4.0 out of 5 stars Best product for cordless direct-to-sip phone service
Published on October 20, 2012 by David Boreham

3.0 out of 5 stars Using Panasonic SIP DECT outside of the USA
Published 3 days ago by E K.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best product for cordless direct-to-sip phone service, October 20, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System (Electronics)
If you're looking at this product you're probably trying to solve the same problem I had which was how to switch to get VoIP phone service for your home or small business that works cordless with minimal hassle and cost and what works with "wholesale" VoIP gateway services such as Vitelity and Callcentric (that is, not the heavily promoted retail services Vonage, Ooma and so on) ?

It turns out there's slim pickin's : you can use a traditional ATA (SIP to analog phone line adapter) but with that route you lose full integration between handset and service. Most regular VoIP phones (e.g. Cisco) are designed for a big corporate deployment with one phone per desk, which doesn't suit a home. WiFi SIP phones are expensive and have poor battery life (you may as well just use a SIP app on a smart phone).

Enter the Panasonic TGP500 : a product designed to do exactly what I need : its base unit goes in a closet, plugs into the network, and since it can be sited anywhere, easy to pair up with a UPS for power-fail-safe phone service. The DECT implementation is excellent -- I get coverage everywhere I need it, up to 500ft from the base unit, including in the basement and an office outbuilding.

Really the only negative issues I've found are 1) the management UI and associated documentation are not great, but in my experience crazy confusing setup seems to be something designed into the SIP protocol and almost a requirement from SIP compatible devices; and 2) the handset cost is a little steep compared to POTS DECT systems available from Costco, Best Buy etc (but of course those don't work with the SIP base unit).

Another plus is that the handsets use standard AAA NiMH rechargeable cells, rather than hard to find and expensive plugin battery modules.

After the initial battle with setup, I couldn't be happier. Finally free of legacy phone technology (and enjoying 10x lower monthly bills).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for business. If you're considering it for your Home, please read this!, August 22, 2013
Peter Nielsen "Perfectionist" (Wilmington, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System (Electronics)
For the past 2 years, I've been using a "higher end" Panasonic DECT 6.0 home telephone set with 4 handsets, talking CID, and answering machine. I was very happy with this setup, but I recently decided to switch to VOIP and was recommended the Panasonic KX-TGP500 because the sound quality supposedly is better compared to using an ATA with my existing phones. The fact that the the KX-TPA50 (handset of the KX-TGP500) look very similar to my previous KX-TG653 handsets made this a good and easy switch with low learning curve. After using these for a few weeks, I can say that the sound quality indeed is excellent and the handsets are very nice and high quality with a slightly better look and feel than my old Pannies. The downside is that the transition made me lose several features of my previous system that I had gotten used to:

-The phone does not have a talking CID
-The phone has no answering machine. While my VOIP provider does provide voice mail, you lose the ability to just let the phone ring and let the answering machine take the call while automatically putting the caller on speaker output. You no longer get the chance to listen real-time while the message is recorded and choose to pick up the phone and catch the caller while he/she is still talking to the recorder. These common features, that many take for granted, are lost.
-The handsets are not interconnected. Another person can't pick up a handset and join the conversation. On a positive note, this means that neither can somebody evesdrop, so this is for good and for bad.

This phone is designed for business use, and it shows. Line selection, which most home users will not need, is an integral feature. While the phone has very good sound, you really need to consider if you can live without the lost features. Maybe getting an ATA while waiting for Panasonic to release a similar model targeted for home use and equipped in that fashion makes sense.

Finally, I must say that apart for the missing functionality, I have no issues at all with this phone. It works flawlessly. Like clockwork! I can highly recommend it. The only reason for 4 stars is the high cost. I also feel that Panasonic could have thrown in talking CID as an optional feature at this price point. I recall paying not much more than $100 for my Panasonic POTS Dect 6.0 4-handset setup that I picked up at a local wholesale two years ago. In comparison, the KX-TGP500 with 3 additional KX-TPA50 sets ran me just shy of $400, so in comparison it is a rather expensive setup and I still question if keeping my old phones and going with an ATA would have been a smarter choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cordless VoIP phone., January 11, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System (Electronics)
3 simultaneous calls and up to 6 cordless handsets, perfect for small business or home office.

Range and call quality is amazing. All the basic features: Speakerphone, Transfer, Intercom, Message Waiting Indicator, etc.

Setup was easy, since our VoIP provider (voiSip) was able to do it remotely in about 2 minutes.

My only suggestion to Panasonic would be to allow more than 6 handsets. Not sure we'll ever need more than 3 or 4, but it would be "nice" to feel like the system could grow more if we needed it to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cordless phone system for a small office, February 3, 2014
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System (Electronics)
I looked and looked, and finally decided to try this system.

The product is very high quality office grade equipment, not "consumer" grade. All buttons have a nice feel.

BASE STATION:
Nice glossy black finish. Looks high tech and is wall mountable. It has an LED on the front that changes color to indicate the connection status... green means it is properly connected, orange means trouble. There is a Page Handsets button on the side that causes all handsets to ring in case you misplace one. Handset battery life in standby mode is about a week, so you should be able to find it before the battery dies. The only other feature is the ethernet port. Just connect the base station to your router, and you're good to go. The base station has a built in web-based control panel, so you can setup most of the features from your PC. Just get the IP address and enable "Embedded Web" access using a handset. This access turns back off after a short time, which can be a bit annoying. But it is a security feature, so probably not a bad idea to protect the system.

HANDSETS:
Speakerphone in the cordless handsets is a very welcome feature! The handsets are extremely lightweight and fit your hand and face. The screen is clear and easy to read. The buttons have a nice, crisp feel to them. The charging cradle is wall mountable, so you can stick them anywhere with AC outlet nearby. The batteries last a super long time (like a week) in standby mode, and talk time is great (several hours) due to DECT technology. If you should ever need replacement batteries, you can just buy rechargeable Duracell or Energizer NiMH batteries off the shelf, no weird proprietary batteries to hunt for.

USAGE:
We really like the Intercom feature, which has an "auto answer" speakerphone feature. When we ring a coworker's extension, they can respond without touching the handset. You can use this system with a single phone number/account and have it ring one, all or any combination of the base or handsets. You can also use separate accounts for each handset if you need to, since the system supports up to 8, which can be assigned in any combination. In our case, we just have one account that rings our receptionist and office manager. We signed up with a company called voiSip (highly recommended) and saving a TON of money versus our old telco. They helped us connect our voiSip account via a remote support session. They even helped us update the firmware. Call quality is superior to our old AT&T office phones, and also better than my own Vonage service at home. I purchased a similar Gigaset C610A IP system for my home and switched my home number over to voiSip.

WISH LIST:
The handsets show "New Voicemail" and have a small LED blinker, but the Gigaset brand handsets have a much brighter voicemail light. It would be nice if these could do 4 simultaneous calls instead of 3. And we may eventually want more than 6 handsets, so having up to 12 per base would be comforting (but probably not necessary in reality).

WISH LIST UPDATE: Some of our offices are now using this with the voiSip PBX systems, which let you tie together up to 4 base stations and 24 cordless handsets into a single group of extensions, each with its own voicemail box.

Overall, I would highly recommend this for an office with up to 6 people. For a larger office, you should probably consider using these with a PBX system, to get up to 24 handsets.

UPDATE July 2013: Be sure to update the firmware when available. Unlike other brands, Panasonic's menus do not have any means of setting the "Registration Retry" duration. This setting defaults to 3600 seconds (1 hour). Your router may kick the phone offline before 1 hour, causing inbound calls to fail (outbound calling works fine since it causes a registration event). I don't know about other service providers, but voiSip has a firmware customization they can apply to these phones that sets the registration to 3 minutes. The phones are rock solid once this patch has been applied. (This is only necessary if your phone is connecting to a voip provider or pbx system through a firewall.)

UPDATE Feb 2014: We have several of these now, at various offices around the country. Some of them are connected directly to a voiSip "Clone Line" account, and others are being used with a PBX system. Quality and durability has been excellent. We've just had to replace some of the batteries at this point. Luckily, they use standard AAA size rechargeable batteries... look for either Duracell or Energizer NiMH AAA batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great SIP phone system, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System (Electronics)
Using this phone with 3CX pbx/voip system in our home office. Sound quality is very good. straightforward installation. Be sure to use the web admin for configuration, it's a whole lot easier. The user's manual does not describe this, but it's easy to find configuration instructions online.
We have a 4-year old traditional Panasonic DECT system, and this new system has far better call quality and handset range.
Only thing we don't like- the selectable ring tones are not impressive. And even though it's a poor variety, there is no way to provision ring tones with the pbx system, a common feature amond SIP phone.
Still - a great item for the price, planning to buy another set for another location!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid SIP phone system., September 2, 2014
Tom Boucher "Computer Geek" (Wake Forest, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System (Electronics)
I was tired of paying so much for a lightly used landline, but still need the landline. I opted to switch to VOIP and wanted to upgrade the phones I used to have with these.

First, as a phone the devices work great. Poeple complained they couldn't hear me very well on my older ones, and haven't had that issue with these at all.

As a VOIP device, setup was very easy through the web interface. You have to 'turn it on' from a handset but after that you can do everything from the web. You can do it all from a handset if you hate life but the web site makes it much easier. It connected up easily no problem with my VOIP provider and we have had zero issues with it.

I've installed the base device in the garage next to the router/cable modem and set up some basic priority routing for the outbound VOIP packets and everything is great.

We got three extra handsets with it. They are all the same as the one that comes with it. They include two AAA rechargeable batteries instead of something proprietary like other handsets, so if they ever fail easy to find replacements. They last quite a while, a standard 'day at the office' with multiple hour long conference calls and they do not go more than one bar on the four bar scale for the battery icon. Recharge time is very fast.

3.0 out of 5 stars Using Panasonic SIP DECT outside of the USA, December 23, 2014
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System (Electronics)
I planned to set up the phone to work with an Atcom SIP PABX. There is no documentation on how to do this and the documentation from Panasonic is cryptic at best. It took about 6 hours of struggling to get this working. Then the power supply of the base station and the phone both failed. I checked and the voltage rating was 120VAC while we are using 230VAC. Most global system today such as laptops, computers and monitors support 110-250VAC, but not this Panasonic. So if you want to use it outside of the US you have to replace the power supplies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 27, 2014
Good phone

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter system for a SIP-based phone network, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System (Electronics)
I got these for use with a cloud-based PBX provider, because they didn't sell cordless phones that were pre-configured. This one was a little difficult to set up at first, mainly because the information provided by the host didn't really include everything I needed. I've purchased 8 or 9 of these, and they've become pretty easy to set up via the web interface. Once you understand what you're doing, these are a breeze. Once they're setup, the general user interface of the phone is pretty simple. The range is decent, and I've been pretty happy so far with the product overall.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously Difficult to Set Up, Feels Cheap, August 26, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System (Electronics)
I'm a pretty technical person and it took me a full day to get this phone working properly. There is a total lack of feedback when there is an issue and the documentation is COMPLETELY worthless. The only way I was able to determine what was happening when trying to get the phone configured was to insert a tap and sniff the network traffic. Totally unsuitable for the average person.

The phone itself also feels cheap. It's light plastic. The speaker is not particularly loud and requires precise alignment with your ear to really hear anything at all.

Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System