4.0 out of 5 stars Chic design, good quality
I recently needed to replace my old 5.8GHz Uniden cordless phone because the battery could only last half an hour. Originally I was thinking to get a DECT 6.0 phone, but after reading a review on Amazon.com that DECT could be a health harzard, I went back to the good old FHSS 5.8GHz.

6073S is in the 607x family, with x representing the number of handsets...
Published on July 6, 2007 by Xin Ning

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish we bought a different phone
Published on March 22, 2008 by Amazon User

4.0 out of 5 stars Chic design, good quality, July 6, 2007
Xin Ning (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TG6073S 5.8 GHz Expandable Digital Cordless Answering System with 3 Handsets (Office Product)

6073S is in the 607x family, with x representing the number of handsets included. 6074B is a overkill for my condo with too many handsets, and 6072 is not available, so I had to settle with 6073.

I have had it for a week, and I have to say I really love it. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
1) Good design. I was hoping to get the set in black, but it turns out the silver color looks pretty good too. The handsets are comfortable to hold and the key pads are about the right size.
2) Every setting is done through menu, which is easy to operate in common sense without looking at the manual. The phone book directory transfer to other handsets is a great bonus.
3) The advertised talk time is 5 hours (which means a total of 15 hours with 3 handsets). Sometimes I have to attend a lot of long conference calls when working from home, so I am very conscious on picking a phone that can last longer on the battery. I haven't had a chance to test them all, but with one handset standing by for 6 days and I still managed to make over 3 hours calls on it I think 5 hours is not exaggerated.
4) Speaker phone on each handset. This is so important for having conference calls, so I don't have to stick the phones to my ears all the time.
5) Crisp sound quality.
6) The sound quality on the answer machine is pretty good too, and I can access my voice message remotely. The prompting voice instruction to handle the voice mails is clear.
7) The ringer for the base and all 3 handsets can be turned off, that's very important when I don't want to be disturbed by anyone.
8) Handsets can be used as alarm clocks even with the ringer turned off. The music is very soothing to wake me up.
9) On touch button to turn on or off the answer machine.
10) On the contrarory to what other review says, the phone book input does have capital letters, simply pressing on the same key until it passes the lower case letters.

Cons:
1) There are no clips for the handsets. There is instruction in the manual on how to tie a string and hang a handset around one's neck. I have to say this is the silliest suggestion I have ever read for a phone. Are the people from Panasonic drunk? Just for this, I can't give this phone a 5 star.
2) There is no flashing on the handsets when there are new messages. And the display on the handsets only shows "new messages" with no total number indication.
3) The recharging seem to take much longer than I thought (4 to 5 hours I think).

Overall, I think this is a very good product and my money well spent. Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars New phone, October 4, 2007
kksox "CCRN" (East Longmeadow, MA) - See all my reviews
I just bought this to replace my other panasonic which I like a lot, but I needed the extra handsets. This phone has a lot of options, easy to navigate through the menu button. It has voice enhancement, but I actually like the sound better with this option turned off. The answer machine records hang ups....YUCK!! but, it allows for you to turn it off and let your home voicemail pick up (if you have it), and has an indicator that you have voicemail, which my other phone did not. You can also check your messages through the handsets. The talking caller ID is cool, though you can only hear it through the base, and not the handsets. My other phone allowed you the option of going to a web site and downloading different ring tones, this one does not, so now I have unused ringtone credits that I can not use. The phone book is easy to use, and once you program all your numbers in, there is an option to transfer the phone book to the other handsets so you don't have to individually program them. The sound is clear, the handsets are comfortable. I haven't really assessed the battery life yet, but if it's anything like my other panasonic, I used to leave that one off the base for days and it had excellent battery life. I don't spend 5 hrs on the phone though. Overall rating....great phone. Couldn't give it 5 stars because it records hang ups!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish we bought a different phone, March 22, 2008
First you should know that the KX-TG6073S is pretty much the same as the KX-TG6074B and KX-TG6072B. The only difference is that the other ones come with a different number of handsets, and are black instead of silver. Also, the only difference between the KX-TG607xx series and KX-TG605xx series is that the KX-TG607xx series has a keypad/speakerphone on the base, while the KX-TG605xx series does not. And the only difference between the KX-TG605xx series and KX-TG602xx series is that the KX-TG605xx series comes with an answering machine, while the KX-TG602xx does not.

