1,046 Reviews

Published on October 29, 2009 by Values Privacy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Shave - Pathetic Battery Life
Published on October 31, 2009 by Gadget Man

4.0 out of 5 stars extremely close shave when used wet, October 29, 2009
This review is from: Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc4 Men's Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Multi-Flex Pivoting Head (Health and Beauty)
Background:
About 15 years ago I tried all kinds of electric razors (not Panasonic though). Then, the winner was Braun. It was the only shaver that I didn't have to go over a blade with afterwards. I've used every iteration of Braun (their top of the line ones) since then until their current model. (Remingtons are junk, Norelco pulled hair and never gave me a clean shave, it missed thicker hairs, there were other brands, etc). So I will basically compare the performance of this shaver to the newish (1.5 year old Braun Pulsonic self cleaning shaver which I've used exclusively until now).
A little background about me that is important for this review is that I have fast growing thick beard. I can shave more than twice a day and have a 5 o'clock shadow. And on top of that I cut myself if I used a manual razor. I have cut myself with electric razors too (I don't even know how that's possible).

So that out of the way, I can start the review.

The shave:
Wet (wet means with shaving cream, not just water): This was the best shave I've had, neck, face, and all. I was always told you can't get as close to shaving with a blade, but I can't tell the difference. I was extremely pleasantly surprised.
Dry (before taking a shower): Wasn't as close as the wet and not as comfortable but it was better than the Braun. Best dry shaver I've used.

Cleaning:
I was worried because there is an even more expensive model with the cleaning base which made me expect a long involved cleaning procedure. It doesn't! Just rinse with water and push the power button long enough for it to go to cleaning mode (repeat with foil off). It freed me from having to buy cleaning cartridges I supposed so that's a plus.

Other:
I feel guilty using it in the shower because of how much water/heat is wasted (lets say a few minutes of wasted hot water during the shave...). Also since it's a little quieter than the Braun, I can tell that it's going over an area that still needs to be shaved (hear hairs being cut). So I'd rather use it on a sink.
Instructions don't say how to make the battery last longer. Should I charge after each use? Should I keep using it until it dies? Should I maintain a 50% charge? etc.
I could not download the manual online. The website-help directed me to buy it at the parts section. I told them I wanted to see the manual before I decide if I want the razor. I want to see how to clean it etc. They were very polite and thanked me for my feedback. But I still couldn't download the manual online, I honestly would have a hard time buying anything expensive blindly without looking at the instructions.
I think even though buying an electric razor has a higher initial cost, one saves money in the long run as the cost of consumables is almost zero (as opposed to buying disposable razors).
I was pleasantly surprised the head pivots in 2 different directions so that I don't have to point it carefully at my face.

Conclusion:
I highly recommend it. It's my first Panasonic and I wish I had the chance to try Panasonics earlier.
I took 1 star off for lack of a user's manual online and lack of battery care instructions.

EDIT (Dec 2009):
Thanks for the comments, there is the a link to the product manual in the comment section.
After using it for 2 months, I still think it's the best shaver I've used. One drawback I found was that it's hard to shave sideburns precisely with it since the head is so big (trimmer isn't that great). The motor is in the head though so the size of the head is necessarily big.
Also, I agree with other reviewers about how a stand should be included. Washing it and then letting it sit on a towel is not the most elegant solution.

EDIT (June 2010):
I'm still using this shaver exclusively. I still recommend it. But I have some more notes.
-I hate the lock button (to lock the shaver head to prevent it from swiveling) It's just easier to hold the head in your hands than try to adjust it just so that the lock button can slide.
-I mostly use it dry even though i get a closer shave when wet. It's more convenient and I'm lazy.
-I use it wet when I have to go to something formal. And this is still the best shave I've gotten regardless if it's electric or manual shaver. It takes several passes though but that's ok. There is no danger of getting cut and it's cheaper than blades.

EDIT (Dec 2010):
I'm not sure I like the price fluctuations. If I had paid for it (esp MSRP), I would be extremely angry and feel ripped off. I've seen the price dip to less than a third of original asking price. This is probably because a new model is out. Sooo, it makes me wonder how much is it really worth? It makes me not want to buy the newest model Panasonic shavers anymore since obviously I'm being taken advantage of. Just price it fairly. I don't want to play games.

EDIT (Mar 2012):
Still using it with no problems. I have changed the cutter and foil as recommended in the manual. The battery is still doing well.

EDIT (Dec 2013):
Still working flawlessly. I've had to buy new cutter and foil again (once a year). Battery doing great.
The only thing I don't like is lack of cleaning base. I don't think I can just buy the base so I'm contemplating buying the slightly more expensive model that comes with the base. I'm a little lazy and don't always clean it between shaves...

