3,140 Reviews

1,587 of 1,613 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars May be the perfect cordless phone
Published on June 2, 2010 by D. Dawson

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible sound quality
I have loved Panasonic cordless phones and after using an AT&T system that died on me after two years, I decided to go back to the brand that had been flawless for 6 years before that. The ratings on Amazon were all great, and I bought this phone assuming it would sound good. The first set sounded good only when I was sitting two feet from the base, and as soon as I...
Published on January 26, 2011 by dcgardener

1,587 of 1,613 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars May be the perfect cordless phone, June 2, 2010
D. Dawson (Maplewood, MN United States) - See all my reviews
We picked up the KX-TG6512B the other day to try before taking the plunge on a larger system with 6 handsets. Our old Uniden 5.8 GHz system was great, but the batteries on all the handsets are losing their ability to hold a charge and it interferes with our wireless network. I started looking for a DECT 6.0 replacement system but never found one that had all the features we were looking for, but now that I virtually stumbled across the 6500 series from Panasonic it looks like I've found our perfect phones. Here's what I like:

- You can customize the banner on each handset. This may seem like a minor feature, but we had gotten used to it on the Uniden and liked it.

- You can check the Caller ID on one handset after someone else has already answered a call on another handset. We actually end up doing this quite a bit with our old Uniden phones, but I had read a review of the older Panasonic 6440 phones that said this wasn't possible. I was very pleasantly surprised to see this now works, since I was about ready to live without that feature.

- The handsets have jacks for wired headsets. My wife and I both work in the technical field and often end up working on the computer while on a call, and a headset is a better option than a speaker phone. This was a must-have feature for us, and many of the Uniden phones don't have it.

- The speaker phone quality is very good. We were always very happy with the sound of the Uniden speaker phone on the handsets, but the new Panasonic sound quality is at least as good.

- The batteries in the handset are standard NiMH AAA rechargeables rather than the proprietary (and expensive) battery used in the Uniden. Should we ever need to replace them it will be trivial and cheap.

- There are belt clips for the handsets. We don't use this a lot, but we do every once in a while, especially when using a headset. Some of the other models I looked at didn't have this. Note that if you put the belt clip on the headset it covers up the little grippy patch on the back that's there to help you hold the handset between your shoulder and ear, so if you like to hold your phone on your shoulder you may want to skip the belt clip.

- The buttons on the phone are back-lit and easy to find and push. On some of the new Uniden handsets the three buttons in an individual row are all run together and I heard that they can be less easy to find.

- The display on the handset is black-on-white and very easy to read.

- The phone will set its time and date from the Caller ID information.

- The message waiting indicator light on the phones can be manually turned off simply by pushing and holding the "#" key. Our old Uniden phone would sometimes miss the signal from the phone company to turn off the light, so it's nice that there's an option to manually do it easily on the Panasonic if the need arises.

There are many other features related to address books, etc. that are less important to us so I haven't bothered to learn about them or try them. However, based on the above I'm extremely happy with this new Panasonic phone. We've only used it a very short time, but I was impressed enough to order the KX-TG6545B with 5 included handsets to be our replacement for our old Uniden system. This adds a base speakerphone with keypad, as well as an answering system we'll never use (we have voice mail from the phone company).

So, to summarize, I really like this phone (love is too strong a word for a cordless phone). We've not used it enough to know how well it'll work down the road, but based on reviews of other Panasonic phones I'm optimistic about that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phones, July 19, 2010
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TG6513B DECT 6.0 PLUS Expandable Cordless Phone System, Black, 3 Handsets (Office Product)
I know that a lot of people are using their home phones less and less these days because of cell phones - but we still use ours a lot. Believe it or not, my wife was interviewed to be on the Oprah show a few years ago because of the amount of time she spends on the phone:). With her and the three kids competing for the phones, these end up getting a lot of hard use.

Anyway, the main problems we run into with phones are typically sound quality and durability.

With these DECT 6.0+ phones from Panasonic, the sound quality is truly as good as a corded phone. We live in a 3000 square foot, 2-story house and these phones easily cover that space as well as the yard. We never really take the handsets past the yard boundaries, so I don't know what the maximum range is before these start breaking up. I'm also an early-adopter tech person; so our house is probably one of the most challenging environments a wireless phone could exist in.

This is the second set of DECT 6.0 phones we've had from Panasonic and the sound quality is head and shoulders above the wireless phones we've had from other manufacturers.

When it comes to features, here are the things we like about these:
1) The handsets have pocket clips that work well and stay attached to the phone for walking around.
2) There is a headset jack on the handsets, which is also great for walking around.
3) Panasonic has improved the caller ID and redial features from their previous generations - both features are now much easier to access.
4) I like that the lights on the handset tend to stay off in the base unit so we can sleep with the phone in its base.
5) These phones use standard NiMH AAA batteries, so they are easy to replace, or even to charge outside the phone if you want.
6) We use voicemail anyway, so I like that this particular phone does NOT include an answering machine. (I hate paying for a feature that we'll never use.)
7) I love that we can pick up any handset and immediately join the call without having to do anything special to let a new caller join.
8) The handsets are a great size and shape - so they're very easy to use. I can't imagine wanting a home phone that is the size of a cell phone...

As far as durability goes, we've only had these for a couple of weeks now so it's hard to know how long they will last. They do feel solid; and, based on the longevity of our last Panasonic phones, I'm expecting that they will last quite a while. In fact, the last Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phones we owned are the first phones we've ever had that have made it past a year without breaking - and they lasted more than two years! I've come to the conclusion that Panasonic phones are the only phones available that can be dropped repeatedly (including an occasional dunk in the sink or bounce off the tile) without completely dying.

Overall, if you're looking for a high-quality phone that doesn't have an answering machine, I think this phone should be at the top of your list. I won't claim to have used every phone that is currently on the market; but we are extremely pleased with these!

[*** UPDATE 8/11/2011 ***]

Well, it looks like Panasonic did it again! We've had these phones for over a year now and they're still going strong. Before you know it, we're going to be expecting our phones to last longer than a year... :)

[*** UPDATE 1/23/2014 ***]

Believe it or not, we are still using these phones; although, they are definitely looking worn now - and the headset jack is completely broken on a couple of them.

About a year ago, we also added a set of Panasonic KX-TG7742S phones that we're using side-by-side with these, and I suspect that's helping extend the life a bit since we're able to spread the usage around a bit more.

Regardless, I'll definitely post once these phones start dying - for now, they're still going strong! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice cordless phones for the price, July 6, 2010
Tammy (MARS, PA USA) - See all my reviews
These phones are a great value. I purchased this phone because it does not have an answering machine. I use voicemail, and didn't want to pay for a function or deal with a more complicated phone than I needed. The sound quality is excellent! I love the big caller ID - very easy to see the caller list with names & phone numbers. The voicemail shortcut button is a nice feature. This phone has prominent Speaker Phone and Flash (call waiting) buttons. While you're on a call, a Mute button becomes available, which is very important in my household with all of the kids and dogs! I use this phone in my big backyard, and it has a very long range. The only feature that I'd like to see added is a "Do not Disturb" button to turn the ringer off and send all calls directly to voicemail. However, I can access this feature through my phone company's voicemail system online. Overall, this phone sounds great, has a very long range, and all of the features that I need without an answering machine. It's a great value, and highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear call quality. Good basic phone., July 11, 2010
My previous DECT 6 phone broke recently and I picked this one because I don't need answering machine.

This is 2010 model from Panasonic without the answering machine. If you are looking for answering machine, explore KX-TG4031B which is similar to this one with answering machine.

Cons:
- It takes 3 to 4 seconds to open the phone book, i just have 15 contacts stored (half star rating less for this).
- No Talking Caller ID on this model as advertised in the item description (half star rating less for this).
- Can save only 50 numbers in the phone book.
- Speaker phone exists only in the handset not in the base. I think this is same for most basic phones in the market.

Pros:
- Can conference 2 outgoing calls like we do in cell phone.
- Great call quality both using handset and speaker phone, but i have not noticed the call quality difference between DECT 6 and DECT 6 PLUS technology.
- Excellent range and changes to ECO mode when the handset is closer to the base during the call to increase talk time.
- Great battery life. After the full battery charge, I used this phone continuously for 2 hours and I still see 2 bars out of 3 in the battery indicator.
- Light weight handset. The handset uses 2 rechargeable AAA batteries which is easy to get.
- Large buttons in the number pad. The screen is clear and you can see the caller ids clearly.
- I am using one handset but this system can be Expandable up to 6 handsets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality phones & a great value, August 25, 2010
These phones seem to be really nice quality. They were priced well; I was looking for a nice set of phones for under $50 and these fit the bill. They have all sorts of features including call blocking, multiple ring tones and ring tone melodies. The speaker phone feature sounds clear and crisp as does the regular hand set. One of the coolest features as far as I'm concerned is the use of standard AAA rechargeable batteries instead of some unusual battery pack like most use. This way when the batteries begin to not hold a charge in a few years it's super easy to replace them and fairly inexpensive. The range is really good on these things too. I can go anywhere in my house and the sound is crystal clear and the phone never leaves ECO mode which is a mode where the transmitter in the phone works on lower power when the phones are near enough to the base; the feature saves power. The phones were really easy to program too. Very intuitive menu and a nice, large display that shows the date and time when the phone is not in use.

5.0 out of 5 stars 99% THE PERFECT PHONE!, May 5, 2011
This phone has EVERYTHING I've ever wanted in a portable land line phone!

Some of the features I LOVE:

*HEADSET JACK - I use headsets often and this feature has gotten hard to find with other manufacturers.
*VERY LARGE DISPLAY and LETTERING. We're baby boomers, and can read it without glasses. (Offers both
English/Spanish options)
*LIT KEYPAD - (How cool is that?) Make calls at night with ease.
*VERY CLEAR SPEAKER PHONE built into the portable handset.
*PHONEBOOK can hold 50 names. PLUS - once you program one phone, it TRANSFERS THAT INFORMATION TO THE OTHER!!
*USES STANDARD rechargeable AAA NiMH batteries - you can find inexpensive replacements at a local store;
yet they hold their charge for a VERY LONG time - the first Panasonic phone we purchased with these
batteries is over a year old, has endured a lot of use and is still on it's original set!
*CALL BLOCK FEATURE - If you have Caller ID through the phone company, you can choose up to 30 numbers to
be BLOCKED! Perfect for recurring telemarketers and/or other callers and/or callers with no identification.
The phone gives them a busy signal and disconnects their call! (Wow - one of our favorite features!)
*GREAT RANGE and RECEPTION.
*SLEEK, LIGHTWEIGHT design - smaller than previous Panasonic phones we've owned, but plenty rugged.
*EASY SET-UP. Set-up and use is very intuitive.
*All the features you'd expect from a premium phone, including, but not limited to: Redial, Call Waiting,
Caller ID, Hold, Mute, Privacy mode, Intercom, Call Share, Alarm & Silent Mode programing, belt clip and
others!

Contrary to the (few) complaints on Amazon's site, our experience is:

*CLEAR RECEPTION, no phone hum.
*GREAT CONNECTION, no voice delays.
*ABSOLUTELY D-O-E-S have a memory for calls received, despite what one reviewer claims.
*ADJUSTING THE RINGER does NOT necessitate the entering of a "code," as one person suggests.
You simply click "MENU" THEN SCROLL TO INITIAL SETTINGS, SELECT, and "RINGER SETTINGS" appears!
*The standard, non-propietary rechargeable NiMH AAA batteries have a VERY LONG LIFE.
We have these batteries in another Panasonic phone we purchased over a year ago, and they still
hold a great, long charge - amazing!

