Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 2, 2010
We picked up the KX-TG6512B the other day to try before taking the plunge on a larger system with 6 handsets. Our old Uniden 5.8 GHz system was great, but the batteries on all the handsets are losing their ability to hold a charge and it interferes with our wireless network. I started looking for a DECT 6.0 replacement system but never found one that had all the features we were looking for, but now that I virtually stumbled across the 6500 series from Panasonic it looks like I've found our perfect phones. Here's what I like:

- You can customize the banner on each handset. This may seem like a minor feature, but we had gotten used to it on the Uniden and liked it.

- You can check the Caller ID on one handset after someone else has already answered a call on another handset. We actually end up doing this quite a bit with our old Uniden phones, but I had read a review of the older Panasonic 6440 phones that said this wasn't possible. I was very pleasantly surprised to see this now works, since I was about ready to live without that feature.

- The handsets have jacks for wired headsets. My wife and I both work in the technical field and often end up working on the computer while on a call, and a headset is a better option than a speaker phone. This was a must-have feature for us, and many of the Uniden phones don't have it.

- The speaker phone quality is very good. We were always very happy with the sound of the Uniden speaker phone on the handsets, but the new Panasonic sound quality is at least as good.

- The batteries in the handset are standard NiMH AAA rechargeables rather than the proprietary (and expensive) battery used in the Uniden. Should we ever need to replace them it will be trivial and cheap.

- There are belt clips for the handsets. We don't use this a lot, but we do every once in a while, especially when using a headset. Some of the other models I looked at didn't have this. Note that if you put the belt clip on the headset it covers up the little grippy patch on the back that's there to help you hold the handset between your shoulder and ear, so if you like to hold your phone on your shoulder you may want to skip the belt clip.

- The buttons on the phone are back-lit and easy to find and push. On some of the new Uniden handsets the three buttons in an individual row are all run together and I heard that they can be less easy to find.

- The display on the handset is black-on-white and very easy to read.

- The phone will set its time and date from the Caller ID information.

- The message waiting indicator light on the phones can be manually turned off simply by pushing and holding the "#" key. Our old Uniden phone would sometimes miss the signal from the phone company to turn off the light, so it's nice that there's an option to manually do it easily on the Panasonic if the need arises.

There are many other features related to address books, etc. that are less important to us so I haven't bothered to learn about them or try them. However, based on the above I'm extremely happy with this new Panasonic phone. We've only used it a very short time, but I was impressed enough to order the KX-TG6545B with 5 included handsets to be our replacement for our old Uniden system. This adds a base speakerphone with keypad, as well as an answering system we'll never use (we have voice mail from the phone company).

So, to summarize, I really like this phone (love is too strong a word for a cordless phone). We've not used it enough to know how well it'll work down the road, but based on reviews of other Panasonic phones I'm optimistic about that.
143143 comments|1,684 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2010
These phones are a great value. I purchased this phone because it does not have an answering machine. I use voicemail, and didn't want to pay for a function or deal with a more complicated phone than I needed. The sound quality is excellent! I love the big caller ID - very easy to see the caller list with names & phone numbers. The voicemail shortcut button is a nice feature. This phone has prominent Speaker Phone and Flash (call waiting) buttons. While you're on a call, a Mute button becomes available, which is very important in my household with all of the kids and dogs! I use this phone in my big backyard, and it has a very long range. The only feature that I'd like to see added is a "Do not Disturb" button to turn the ringer off and send all calls directly to voicemail. However, I can access this feature through my phone company's voicemail system online. Overall, this phone sounds great, has a very long range, and all of the features that I need without an answering machine. It's a great value, and highly recommend it.
44 comments|358 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2011
This phone has EVERYTHING I've ever wanted in a portable land line phone!

Some of the features I LOVE:

*HEADSET JACK - I use headsets often and this feature has gotten hard to find with other manufacturers.
*VERY LARGE DISPLAY and LETTERING. We're baby boomers, and can read it without glasses. (Offers both
English/Spanish options)
*LIT KEYPAD - (How cool is that?) Make calls at night with ease.
*VERY CLEAR SPEAKER PHONE built into the portable handset.
*PHONEBOOK can hold 50 names. PLUS - once you program one phone, it TRANSFERS THAT INFORMATION TO THE OTHER!!
*USES STANDARD rechargeable AAA NiMH batteries - you can find inexpensive replacements at a local store;
yet they hold their charge for a VERY LONG time - the first Panasonic phone we purchased with these
batteries is over a year old, has endured a lot of use and is still on it's original set!
*CALL BLOCK FEATURE - If you have Caller ID through the phone company, you can choose up to 30 numbers to
be BLOCKED! Perfect for recurring telemarketers and/or other callers and/or callers with no identification.
The phone gives them a busy signal and disconnects their call! (Wow - one of our favorite features!)
*GREAT RANGE and RECEPTION.
*SLEEK, LIGHTWEIGHT design - smaller than previous Panasonic phones we've owned, but plenty rugged.
*EASY SET-UP. Set-up and use is very intuitive.
*All the features you'd expect from a premium phone, including, but not limited to: Redial, Call Waiting,
Caller ID, Hold, Mute, Privacy mode, Intercom, Call Share, Alarm & Silent Mode programing, belt clip and
others!