When we bought the KX-TG6073S, I did a test where I used one of the handsets to leave a voicemail on my cellphone. While leaving the voicemail, I talked into the handset and walked all around the house, upstairs and down into the basement. I then listened to my voicemail from the handset, to make sure the sound quality was good. Then I repeated the test using the handset's speakerphone function. The sound quality passed my test, so we ended up keeping the phone. (I had bought a different cordless phone a few years ago and did the same test, and the sound quality was pretty bad, so I returned it.)

But now that we've had the KX-TG6073S for a few months, we have noticed several annoying things that make us wish we had bought a different phone.

1) I have seen another review where someone said that the answering machine will save a blank message if someone calls and hangs up. I actually tested that out when we first got the phone and did not get it to happen. However, it appears to be happening now because we have received several blank messages. Our old answering machine did not save blank messages.

2) The base unit will notify you with a blinking light if there are any messages. But once you listen to the messages, the light will stop blinking. This is a problem if more than one person lives in the house, and you check the messages and find out that there is a message for someone else. On our old answering machine, we could press a SAVE button and it would cause the light to continue blinking. You cannot do that on the KX-TG6073S. A workaround is to record a memo, which will cause the light to blink again, but anyone else who checks the messages has to know to hit the rewind button to hear old messages.

3) Another person in the house told me that the KX-TG6073S did not function at one point. Apparently all the lights on the base unit had turned on, and the handset displayed a message saying that it was too far from the base, even though they were standing right next to the base. They said that they had to unplug the base and plug it back in before it started working again.

4) Our handsets are now displaying a message about how we have a voicemail, even though we have deleted all the messages on the machine. We also do not have any voicemail service from our phone company. We have tried unplugging the phone and plugging it back in, but it still displays the message.

5) This is the most annoying problem. If someone is talking on one of the handsets, then you will hear clicking noises and static-like noises coming from the base unit. It's like the conversation is trying to come through the speakerphone on the base unit even though the speakerphone is off.

