5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camera

2.0 out of 5 stars Impressive specs but a let down in performance
Published 15 months ago by D. L. Howe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camera, May 23, 2013
John McQuitty (San Angelo, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Digital Camera (Black) (Electronics)
I have had the Panasonic ZS30 about a week now. It is my 5th TZ/ZS Panasonic camera I've owned, including the excellent ZS20. However, the ZS30 is the best yet. I'm not a beginner. I've been making pictures since the 1960s or before with all kind of cameras, and I've sold a few pictures over the years too. Currently I have the ZS30, the ZS20, a couple of "enthusiast" compact cameras, and a fairly nice and complete DSLR set up - one of several I've owned. The DSLR gathers dust for the most part - too heavy with a bunch of lenses and other photographic "stuff."

Getting right to the heart of things: The ZS30 is a great little camera - takes great pictures in good light and also in low light. It also has a plethora of fun and useful features, and a great Leica lens. You can shoot on full automatic or take control with aperture, shutter, or full manual priority. There are 14 or so "art filters, plus about 16 "scene" modes. For the younger generation there is WiFi, and NFC, and, of course there is GPS. The camera is easy to carry, excellent build quality - and, did I mention, takes excellent pictures. I highly recommend it.

Some people may worry about the high pixel count (18 MP). Don't! The improvements in the sensor and the processor pretty much take care of that, and pictures are certainly as good as the ZS20, which I also have, and better than the other, older Panasonic super zooms that I have had. It is not a DSLR, but the pictures - good light and low light are certainly very good for this type of camera up to about ISO 3200 (Yes, there is some noise, but pictures are certainly "usable" for what most people who buy this kind of camera will use them for.) Generally speaking though, I'd use a top end ISO 1600 and below for normal, everyday use. I usually have it set to ISO 200 - works fine.

Everyone is worried about blurry pictures. Left to its own devices the ZS30 does not give blurry pictures. It is quite a capable little camera. That's not to say you can't take blurry pictures with the ZS30. You certainly can. Here are some ideas to minimize blurry pictures with the ZS 30 or any other camera for that matter: Most important of all - Be sure the image stabilization is ALWAYS turned ON - unless you are on a tripod - then turn it off. Then: 1. Neither the ZS30 nor the subject should be moving when you take the shot - i.e. hold the camera still, and shoot when the subject is not moving - (some exceptions when using very high shutter speeds, the tracking focus mode, fireworks, moving water, and other "creative" stuff). 2. To hold the camera still, hold on to it like you own it and are proud of it, with BOTH hands, and not with just the thumb and forefinger only. 3. Keep your elbows tucked in to your sides. 4. Lean against a wall, a table, a chair, and/or look for something to rest the camera on. 5. Shoot with the reciprocal of the lens extension for a shutter speed, i.e. At full extension of 480 mm (in 35 mm terms) - (You can estimate it if not at full extension.), keep the shutter speed no lower than 1/500 second OR 1/125 second (2 stops) if the image stabilization feature is turned on. If you have a REAL steady hand, maybe you can cheat down to 1/60 second. (You can adjust the aperture, the ISO, and/or the lens extension to achieve these shutter speeds, but anything less will almost undoubtedly result in a blurry picture.) 6. Wait for the camera to focus - when you hear the beep (if turned on) or when the focus area boundary turns green on the LCD. It doesn't take long with the fast Panasonic focus speed, but I've seen some folks beat even a DSLR to focus. 7. Press the shutter button gently, don't "stab" at it. 8. Don't let the camera pick the focus point. Do it yourself. I mostly use the center point only - smallest one - unless using tracking focus mode. 9. Shoot on aperture priority and set the widest aperture available (ZS 30 will adjust it as you zoom.) or shoot in "sports" mode to assure the fastest shutter speed for the ISO set and the light available. 10. Don't shoot ANYTHING with a shutter speed of less than 1/30 sec unless the camera is "braced." 11. Walk closer to the subject if you can, and retract the lens to fill the frame at the new, shorter distance. Long lenses, fully extended are much harder to hold still than "shorter " ones. Note: The 30X Sony HX50 may not be such a bargain at full extension unless braced or on a tripod - a 700 mm something lens, handheld - REALLY?! - and about that atmospheric haze... Note: You can easily have a 30X lens equivalent with th ZS30 - either by slightly lowering the number of pixels used (best way - all optical lens magnification) - or by using the "extended" optical lens mode at full resolution. I like the first way - pictures seem sharper, and there is still plenty of resolution for high quality prints. 12. If all else fails, use a tripod (Heaven forbid!).