As the overwhelming positive reviews for this phone would suggest, this is 99% the perfect phone! What would make it 100%, in my opinion, is better ringer selections. This phone offers 5 tones and 5 melodies. None of them are great, and most of them are obnoxious. However, in our opinion, there are a couple that are "okay," and we use them...

Perhaps Panasonic will read this review and tweak the ringer selections! Otherwise - Panasonic: CHANGE NOTHING ELSE!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good simple phone, September 9, 2010
I got this for myself and have used it for about 3 months. I like it. The batteries last forever and the are easy to replace if they ever deplete. My old phone had a NiMh battery and it had problems from the first month. This phone is not the best ever, but for the price it a good phone. I would get another one and recommend it to you. There IS a model with a voice mail built in, but I don't even like phones and didn't want voice mail. It great for someone like me.

There are lots of customizations available but you will need to look at the manual. The ringer can be changed to many different tones and melodies and sounds. I like that. It can also be turned off and I like that even more. If you memorize 2-3 of the most used funtions it will be fine.

It holds many preset "quick dial" numbers. They are aesy to store and use.

I give it a 5/5 because it's what I expected and good quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding telephone set, can't find anything wrong, September 12, 2010
I had a vTech similar telephone, with a base set and an extension. It worked well, but the speakerphone had the echo thing, and after five years, the buttons began to get flakey. I'd press one number and it would go in twice, and on the extension, had to press really hard to make them work.

So, looked for phones and there were a lot, but this one was well rated, so I ordered a base phone and one extension set. If is difficult to add much to all the praise of the five-star ratings, as I agree with everything written.

The features were a little different, but much more intuitive, the large screen and buttons were really helpful, and it was much easier to enter contacts to the phonebook than any other phone I had.

The thing that blew my mind was that the extension, once registered, had the same time and date and all the phonebook entries, as well as duplicating the redial and Caller ID numbers that is on the base phone. With the old phone, I had to enter contacts on each one.

After a month, my wife and I both liked these so much, we ordered another extension phone for her studio. Again, once registered, all the data went to that phone too. Way cool!

I tried hard, but I'm sorry, I can't find anything wrong with it. I have a very nice Bang & Olufsen phone that looks like a piece of sculpture, but the Panasonic is even better than that very expensive one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good buy!!, July 30, 2010
Bought this product almost a month ago.
Pros:

1) Easy to use. Date/Time all are pre-configured!
2) Easy to setup (I got it all started in less than 5mins). Comes with batteries but need to be charged before any long usage duration.
3) Intuitive functions
4) GREAT speaker phone!!! (I was surprised to see this!)
5) Easy to read display, with black digital font on a whitish background.
6) Pretty good battery life. It goes for hours before you need to recharge.
7) A device locator could come handy at times.
8) Range is fairly decent but haven't really tested its max.
9) No sign of damage after a couple of drops. Pretty sturdy!

Cons:

1) Not a very comfortable set to be squeezed between your head and shoulder. Use a hands-free for extended usage.

I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's top rated in October 2010's Consumer Reports, September 4, 2010
This cordless phone is top-rated in the October 2010 issue of Consumer Reports and after comparing it to a VTech wireless 6.0 phone that I recently purchased (and later returned) I can see why. It has large numbers on the display...a great feature for we seniors. It has a economy mode that powers down the phone until you walk up to it...and it then it beeps and turns the power on. It has lighted buttons at night...a great feature in my dimmly lit room. And, it is very clear and crisp when transmitting calls. My only issues is that sometimes the caller's voice fads out for afew moments but the VTech had the same problem so I think it's a directional thing within the walls of my home. You can buy the cheaper VTech or Uniden phones but for the few dollars extra I think the Panasonic is unmatched for both quality and features.