4.0 out of 5 stars Best electric shaver I've ever used but still can't beat a good straight blade, December 17, 2009
TechMSS (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Length:: 3:57 Mins

Pros:

* Closest shave of any electric shaver I've ever used in my entire life.
* Large, flexible head with multiple shaving foils is flexible and shaves my cheeks as closely as a straight blade does.
* Waterproof and very convenient to use in the shower.
* Easy to clean.

Cons:

* VERY expensive!
* Still can't beat a straight blade when it comes to shaving my neck.
* Large head with multiple shaving foils makes it hard to shave precisely, which makes this a bad shaver for shaping beards and sideburns.

Conclusion:

For the price, it should do a better job with the neck. You can get a shave that's ALMOST as good from one of the Panasonic shavers that costs half as much, and you still need a good straight blade to finish the job. Because it's the best electric shaver I've ever used, I will give it four stars, but it's far more economical to get a cheaper Panasonic and a straight blade.

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETELY Smokes The Competition (Even Panasonics)!!!, September 20, 2010
I had seen comparisons between the ES-LA63-S and the Panasonic ES8243A (which I own also) and wasn't too sure that I would see a tremendous difference, but decided that since my foil/blades needed to be replaced on the ES8243A, that I would give the newest model a try. People had said that the ES-LA63-S does a better job on the jawline and neck since it has the extra degree of freedom, and boy were they RIGHT! I noticed it right away! The locking feature, brighter LCD screen, and extra 1000RPM are a nice touch, but that doesn't justify the upgrade enough for me like the extra movement does.

I have owned the Norelco Advantage, Panasonic ES8109S, Panasonic ES8243A, and now the ES-LA63-S, and never have I gotten such a close, comfortable, non-irritating shave from an electric for my sensitive skin. The rotary Norelco shaver really irritated my neck, and the other two Panasonics were certainly better than the Norelco, but I always had trouble with irritation on my neck since I had to go over the same area multiple times to get all the hairs. The ES-LA63-S puts an end to all of that! It not only hugs the neck and jawline so well, but feels somehow more gentle than its predecessors despite the increase in RPM. Shaving with the other two always took me 6 minutes or more wet or dry, but I can do a more thorough, less irritating job with the ES-LA63-S in around 2 minutes less time! I much prefer wet shaving to dry shaving also, and use Shave Secret oil because it allows me to see what I am doing in case I need to go back over a certain area and provides me with a slick protective barrier as well. I feel like the ES-LA63-S is "rolling" across my face because of the freedom of movement rather than my having to force the shaver along like it felt with the others.

So I would HIGHLY recommend this shaver even compared to its very similar looking predecessor - ES8243A - with the same looking "4" blades. It was a HUGE upgrade despite what it may seem from the pictures. WELL DONE PANASONIC - THIS IS THE KING OF ALL SHAVERS!

4.0 out of 5 stars May be the closest shave compared to Braun Series 7 and Phillips Norelco 3D, September 7, 2011
I found the three top of the line electric shavers - Braun Series 7, Panasonic es-la63, and Phillips Norelco 3D - to be so similar as to recommend any of them as excellent shavers, but each has its strengths and weaknesses. Too many reviewers are only comparing the closeness of the shave, but that's only one factor of several that may be most important. Here's my breakdown:

Closeness - Let's start with the most popular category. If all you care about is how close you can shave, then I rate the wet-shaved Panasonic and Norelco even, BUT ONLY when coupled with a shaving oil/gel combo such as Remington Alphagel Sensitive Shave Gel 5 oz. (Pack of 2) (there's a cooling menthol version as well). Another way to accomplish the same thing is by using SHAVE SECRET SHAVING OIL- THE BEST SHAVE EVER! 18.75ML topped with Edge Shave Gel, Senstive Skin, 7-Ounces Cans (Pack of 6). These provide the closest shave possible, but, of course, it's messy, takes a lot of extra time, and can be a general pain. There's no advantage in closeness to using non-oil shaving cream by itself. Going dry-shave, I may give the tiniest of edges to Panasonic over Braun and Norelco, but all three are awfully close - to each other and in quality of shave.

Speed - If you're in a hurry and want to get in and get out with a dry-shave as quickly as possible, the Norelco wins. The Panasonic is next followed by the Braun.

