5.0 out of 5 stars Good improvement over the previous one
This is a much better EVF than the previous one, the Panasonic DMW-LVF1.

It's well built. Weighs 36g only. It comes with a storage bag.

Diopter adjustment is hidden beneath the viewfinder.

There are 1.4 million dots compared to 1.53 millions on the GH2. The resolution is high enough to see your subjects in focus comfortably. Refresh rate...
Published on January 10, 2012 by Parka

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a start for Panasonic.
The live viewfinder, at the end of the day does whats its suppose to, but with a little help from the user. First the viewfinders resolution Is great and its fast, but the ENORMOUS issue is that there is no sort of covering around it so you can see on a sunny day. Without using your hand to cover the light around it the viewfinder is useless, and Panasonic does not even...
Published 20 months ago by Daniel Miramontes

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this purchase, March 2, 2014
This review is from: Panasonic DMW-LVF2 External Live View Finder for DMC-GX1, DMC-LX7 Cameras (Black) (Electronics)
To some, this may seem like an add on that they won't use, but I've found this has helped me great deal. Being able to put your eye up to this and look through the viewfinder has made my digital photos come out a lot better (I've shot with 35mm and 6x9 film cameras). I think this is primarily due to the fact it stabilizes your camera. Holding a camera out in front of you and shooting looking at the LCD screen without having camera shake is a problem. I tested this by shooting at a slow shutter speed, and whenever I used the view finder the shot had no or minimal shake blur compared to the exact same photo shot using the LCD screen. I know some would say, "use a tripod or monopod." , but that's not always possible. In fact it really isn't practical if you're out and about to have fun, with shooting as a secondary priority. I've been to many events where I would focus (pun intended) so much on taking pictures that I missed the joy of the event.

I would say get this, if you are someone who likes to participate and "be present" when you're traveling, but you still want good quality photos to remember your fun with.

4.0 out of 5 stars The final fix!, February 1, 2014
I REALLY miss actual viewfinders on digital cameras. I'd gladly trade a smaller LCD screen for a viewfinder I can use to compose pics in bright light, and yet viewfinders seem to have mostly vanished from all cameras except for dSLRs. This is especially galling on an otherwise high-performance camera like my DMC LX7. For me the External Live View Finder completes this camera by giving it a viewfinder that shows exactly what will appear in the photo. AND it can be adjusted to my individual vision! I can compose in bright light, I can stabilize the camera against my cheek for low-light shots. It works really well!!!

Negatives. First, the viewfinder is expensive, which makes the camera equipped with it a surprisingly expensive unit. Still a great camera though. Second, adding the external viewfinder changes the contours of the camera just enough that it no longer fits the camera cases I already have. In fact the LX7 with the viewfinder mounted is an awkward size, kind of between case sizes. This is for my use style, which is mostly outdoor adventure sports. I haven't noticed any effect on battery life, but it wouldn't surprise me if the LCD in the viewfinder sucked a bit more battery.

None of these put me off the thing. I love it, and expect it will be permanently mounted to my LX7.

5.0 out of 5 stars just great, February 1, 2014
I was kind of tired looking the small back frame of my lumix to see the pic taken, now I see every detail!.best purchase ever!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for composing in bright light & low level shots, May 10, 2013
I bought the LVF2 to use on my Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1, a wonderful camera in sore need of a viewfinder.

The matte black LVF2 locks in the hot shoe and may be released by pressing a small button on the side. So a light bump or rub will not dislodge it. Although it's tiny, once mounted on the camera it sticks out considerably, mainly because the GX1 is so small! The diopter adjustment is hidden underneath and can only be adjusted when the viewfinder is tilted. A smart design that avoids inadvertent adjustment from rubbing your body or bag. The front of the LVF2 has a switch to toggle between EVF and LCD. The tilt feature is great for low level shooting but has a habit of tilting when I pull the camera from my bag. A stronger clamp or tilt lock would be welcome.

The LVF2 helps greatly with composing in bright light, a situation when the rear LCD is nearly invisible. Also, shooting at arm's length often resulted in blurry pics for me, a problem I rarely encountered using a viewfinder on a DSLR. The LVF2 allows me to steady the camera against my face, and right away I got nearly 100% sharp images. Also, the ability to tilt the LVF2 90 degrees is great, making video, low level and incognito shots a breeze.

If you mainly shoot in good light, you'll be a happy camper as the LVF2 is sharp, clear and vivid albeit. The LVF2 falls down a bit in low light with a somewhat gritty image. Also, tearing or smearing during panning can be pronounced even in good light. Of course none of the before mentioned impacts camera image quality or the usefulness of having a viewfinder for static shots.

