5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest wireless home phone set I've ever owned!
I purchased this at our local Sam's Club at a discount due to
noticeable carton damage. When I unpacked the set, I saw that the
entire set is packed inside a smaller box that's isolated from the
exterior carton to protect its contents. The outside looked pretty
bad, but the inside box was undamaged. If you see a dent in the
external box, unless...
Published 18 months ago by T2000KW

Buyer beware! This slick Link2Cell feature does not work with all cell phones and worse... there is NO reason to expect it will work with the new cell you may upgrade to next year!

Published 13 months ago by M. Nelson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest wireless home phone set I've ever owned!, July 6, 2013
T2000KW (Chillicothe, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TG385SK link to cell cellular convergence solution DECT 6.0 PLUS Cordless Phone with Answering System, with Message Forwarding, Noise Reduction, And Text Message Alert, 5 Handsets (Electronics)
I purchased this at our local Sam's Club at a discount due to
noticeable carton damage. When I unpacked the set, I saw that the
entire set is packed inside a smaller box that's isolated from the
exterior carton to protect its contents. The outside looked pretty
bad, but the inside box was undamaged. If you see a dent in the
external box, unless it's more than an inch deep, it won't affect the
contents. Open the box before you leave the store and you will see
what I mean.

Setup was a breeze and required no reading of the manual. Setting a
few of the features did require the manual but it wasn't very
complicated and everything was easy to understand. The manual is
well-written.

This system has features that can work with bluetooth-enabled cell
phones, but I don't have a smartphone, so I can't comment on those
features.

The phone works with my VOIP service, which is only to be expected of
any phone, but if anyone wondered if that was any different, it isn't.
It should work with Vonage or any of those services (I use Tin Can
Talk myself).

One great thing about Panasonic wireless phones is that they no longer
use proprietary batteries. Most brands of cordless phones use special
battery packs that cost a lot more than the individual AAA cells wold
cost you for this set. They use standard, rechargeable NiMH batteries
that you can buy in big box stores or through online auction sites
(buy name brand or you might be disappointed, though). The set
comes with a pair of AAA batteries for each handset, 10 AAA batteries
in all.

Three belt clips are included, so if you think you're missing two of
them, you aren't. I doubt that you'll even use the clips, but if you
think they would be useful, install them on the three handsets most
likely to be grabbed and hooked onto your belt.

This system has a battery backup for the base unit as long as there is
a charged handset docked into it. If you have "regular" telephone
service and the power goes out, you can still make phone calls, and if
you're in the middle of a phone conversation, it won't be interrupted.
That's great, but if you don't have a conventional telephone line, you
will also need to have your phone modem or ATA device (for VOIP
service, as I have) plugged into a battery backup. Mine is, so if the
power goes out, my cable modem, router, and VOIP ATA device are all
powered by the UPS (uninterruptible power supply) with its internal
battery backup. The amount of time you have for your backup depends on
the backup time and power output of your UPS device.

You can call any of the five handsets from any of the other handsets.
This could be very useful if you have a sick person or an invalid in
the house.

The range of this set is much farther than I have ever seen in a
cordless phone system. I didn't test it to its limits, but it reaches
about 75-90 feet behind my house, so it will cover my entire city lot
without needing the range extender.

There is a range extender available, if you need it, for about $30
from the Panasonic web site.

This system uses the security of the DECT 6.0 protocol, using:

- Frequency Division Multiple Access
- 10 channel dynamic switching
- Time Division Multiple Access over 24 time slots
- Time Division Duplex
- Authentication between base unit and handsets
- Encryption using DECT Standard Cypher (DSC) - 64 Bit Encryption

This protocol is secure enough that you should be able to have nearly
zero chance of anyone being able to eavesdrop on your phone
conversations. However, it is TECHNICALLY possible to break the
encryption and other schemes in the DECT 6.0 protocol. It's been done,
but it's not something that your typical neighbor or even most
criminals would be able to pull off, so you can feel assured that your
conversations are secure.

As for the brand, I have never been disappointed in a Panasonic
product. I have kicked myself several times for not buying a Panasonic
this or that when I had another brand product stop working.

If you buy this model and register it online, you have the option of
adding an extended warranty for a reasonable price. I have such faith
in Panasonic products that the one-year warranty period is plenty for
me. The warranties are offered through Square Trade and are based on
the price you paid for your product. I have purchased Square Trade
extended product warranties on other brands of products a few times,
and the one time that I needed to use it they were easy to contact and
deal with. However, it's very likely that you'll have your Panasonic
product a very, very long time without any breakdowns. Buy the
warranty only if it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

I entered "number of features" as both a pro and a con for this set.
If this phone system has any fault, it's also a pro: There are so many
features that this set has that it may frustrate some as they learn
how to use some of the features. Of course, many of these features
will be a blessing once you learn how to use them. With an increased
feature set comes some increase in complexity, but Panasonic has made
this as easy to deal with as possible with a good phone menu system
and a well-written manual.

When you read sections of the manual, pay attention to whether the
section is discussing how to do something on the base unit or on a
handset. Otherwise, you might get confused when you don't see the
option on a handset if it's an option accessible only on the base
unit.

If you have lots of phone numbers to store, you'll be pleased with
this feature. This phone has enough capacity to store 3,000 numbers
and names, enough for an entire large village or small city. Few will
ever need that many. The numbers, once stored in a handset, are
available to all handsets, so you don't have to enter them more than
once.

The handset LCD display is very easy to read with large numbers, which
should be welcome to those who have problems with tiny characters.

Most people will like the features of this set. It looks like it is
made to last a long time. I do not regret buying this product and would
highly recommend it to anyone who needs a 5-handset wireless home phone.

If you don't need the cellular connection (through bluetooth) feature of this set,
buy one of the ones without it and save some money. I don't personally need that
feature, but it came with the set and I bought it as a much lower cost
than I ever expected to (even less than ones without that feature). I might
get some use out of the feature eventually, but for the present, my feature
phone is fine and it doesn't have bluetooth.

If you need a set with fewer handsets, Panasonic has models with two
to five handsets available, and they are supposed to be expandable
beyond that also.

If my review was helpful to you, please click the YES button below.

Thanks!!!

Donald

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, Great for Call Blocking, September 9, 2013
VW49 "VW" (Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
Note this Panasonic KX-TG385SK is equivalent to KX-TG7875. The model no. might be different since it is also sold at Sam's Club and Costco.

Up front, I bought this phone to get call blocking because this set can block 250 numbers. I hope I will not need 250, however, most other models can only block 30 which is not enough for the many violators of the Do Not Call list and the political, survey and charity callers who are exempt from DNC. After 2 weeks, we are still learning the many features of the set. Importantly it is blocking the pesky calls and Call Block will be very useful as Nov. 5 election approaches. For us the Bluetooth feature is a nice extra benefit which does work with my Verizon Motorola Droid Razr M cell phones (even though Razr M was listed as "untested" on Panasonic's compatibility list). Lucky for us, the Bluetooth connection works throughout my house as far as 30 feet from the base unit (your range will likely be different). Nice to make or answer cell calls from the system while leaving the cell in one place. But only one cell can call/answer at the same time. I was also able to download my cell phone contacts into the Panasonic phone book which is helpful but still required lots of editing of contacts with multiple phone no.s (home, work, mobile).
Overall, we are very satisfied with the voice and connection quality and the handsets have much better range than our previous cordless set. Have not needed or tried the Noise Reduction feature. We really do not need 5 handsets especially when you can call and answer from the base unit without a handset. It was easy to connect the set and start using it, but to customize settings and use many of the available features, you should read through the lengthy instructions (69 pages in English) to learn what the set can do. Some quibbles are that programming from the base can be different from a handset (which seemed to work better) and the built-in menu of settings (base and handset) does not include all features so you do need to look up programming codes in the instructions. The set works well for us and we are happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - This High-Tech Phone Works Like a Cyber-Dream, August 15, 2013
When I needed a slightly greater range than my old ATT cordless phone gave me, I took a risk on this Panasonic model -- and I'm glad I did! The range is about ten feet farther than my old phone's, but, more importantly, this Panasonic has clear sound and some fantastic features. It comes with five handsets (wow!) with the ability to add one more for a total of six. Each handset comes with its own charging base -- one base station and four auxiliary cradles. Also included are two AAA rechargeable batteries for each handset, a telephone line, the base station and power pack, and three belt clips.