Comfort - I don't have sensitive skin, but the Braun wins out (unless going wet-shave with the oil/gel as described above). The Braun has three speeds so you can go slower for sensitive areas and intensive on less-sensitive places. I just leave it set on intensive all the time and have no problem. The Panasonic is next followed by the Norelco third. The wet-shaving Panasonic and Norelco are the most comfortable of all if you want to put up with the oil/gel prep and clean-up time.

Cleaning - Any auto cleaning system is easier than manual cleaning. Just pop in the shaver and press a button. That said, the Braun is the only system with alcohol in its cleaner to sanitize as well as a detergent to clean and oil to lubricate. Norelco's apparently has detergent and lubrication. From what I've been able to tell, the Panasonic solution is only a detergent. Manually, the Norelco is easiest to clean and you can duplicate the auto clean by pouring some of its Philips Norelco HQ200 Jet Clean Solution in a dish or mug and whirring the shaver in it for 30 seconds after shaving. The Panasonic and Braun can be rinsed off under a faucet. The Panasonic's special cleaning speed makes it slightly easier to manually clean than the Braun.

Maneuverability - If you have a moustache, goatee, beard, long sideburns, or whatever this is a very important category. The Braun is king here with the Norelco second and the larger-head Panasonic last.

Noise - You can hardly hear the Norelco at all. The Braun is a little buzzy and the Panasonic loudest although not irritatingly so. Still, a sleeping spouse nearby will appreciate you using the Norelco most.

Travel - The Norelco is last in this category because you'll need to bring the charging stand with you. The Norelco soft case does not hold the stand so that's a bit of a drawback. The Braun's harder case gives it top honors over the Panasonic's soft one, but the Panasonic has an on-off lock that the Braun lacks. Perhaps the Braun doesn't need it because the case is harder, and also because the Braun is the only shaver that can run while plugged in with a depleted battery. The other two require a 5-minute charge to give you a few minutes shave. A fully-charged shaver gives you about 50 minutes in each.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Shaver - Use with Olive Oil, Shaving Cream and Warm Water for the Best Experience, December 9, 2010
I just purchased the ES-LA63-S to take advantage of the $30 rebate available from Panasonic until 12/31/2010. I upgraded from an older Panasonic model, the very capable ES-8075-S with Vortex cleaning system. The ES-LA63-S model is superior to my older Panasonic, without question. The blades seem a touch more powerful, the shave a bit closer. In addition, the slight curve present in the "Arc" foil and cutting blades do seem to provide an advantage compared to the "straight" foil and blades of my older shaver. Note that the ES-LA63-S is the exact same shaver as the more expensive ES-LA93-K; the only difference between them is that the ES-LA93-K comes in black and includes a drying/cleaning/charging base station. The truth is, you don't need this station, because the shaver is ridiculously easy to clean under running warm tap water with a little liquid or bar soap, and to air dry. The shaver features a sideburn trimmer, which works fairly well, and comes with a charging cord and black travel case.

This shaver features two motors (one with horizontal oscillation; the other with vertical oscillation), a 14,000 RPM cutting speed, four foils and is made in Japan (some of Panasonic's lower-end models are made in China). The blue-backlit LCD screen tells you how much charge is remaining, how much time you've been shaving for, and when the shaver needs to be cleaned. One full charge provides about 40-45 minutes of shaving time. As with all electric shavers, I find some slight touch-up with a razor is necessary afterwards (usually on a small part of the neck), but the bottom line is that by using an electric for the bulk of the shaving, you are saving a ton of friction and irritation on your face.

My personal tips to get the most out of this model:

1) Use a shaving oil (olive oil works great) and warm water and shaving cream for the most comfortable shave. The oil helps provide extra lubrication for the cutting blades as they pass across your skin. I do believe that the use of oil and a wet shave provides for a far superior and more comfortable experience than a dry shave. This is the main advantage of the Panasonic line-up over the Braun series -- the Braun models can't be used in the shower or with water and shaving cream.
2) Lock the shaving head so that it doesn't move. I find this makes it easier to control the shaver and aim it at specific spots on one's face.
3) Clean your shaver after every shave to keep it smelling fresh and clean. This takes 45 seconds at most. Remove the foil top from the shaver and rub liquid hand soap or bar soap lather over the foil and cutting blades. Wash them clean under running warm water. Place the shaver (with foil top still removed) upside down on a paper towel or some toilet paper to "gravity" air-dry. That's it.
4) Drain the battery fully before re-charging it -- this helps to prolong the life of the rechargeable battery.