Despite some minor disappointment with EVF display quality, I found the LVF2 a worthwhile purchase: use of the GX1 was more productive and the bottom line is I have a lot more sharp pics!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another reason I love Lumix cameras, June 15, 2013
This was the perfect addition to my Lumix Lx7. The big LCD screens on modern cameras are fine, but there are some shooting situations, like in performances, where they cast too much light. This high resolution view finder enables me to shoot without bothering others around me. And it is far better than the little EVFs found on many other cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Godsend, May 6, 2013
I have both the GX1 and LX7 (horses for courses), and would only use them indoors until now. The LVF2 dramatically improves the usefulness of these cameras especially now that we have bright sunlight here in the Northeast US.

Thanks to the ND filter function of the LX7 I can now open the lens outdoors and actually see the result.

The build quality is delightful. I was pleased that the dioptric adjustment wheel is hidden, which will protect it from accidental adjustment as I have experienced with other LVF cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful accesory for the Lumix LX7, May 4, 2014
I think this view finder is a must for the serious photographer owner of an LX7. I used to have an LX5 with the previous model of the viewfinder (it doesn't work on the LX7 and viceversa) and this one is on another category. The image is clear and with excellent definition and the fact that can be angled makes working with a tripod breeze. It is not inexpensive but the LX7 merits it, more so if you can get a used one in good condition. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars The view is excellent!, April 3, 2014
Mirrorless cameras are a marvel - to be able to pull major image quality from a small digital body is a joy, and you don't have to put up with the foibles of the Big Two's DSLRs and their large lenses. However, the only real downside to the smaller mirrorless bodies is the lack of a viewfinder. Personally, taking photos using the LCD screen just dessicates the experience for me. It doesn't feel like taking "real" photos, in some elementary way that's hard to put a finger on. Not to mention the bright daylight scenes where you can't really see what's there.

Enter the LVF-2. I bought my GX1 for a good price when stock was being liquidated, and in many ways I warmed to it immediately. Only the aforementioned lack of viewfinder held me back, but I equivocated over purchasing this add-on for a long time. $150 is a lot to pay for just the ability to compose in a viewfinder. However the praise this thing has received eventually won out, and I ordered it.

The experience is better than I thought it would be. The GX1 with LVF-2 transformed, somehow, into a unit that oozes distinction and classic photographic experience. What you get is a screen that is about as high-resolution as the LCD, but packed into a bright viewfinder. It makes ascertaining focus using legacy manual focus lenses not only possible but easy, even without magnifying the screen. Also, the extra steadiness provided by the "three points of contact" (eye, right and left hand) makes framing and obtaining steady shots much easier than when you must hold the camera away from you to see the LCD. Basically this addition pulls the camera away from a point-and-shoot user experience into the classic rangefinder camp, which is where it belongs.

There are minor quibbles which have been mentioned, such as the propensity to wash out in really bright sunlight, the extra bulk on the camera, and the fact that this is not the latest and greatest viewfinder in terms of technology. In regards to the first, it's true that you may have areas of the scene wash out, but use the histogram (since you should be doing that anyway) and you can be confident of where your exposure is actually at. The extra bulk hasn't been much of a concern to me, since the GX1 has never really been pocketable except with one of the pancake lenses, and then only just. And yes, the newest cameras, such as the GX7, or Olympus's OMD line, have better viewfinders, but this one does everything you need it to. Anything more is just gravy. If you like your GX1, get this tool, and transform it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic DMW-LVF2 External View Finder, February 7, 2014
I am too lazy to carry around the full size, do everything cameras but I get frustrated when I try to see the subject with the LCD displays in bright sunlight. This external view finder solves that problem. It works great!

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a must buy if you have an Lx7, January 17, 2014
David A. Morehead (Lockport, IL 60441) - See all my reviews
I tried taking pics with my Lx7 by just using the back screen. I lasted about a day before I knew I needed a view finder. Once I got his viewfinder I was getting much better pics. The focus was spot on and I could take pics and view my pics (through the viewfinder) in bright sunlight.

One feature I really like is the ability to turn the view finder facing up. This is great for low to the ground shots or taking candid street shots. It looks like you are viewing your pics but instead, you are taking one. :).

This is half the price of Sony's ridiculously priced view finder for their over priced RX100. The LX7 with this view finder is a much better deal than buying an RX100 with the viewfinder.

Thank you Panasonic for giving us reasonably priced cameras and view finders and still providing us with excellent quality.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›