The Link-to-Cell features are beyond cool. I'm always missing cell calls because either I can't hear or can't get to the phone in time when it's buried in my handbag. Now that I've paired my cell (you can pair up to two cell phones but can use only one at a time on it) to the phone system, all the phones in the house ring when my cell phone does, so I can pick up any handset and answer. The sound quality of a cell call is not as good as either pure landline or pure cell, but it saves me from running through the house to get to my cell. And I know it's my cell because the Panasonic plays the correct ringtone, no matter what it is. I can also make cell calls through the phone system to take advantage of the multiple handsets and my almost-unlimited number of cell minutes. (If you want text message alerts, too, you'll need to purchase one of the more advanced models.) Within minutes, my entire contact list of nearly 400 numbers on my iPhone 5 was downloaded onto the system for quick recall. The only iffy part of the whole set-up is that the sound quality of cell phone calls through the Panasonic is not as good as the quality through the cell phone alone.

Initial set-up is a breeze. Pop the batteries into each handset, plug in the chargers and base station, and connect to the landline jack. You can now make and receive calls while you're figuring out the other settings. (If you don't have a landline, there's a cell phone line only setting.) Although the instructions say that you must charge the handsets for 7 hours prior to use, the batteries do have some charge when they arrive, making it possible to answer the phone, if necessary; alternately, you can plug in all the units overnight before connecting the system to a landline or cell. The base station has a USB port for charging your cell phone.

The instruction book is a must-read to learn about all the features. Kudos to Panasonic for taking the time to supply a complete printed manual instead of sending consumers online the way most companies do. The system uses numbered menu items for shortcuts to the feature settings, although you can also access them by scrolling. Some of the other features include call block, Bluetooth headset connectivity, intercom, missed calls (with Caller ID service), and a landline answering machine that can be remotely accessed or by any of the handsets.

It's hard to believe that the landline cordless telephone system needed to be brought into the 21st century, but Panasonic seems to have done it with finesse.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally I am no longer missing my Cell calls, December 16, 2013
I live in a 3 story home and was always running up or down stairs to answer my cell phone. This device is perfect I can hear either the land-line or the cell phone throughout the whole house. This unit can connect to 2 cell phone (I have the Costco not the Sams Club model). It connected to two phones with ease and even alerts me to text messages. And voice mail on any of the phones. Also the sync with cell worked perfectly so I did not spend anytime at all programming the phone book.

I have been waiting for a phone like this for a long time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Link2Cell; Horribly by flawed cell-phone compatibility issue!, December 17, 2013

I recently purchased a KX-TG385 exclusively because of the Link2Cell feature. In the family we have two cell phones. My personal phone, a Driod Razr, is not on Panasonics list of "compatible" phones. I presumed that while some of the bells & whistles of the Link2Cell (like phone book transfer?) might not work, but certainly the basic functions of a Bluetooth link must work. This turned out to be wrong. My cell will not stay paired to the Panasonic.

Curious if there was something to be done, I called Panasonic support. The representative assured me that Link2Cell only works with the cell-phones on the Compatibility List. It will not work with others. I pointed out that this would seem to have ugly implications come cell-phone-upgrade time. This seems to mean that in the future I would have to limit what cell I can buy? Her response.... "Yes, all your future phones are restricted to cell-phones on the list."

This would seem to be a giant deal-breaker. Chances are the phone I will have 2 years from now is not even a model that exists today. What is Panasonic thinking?

...
Follow-up; After a bit of research, I tried a vTech phone with their cell connections scheme, called "Connect to Cell". This one just worked & .... perfectly at that. Apparently bot vTech and AT&T use this same technology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth it if you can get it with mfg'er discount instant savings, December 1, 2013
Bought this at costco today and it had a mfg'er $40 off the list price. Our 5 year old 5 handset Panasonic unit's base station died. With the old unit's 5 working handsets, I was hoping to add one of these to the new system (max of 6 handsets allowed) but I was unable to register it. Kept getting an error message. The old handset was kx-tga641 and new system handsets are kx-tga680. One minor quibble with the new handsets - more difficult to tell when they are fully charged on bases. Old units had an amber light on top of handset when it was charging and light would go off when fully charged. With new set you have to look at the handset's display screen. So far have only set up specific ring tones for 2 out of 3 groups. Also set up call block for callers with no phone numbers. Have not set up the more exotic features such as link to cell, etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's missing some key features that you would think would be included...., March 21, 2014
I really had high hopes for this system especially after reading all the reviews. As a matter of fact, I wanted it to work and I spent over 10 hours trying to figure all the features out and I am not happy with my purchase. I needed a few features that were not included. So if you don't care about the following then perhaps you maybe happy like the rest of the reviews.

I presumed that "silent mode" would give me the option to put it on silent mode at anytime. Instead you can only put it on silent mode for a fixed period of time and it goes silent everyday! You need to indicate a start time and and end time and then it will be silent daily for this period of time. If you want to create a do not disturb situation, you can lower the volume down however you need to physically go to each handset and base and manually turn the volume off. This is a huge inconvenience if especially that all the handsets and base are all scattered throughout my house. It would be awesome if you can just go to one handset or the base and instruct the system to turn off the volume or create a do not disturb situation.

Also Link to Cell should be the other way around. Meaning I should be able to make a call from my cell and "link" to cell. And when you do make a call from the system with the cell feature, the call is not clear and it's static. So what is the use of linking a cell to a system when it's not working properly?

In addition, you need to memorize codes for so many features. All these #s codes are annoying. It does come with one manual however you really need a manual for each handset since there are so many codes to remember, i.e. hit menu, then # 6137, etc. Annoying and not convenient! There should be an easier way to have all the key features that are standard with many phone systems out there. My GE system has one button if anyone wants to take a nap or not take calls. The button is on the base and it is called "Do Not Disturb" and it applies to all the handsets including the base.

I hope this helps you if you are looking for simplicity and features I am looking for such as clarity, static free, easy to use, no codes, one handset/base controlling everything. Peace out....

5.0 out of 5 stars Meets our needs, June 7, 2014
Great phone system a lot of cool features.
The noise reduction feature works great especially when you are hearing impaired

3.0 out of 5 stars Phone is just OK, August 26, 2013
The phone is okay but when placed on speaker phone there is a echo that is quite annoying and makes that feature almost imposible to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Power adapter has two voltages 5.5 and 5v for the main base, March 31, 2014
Panasonic KX-TG385SK It features a new type of power supply. It has dual voltage on the main base 5.5 volt and 5v and the power jack is a RJ-11C type . It looks like a telephone jack except that the lock is to one side. The cradle for the 4 other telephones are also directly connected to the power adapter which has a different voltage( PNLV233 output is 4.8 v , 160 mA ).So this makes it difficult for countries with 220v as you cannot remove the adapter from the cradle. The main charger also has dual volt and so at the moment I couldn't find a company selling a 220V adapter . The adapter model for the main base is PNLV234 .It is made in china . The cradle model number is PNLC1040 ,connected directly to the 4.8V adapter. I bought it recently ,the power plugs are the biggest drawback as I was planning to gift it to a person living in Europe. The reason I believe is : power for the answering machine and the other for charging the phone .But this was done without a problem all these years . Why make it more complicated ? :(. I dont see an option to upload pictures.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›