In closing, bear in mind that Panasonic's own literature states that anyone switching to electric shaving from a razor will take about 30 days to fully adjust to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Shave - Pathetic Battery Life, October 31, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Over the last 35 years I've tried various shavers including Remington, Panasonic, Braun, and Norelco. My least favorite was the Norelco which never quite worked for my face. The Brauns were my favorites and I currently own three. I've been very satisfied with the last crop of Braun that come supplied with a cleaning kit. Then I got this Panasonic through the Vine program.

The bottom line is this shaver shaves closer and more comfortably than any of the other razors I've tried. The handle is very comfortable and has some nice gadgety tricks for we electronic nerds. It displays the amount of time you've used the razor and the percentage of battery life left. I like this sort of thing...most people probably wouldn't care about it.

I've only tried the razor in dry mode...I've never had a wet/dry shaver so I haven't had a need to try it in wet mode.
There is no cleaning kit, but since the shaver can be placed directly under running water, there is no need. Frankly I prefer cleaning with water, and not having to buy cleaning solutions which are necessary with the Brauns.

I could go on ...but let's face it the only thing that counts is how fast does it charge...it's very fast; and how well does it shave...better than any razor I've ever used and I've used most brands on the market. A definite 5 Star Shaver.

==========================================================================================================================
UPDATE: Nov 29, 2009
Still like this Razor a lot. But after a month of use I think I have to take One Star Away. The Braun normally lasts one week on one charge. The Panasonic lasts only about 5 days. So the battery isn't quite as nice as on the Braun. Second, when I rad out of battery power, the shaver would not shave when I plugged it in directly. I had to let it recharge for about 10 minutes before I could shave again. Maybe there is some magic button to push to make it work off direct plug in power. But I couldn't find it.

UPDATE: October 27, 2010 The weak battery in the razor is a real negative. It will now only do 2 days of shaving before it needs to be recharged. That's unacceptable for a razor that can't shave off a cord when the battery is dead. Too bad, because it shaves very well...just not for very long. So what started off as a 5 Star rating, dropped to 4 Stars last November, and is now down to 3 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, big fan of this razor., November 19, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Background: My facial hair grows in quickly -- 5 o'clock shadow type guy, and grows a full beard in a couple weeks. I'm also pretty particular about what razors I use (and can use), sticking only to Gillette Mach 3 blades of one variety or another (tried the Schick Quattro, didn't like it). I've never had an electric razor, other than using a low-end model more than 15 years ago which never really did the job. I was sckeptical an electric razor could do the job for me.

Immediately after starting to use this product I was impressed. I get a very, very close shave with it -- comparable to a razor, and without all the effort and mess. Plus, I find this to be a big time saver for me. It takes me about 3 minutes to do the job, and it gets done in the shower which is even better in the mornings when I'm pressed for time (i.e. running late). I've used it for almost 3 weeks so far, haven't touched a razor balde since, and finding it fit into my routine more and more every day.

Big, big fan of this electric razor.

Pros:
* takes little time to charge -- about an hour or less.
* it lasts the whole week on one charge.
* it gives a very smooth shave and doesn't irritate sensitive parts of my face/neck as razor blades do.
* it is great to use in the shower
* I've been using it for almost 3 weeks so far and still haven't had to clean it (it has an indicator to you when to clean it)
* I expect cleaning it to be super easy
* the travel case is slim, and won't take up any more space in my luggage than the razor itaself does.
* pivot head / fixed head / sideburn edge
* heft and size. I have large hands, and this fits my mits well. Good solid weight too.

Cons:
* when recharging, the light is BRIGHT. I dno't leave it charging overnight b/c the light from teh bathroom is noticeable in teh bedroom. Wow.
* more on the above -- the light blinks too, which is doubly annoying
* doesn't do a great job on one part of my face, just under the jaw line. I frequently have to do this part over. Not sure if it's the razor or me. I'm going to blame the razor.
* costs a lot.
* replacement blades are going to hurt the pocket book when it comes time to get them.
* There isn't a charging station. Some people might like just having a cord. I would like to have a cord AND a charging station for the price of the razor.
* worried that if I drop it, it'll break.

On the whole, I'm very, very pleased with the product. I think it's one very impressive piece of machinery, and I would be thrilled to receive it as a gift.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing shaver - questionable reliability and customer service, October 19, 2010
Pantograph (Carlsbad, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought the ES-LA63-S in May 2010 from a local store, and the comfort and closeness of the shave far surpassed the Braun Series 7-790cc Pulsonic Shaver and numerous Norelco shavers that I had used previously. I especially liked using it wet with standard shaving cream, which provided a shave that was 99% as close as a Gillette Fusion razor. I liked it so much, I bought one from Amazon for my wife to use on her legs and she likes it much better than the Norelco unit she had before.