1.0 out of 5 stars just great...if you like "rebooting" your phone every day!!!, April 13, 2008
THE BASE MAKES RANDOM INTERFERENCE / CLICKING NOISES EVEN WHEN NOT IN USE!!! I can't believe all the positive reviews of this piece of junk. Previously I had owned a Panasonic 900Mhz cordless phone for over 10 years. It had lasted me though over 6 different moves around the city and to 3 other states, always working flawlessly and rarely having any interference problems whatsoever, even with the advent of cell phone mania, MP3 players with FM tuners, bluetooth devices, and of course wireless internet signals all swarming around my apartment. I finally had to replace the 10 year old phone because of a problem with the handset volume becoming inaudible. But other than that, still no problems with interference whatsoever. So I buy this new piece of technology with its "improved 5.8Ghz range" (bypassing the 2.4Ghz generation altogether), and what happens? The base of the phone makes random "clicking" noises when you're not even using the phone!! Then, when you do use it, sometimes from only 3-4 feet away, you press "Talk" and nothing happens...the phone can't communicate with the base. I wanted to make sure it wasn't just defective, so I called my parents for whom this past Christmas I bought the same model (in a different color). They've been having the same exact problems. They live in rural PA and barely use their cell phones at all. Then I called tech support. Their solution? "Unplug the phone, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in." So i did it, and it fixed the problem. For about a day. Then it starts up again. Their next fix? "Move the phone away from other electronics to a different place in your house." I'm sorry, I actually like to place the objects in my bedroom where they're convenient for me to reach from bed, which incidentally happens to be the same place it's convenient for me to reach my alarm clock, my cell phone, and my lamp. So now I have to get up and run across the room every time the phone rings, or alternatively "reboot" my phone every day!??? So I went ahead and moved every other electronic devices off the nightstand just to see, and in a few days, same problem still returned. I thought the whole reason to "upgrade" to 5.8Ghz or 1.9Ghz was to have LESS interference problems. Funny how I didn't have any interference problem at 900Mhz but I do now. The fact that unplugging it fixes it temporarily proves that it is a SOFTWARE problem, not a hardware problem, that could be fixed. I asked if there was a way to change frequencies manually, like my old 900Mhz phone. Nope, "it's automatic, you can't change it." So just out of curiosity, I went to Staples and bought one of those $10 Trimline corded phone like i used to talk on back in 1989 when i was in junior high. I called my friend and didn't tell him what phone I was on. He said I sounded better than any phone he had ever heard in his life. All this upgraded technology is a joke. I returned this piece of garbage to Amazon for a refund. I'm tempted to go buy a corded phone and just keep it by my bed. Who needs all these wireless technology headaches and brain cancer when we could all hear each other better and have less problems talking on a good old fashioned Trimline phone like we did when we were 14 years old? This product should never have made it through QA testing. It should be recalled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic cordless phones, November 27, 2007
Jerry (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
I had another set of cordless phones for voice over IP. But the speaker phones were not clear from the other end. These cordless phones are providing clear voices and I am able to use the speaker phones without asking to repeat my messages. A little expensive but it is worth it if you use it a lot.

2.0 out of 5 stars display quit after a year, January 4, 2009
This was a good system with all the features we wanted in a phone until the display on one of the handsets went blank. This happened just a little more than a year after purchase (hence, after the limited warranty ran out as well). E-mail to Panasonic support resulted in regurgitation of what can be found on the Web site and offered no resolution. For the price of the system, I would expect the phones to last much longer than a year; a replacement for one handset from Panasonic will cost another $44 plus "tax and recycling fees."

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Phone, December 23, 2008
Talk about user friendly, this phone is. The quality is excellent, everything works like it should per instructions, and no glitches. It saved me the trouble of having to install new phone jacks in locations that would be very difficult to do. The price was good, and if it lasts as long as my corded Panasonic phone has,it's well worth it! As an added plus, I can hear and be heard extremely well even on speakerphone when talking to a VRU. (Like Directory Assistance)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, September 16, 2008
After doing my research, I found this as excellent phone with crystal clear voice clarity, LCD display is good, speaker phone is perfect another person will not come to know you are talking on speaker phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improves on the original, April 27, 2008
I have had the single phone version of this product. This updated 3 phone issue improves on something that I was already satisfied with. You can program all 3 receivers by programming only one. Not only does it verbally tell you who is calling but it use the designation for the caller that you have programmed for that phone number. The audio reception is very clear and the controls are just were you would expect them to be. Great Product and lasts a long time, much longer than similar products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic TG 6073 cordless phone, April 15, 2008
J. Wilhite (Southern Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
The phone arrived quicker than promised and was easy to configure for my needs. The phone covers the needed area and provides good voice quality. However I did have a problem with one of the handsets not charging the battery properly after about 3 weeks of ownership. It is a real chore to get assistance over the phone since the website did not have an answer to my questions or problem. Phone contact is difficult because the voice prompts were not relative. When I finally spoke to someone I was cut off two times while waiting for the representative. When I finally reached the representative they were helpful but were hard to understand. They spoke with a thick accent that was difficult for me. I suppose this experience is representative of all major companies today, but is rather exasperating. The set is well built and easy to use and I do not regret purchasing it. If I had not had this problem, I would rate it 5 stars.

Rate and Discover Movies