Panasonic FX 500 not popular Despite very favorable expert reviews this camera is rarely spoken of on forums . Any one know why?
asked by Myrna Posner on March 9, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
I ordered this camera from Amazon yesterday.I liked the small size, manual controls , wide lens. I hope, despite its luke warm reception from forum posters that it works for me.
Myrna Posner answered on March 23, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Myrna,

Have you gotten your camera, yet? If so, what do you think of it? This would be my first digital camera, and what attracts me to this is that it has manual controls. I would be learning photography on it, so I figure I should have manual and auto controls.

I am looking to get a Panasonic because a sales person at Best Buy raved about them and said they have the best lenses. To be honest, I know practically nothing about photography, but have had an interest in it for many years. Do you think this camera would be a good plact to start, at least digitally?

Thanks,
M
Nu Mantra answered on March 29, 2009

A
Hi all,

My experience with Panasonic point&shoot digital cameras has been excellent. I have owned the Panasonic DMC-LX2 which i regret selling it after i bought a Canon 40D. I thought i would never have to use it again but i was wrong! I just ordered this FX500 last week and can't wait to get it. The advance shooting modes (Manua, Aperture, Shutter) & the HD video at 720P is what made me decide on this camera. Oh and the price as well. From my experience, shooting in automatic mode doesn't or rarely create great pictures. If some people have been ableto take great pictures then it only means that the others who didn't are not doing it right. A lot of things can contribute to soft images. I will repost again after i have received my camera and give you my thoughts.
Sean Tang answered on April 8, 2009

A
Okay M.
I got my camera last night. I took a couple of pictures on my in to work this morning. I am going to post them after I make this post.

I don't know what people are complaining about when they complain that the pictures are blurry. The pictures I took were extremely sharp. For the sample picture go the listed item. I will post more pictures by Sunday. Feel free to email me if you have any questions (superat06@gmail.com)

Sean
Sean Tang answered on April 15, 2009

A
I do not have this cameara, but have been waivering back and forth for more than a week about buying it. Perhaps my reasons for such are the same that answer your question: there are such very mixed reviews about this camera, by users of all levels. Makes it hard to decide for me.
Nu Mantra answered on March 22, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I liked my older model of the Panasonic Lumix - only thing - I dropped too many times and now it's not working and I really want to get a new camera - but am hesitant about another brand - I am hoping this is the one to get and the people that said the quality wasn't good - I'm hoping that they are wrong. If you print "zoomed" photos - they are usually not as good unless you have an SLR with a zoom lens. I figured that would be the case here.
Bernadette Sikorski answered on March 25, 2009

A
Ahhh... Maybe this is the case. There is a great site I have gone to called Trustedreviews.com. It has high ratings there, but I have to admit that test photos are not as good as the Fx35. They are not significantly worse, though. I have been reading the user responses to the professional reviews to the various cameras. On the one hand that helps, on the other... just adds to my confusion about what to actually buy! :)
Nu Mantra answered on March 29, 2009

A
I have the camera for 2 days and I am pleased with it. It has many options and is somewhat complicated to use. I would go on the forums on dprerview.com before you pick a camera
Myrna Posner answered on March 29, 2009

A
Hey Sean,

I am eager to see your new posts about your camera. Since the prices are dropping dramatically here, I will order one soon myself. On another site, someone said that one of the issues with people... not the camera is that they keep expecting it to do what a DSLR (I think that is right/ I am inexperienced here) does. What are soft images?
Nu Mantra answered on April 12, 2009

A
Hi M. Jones,
I have not receive my camera yet. It is scheduled to be delivered some time next week. I am very eager to prove everyone wrong :) and YES, the problem with some people is that they don't evaluate things for what they are and for what they are worth. You can't expect a camera that costs 5x less than a DSLR to perform the same way.
"Soft images" are pictures that are not sharp. There are usually setting on camera that lets you control the sharpest.
Since you are new to photography, check out www.cameralabs.com for a full video review of this camera. It's going to help you tremendously in understanding the features of this camera and what the pros and cons are. It is an excellent review.
I will post images and comments by next sunday if i get my camera mid week.

Sean
Sean Tang answered on April 12, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product