Unfortunately, after four months, my ES-LA63-S developed problems with the display where most of the segments were illuminated all the time, making it impossible to read the state of charge or any of the status flags. It did work OK right after charging, but after using it the next day, it was back to the mixed up display. So I called Panasonic Customer Service and got directions to completely discharge and recharge for 8 hours. (As before, it worked after charging, but returned to the scrambled display after the next use.) The agent told me if that didn't help, to return it for exchange.

So at my expense, I sent it UPS to the Panasonic Exchange Center in Texas, where it arrived on Oct 5th. Two weeks later, I received a replacement shaver: an ES8249S! I don't get how they think this is a comparable unit (lower list price, only one motor, and with the annoying charging/cleaning station). If this is comparable, why do they even bother making the ES-LA63-S? They enclosed a form letter apologizing for the substitution in order to provide the "highest quality and most timely service".

They also included a URL for their customer satisfaction survey, which, needless to say, didn't get a glowing response from me. I'll see if I hear back from them. I'm not sure if I have any recourse, other than to write reviews like this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressively Close Shave, May 16, 2010
MyBeesWax "A Music Fan" (The Heart of the Golden State) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The Panasonic ES-LA63-S Wet/Dry Shaver provides an incredibly close and comfortable shave. However, it has a few minor drawbacks. Here's some of its pros and cons:

Pros
----
- Incredibly Close and Comfortable Shave
The Panasonic shaves just about as close as traditional shaving blades. Compared to blades, this shaver definitely provides a more comfortable shave - wet or dry. There's no need for shaving foam, although you can use it if you choose.

- Wet/Dry Convenience
I usually opt for dry shaving simply because it's more convenient, but I occasionally choose to have a wet shave for the increased comfort a wet shave provides.

- Easy To Clean
You can easily clean the shaver by rinsing it under tap water while it is running. There's no need to crack it open to clean it.

- Pop-Up Trimmer
The pop-up trimmer does as good a job as a dedicated trimmer.

- Good Ergonomics
The shaver is comfortable to hold. The back of the shaver is rubberized to help improve your grip on the shaver.

Cons
----
- No Charging Dock / Cleaning Station
This model doesn't have a cleaning station like the Panasonic ES8249S Arc IV Nanotech Vortex Wet/Dry Rechargeable Shaver does. For the price, I'd expect at least a charging dock.

- Bulky Head
The shaving head is a little on the bulky side, which makes it a little unwieldy for targeting specific areas.

- Additional Points
The shaver is rather plain-looking. Besides an LCD screen with a battery indicator, there's really not much to write home about. The build quality is descent but the shaver looks a bit too plasticky. It falls short of expectations in the aesthetics department for a shaver that costs this much.

---
Despite a few shortcomings, I like the Panasonic ES-LA63-S Shaver for the incredibly close shave it provides and for the ease with which it can be cleaned.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Performance Shaver, but Too Costly, November 7, 2009
Richard Wong "Wolf" (Ewing, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Panasonic ES-LA63-S Men's Shaver is a high performance shaver, but I cannot honestly give a better rating due to the high initial cost and maintenance cost. I have used a few electric shavers in my life and am using a manual blade razor.

Pros:
This shaver is easy to clean compares to my older electric shavers: a simple rinse under running water or in the water will do. Many other electric shavers require more labor-intensive cleaning procedure. I believe the ease of cleaning is its best attribute. It is quiet for an electric shaver. It has a large head, but it is light and nimble. The shaver head can be set for free movement or locked. The performance is good for an electric shaver.

Cons:
This shaver is sold at $300, which is the advertised price when I wrote this review (hoepfully it will come down). It is better than a typical $50-$100 shaver, but not by that much. I disagree with other reviews which claim it shaves as close as a blade razor. In my experience, this is false. I ran this electric shaver through my face 5-6 times (dry or wet) and there are still hairs above the skin. Then when I ran a blade razor across, it shaved them all off. If you are hoping for an electric shaver which can cut as close as a razor, then this is not it. I don't even think this electric shaver cut much closer to the skin than typical electric shavers. The outer foil ($60) is recommended to be replaced every year and the inner blade ($20) is recommended to be replaced every two years. This is $70 maintenance cost per year, and even if you double the duration between replacements, it is still $35 per year. Potential buyers should take this long term financial commitment into account.

At the end, this shaver is marginally better than its competitors, but the initial price and upkeeping cost are high. This is not a bad electric shaver if you have the money to spare. However, you will not find dramatic differences between this electric shaver and a typical $50-100 electrical shaver.

Rate and Discover Movies