5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced my Brown 8595 after extensive testing
Published on May 1, 2012 by arecht

3.0 out of 5 stars Good razor but has issues if you shave less than every day
The product itself is of pretty high quality, the cleaning system works great (though the included cleaning product smells exactly like Gak, seriously), I love the travel lock mode, and shaving when I've shaved within the past day or two works just great.

Published 20 months ago by mjdth

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced my Brown 8595 after extensive testing, May 1, 2012
arecht (Bloomington, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic ES-LT71-S Arc3 Men's Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Flexible Pivoting Head and Automatic Cleaning System (Health and Beauty)
After the battery of my Brown 8595 started to fail after 10 years I was in the market for a new electric shaver. I wanted a washable razor, which now almost all seem to be. I tried the Philips Norelco 1150x/40 SensoTouch 2d Electric Shaver, Metallic Blue, the Panasonic ES-LA63-S Men's 4-Blade (Arc 4) Multi-Flex Dual-Motor Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Silver, the Panasonic ES-LT71-S Men's 3-Blade(Arc 3) Wet/Dry Nanotech Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Vortex Cleaning System, Silver and the Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Silver.
The Norelco had by far the roughest and least close shave for me. Maybe it works well for some beards and longer hair, but it didn't for me.
I really wanted to like the new Braun shaver. I had been very happy with my old Braun, the only downside for me being its tedious cleaning: one couldn't use water, had to use a brush or the Braun cleaning system, but their alcohol based solution evaporates rather quickly. I only used it about once every 2 weeks and closed the container again, it then would last 6 months. The new Braun can be washed with water and soap like all the other new shavers. I was disappointed though that the Braun 790 didn't seem to shave quite as close as my old Braun. Their blade and foil is one piece now, which I thought might improve the closeness of the shave, but it didn't. I liked the feel and built quality of the Braun a lot, but after I tried the Panasonic shavers, I couldn't justify anymore spending twice as much for the Braun for a less close shave.
I was immediately impressed by both Panasonic shavers I tried. The LA63 is a newer model but uses the same blades as the LT71. The blades are wider spaced in the LA63 and the foil head is deeper as it has two floating foils (to straighten hair?) in between the two foils that cover the blades. The LT71 has only one such intermediate foil. I could however not detect any difference in closeness of shave, both are excellent and better than my old and the new Braun I tried. The LT71 was cheaper, so the LT71 it was.
In retrospect I might consider buying the Panasonic ES-LT41-K Men's 3-Blade (Arc 3) Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Black/Silver and save $20. It is identical to the LT71 except it has no cleaning device. This device seems unnecessary, though. Cleaning under running water, and if necessary adding some soap, cleans the shaver to a like new condition.
The LT41 and LT71 seem to replace the Panasonic ES8103S Men's 3-Blade (Arc 3) Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Silver and Panasonic ES8109S Men's 3-Blade (Arc 3) Wet/Dry Nanotech Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Vortex Cleaning System, Silver. You might want to check out their reviews too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good razor but has issues if you shave less than every day, December 7, 2012

The problem I have is that I don't shave every day, and if I go 3 or 4 days between shaves the razor REALLY has issues and pulls on hairs a lot when shaving. With my previous electric razors I would simply use the built-in trimmer first to shorten the hairs and then switch to the main shaving mode to finish the job, which worked fine for me.

The trimmer on this razor is so poor that it really isn't an option. If your facial hair has grown to more than a couple of millimeters then the trimmer pulls your hair at the edges. Even with that, the trimmer is very ineffective at trimming any hairs, including sideburns. Also, the width of the trimmer is only about maybe 1 inch so it takes much longer to do standard trimming.

I've tried skipping the trimmer altogether, but the main shaving mode just pulls too much hair and causes too many annoying little pains.

Again, if you never go more than a day or two without shaving, or your facial hair grows slower, this is a great razor. It's just not great for me and my shaving habits.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Razor, Bad Cleaner Design, January 14, 2014
Zack M. (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Since there are so many reviews, I will focus on what I have not seen in other reviews and what I believe is the biggest design flaw in this product. The shaver is fine, and I have no problems with it. But if you're buying this unit, it's probably because you want the cleaning system, too, so be aware...

This purchase replaced an older Panasonic model where the razor was held in place by snapping into a piece that came over the top of the razor and cleaner. I never had any problems with this setup, but Panasonic decided to make it simpler, by having a system where you just drop the razor in the cleaner, the razor leans *slightly* back, and cleaning starts at the press the button. The problem with this is that without something holding the razor in place, it easily slips.

As the razor cleans itself, the cleaner activates the razors blades to shake off debris. Unfortunately, while doing this, the razor very subtly moves itself out of place from the 3 metal contacts that it uses to charge and connect to the cleaner. As it cleans, it goes through cycles of turning the blades on and off as it pumps water through, but since it loses contact, it will stop vibrating before it is supposed to and the razor doesn't get fully cleaned -- or charged!

I've "fixed" this by putting small items under the front of the cleaning system to make the razor lean back far enough so it can't shake itself out of place, but this is a ridiculous fix. I've used it for six months and there is no "breaking in" period after which this works better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product, July 29, 2012
Steve B. (Hollywood, FL, USA) - See all my reviews
This shaver is pretty great. Bottom line, close shave like Mach 3 Turbo manual shaver, make sure to use Lectric Shave product (works great), not much irritation.

UPDATED: Foam/gel shave, Lectric shave, and cleaner.

First the background, I'm coming from a Mach 3 Turbo manual shaver that I've used for the past half decade I think. The reason I made the move to electric? Sam's Club stopped carrying my wholesale refills and any other option was costing me too much per refill. I'm one of those that has to shave every 3 days because I start getting too scruffy for work, mostly due to anytime before that causing irritation of the skin.

This shaver has a pretty basic feature set in comparison to other similar Panasonic shavers around the same price point. The feature that gravitated me towards this one was the lock power button, excellent for whenever I travel. I was also looking at the Braun products but their self cleaning system is known to leak, so Panasonic it was. This device was also good because the newer 3,4,5 blade shavers were a bit too much $$ for my taste.

Onto the shave...

My first shave was with only water in order to see how it worked. Result was a close shave, took a bit of time because I was getting used to the device, major problem was irritation in the neck area as it was a problem area for a close shave (I learned pulling the skin with your free hand greatly improves after much trial and error). I notice it is as close as my old Mach 3 Turbo as long as you do a few passes over the same areas. Also notice microscopic hair buildup on your face as you pass through (like a mix of micro hairs and water), easy fix is run a bit of water on your face and the machine, it's back to shaving clean.

My next shave will be with the use of gel to see if that will make a difference. I am also considering the Lectric(sp?) shave products as something to raise the follicles will help in a closer shave.

Cleaning it is a breeze, and I now see why others note that the self cleaning system is not needed. A bit of soap, water, and it's clean, especially easy with a cleaning mode and all. But of course, I'm lazy and OCD at the same time so I plan to use the self cleaner sparingly in order to conserve the refill liquid but I will dry and charge all the time after my personal cleaning.

I will update the review as I shave and I hope this product ultimately is perfect for me, as it is my new tech toy and it provides a great use on a regular basis.

UPDATE:

So I used my Gillette Shaving Gel, HORRIBLE! First it was a huge mess as I like to glide back and forth while shaving for a second pass through. Second I couldn't see what hairs I missed in comparison to dry shave (Lectric Shave was best). Third there were clumps of hair which I didn't notice until I was at work already. The gel/foam just doesn't help and made it more cumbersome to shave, I don't recommend it.

Lectric Shave is the BEST!Williams Lectric Shave Electric Razor Pre-Shave with Soothing Green Tea Complex -- 7 oz.
It's better than a dry shave because you have a little bit of something on your face. Resulted in a closer shave, cut down shaving time due to not needing multiple pass through. I did end up cutting my neck for the first time but that's due to pressing too firmly on my main problem area (hate my neck). Only gripe is hairs stuck onto my shaver while I was trying to clean it. I had to use the cleaner for the first time because of this, but of course that's a Lectric Shave issue not Panasonic Shaver issue.

The cleaner is currently in use, it is not loud, sounds like a mix of cleaning mode and the sound of gargling. It works decently. I think it does a better job than I could manually cleaning.

For the time being I will be keeping the shaver unless some unforeseen event occurs and I return it but it would only be for a higher class Panasonic Shaver with those fancy vibrating foils, I'm looking at you ES-LA93-K, but I think I'll be just fine with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Ever Had, November 16, 2012
Works Great, Never had any problems. My skin is sensitive and I never had one break out . The best way to use it is in the shower with gel if you want the closest shave. It's as close to using a straight razor you can get. I love mine and I'm pretty sure you will too. The cleaning system is great, i don't always use the cleaning cycle but i do always use the dry cycle to get the water off the blades after every use. If you do that it will also help the life of your blades. I would run your cleaning cycle once a week. Hope it helps Good Luck

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than expected, August 2, 2012
Jersey Guy (Randolph, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
My previous electric razor was Panasonic's first 13,000 rpm, liner motor model, purchased about 10 years ago. The battery finally gave out.

Having been very pleased with that model, I decided to buy a new Panasonic, so the question was "which one." 10 years later...not all that much has changed. They've introduced self-cleaning chargers, and some models have 4 or 5 blades instead of the 3 on my old model. I decided to stay in the $100 range, so purchased this model (ES-LT71-S) which is actually very similar to my old one. Main differences compared to my previous model as far as I can tell are: the new blades have an "arc", the head flexes, and this has the self-cleaning mode (press and hold the start button), the pop-up trimmer on the new one is small and intended only for sideburns (where on my old one it was larger and also intended to be used in conjunction with the foils for certain parts of the face) and this has a self-cleaning charger option.

This shaves every bit as close and closer than my previous model...in a word: great. I shave dry and it took my skin no time to adjust to this razor since it is similar enough to my previous one. I am a "5 o'clock shadow" type of guy...I need to shave every morning for a clean look. And on my old model, I needed to use the slide-up trimmer to get some of the hairs on my neck each morning. On this one, no problem for the regular foils / blades by themselves.

I do not use the self-cleaning feature...I prefer to just clean it manually...very easy following the included instructions and literally takes about a minute. I do use the charger to then dry the razor after cleaning. The noise is similar to a lap top's fan that is blowing full force. Not a problem for me.

I decided against Panny's 4 (and even 5) blade models because of the cost, and the fact that I have read that the 4 blade model has a very annoying, bright blinking LCD that stays blinking when fully charged. This has a much simpler display (what else do you need to see except the charge level?) and once charged, the display turns off.

I can't imagine that the 4 blade model shaves closer (maybe faster?), but I am 100% satisfied with the ES-LT71-S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement of Panasonic ES8109S, October 21, 2011
zoopraxis (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I got this shaver at Best Buy. I've been using Panasonic ES8109S Vortex Wet/Dry Shaver with Nano Technology and HydraClean System and lost it during business trip. I went to Best Buy and found this unit -- looks like ES8109S, 3-blade, arc foil, Linear motor, cleaning charger, exactly same, but this one has on-off switch lock that is a great feature for frequent travelor like myself. I like this shaver using in shower. This is just another great shaver from Panasonic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Razor, January 24, 2012
This is a great razor. I love it. It will hold a charge for several weeks and has a lock for traveling to prevent any accidental battery drain. The washing station is a very nice feature. The razor works great when dry shaving in a hurry and cuts perfectly when used in the shower. I am very impressed. Purchasing on Amazon saved me $60 over the cost for this item at Best Buy. I am very pleased with this razor and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with First Foil Razor, November 7, 2012
After using Norelco shavers for 30 years, I purchased a Panasonic Foil Shaver. Part of my reasoning was a protest against the high cost of replacement blades for the Norelco shavers. In addition, I had the Norelco that used Nivea lubricating cream and when I went to order a new supply of this, the cost was $60+ for a box of three. No way I was going to pay that price so now I am using the Panasonic. I was immediately impressed with the ease of operation and the closeness of the shave. It took no time to adust to a new shaving head. It was quicker and closer than my old razor. I was initially disappointed with how loud the new shaver sounded but again, it was an easy adjustment. I highly recommend this product to anyone looking to replace their old Norelco. I have not purchased new foil blades yet but I am sure they will not be more expensive than what I was paying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Replaced my Braun, September 25, 2012
I like this shaver better than my Braun because the cartridges last longer and in between cleanings you can clean it under tap water and then use the drying mechanism. This is better. However, the trimmer with these are lame. Not as powerful as a Braun. So one less star.

Rate and Discover Movies