Contrary to the (few) complaints on Amazon's site, our experience is:

*CLEAR RECEPTION, no phone hum.
*GREAT CONNECTION, no voice delays.
*ABSOLUTELY D-O-E-S have a memory for calls received, despite what one reviewer claims.
*ADJUSTING THE RINGER does NOT necessitate the entering of a "code," as one person suggests.
You simply click "MENU" THEN SCROLL TO INITIAL SETTINGS, SELECT, and "RINGER SETTINGS" appears!
*The standard, non-propietary rechargeable NiMH AAA batteries have a VERY LONG LIFE.
We have these batteries in another Panasonic phone we purchased over a year ago, and they still
hold a great, long charge - amazing!

As the overwhelming positive reviews for this phone would suggest, this is 99% the perfect phone! What would make it 100%, in my opinion, is better ringer selections. This phone offers 5 tones and 5 melodies. None of them are great, and most of them are obnoxious. However, in our opinion, there are a couple that are "okay," and we use them...

Perhaps Panasonic will read this review and tweak the ringer selections! Otherwise - Panasonic: CHANGE NOTHING ELSE!!!
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2010
These phones seem to be really nice quality. They were priced well; I was looking for a nice set of phones for under $50 and these fit the bill. They have all sorts of features including call blocking, multiple ring tones and ring tone melodies. The speaker phone feature sounds clear and crisp as does the regular hand set. One of the coolest features as far as I'm concerned is the use of standard AAA rechargeable batteries instead of some unusual battery pack like most use. This way when the batteries begin to not hold a charge in a few years it's super easy to replace them and fairly inexpensive. The range is really good on these things too. I can go anywhere in my house and the sound is crystal clear and the phone never leaves ECO mode which is a mode where the transmitter in the phone works on lower power when the phones are near enough to the base; the feature saves power. The phones were really easy to program too. Very intuitive menu and a nice, large display that shows the date and time when the phone is not in use.
0Comment|156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2010
I had a vTech similar telephone, with a base set and an extension. It worked well, but the speakerphone had the echo thing, and after five years, the buttons began to get flakey. I'd press one number and it would go in twice, and on the extension, had to press really hard to make them work.

So, looked for phones and there were a lot, but this one was well rated, so I ordered a base phone and one extension set. If is difficult to add much to all the praise of the five-star ratings, as I agree with everything written.

The features were a little different, but much more intuitive, the large screen and buttons were really helpful, and it was much easier to enter contacts to the phonebook than any other phone I had.

The thing that blew my mind was that the extension, once registered, had the same time and date and all the phonebook entries, as well as duplicating the redial and Caller ID numbers that is on the base phone. With the old phone, I had to enter contacts on each one.

After a month, my wife and I both liked these so much, we ordered another extension phone for her studio. Again, once registered, all the data went to that phone too. Way cool!

I tried hard, but I'm sorry, I can't find anything wrong with it. I have a very nice Bang & Olufsen phone that looks like a piece of sculpture, but the Panasonic is even better than that very expensive one.
on September 4, 2010
This cordless phone is top-rated in the October 2010 issue of Consumer Reports and after comparing it to a VTech wireless 6.0 phone that I recently purchased (and later returned) I can see why. It has large numbers on the display...a great feature for we seniors. It has a economy mode that powers down the phone until you walk up to it...and it then it beeps and turns the power on. It has lighted buttons at night...a great feature in my dimmly lit room. And, it is very clear and crisp when transmitting calls. My only issues is that sometimes the caller's voice fads out for afew moments but the VTech had the same problem so I think it's a directional thing within the walls of my home. You can buy the cheaper VTech or Uniden phones but for the few dollars extra I think the Panasonic is unmatched for both quality and features.
on August 1, 2010
I cannot speak highly enough about these cordless phones. They are the best I've ever owned. I love how they fit my hand, the large led display, speaker phone is great, as are all of the other features. I can't find one thing wrong with my Panasonic KX Dect 6.0 It took me a long time to decide on replacement phones for my old ones. I am so happy I chose these. Amazon.com came through for me again!

Bobbie Quinn
on September 4, 2013
The phone worked for 2 months, then the sound became choppy. Customer service said it should be on the same floor as the base unit. But even with the base unit only 10 feet away, and with no walls in between, the reception was bad.

Since it had worked for a while, it was not considered to be defective, so they would only repair it. I paid half the price of the phone to return it to them. Got it back weeks later with the same problem, and now it echoes as well. I was told to send it AGAIN for repairs, but I refused, and that's when my customer service nightmare began.

First, I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to prove that the phone really didn't work (hook up a different phone to the same line, replace the cord, etc.). I spent hours on hold. (I once held for an hour and 20 minutes until a robo-voice came on to tell me "customer service is now closed".) They repeatedly promise that someone will call you within 48 hours, but nobody ever does. They want your receipt and credit card number ("in case you don't return the old phone"), but they won't send a replacement until they get the old phone (so why the credit card number?). You can't speak directly to a supervisor (because they "are a very busy call center and the supervisors are very busy!"), so you have to wait for them to contact you (which they never do). I tried sending an email, and was sent a link "for further assistance", but it was a dead link.

At this point I have waited weeks for a return shipping label (which they say will not include pickup). Unless you're willing to go through a long, stressful process if your product needs replacing, I would avoid Panasonic.
on June 15, 2011
The phone is a nice little phone, although not as large as I expected ( picture looked larger) and wanted. The biggest drawback for me is there is no way to turn the volumn up for voice. My husband does not hear well, and this is needed.
on September 2, 2010
Really like this phone, but one of the handsets was defective -- the display was bad. Rather than the usual great Amazon return policy, I had to contact FactoryDepot. Nice customer service but they do NOT replace the defective item unless I pay for shipping. Bad form. Panasonic will, but I get a re-manufactured replacement rather than a new phone. Will definitely be wary of using Amazon storefronts in the future, especially this one.
66 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse