decided to wait and I'm glad I did. Since the LVF2 was introduced with the GX1, I figured the next LX camera would feature LVF2 compatibility and it of course did. With the LX7 you can have compact size with the added stability of using a viewfinder.
44 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
Could not find any info on how this would work for my new Leica so took a chance. Works great and half the price of the Leica EVF!
on January 4, 2012
Crisp, very detailed. Excellent product. I like the small size of the GX1 and if I am outside or want to control the camera with my glasses put on I can use this!
on October 15, 2013
It took me a while to finally bite the bullet and order the viewfinder which arrived today.

I was hoping that this piece of kit would be useful for what it is, on the other hand the cost was almost half of what I paid for the camera itself, that is what was difficult for me to comprehend even though I read opinions of scores of people on the web.

Anyway, the parcel was waiting for me when I got home and after unpacking it installed it on the camera and switched it on. I checked it with my glasses on, not bad at all. I took my glasses off and adjusted the diopter dial underneath, all I could manage was WOW! I never expected the sort of image that I was looking at in the viewfinder, it was far superior to what I expected. It helped me see through the scene in front like never before, the LCD just did not do any justice.

I find it difficult to compose at arms length and keep the camera steady at the same time. I also wear progressive lenses (for those who may not know it is trifocals) and I always have issues with bright lights. being able to use the camera without my glasses on and at the same time never having to worry composing in bright conditions has made this gem of a camera complete in all respects.

This piece of kit will help me pick up the camera more often than not. I would not even hesitate to say this is an essential accessory for all those who buy the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7/GX1 and should be mandatory for all, over 50, with my kind of prescription glasses and have issues with bright light.

I know I got the best accessory for my camera and I would not hesitate to say it is money well spent.

LX7 now is my SLR from the film days, the way I was using it back then!

Thank you for reading!

Panasonic DMW-LVF2 External Live View Finder for DMC-GX1, DMC-LX7 Cameras (Black)

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX7K 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.5x Intelligent zoom and 3.0-inch LCD - Black

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 16 MP Micro 4/3 Compact System Camera with 3-Inch LCD Touch Screen Body Only (Black)
on June 9, 2012
I use this almost exclusively with my GX1. The fact that it tilts 90 degrees is great for getting candid shots rather than those fake smiles that I just have to trash. And the diopter means I don't have to wear reading glasses to take pictures. The color and clarity is great.
on August 11, 2014
A completely awesome accessory for the LX series of Lumix cameras... It will also fit the Leica D-Lux 6... (i) Use in bright sunlight when the sun washes out the viewfinder screen (i) Use also in low light... The 'live' part of the viewfinder provides some light amplification... almost like 'night glasses' (iii) Use when you want very precise framing of the picture (iv) This viewfinder articulates... so it is possible to take true candid shots while not even being turned in the direction of the subject (v) Use when using slow shutter speeds.... The camera is way more stable and less liable to 'camera shake' and picture blur when steadied against your face as opposed to held at arms length (vI) The quality of the view through the viewfinder is extremely good... better, in my opinion, than on screen.
VINE VOICEon April 3, 2014
Mirrorless cameras are a marvel - to be able to pull major image quality from a small digital body is a joy, and you don't have to put up with the foibles of the Big Two's DSLRs and their large lenses. However, the only real downside to the smaller mirrorless bodies is the lack of a viewfinder. Personally, taking photos using the LCD screen just dessicates the experience for me. It doesn't feel like taking "real" photos, in some elementary way that's hard to put a finger on. Not to mention the bright daylight scenes where you can't really see what's there.

Enter the LVF-2. I bought my GX1 for a good price when stock was being liquidated, and in many ways I warmed to it immediately. Only the aforementioned lack of viewfinder held me back, but I equivocated over purchasing this add-on for a long time. $150 is a lot to pay for just the ability to compose in a viewfinder. However the praise this thing has received eventually won out, and I ordered it.

The experience is better than I thought it would be. The GX1 with LVF-2 transformed, somehow, into a unit that oozes distinction and classic photographic experience. What you get is a screen that is about as high-resolution as the LCD, but packed into a bright viewfinder. It makes ascertaining focus using legacy manual focus lenses not only possible but easy, even without magnifying the screen. Also, the extra steadiness provided by the "three points of contact" (eye, right and left hand) makes framing and obtaining steady shots much easier than when you must hold the camera away from you to see the LCD. Basically this addition pulls the camera away from a point-and-shoot user experience into the classic rangefinder camp, which is where it belongs.

There are minor quibbles which have been mentioned, such as the propensity to wash out in really bright sunlight, the extra bulk on the camera, and the fact that this is not the latest and greatest viewfinder in terms of technology. In regards to the first, it's true that you may have areas of the scene wash out, but use the histogram (since you should be doing that anyway) and you can be confident of where your exposure is actually at. The extra bulk hasn't been much of a concern to me, since the GX1 has never really been pocketable except with one of the pancake lenses, and then only just. And yes, the newest cameras, such as the GX7, or Olympus's OMD line, have better viewfinders, but this one does everything you need it to. Anything more is just gravy. If you like your GX1, get this tool, and transform it!
on February 1, 2014
I REALLY miss actual viewfinders on digital cameras. I'd gladly trade a smaller LCD screen for a viewfinder I can use to compose pics in bright light, and yet viewfinders seem to have mostly vanished from all cameras except for dSLRs. This is especially galling on an otherwise high-performance camera like my DMC LX7. For me the External Live View Finder completes this camera by giving it a viewfinder that shows exactly what will appear in the photo. AND it can be adjusted to my individual vision! I can compose in bright light, I can stabilize the camera against my cheek for low-light shots. It works really well!!!

Negatives. First, the viewfinder is expensive, which makes the camera equipped with it a surprisingly expensive unit. Still a great camera though. Second, adding the external viewfinder changes the contours of the camera just enough that it no longer fits the camera cases I already have. In fact the LX7 with the viewfinder mounted is an awkward size, kind of between case sizes. This is for my use style, which is mostly outdoor adventure sports. I haven't noticed any effect on battery life, but it wouldn't surprise me if the LCD in the viewfinder sucked a bit more battery.

None of these put me off the thing. I love it, and expect it will be permanently mounted to my LX7.
on December 30, 2012
The live viewfinder, at the end of the day does whats its suppose to, but with a little help from the user. First the viewfinders resolution Is great and its fast, but the ENORMOUS issue is that there is no sort of covering around it so you can see on a sunny day. Without using your hand to cover the light around it the viewfinder is useless, and Panasonic does not even offer and sort of rubber eye cup to block out the light. I now know that for the Olympus M4/3 cameras they do offer a cup, but it does not fit this view finder. So I ended up making my own out of an old Cannon eye-cup. I just shaved off the back and the bottom and squeezed it on, it now works perfect. But I have to say the viewfinder is an eye sore when its attached to a beautiful camera like the GX1. Another issue is that it does not clip down, the viewfinder opens up to 90 degree position from time to time when I put it in my bag.
My conclusion is that if these companies just put a bit more though into this viewfinder it could be more practical, but as of now it will do, I have changed it to my liking and I'm happy with it but I had to adapt it, it does not come this way out of the box. ( The future of compact systems are in range finder type viewfinders or in integrated live viewfinders like in the Olympus OM-D)
1111 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse