This phone system replaced an old Panasonic 5.8 GHz system we had had for a long time. Since we generally like Panasonic's brand reliability, we decided to get another Panasonic.

Here are my pros and cons when it comes to the KX-TG6533B:

PROS:
- Handsets are lightweight and feel well balanced and ergonomically well designed.

- Display is very bright and readable with large letters and excellent contrast, so no squinting or getting out the glasses necessary.

- Handsets can be given individual names such as "Office", "Living Room" etc. No more confusing which handset belongs where when several are out of their holders at the same time.

- When new phone numbers are entered, these register immediately on the other handsets - no separate transfer of entries to other handsets is required.

- Sound is very clear. We recently switched to a VoiP provider and calls made with the old phones had sound issues a lot of times. Now people comment how much clearer we sound. Big Plus.

- We utilize the voice mail system our phone service provider offers, i.e. not the answering machine on the Panasonic base unit. One of the most useful features of this phone system is that after an initial set-up (entering the voice mail retrieval phone no., password, etc.) the phone periodically and automatically connects to that mailbox and informs us on the handset display that new voice mails have arrived. No need to separately dial into the mailbox anymore to find out whether or not we have new voice mails.

- Every now and then we get calls in the middle of the night from people who had the wrong number or mis-dialed - annoying, to say the least. Enter this phone system's Silent Mode: It enables individual handsets to not ring during a specified period of time, e.g. at night. Very useful.

- There is an option to activate Talking Caller-Id. When someone calls, the name of the caller is announced between rings. Another winner in my book, just as:

- The Call Block feature to permanently store unwanted callers in a list on the phone. These callers then only receive a busy signal when they attempt to call.

CONS:
- Phone holders are generally lightweight and tend to move around a bit when handsets are taken out, or are being put back in. Not a major problem at all though, just wanted to mention it.

- The system stores only 50 phone numbers. I don't think that is nearly enough in today's world where many people have home, work, and cell phones, i.e. 3 different numbers for one person would then need to be stored. I entered but a handful of my family and friends' numbers and in no time got dangerously close to capacity due to having several numbers for one person.

- The ring tones/melodies are not very good or appealing. I was really unpleasantly surprised. The most annoying are way-too-fast, synthesizer-like renditions of classical pieces. Oh my, Panasonic - this could have been done so much better. These tones/melodies sound like they come from the beginning of this technology, about 20 years ago. Ugh.

SUMMARY:
There are many features I really appreciate about this phone, nonetheless I am not totally blown away. After switching from 13-yr. old technology to this system I must say that I expected a bit more. It seems to me that Panasonic added a number of cool features but didn't improve on some of the older functions, such as phone book capacity and ring tones. But all in all still a good system.

UPDATE 8/17/2011:
I thought I'd add a quick update since it has been over a year that we have had this phone system:

I am still rather happy with this phone and have not encountered any of the bad issues the 1-star reviewers have seen. As a matter of fact, there is nothing that I would modify in my initial review - I still like/dislike the same features, but my favorite two features are definitely the Call Block feature (it is just great - the phone rings once and that's it. The call is then blocked immediately. Finally no pesky calls from ominous 800 numbers anymore), and the Silent Mode feature which we have set to being in effect after 11 pm so we won't get any (ringing) calls during the night.

One point I would like to add is that I found the batteries to hold up great. I have had calls that went on for hours at a time, and none of the handsets ever died on me. I think the longest call was around 5 hours (I know, I know...) and while the indicator bars went down to one, it was still working when I hung up. I was and am very impressed with that.
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 12, 2010
Bought these new phones since ours were on their way out; also Panasonic. I did a tremendous amount of research before selecting this particular telephone and decided to purchase at Amazon as the price was the best. I have to say that these new Panasonic telephones are the best we've ever had. The clarity is outstanding. The instructions are very clear and understandable making it easy to set the phone up the way you want. The only thing so far that I wasn't sure I would like is the voice announcement of who's calling. It was a little annoying at first but we got used to it. Depending on who's calling the voice-activated system doesn't always pronounce the name correctly, which can sometimes lead to a good laugh so if anything, the phone provides some comic relief. I also appreciate that you can block any calls that say "Out of Area", "Private Caller", or anything that does not have a telephone number attached to it. We live in Arizona and sometimes get slammed with unsolicited calls and the blocking feature takes care of all of that. The phone is easy to hold and contains belt clips for carrying around. We appreciate the larger, easy to see display window. Bottom line, we really like these phones. The price was excellent and I would recommend them to anyone. Panasonic really does make a great product!
on August 12, 2010
Very good phone for the cost. Good value. Has all the perks once you figure out how to operate & find everything. I have 2 add'l extension phones & they work great. What I really like is the numbers displayed on the phone are large so I don't have to put on my glasses to see who's calling!! BUT, this phone has voice caller ID. Whatever description you put in your "phonebook" on the phone is what the voice caller ID says when that person calls. It's really cool! Plus, if you're on the phone and another call comes in, you can see who's calling by the caller ID description on the handset. I like that too.
on November 3, 2010
This phone has great feature set and configuration is fairly straightforward. However, two of the selling points - Talking Caller ID and Call Block features, are useless because the phone (both base and all 3 handsets) is not able to detect Caller ID consistently, while my other phone in the house detect them properly (so, this is not a problem with my Caller ID service).

I did many tests. Even when calling from one same cell phone a few times, this phone would initially just ring and display no Caller ID in the first few tries. But, some later attempts may get it to display Caller ID.

Again, all my other corded and cordless phones were displaying Caller ID properly during all this time during testing.

