4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little item
Oral irrigators like this give your mouth a clean feeling, and your dentist will smile upon you as well (they do a good job of getting rid of gunk between the teeth and at the gumline that would otherwise turn into tartar).

Published on November 20, 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Oral Fixation
It seems that nobody can get these "oral irrigators" right. The Waterpik portable device is a disaster; the batteries are gone within a year. THis Panasonic model does hold a charge (so far); it certainly lasts longer than the few times that one reviewer reports.

PROs
Published on February 22, 2007 by M. Allen Greenbaum

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little item, November 20, 2003
This review is from: Panasonic EW1270AC Portable Oral Irrigator (Health and Beauty)

This unit is compact and fits together well. The motor nests into the water tank when not in use, and a quick tug is all you need to pull it out. It's easy to hold and well designed. The only flaw is that you'll need to refill the water tank during use, because it doesn't really hold enough to go over your entire mouth (it's not 20 minutes worth of water as the editorial review says above - more like 40 seconds), but this is simple - flip open a little piece of plastic and run water into the hole, then flip it closed and continue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well within limitations, March 16, 2004
Alan J. Schwartz (Santa Ynez, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Very handy unit, especially for use when traveling. Collapses into compact package. Does not run for 20 minutes as advertised (probably a typo), but the water supply will last maybe 30 seconds - enough time to rinse your teeth pretty well. (You can quickly refill the reservoir and resume cleaning with minimum delay and inconvenience.) Big tip: although unit works well with ordinary alkaline batteries (2 AA cells) invest a few dollars in rechargeable NiMH cells as used in digital cameras; they power the irrigator for a long time with top performance and can be easily recharged. I'm buying more of the irrigators for gifts; they are inexpensive and provide a useful purpose.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Oral Fixation, February 22, 2007

PROs
On the positive side, Panasonic designed this so that you can fill it horizontally--no more struggling to angle the device (as with the Waterpik) to get enough water in it. One tank lasts about 35 seconds, enough to quickly do one's mouth. However, for a more thorough job, you'll probably want to fill it twice--not a big deal. It does a fairly good job of cleaning, more on that in the next section.

CONs
Pressure, Pressure, Pressure. As others have noted here, this model does not deliver the water pressure of many of the Waterpic models--even the horrid portable Waterpic delivers more power. THerefore, after a few weeks using it, my impression is that it does not blast away particulates, etc. as well as one should reasonably expect. It gives a nice massaging feeling, and those with sensitive gums might appreciate the lower pressure, but it only does an adequate job as a flosser. Of course, you should ask your dentist! FOr the money, not bad, but the Waterpik "Ultra," though more expensive (over $50) may be the better buy in the long run (please see the many reviews for it here at Amazon.com).

For now, my recommendation is to wait until someone builds a better irrigator, especially if you don't have the space or the money to spend on the Waterpik Ultra. Reach makes a very good, very cheap flosser that's a handle with disposable flossing units that snap into it: http://www.amazon.com/Reach-Access-Flosser-Family-Refill/dp/B000GGKPRQ/sr=1-13/qid=1172205923/ref=sr_1_13/002-5549519-4589615?ie=UTF8&s=hpc. Unlike other handheld flossers, the string doesn't break in your mouth, and it's very easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well (for 6 months). 2 STARS, March 10, 2005
cmastro (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
The irrigator works quite well. It is small enough to reach to the back of the mouth; the water reserve is good for maybe 1/2 of a mouth rinse. The 20 minutes in the description refers to the battery life; one charge lasts for a couple of weeks of use (I am using rechargeable batteries).
UPDATE: seal between pick and resorvoir has worn out after 6 months of use, and water now sprays and leaks from the bottom of the pick. Downgraded to 2 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works good, but - - - -, March 9, 2006
Fred G. Roffe (Long Island, New York) - See all my reviews
My wife and I use a 110 VAC WaterPik daily. We purchased this Panasonic battery-powered device to accompany us on a recent cruise because it is smaller and more compact than the WaterPik. The unit works well, but it is not as powerful as our 110 VAC unit. It take two, or three, fillings to complete its job, but that's certainly not a real drawback. We find it very useful as a travel companion, but I wouldn't want to use it as a replacement for our more powerful WaterPik.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dental check-up Proves Worth, November 25, 2004
D. McLain (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
After using the Panasonic Oral Irrigator for 6 months, my dental check-up was great. Periodontal pockets that were detected on earlier exams were smaller. My dentist wondered what my regimen was.

