The included 32W bulb is nice and bright, although my wife hates the cool blue color temperature (3500K) which makes the bathroom look too much like an office or workshop. So I just ordered a Sylvania 20883 lamp which has a warmer yellow color temp (2700K).

The 32W bulb type is GX24q3 if you're looking for a replacement of a burned out bulb or to change the color temp.

The included night light is a standard incandescent bulb with the C7 (E12) base. This can be replaced with an LED bulb with the same base. A LED bulb will last much longer.

The fan comes with 3 separate pairs of wires - fan, main light, and night light. The night light would require 120V all the time to get the most use out of it (in my case I only have power when the switch is ON, so I just use it to supplement the main light). Since the wires are in separate pairs, this provides many wiring possibilities.

I love this fan, it is super quiet and the (too blue) light is nice and bright.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 27, 2010
I had Nutone fans in the two bathrooms in my house. Had to shower with the doors open or the rooms would be a sauna even with the fan on. I just replaced them with this Panasonic model. The construction of the Panasonic seems much better and the unt seems robust. After the first two showers, it is night and day. No steam at all in the bathroom and we can now shower with the doors closed. This was a definite good purchase. The Nutones will be in the garbage tonight.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2012
I purchased this unit as part of a bathroom remodel. For this bathroom remodel, I carefully selected everything and thought this was a good choice based off of Panasonics reputation, internet feedback and the product specifications. Installation was no problem since it was a full tear out type of remodel. I could see that a Retro fit could present some challenge because the unit cannot be installed from the bottom. After installation I powered the unit up. Everything worked but the light. I check the wiring; which could not be more basic (whites to whites and blacks to blacks). I even swapped the blacks and still no light. I swapped out the light and still nothing. I contacted Panasonic Customer Support indicating that I had just purchased defective unit and got the canned response that someone will contact me in 24 to 48 hours and if I needed a new ballast, one would be shipped in 7 to 10 business days. I emphasized that this was defective unit and instead of returning it to Amazon, I would fix it. But 7 -10 days was unrealistic since it was going to hold up the project. Several more calls to Panasonic and still got the same response. I contacted Amazon and they sent a new replacement unit which was received in 2 days. I will point out that, on the third day, I received the new ballast from Panasonic. However, before I received the new ballast, I installed the new unit. The installation of the 2nd unit went better than the first, as usual, and I tested the unit before installation. The light worked, but it was not very bright. I installed the unit and the light did not work. Everything else worked but now the frustration was building. Only 2 things were common with this failed installation, the installer (me) and the unit. I researched/googled this model several time and only found favorable reviews. What could I have done wrong? Well I removed the ballast from the unit. It was a modular design and encased in a plastic housing. When I revealed the ballast, I thought that I would find a replacement myself. To my surprise, when I researched the ballast (Ultrasave #B13212-F (made in China)), it had bad reviews and many problems with premature failure. Therefore, I purchased a Phillips universal ballast and installed it and everything is good. The universal ballast was much bigger than the Ultrasave so I could not return it to the original housing in the fan. However, the fan cover hides the ballast and it being loose does not seem to pose any problem with operation.

PS Thank you Amazon for your speedy support with a defective purchasePanasonic FV-11VQL5 WhisperLite 110 CFM Ceiling Mounted Fan/Light Combination, White
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Used this product to replace an existing very noisy fan/light. With someone who knows what they are doing, this is about 2 to 1-1/2 hours work. The rails that are included in the package are intended for new construction, so you may have to improvise securing it in place with a long wood screw into a joist.

This fan is an order of magnitude quieter than anything else on the market, yet it moves a large amount of air very efficiently. I no longer have any condensation of steam on my large bathroom mirror.
on October 12, 2011
We purchased the Panasonic 110cfm fan to replace a similarly sized Broan fan. The 100cfm Broan fan in our bathroom was not removing moisture from the room. I have had a repeated problem with mold and mildew appearing on the walls and ceiling of the room, especially during the hot, humid Alabama summers.

My husband is very experienced in DIY projects and had no trouble with installation.

We wired the fan to the light, and wired the nightlight to the switch that had operated the old fan. Since the old fan was so annoyingly noisy, I wasn't entirely sure I would like the fan and light connected, but as we are getting older and need to start thinking about falls and safety issues, I really wanted the night light, and we didn't want to run new wiring. As it turned out, having the fan and the light on the same switch is just fine, because the fan is so quiet.

The fan does a much more efficient job of pulling moisture out of the room than our old Broan, and I hope this will alleviate the mold issues.

I don't mind the CFL light. It is a very bright white light, but that isn't a bad thing for aging eyes. I installed an LED night light instead of the standard 4 watt included in the package. We have 9 foot ceilings and changing bulbs in any fixture is a chore, so I wanted the night light to last as long as the CFL.

I would recommend this light to my friends.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 6, 2012
I have three of these now. One for each bathroom. They are quiet and pull out all of the moisture. They are so quiet, in fact, in the larger bathroom, my wife can hardly tell when it is on. I'm a member of Amazon Prime. It shipped very fast and free!

One thing to be mindful of however, is that these take a special (expensive) light bulb. This isn't a deal-breaker, by any means. The CFL bulb number can be found on-line and it isn't as though anyone would be replacing it often anyway.
on November 28, 2011
I bought a Panasonic FV11VQL5 bath exhaust fan when we remodeled our master bath. We loved it so much we bought another for our other bathroom. It is very powerful, there is no steam on the mirrors, and best of all it is very very quiet and has a light too! I would recommend this product to everyone! If you have access to your attic and a little knowledge of electrical devices you can install this yourself. It might require some drywall patching if the size is different from your existing fan opening. We are elderly and had our contractor install it, he said it was easy.
on July 20, 2012
Through my life I have been disappointed by the venting fans in bathrooms. They have been of low effectiveness and many have been incredibly noisy. It takes something away from the bathing experience when you are on edge because of that cement mixer grinding away over your head!

In our current house, the bathrooms are all interior and have no windows, so effective venting is needed to get rid of moisture from showers. Occasional battles with mold have resulted, even when the older fans/light combo was on for hours (not very green).

The older unit finally died and a new model was in order. I choose the Panasonic FV-11VQL5 WhisperLite 110 CFM Fan/Light Combo. This unit also has a night light integrated in the unit - a feature we have in another fan unit and like a lot. I was impressed with the good reviews and info from current users. I also have had good luck with Panasonic products.

With the Fan/Light/Night Light set-up - an additional electrical wire was required to power the night light. I have electrical installation experience and was able to do this relatively easy wiring job myself. If you are unsure of your skills with electric wiring, hire a professional.

I was a little upset to see that the light bulb required was a oddly-configured CFL light fixture with a unique plug set-up. Shoot! If the standard screw-in bulb was good enough for Thomas Edison, it ought to be good enough for us as well! Anyway, I was happy to see that the 32 watt bulb is very bright, 2400 lumens, versus about 1600 lumens for a standard 23 watt CFL (100-watt incandescent equivalent) bulb. So, I guess I will learn to love this different style bulb - I like bright!

I installed the unit and was delighted to turn it on and barely hear the 1.0 sone fan. Sone's are a measure of sound from these units - 1.0 is very, very quiet.

I should mention that I was installing in a bathroom ceiling that was accessible from the attic. The unit is large and I doubt it would fit in ceiling not accessible from above. The reason for it's quiet operation is a relatively large fan assembly that turns slower than the standard squirrel cage fan to move the same amount of air. The fan is also is quite easy to turn on its low-friction bearings. It's physics!!

So the test was the first shower after installation. I had also installed a timer for the fan since people in my house apparently don't know that switches can also be turned off :) Sound familiar??

Anyway, I set the timer for 60 minutes and began my shower. The fan was barely audible and the area was very well illuminated from the bright light. The radio was easily heard over the running water (the loudest sound). After the shower, I checked the mirror - no steam there nor any moisture on walls or other fixtures - it works!

It's negative points are that it's relatively pricey, uses a special bulb, requires additional electrical wiring and is a relatively large unit. However, if you have finally had enough of noisy, ineffective bathroom fans - This is your unit. It's green, incredibly quiet and removed moisture quickly. It looks like my lifetime quest for the best shower venting system has been achieved!

***********************
Some specs from Panasonic -

Product Specifications Part Number FV-11VQL5 Size 110 CFM
Color White
Voltage 120.00
Wattage 23.4
Item Package Quantity 1
Air Flow Capacity 110 CFM
Type of Bulb Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL)
Certification energy_star
Item Dimensions -
Weight 12.6 Pounds
Length 16.73 inches
Width 14.17 inches
Height 11.50 inches
on July 8, 2013
I bought this fan because of its 3 year warranty. Six months after installation the ballast for the cfl bulb failed - a quick check on the internet revealed that this appears to be a common problem.

I contacted Panasonic and was informed that because I purchased the unit through Amazon that Amazon was who I should contact regarding warranty issues. I then contacted Amazon and received a prompt reply indicating that they would indeed warranty the unit, however my only option was to ship the entire fan back for a replacement. Out of curiosity I got a quote from a contractor to have the fan removed (the original fan was installed in new construction - before the drywall was put in) and replaced - $800 and not looking like a good option.

I contacted Panasonic again to see if there was any way I could obtain only the ballast. This time I was informed that the 3 year warranty really only covers the fan part of the unit, the electronic parts (ballast) have only a 90 day warranty. Panasonic does stock replacement ballasts, $76 for the ballast and $12 for shipping = $88 HALF THE COST OF THE COMPLETE FAN UNIT!!

I also contacted the ballast manufacturer, Ultrasave, and was informed that they do not sell direct to consumers and that I needed to contact Panasonic for replacement parts.

Bottom line:

I like the fan part of the unit.
Amazon customer service was extremely helpful, understandable that they can't stock individual parts.
Panasonic's warranty is deceptive and their replacement parts are ridiculously expensive.

My other option is to hack the wiring and install a generic 32w electronic ballast - $25 from the local lighting supplier.

Hope this helps someone.
on July 25, 2011
I purchased this fan/light to replace an older NuTone fan that was installed 14 years ago when my house was built. Since the fan is in the ceiling right under the master bedroom, anyone using it at night would wake up my wife and I in a hurry. The Panasonic blows more air and emits only one tenth of the noise. We cannot hear it at all in the master bedroom. I had a handyman pull out the Nutone and install the Panasonic in a couple of hours. I could not be happier.