So, sadly, there is either a design pr quality control issues with these batches of Panasonic phones (I had the same inconsistent Caller ID issue on another Panasonic answering system). If you depend on Caller ID for audio caller annoucement or Call Block, I'd suggest that you stay away from this phone.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 11, 2010
I bought these for my parents and they find them very easy to use. Big buttons and phone are big to hold against your neck/shoulder and they don't fall.

The best feature is the block feature. We were getting the same annoying sales call up to 5 times a day, I read the instruction book, and blocked the call. Not it only rings once and they hear a busy signal.

nice to have 3 phones in one to spread around the house
on February 14, 2011
What do you want out of your home or small office cordless, expandable phone system? Is it call quality? Check. Is it durability? Check. Is it ergonomics? Check. Is it useful features? Check. Is it user friendly? Check. Is it hilarious attempts by the Talking Caller ID to pronounce your friend's names? Check plus, my friends, check plus....

There's much to like about the design and feel of the cordless handsets. They feel sturdy, and the weight is good and well balanced. The bases, including the main base, are not overly large or cumbersome and can be placed throughout a home with minimal distraction. The display on the face of the phone is especially nice. The font is large enough to be read from a distance. This is a real plus, in my book.

I've dropped the handset a number of times... no problems. I even had a toddler hurl one, and it took the beating.

In terms of phone features, the phone stores 50 numbers, which is decent, but is one downside. More and more phones will start to store 1000 numbers before too long....but perhaps, for now, they are leaving this to your cell phone. You can name the handsets so that you can return them to a specific base, if you want to... this is not necessary for the function of the phone, but it's nice when you pick one up to know it came from the kitchen, or the bedroom, etc, for ease of returning it to its base for charging.

The phones stay charged, off base, for a considerable period of time. The handsets do alert you when the batter is going to die, and it's clearly indicated when a charge is needed, even when the phone is not "in use."

The phones can handle every calling feature offered by the various providers. I like the silent mode that you can enter which will keep the phones from ringing at certain times.... you can also disable the ringers on select phones without disabling the ring from all phones.

The Caller ID feature works flawlessly, and here is one of the features that I still find hilarious, even if my wife doesn't.... In the talk mode, the handset will announce the name of the caller, often with humerous results. In all seriousness, the Talking ID is fantastic for when you're in a room where the handset isn't, and you're interested in who's calling. With some television providers, Caller ID appears on the television when the phone rings, but for those times when you're in the middle of something and you're trying to decide whether to answer or not, the announcement of the caller is a really nice feature to have.

Finally, the range of the phones is pretty good, but not excellent. I've not had a problem outside of the house within "driveway distance" but the edge of the reception zone is definite and not particularly far. Accordingly, if you like to take one outside with you while working in the yard, etc. you may find the range a bit lacking. But that's the only "knock" on the phone as a whole, other than the limited number of phone numbers that may be stored.

We've had zero interference in the house with competing wireless technology, another happy plus. Call quality has been high since first plug in. Volume control of both the ringer and the phone call itself is easy and works well.

Ordinarily, I might knock one star off of the ranking for the range and the storage capacity, but I'm not inclined to do that here. The phone performs exceedingly well and for the price, broader range and perhaps number storage are things that really shouldn't be expected at this price point. Accordingly, the phone delivers, and his highly recommended.
on August 30, 2010
Overall very good phones. Handsets are lightweight and sound is very clear. No problem with range inside or outside of home. Much louder and clearer than my previous Motorola 2.4G set.

Many useful features. The talking Caller ID is helpful, but sometimes mispronounces the incoming call. The answering system works well, but if there is a bad connection on your end or incoming call, it can be difficult to understand the message. Also, there is no visual notification of messages that have been played, but are still on the system. Still, gave it 5 stars because of the sound quality of the phones.
on September 12, 2010
We had some pretty specific requirements for our phone: Three handsets, answering machine, backlit buttons, headset jack, and a shared phonebook. This phone seemed to be the only one that met our needs, and we've been happy with the purchase. The sound quality is good, and we like that certain handsets can have the ringer shut off (so as not to wake a sleeping toddler). There seems to be slight interference with our baby monitor, but not bad enough to warrant returning the product. The talking caller ID is nice if you're in the middle of something and don't want to run to see if it's a telemarketer or your mom calling you. The only think I wish this had was a display of how many messages are on the machine. I might come home and see the blinking message light, listen to the messages, and forget to tell my partner that her doctor's office called. This seems like it would be pretty easy to do, and I'm not sure why Panasonic skipped over that. Overall, though, it's a good phone, and as long as I remember to write down messages, we'll be all set.
on August 31, 2010
New cordless phones arrived as promised.
Easy to connect and to get started quickly.
A bit upsetting when a voice was heard from
the handset announcing WHO was calling!!
Had to turn that feature off.
Otherwise; excellent.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 10, 2011
06/10/2011 - I've been an advocate for the Panasonic phones for over two decades. The KX-TG6533B system has changed my tune.

In general, it seems like a good phone. It has features that I want and the call quality is pretty good, except for when it drops out. I've had the phone for about 18 months and a number of "quirky" issues have come up with this set. Sometimes I will go to answer a fully charged, ringing handset and I'll get a "no connection to base" message and miss the call. If I hit the off button a few times, it connects. Sometimes the phone drops a call for no reason. I'm in a flat and can walk down to the first floor and outside and maintain a good signal. Sometimes the phones simply turn off. Also, the display on two of the three handsets no longer lights up. It's frustrating and annoying. Lately, I've had eople complain that my voice is cutting out as if I were on a bad cell connection. This happens even standing next to the base unit. Finally, I've had several people say that they left messages that just disappear. I can't conclusively say that this happened, as I never got the messages, but it is suspect.

No, I would not recommend this item to anyone. I don't even know that I'll buy another Panasonic phone after this waste of approximately $80.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations