5.0 out of 5 stars Closer shave than braun

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but didn't last very long
Published on March 22, 2006 by D. Ellisgreen

5.0 out of 5 stars Closer shave than braun, November 18, 2005
Racks (Calif, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic ES8077S Vortex Hydraclean System Electric Shaver (Health and Beauty)
This is my second panasonic linear, just used for a couple days. I have also had 2 Braun self-cleaning shavers in the past, including the latest Activator 8595. Haven't used the cleaning system for my new vortex yet, sorry, can't report on how well it cleans, but hey, must be better and more convenient than me cleaning it manually (which was a pain for my first panasonic in that my stubble gunk would get caked onto the blades and wouldn't easily rinse off). I think the Vortex is the answer to my prayers. Both my panasonics shaved closer and operated more quietly and was less irritating on my skin than either Braun models. The reason I went back to Braun and bought the Activator after my first Panasonic was that it was just so much more convenient to clean for my lazy self. Now there doesn't appear to be any need for a tradeoff, can have your cake and eat it too--quality shave and practical convenience.

I was very disappointed at the seemingly bogus claims of the Braun Activator's new patterned slots at improving shave closeness and cutting down on shave time over the previous models of Braun. In contrast, this new pansonic vortex seems to be an improvement over even my older panasonic in that it has a triple blade system. The old panasonic and brauns have two blades on either side of a central comb that i suppose guides and preps the hair. on the vortex, that center comb also has a blade to cut long/stray hairs, and so far doesn't seem to be just a gimmick, i feel a difference. furthermore, the panasonic is a wet/dry system while braun is strictly dry. i use panasonic only dry and am already satisfied, but the unit is supposed to be watertight and panasonic invites you to try using the shaver with shaving foam for an even closer shave, not even an option with the braun. dry panasonic shave for me is already closer and faster than dry braun, nice to know if need be for special occasion, important interview or date, can try using the panasonic wet for supposedly an even closer shave.

the panasonics do a better job of hugging the contours of your face than the brauns as the head pivots in more directions. quieter motor, higher frequency hum than braun, which has a loud and harsh noise that had not improved at all with the new Activator. they are also lighter units than brauns, which i happen to like. handle is also more contoured for gripping too, braun is just a brick shape. some might say the panasonic feels cheaper/more flimsy, but i feel that the shave outcome is more important. braun has fancier packaging, the unit, the plug, the carrying case, manual, even the box (as i recall was a doozy to open). the panasonic is no nonsense but gets the job done.

the panasonic cleaning unit itself has a little larger footprint than the braun; though may be easier to pack as it can lie flat and is thinner. braun's is unwieldy bc it's round in shape so in the end might take up more suitcase room. Also, the panasonic cleaning cartridge is smaller and not alcohol-based. you do have to add tap water to the panasonic. the braun uses alcohol which evaporates over time once you pop the lid open, regardless of whether or not you use it.

Update: Have used now for 1 month. Still loving it. Can now comment on the cleaning feature. Does a very good job of cleaning =) Quite economical too! I was able to get refills from Amazon 3-pack for $8.88. I clean once every 3 days, 1 cartridge supposed to last ~ 1.5 months, but i can see stretching it even longer duration. That 3-pack i just got should last me 6 months, just buck and half per month, well worth the convenience and quality of cleansing. braun cleaner is bulky, more expensive, will run you at least $10 for a 2-pack and you can't really stretch the life too much b/c alcohol based, will evaporate over time whether you use it or not, once it's been opened. A whole 3-pack of panasonic is smaller in size than a single braun cartridge. braun's cleaner had lemony scent which is nice, panasonic has no scent, just like out of the box. does take up to 3x longer to clean than braun, but for me that has turned out to be more academic rather than practical issue. i usually run the cleaner after a shave not before i need to use. just push the button and leave; so i don't care if it takes 1 or 3 hours since i won't be coming back to use the shaver until the next day anyway. hope that helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and quick,, December 16, 2005
I have uploaded several photos of the unit, including everything it came with.

I bought this as a replacement unit for my old Braun 5550, which after a few years of use has finally died.

I have yet to try to cleaning unit, but here is a breakdown of the time it should take to clean, according to the manual:
1) Charge - Approx 1 Hour
2) Clean/Dry/Charge - Approx 3 Hours
3) Clean/Dry - Approx 3 Hours
4) Dry/Charge - Approx 2 hrs 50 mins
5) Dry - Approx 2 hrs 50 mins

For most people, the lengthy cleaning time shouldn't be much of a concern since if the battery is low, just plug it in after your shave, and it'll be clean and ready for your next shave.

The manual recommends replacing the "HydraClean" detergent cartridge every 30-40 days. They also include an alternative method to clean -- using liquid soap and water; this would be convenient when on the road, so you don't have to lug around the cleaning base!

Replacement Parts & Accessories (Retail prices & model # as indicated in insert):
1) Protective Cap (WES8044X7158): $0.62
2) Outer Foil (WES9085PC): $35.00
3) Inner Blades (WES9064PC): $21.95
4) Charging Adapter (WES8044K7658): $16.11
5) Self-Cleaning Recharger (WES8078H4218): $41.89
6) Detergent Cartridge 3-pack (WES035P): $9.99

Pros:
- The Panasonic Vortex is relatively light, and easy to hold/grip.

- Wet/Dry: One of the main features that won me over. I decided to get this unit instead of the Braun Activator because of this feature. I usually shave right after I take a shower, and my old Braun wouldn't cut cleanly until I fully dried off. First thing I did when I received this unit was to try shaving after a shower -- worked perfectly.

- Speed: For my old shaver, I had to take several passes, and yet still missed stubs here and there. With the Vortex, I was able to shave cleanly in one quick pass. I'm impressed!

- Head Pivots: The head of the shaver adjusts smoothly to the contours of my face.

- Battery life: Right out of the box, I used the shaver for a month before it finally ran out of batteries. I shave about once every other day, so seems like this could really last for those long trips!

Cons:
- After my shave, my skin got a bit irritated. However, I'm sure my skin may just need a little time to adjust. (Edit: My skin seems to have adjusted perfectly. I would now give the product a perfect 5!)
- Came with a cheap travel bag.
- The cleaning/charging unit is fairly big.

---

Some reviewers have mentioned the noise of the unit. With any electric shaver, the noise is unavoidable. I didn't find the noise too annoying, though some of you may.

5.0 out of 5 stars best shaver out there., January 28, 2006
before i get into my review of this shaver, i am compelled to give a little background of my skin type and the problems ive had with shaving. i'm a 25 yr old white guy with medium beard thickness. i have sensitive skin that is prone to bumps and ingrown hairs if i shave too close. i have tried many aftershave products and none has completely eliminated the problem. for years, ive been using the gillette mach III razor(and before that the sensor excel), but due to the sensitivity of my skin, i have been limited to shaving in the downward direction. this method has never given me a very close shave. a few months ago, i got fed up with having a 5:00 shadow at noon and decided to try an electric shaver.

i figured it would be worth it to buy the top of the line shaver. most of them have what i consider "luxury" features, such as the cleaning base unit, travel plugs, and cases. these are nice, but not very important to me. i want a razor that gives a nice shave all over (face and neck), doesn't hurt during the process, and doesn't leave my skin red and dried out when im done. i have also read some complaints of a shaver and/or the base being loud, but while some are louder than others, none are going to wake up the neighbors. when reading my review of the 3 shavers i tried, keep in mind that a shaver that has these three qualities makes me happier than one with a cool base and a travel kit.

anyway, lately Braun has been flooding the airwaves with ads for the new Braun Activator, so i figured i should give it a shot. at first, i was very happy with the Activator. it has a strong motor and when i applied it to my 2 day beard growth, it mowed right through. i did have trouble around my neck, as the Braun just wouldn't cut the rather long hairs there. i went over the area quite a few times, which left my neck red and with a couple of nicks. i ended up having to use a regular razor just to clean up the spots along my neck that it wouldn't cut. i also noticed that after a few days, it left my face chaffed. it had a nice trimmer on it and for those who care, the cleaning base was actually kind of nice and it did indeed make the shaver feel just like new after each shave, but i would have gladly sacrificed that for a better neck area shave.

so i tried Braun's chief competitor, Norelco. again, i went for the high end model, the SoftTouch. my first impression of the SoftTouch was of its rather weak motor. it just didn't feel very powerful to me, but to my surprise it shaved a teensy bit closer than the Activator and it was much more successful around my neck. after a few shaves with it, however, i noticed some problems. first, if i skipped shaving for a day, i had to use a blade because the SoftTouch just couldn't do it efficiently. i'd spend 10 minutes shaving with it and i'd still have hairs that it just hadn't cut. no good. secondly, it pulled. i don't feel i was moving it over my skin too quickly, but even after just one days growth, i felt the little blades tugging on some of the hairs. i actually started shaving slower out of fear of that very uncomfortable tug. it too seemed to have some trouble around my neck. while better than the Activator, it actually cut the hair on my neck, however it also left some nicks. the trimmer is equally weak and i had to work at it to get a nice even line on my sideburns. also, for some reason, it isn't very good at using it to get the stray whisker. sometimes, it just doesn't cut that pesky hair even though you are holding it right up to it.

so after using it for a month (they ask you to try it 21 days), i sent it back. i did not buy the one with the cleaning unit, but it wasn't hard to clean at all. and i liked how it told you when it was dirty and when it needed new blades (though, obviously i didn't have it long enough to see them in action).

lo and behold, i was perturbed by the results my little test. then i remembered that i had owned a Panasonic shaver back in high school. it was very simple by today's standards, but i never had a problem with it. so i figured i should check out what Panasonic had to offer.

i bought the ES8077S Vortex with high hopes. at $129 on amazon, it was cheaper than the other two i had already bought and returned. i have only owned it for a week now, but i already know that this is the shaver for me. so let me rave about it a little bit.

the Vortex, like the Activator, has a powerful motor. it cut through my beard without any problem and left me with a softer, smoother shave than either of the others. it shaves my face nice and smooth with absolutely no pulling. and also important, i don't feel dry and chaffed afterwards. in fact, i can apply aftershave, right after using the shaver and only experience a very minimum sting, less eventhan a regular blade. i can't say the same about the other two shavers. the Braun, in particular, really left my face burning when i applied aftershave.

around my neck area, the Vortex isn't perfect. i have a hard time getting some of the hairs, but it does a much better job than the Activator and even after going over it a few times, the Vortex doesn't nick or leave my skin raw. and if i flip up the trimmer, i can easily clean up what it misses, again with no pain or irritation. the trimmer is powerful and has no difficulty with stray hairs. it is also safe to drag it across your skin without worrying about nicks or cuts.

so the Vortex is far and away the best of the 3 shavers in my opinion and this is without even using one of its key features. the Vortex is a wet/dry shaver, whereas the Activator and SoftTouch can not be used wet. i am getting the closest, most comfortable shave with it and i haven't even used it with water yet. this means that i can get an even closer shave if i use it with gel/shaving cream.

it comes with a cleaning base, which works nicely. if i had to offer one criticism of the Vortex, i guess i'd say it is not as quiet as the SoftTouch, but with its more powerful motor, i would gladly sacrifice the quietness for a good shave and no pulling.

all in all, if you are going to spend over $100 on an electric shaver, check out the Panasonic line first. i think it blows away all the other guys, which is suprising. i hope you found this helpful. sorry for writing this much, but i wish i had a review like this when i was shopping for shavers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic ES 8077S Electric Shaver VS Braun Activator 8595, October 29, 2005
I just recently purchased the Panasonic ES 8077s and had been using the Braun Activator 8595 for about the last month. The Panasonic comes with a 30 day return policy so I have that time to compare it to the Braun. Here is what I have noticed so far:

1. The Panasonic is quite light to hold while the Braun has a much heavier feel to it. I dont know that weight conjures up better quality but the Braun feels substantial. The shape of the Panasonic is easier to hold during shaving as it is more narrow in comparison to the Brauns wider body.

2. The Panasonic has a much lighter feel as it is cutting your hair, almost like a rotary from the lightness sense. The Braun feels more that it is pulling and is more attached to your skin.

3. The Panasonic shaves slightly closer than the Braun and gets the job done quicker with less irratation to the skin. I think both shavers give a very close shave but I would give the closeness nod to the Panasonic. The Panasonic definitely allows for a faster shave which to me did result in less redness and irratated skin.

4. The Panasonic has lights that show how much of the charge is left and blink during the parts of the cleaning. The Braun has a neat display that give you the time of the last shave as well as the total number of shaves. During cleaning, it tells you how much time is left to clean as well as to charge

5. The cleaning machines are both quite good.The Panasonic takes 3 hours to clean dry and charge and the Braun takes 45 minutes plus charging and . Both machines are well made but the Braun is much quicker to get the job done. With the Panasonic, in addition to putting in the cartridge, you need to add water each time you change the cartridge. The Braun does not need water. The Braun has alcohol in its solution while the Panasonic does not. Both machines do a good job cleaning the shavers.

