5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Camera!
Published on August 1, 2012 by Roy Woody

3.0 out of 5 stars Not My Cup Of Tea!
Published on July 17, 2012 by JUST-JIM

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Camera!, August 1, 2012
Roy Woody (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic HC-V500M Full HD SD Camcorder with 16GB Internal Memory (Black) (Electronics)
Yes! Finally my wife was onboard to upgrade the camera! I did a little research and being a cheapo I narrowed it down to this one. I think the only knock it got in the review I saw was filming in low light which I don't expect to do much of anyways. I really got it to record my kid's dance competitions. This camera excels IMO. I am coming from a Panasonic Mini-DV camera that was also a good camera but non-HD and I was tired of Mini-DV tapes. It's still in great condition and has held up just fine through the years. That is another reason I stuck with Panasonic. Another bonus is the included 16GB of memory and the expansion slot. The video quality is great enough for me. The Zoom with the OIS (which was reviewed highly) is a very helpful feature. I like being able to edit video right on the camera. Hooking it up to a TV with the Composite cable is convenient although I wish the screen could be turned off in play mode allowing for button only use. The Power adapter isn't in the best spot but it's not a major issue. The battery that came with it held up just fine. For the build it is solid but not heavy. I like it and would recommend it if you are looking for a decently priced camera that works great.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far works great, August 21, 2012
I want to do a more in depth review of this product and will try to keep this review as updated as possible. So far so good. I really enjoy the camera. This is my 1st totally digital video camera. Meaning my first one that doesn't store the video on some sort of tape. I have owned a video camera for about 20 years.
As far as convenience goes it is very light weight and fits in my cargo pants pockets or my wife purse. That is so handy especially since we are outdoors type of people. I just like to be able to put it in my pocket and go out hiking and when I am ready to video something it is right there.

The zoom on it is just amazing. The first day we had it took some video and pictures of the moon. I will post that picture to be viewed here. On the picture I had the zoom out and it was hand held. So when the moon was in the view finder I would snap a picture. The steady shot is amazing even that far out!!

I am giving it 4 stars as the video is recorded in a format that is tough to convert. Not trying to scare anyone off here but if you want to do video editing on your computer you will need good hardware and decent video editing software. I will work on the minimum requirements for the hardware and the software.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not My Cup Of Tea!, July 17, 2012
The camera in and of itself is well made (in Japan) and functions decently. However, the available light videos are pathetic even with additional lighting. They are soft in focus and very very grainy. Not at all acceptable. Daylight videos are great but since my need is 25% daylight and 75% available light I find that this camera for me, is unacceptable. I returned it for a refund and purchased the HC-V700MK which compared to the V500 is like night and day for my needs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Camera is great if it doesn't break, January 5, 2013
I bought this camera in June since my wife and I were having a baby and we wanted to start taking family videos.

The camera worked great for filming HD quality video of family events (parties, beach, poolside, walking through the woods, etc). I loved it and the videos looked awesome on my 50" HD TV.

However, the mechanism that opened and closed the protective shutter over the lens failed in the first week of december (a little under 6 months after purchase) and it would no longer take video. It has a 1 year warranty, so i called their service line. They said it was under warranty and i could send it in for a 2 week repair. Awesome, i should get it back just in time for my sons first xmas!

Not quite. After about a week they called to tell me that they hadn't started and that it will cost $111 for labor since their warranty only covered parts. Great, thanks for mentioning that when i called originally. So now they already had the camera and i have to pay over 1/3 of the original cost to fix it. so i did. At the time of this review my sons first xmas has passed along with a month since i first called them about the camcorder breaking. Still no camera.

I gave 2 stars because the camcorder, when it worked, was 100% satisfactory to me. But the fact that it broke after only 6 months and that i've now been charged another $100 to fix it without having it for a month makes it hard for me to recommend this or any other panasonic product. stay away. i am going to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome vedio Camera, June 15, 2012
Parth Parida "Parth" (Phoenix, Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
Guys, I can bet if you get a better vedio camera with this range. Please respond back if you find any other and lets see if I am wrong here. it has every thing. The best part is Image stabilization, high zoom 52X with IS, and the other best is Battery backup. i have tested other vedio camera-- when you do pause, play and shut down max it will go to 30 min but this one is very nice goes upto 1 hour 50 min. and i cannot comment on 1080P resolution because you cannot find difference in 1080p and i. But this has 1080p. other thing it has internal 16GB memory (there is a typo mistake in amazon 16MB) and picture quality is awesome....I love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great video and pretty good pictures, December 6, 2012
Michael Shekane (Norwood, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Bought the camera for the birth of my son and have not regretted it since. THe internal storage is great, playback and sound quality is as good if not better than those twice the price and its compact design isnt too small you forget about it. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, September 28, 2012
First of all, I went to Costco and I tried the camcorder liked it,but they did not have the one w a 16 gig integrated, so I went on amazon and I found it even lower, and the rest history, really recommend this camera great features I love it,,, this is one of the best from panasonic you will not be disappointed...

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Zoom and HD clarity, perfect for iMovie, but hard to beat iPhone for low light and photos, December 31, 2012
As the Multimedia Director for the Inland Empire Church of Christ, I primarily use the camera to film church sermons and baptisms. I am set up way in the back with a congregation of 400+ and am able to zoom in on the speaker with excellent clarity. Our YouTube channel(IEChurchofChrist)demonstrates the quality. I am able to produce and upload in 1080p.

It is ideal if you use iMovie for post-production. I've tried every configuration to get the footage into my Macbook Pro and found the most efficient method to be: 1) attach the USB cable (supplied) 2) When prompted, push RECORDER on the LCD screen. 3) Load up iMovie and let iMovie do the importing. Forget all the formatting, transferring functions the manual tells you to do. Just make sure you are using the iMovie format when recording.

I highly recommend you purchase a good High Speed SD card, as the on board memory can run out fast if you are filming longer pieces of 30-40 minutes and/or can't always get your footage off the camera frequently. With a 32GB card and the onboard memory, I usually have plenty of space. Make sure you have a way to archive your years of footage, such as an external hard drive or upload to YouTube.

Finally, I might mention that with the baptisms, I've used this camera and iPhone 4s/5s. The iPhone is far superior in low light conditions, it beats this $500 camera hands down (although the microphone is better than iPhone's). I end up using the iPhone's for up close in low light, and use this camera for distant wide shots.

This camera has many still shot functions, but when you have an iPhone in your pocket, this camera's photos are poor quality, so I don't bother with those features. Although one interesting feature is that this camera will take a still shot automatically when it detects someone is smiling, even while filming. I end up with a few prize shots on the SD card, but again, the still picture quality is not that good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Still pictures are unacceptable, January 23, 2013
No problem with video, decent even in the low light. But still shots are totally unacceptable: blurry and patchy in the daylight, and, in addition, very grainy in low light (despite the flash). I tried both automatic and manual modes with various settings, but never managed to get a still shot even remotely comparable to my 11 years old 4MP still camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product - lots of features, February 13, 2013
Love the camera, love the versatility, love the HD and 40x zoom, wish the files were converted to mac's easier.

Rate and Discover Movies