This is good for your heart also as the size of these pockets has been found to be correlated with heart disease ([...] So this small electric oral irrigator is good for your heart also!

The oral irrigator is very fast and easy to use. It takes seconds to fill and minutes to use. That is important for those things you are "supposed to do daily" but never seem to have the time to do. The oral irrigator takes up very little counter space and is not a mess if you bump into it (like the larger irrigators with open reservoirs). The pressure is very good and apparently my gums are impressed!! And so is my Dentist!

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact and easy to use., December 10, 2005
Amazon Customer (Chicago area, IL) - See all my reviews
I have now been using the Panasonic EW1270AC for over three months on a daily basis and find it to be a great purchase. It is not as powerful as my AC powered reservoir tank Water-Pik, but it is far more convenient to use and does a good job. So, instead of using the AC powered once a week, I use the Panasonic every night and my gums and teeth are clearly in better condition. It is small enough to keep it near my sink without it being very intrusive, thus making it very convenient to pick up and use at any time.

I use rechargeable AA batteries so am not very concerned about battery life which appears to be about 30 uses on non-rechargeable alkaline.

The Panasonic is great for traveling, easily fitting into my toiletries case. I originally bought it for traveling, but am so pleased with it that I now use it every day.

Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for a portable, December 23, 2005
It was time for a change since my third waterpik broke (to be fair, that was over a span of several years). I intended to use it mostly as a backup when I buy another plugin irrigator, but it's been doing so well I haven't bought a replacement plugin one yet. I've been using for two months now and I would recommend it.

Pro: Very compact compared to a plug in one. No high pressure hose line to break (a major fault in waterpiks). Powerful enough. Well constructed.

Con: Need to refill at least twice and possible more for each cleaning (depending on how fast you move that nozzle around). No pressure control. Pressure varies with battery power. Refill opening cover gets lot of use - it's a snap lid.

Update Nov 2008: It keeps on going, and going... Using it everyday and on travel and haven't even thought about buying a Water-pik again. Hint: use a high capacity rechargeable (>2500man) - makes a BIG difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, convenient, portable and stores anywhere., August 1, 2006
Yes, this thing has power. Not as much as a plug-in WaterPik, but unless you also use your Oral Irrigators for hydro strip mining gold, the Panasonic will do just fine. I accidentally turned it on once and the water stream shot clear across the room! Doubles as a high-powered squirt gun in a pinch!

How long does it take to get a bulky WaterPik plugged in, assembled, filled with water, used, cleaned, disassembled and stored away again? The Panasonic takes only 10-seconds from storage to working. Refills due to the small water reservoir? Less than 5-seconds, making multiple refills a non-issue really.

Let's face it, the more time, mess and hassle we know a task will take, the less likely we are to do it. That's just human nature in the busy world we live. Fortunately the Panasonic rids you of these subconscious roadblocks in this QUIET, compact and convenient machine. Use it for travel or bring it to work for after lunch clean-ups. I doubt the WaterPik can make the same claim.

Yes, you'll need to recharge your 2 AA batteries often, but if you don't already own rechargeable batteries/recharger, then the Panasonic is a great reason to start! They get 1000 recharges per battery compared to buying hundreds of expensive alkaline batteries... you do the math!

Bottom Line: If you're a person who never flosses and isn't convinced their water irrigator is effective unless it's loud and leaves all their gums bleeding, choose a WaterPik. But judging from their reviews their quality and longevity have been suspect at best.

P.S. I have no stock in Panasonic nor do I work for them. I just really like well made, quality products that make my busy life a little simpler. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Bleeding gums!, April 2, 2005
I was told by my dentist that I was going to need surgery to stop my bleedy gums (because of an abscis or pocket?). I decided to try this product to see if I could stop the bleeding without surgery by using the jet to clean out the pocket. AFTER ONE DAY OF USE, bleeding almost went to nil. After one week, I don't see any bleeding when brushing. The clean feeling you get after using this product is great. This could possibly be the best product I have ever bought for my health. This is definitely something people should buy if they have gum problems.

Panasonic EW1270AC Portable Oral Irrigator