6. The Panasonic comes in a very cheap looking and feeling pouch. Maybe most people leave it in the cleaning machine all the time. I dont know if Panasonic makes any hard cases for their shavers but I have not been able to find them as of today. Let me know if there are any available. The Braun comes with a hard plasic case or can be left in the cleaning machine all the time.

7. I should mention that the Panasonic is a wet/dry shaver and the Braun is a dry shaver.I have not yet used the Panasonic in the wet setting as I first wanted to compare the dry shave with both of them for an apples to apples comparison. My guess is that the wet shave with the Panasonic will be even better in terms of closeness but I will report on that at a later date.

So I have the Panasonic for 30 days and my initial impression is that it gives a very close and comfortable shave. Three hours is a long time in the cleaning machine but it can be also cleaned by rinsing with water. This is a very close call between these shavers as I like both of them. The Braun so far has been very reliable, and I dont know if the Panasonics have the same quality. The Braun reeks of quality but I have to say that the shave from the Panasonic is ever closer, faster, and feels a bit more comfortable in the process. By the way, the Panasonic does a better job on the neck area. That is about the only weakness that I had found with the Braun. I definitely noticed an improvement in the smoothness on my neck after using the Panasonic. This will be a tough call as to whether I keep both of these or let one go. Certainly, the Panasonic gives a terrific shave that is close and comfortable and very fast. Its build quality seems excellent and I would highly recommend it.

I hope this helps any people thinking about each of these shavers.
(...)Have a good night. Stephen

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic ES8077S shaver, February 6, 2006
I'm not an electric shaver user. I always used blades and was always in search for the best one. The problem with my skin is that I can't shave more often than once in four days otherwise my face will become a mess. I have a very thick facial hair with hairs on my neck growing almost parallel to the skin. After reading reviews for this shaving system I decided to give it a try.

This razor exceeded my expectations. It shaves clean and very gentle. To my surprise I was done shaving in less than 4 minutes and didn't have any irritation on my neck. The angled blades of this shaver really do seem to work. Truly I didn't expect such performance from an electric shaver. Now, it won't cut as close as a blade but I'll take it as a trade off for the absence of irritation and the better shaving experience.

The cleaning base also comes very handy although I don't find myself using cleaning feature very often. I just rinse the shaver under the faucet, snap it in the base and select the drying cycle.

The design of the unit is in my opinion the best on the market of electric shavers. It feels great in the hand and the pivoting head will follow the contour of your face precisely.

Give it a try if you're looking for an electric shaver - you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacemed Panasonic 8095, December 4, 2005
TC "TC" (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this shaver to replace my Panasonic ES8095 shaver. Like some others, my ES8095 would not take a charge. The first time was in warranty, and was repaired, and then a year later (with new batteries from Amazon) it wouldn't hold a charge for more than two shaves, this time it was out of warranty.

This is my third Panasonic shaver, and each one shaves better than the previous one. I like the feel of the ES 8077, it is lighter and fits better in my hand. The Li-ion battery life is excellent. I went a week and a half, and only charged it because it was a convenient time to recharge it. The indicator was still at high.

It is too early to say if the cleaning is worthwhile. The cleaning cycle takes nearly 3 hours, and does a very good job. The cost of the cleanning cartridges seem a little high.

The other downside of this shaver is that it is no longer induction charging. You can either insert it (snaps easily) into the cleaning stand (electrical contacts at the base of the shaver) or unplug the wall transformer from the cleaning stand and plug it directly into the base of the shaver. I will be watching to see if the electrical contacts corrode over time or leak due to exposure to water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best on the market..., May 24, 2006
I have tried the Remingtons, the Brauns...etc and none compare to the Panasonic. I only wished I had read the reviews and gone with the Panasonic first. It shaves quick and without a doubt it is the closest electric shave. No skin irritation.

The 8077 cleaning system is the only one that does not use alcohol...so it doesn't evaporate like the Braun and Remington cleaning systems.

The 8077 can also be cleaned manually using soap and water. It is a wet/dry shaver so it works as well in the shower as out. You can also use shaving cream with this shaver. Absolutely amazing product.

I was initially a skeptic after reading the reviews...but I was wrong. This shaver is all the others have said and more.

On top of everything else, this Panasonic shaver is cheaper than the competitors in this space. This shaver is worth every penny and then some.

Don't waste time with the others...order the Panasonic and treat yourself to a better shave.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but didn't last very long, March 22, 2006
D. Ellisgreen (Santa Fe, New Mexico USA) - See all my reviews
Have previously shaved with a Mach III Blade, but my face is too sensitive to shave daily - generally shave every third day, and even still ended up with irritation. After years of this I decided to try an electric shaver and chose this model based on reviews and Amazon.com's "Gold" recommendation (top tier shaver!) I've had it for a week now and have been able to shave every day with no irritation! Die-hard blade shavers will tell you that there's no closer shave than a blade, and that's certainly true, but this gets pretty close. For me, being able to shave daily makes all the difference. The cleaning feature is very nice, too. Light-weight, easy to handle, and much quieter than I expected. I was nervous when I made the purchase, knowing I wouldn't be able to return it if it didn't work out, but I am very happy I took the chance.

UPDATE as of July 2010 - So this shaver gave out, totally dead, a little over three years after purchase. As consumers it seems that we are being conditioned to not expect anything to last anymore. Growing up I think my dad had the same electric razor for over a decade. Probably didn't pay $100+ for it either! I decided that rather than replacing it with another pricey Panasonic, I would try out a (relatively) cheap Norelco ($44) and so far have been happy with it. If it dies after a few years I won't feel quite as bummed. Plus I'm not going to be spending on cleaning cartridges every few months, so that's even more money saved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinitely better than the Norelco Cool Skin line, January 2, 2006
Brian Fuchs (Thousand Oaks, CA USA) - See all my reviews
As the title implies, I tried the Norelco for a few weeks. I am now returning it, after having tried the Panasonic just two times.

The Norelco (7775x) was quite wimpy. It took between 10 and 15 minutes to get a close shave - way too long for a wet shaver. The Nivea lotion packs were a joke. Completely useless and the pump didn't work reliably. Furthermore, the trimmer was not built-in.

Enter the Panasonic...

While the cleaning system is pretty much a gimmick - not totally necessary but nice to have - both the razor and the cleaning system are quite loud.

If you can handle the noise, it's worth it. The shaver does an excellent job, providing a closer shave than the Norelco in under 5 minutes. The shave was almost identical in closeness to that delievered by the Mach 3 Power (arguably the finest razor). Surprisingly, I did get a couple of nicks with the Panasonic. Maybe it was because I used hand soap instead of lather.

I am completely sold on this shaver - it is outstanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but very good, August 21, 2006
This review is in comparison with the prior generation Braun Synchro Shaver with Braun's cleaning system. I really liked the Braun but decided to give the Panasonic a try based on the reviews. After using it for some months now, here are my pros and cons:

Pros:

> The 'linear motor' of the Panasonic keeps the blade speed the same all the time, regardless of the battery charge. This was something that I did not like about the Braun. As the battery charge went down, the speed of the shaver slowed as well. This impacts the quality of the shave directly. A big plus for the Panasonic.

> The shave is closer and more 'blade-like' than the Braun. But note the cons below on the time it takes.

> The Pana does a much better job on those difficult places like the Adams apple area. Where I would wind up with stray growths with the Braun, the Pana seems to take care of them easily.

> The reason for changing in the first place was that the Braun battery was starting to fail, holding a charge for less than a week. So far, I haven't been able to get the Pana to show any battery drain even if I keep it out of the charger for a couple weeks!

Cons:

> The Braun shave-head has less drag on the face than the Pana, by far. You feel like you are dragging the Pana across your skin, even with a good preshave in use. (This is not true if you use the 'wet shave' capability of the Pana, but I prefer the dry shave overall.)

> Maybe it is the drag noted above, but it takes me longer to shave with the Pana than the Braun. But the results are better with the Pana even if I shave for the same length of time with each.

> Okay, Pana, the little felt travel bag is ridiculous! Give me a break! The Braun comes with a very nice leather pouch and, with a bit if playing around, it will contiune to serve as the carrier for the Panasonic.

> Not a major con, but I feel that the Braun cleaning system is superior. Cannot say the Pana is not doing the job - it seems to work fine - but the Braun just seems a bit better overall. (Either are better than what I didn't do before!)

Overall, as a person who really enjoyed almost 6 good years of use from my Braun, I am very happy with the new Panasonic and do not regret for a moment the switch.

Rate and Discover Movies