Added November 22, 2013 - 13. Panasonic's "light speed" focusing is very fast and pretty much eliminates shutter lag. It is a FAST camera. Secondly - To eliminate blur from pictures of moving subjects - as in sports, if iA mode is not doing it for you, - shoot in "Sports" mode, and the camera will set the fastest shutter speed for the settings you already have on your camera (i.e. ISO, aperture for the zoom extension you are at, etc.) If you still get blur, or if the exposure icons on the LCD are showing red, increase the ISO or shoot in "Shutter priority" mode and set a fast shutter speed - up to 1/2000 sec. (Try 1/500 sec first.) Again, you may have to increase the ISO to get a properly exposed picture (green exposure icons) when you increase the shutter speed. Finally, in either case, set the focus mode to continuous/tracking, and shoot in burst mode. (Set these up before you go to sports or shutter priority) (I mostly use 5 fps burst speed - allows for focus on each shot in the burst.)

Added July 6, 2013 - One more little thing - (OK,OK. I forgot it!) 14. Shoot within the focusing distances of the AF setting you have set or you WILL have blurry pictures. "Standard" AF mode at full lens extension is about 6 1/2 feet to infinity. Closer than 6 1/2 feet and the picture WILL be blurry. With AF mode set to "Macro Tele" you can focus from a little over 3 feet to infinity at full lens extension. At "Super Macro" AF mode your focus distance is limited from about 2 inches to about 3 feet, ans it will NOT focus to infinity. The macro modes are found at the "down" press of the rotary dial. Hey! it's easy, but if you are having trouble focusing, check that you are in the "correct" AF mode.

Flash is another "scary" thing for many people. First remember the flash is only "good" to about 10 feet, so "be within range." You cannot adjust the flash output on the ZS30, but the camera will do that for you if using "fill" flash mode (always on) or full auto, within certain parameters (Read the manual.) The "sync speed" - about 1/200 sec - will "freeze" most "portraits," but if the subject is moving, you may still get a blurry picture. For best results, use "slow sync" or night portrait mode, just watch that the shutter speed doesn't get below what you can comfortably handhold, AND tell your subject not to move for one full second after the flash goes off. You can use the flash in bright sunlight also - to reduce the dark shadows that are characteristic of photos taken in bright sunlight. To get even better flash shots, use a diffuser - two or three layers of facial tissue held over the flash will do wonders - just make sure your fingers are not covering the flash. Another hint: Set the camera to "manual" mode, and set the correct exposure for the background. Turn the flash on normal or "always on" i.e. "fill" flash mode. In this case, NOT slow sync or you will overexpose the background). Then take your picture. The background will be nicely exposed, and most likely, so will your subject - if in range of the flash. Use the diffuser trick, and things should be really good.

Back to the ZS30. The ZS20 and the ZS30 are fairly comparable, but the ZS30 has some significant improvements IMHO. Better LCD - 920k dot resolution compared to 460k for the ZS20, and better touch screen capability. 18 MP compared to 14 MP for the ZS20 - Yes, there is more detail in the ZS30 picts. Cancel playback mode and return to shooting mode with a touch of the shutter button - something Panasonics' have needed for years. More movie choices. Added number of "art filters" - These are kind of fun. High Speed video shooting. Easier access to panorama mode. Better image stabilization - 3 way in stills, 5 way in video. "Starry Sky" scene mode back. - good for shooting fireworks and other creative stuff. The ZS30 can take a 13.5 MP still picture during video, compared to a 3.5 MP one with the ZS20. Longer lasting battery. In short, the ZS30 is just a more "complete" camera, although the ZS20 takes wonderful pictures also.

Both the ZS20 and the ZS30 have Panasonic's "light speed" AF. Solves a MAJOR problem with earlier compact cameras. Both cameras have no purceptable shutter lag, and being able to adjust the size of the focus area, not just the focus points is a big plus. Of course there is face detection/face recognition, and tracking focus mode, now with up to 5 frames per second WITH focus for each frame or up to 60 fps with initial focus and lower megapixels. Both cameras have vastly improved white balance compared to earlier Panasonic cameras. Both have in-camera editing - kind of hit and miss though, but fun. There are other neat things - too many to mention. Handheld night shot works wonders on both cameras as does HDR scene mode. Build quality of both cameras is excellent.

Yes, you CAN blur the background with a compact - set "macro telephoto" mode, largest aperature (smallest f/ number), extend the lens to maximun extension, move in as close as you can so that the camera still focuses, make sure the background is "some distance" behind the subject, etc. - or - shoot wide angle, lens fully retracted, f/3.3 (smallest numbered f/ stop - largest lens opening), set super macro mode, and move in to where the camera will just focus, background again "some distance" behind the subject, etc.

For travel, easy carry, long lens, and good pictures, the ZS30 really can't be beat. ZS30 has LOTS of travel features.

Finally, the best camera, as always, is the one you have with you. The Panasonic ZS30 is idealy suited for that, and it takes very good pictures on its own settings, and even better ones if the photographer is knowledgeable enough to adjust some of the settings to suit the situation and light. (Hint: Read the manual.) Beware of putting much stock in the review of anyone who simply blasts away in full auto mode (the camera picks the focus points in full auto, and it can't read your mind - YET - as to what you really want in focus.), and then condemns the camera. What shutter speed was used? If it was 1/60 second or less at full extension (480 mm equivalent) and no bracing, pictures probably will be blurry - with ANY camera, even a DSLR.

The Panasonic ZS30 is compact enough to carry easily, has an incredably long, compact Leica lens, more than enough low light capability for most people - unless you are a pixel peeping nerd or a pro who has to make a living off of his/her talent as a photographer, and it has more neat features that most people will ever use. Is it a DSLR? NO. Is it a darned good compact camera? Yes. Is it an excellent, full-featured, long lens travel camera? Absolutely, yes! Remember, taking "good" pictures is a duel effort between the camera and the photographer. Don't always blame the camera. Figure it out! Read the manual. Get the most out of your camera. It has lots to "give." Relax, quit worrying, and enjoy your ZS 30. Thus ends the "War and Peace" review.

5.0 out of 5 stars ZS30 review and comparison to ZS7, May 9, 2013
I received my ZS30 about three weeks ago and, with one exception, like it much more than my ZS7.

I actually rate this at 4.5 stars, but gave it 5 because the camera deserves more than 4.

Contrary to one of the other reviews, the ZS30 is smaller and lighter than the ZS7. It is a tad taller, but thinner and not as wide (4.26 x 2.32 x 1.09 inch VS. 4.06 x 2.36 x 1.3″). The thinness makes it easier to fit in your pocket. It is also slightly lighter than the ZS7. The rubberized grip is a great improvement too.

The extra zoom is a real plus. I have what's called an essential tremor so stabilization is key for me. The ZS30 has 5 axis correction, which beats the ZS7.

Full HD video is fabulous. I go to concerts and soccer events (for my godson) and the full HD is much clearer than the ZS7.

The LCD is much clearer with twice the dots (920 vs. 460). The lens has been upgraded. Higher burst mode.

In Portrait mode and auto-flash the ZS30 more accurately reflects the correct colors. I have hardwood floors that I use for color comparisons. The ZS7 makes the color much too warm and deep while the ZS30 is almost dead on.

Probably the best new features? Wi-Fi and NFC.

The Wi-Fi capability in the Panasonic app is great. I have used Canon DSLR's for quite some time and loved being able to use my iPhone to take family-type pics without having to run to pose before the shot was taken!

Both cameras are equally bad in low-light pictures.

There are two categories in which the ZS7 wins.

Stereo microphones (which I don't care about).

Video aperture is better at adjusting when filming in varying light conditions. When recording a soccer match where one end of the field is brightly lit and the other end is in shadows, the ZS30 has a hard time adjusting, where as the ZS7 is quick to change.

Be wary of the instructions on the Panasonic web site for upgrading the ZS30 firmware. If they include having to take 2 photos, the instructions and the file are the wrong ones. Go to this link for the correct file and instructions: [...]

Overall, the ZS30 is worth the cost of investing in a new point and shoot. I've had the ZS7 for a while, so it's been dropped a few times, the LCD is a little scratched up and the focus ring can get sticky. I'll give it to one of my nieces or nephews to play around with as their first camera.

2.0 out of 5 stars Impressive specs but a let down in performance, August 8, 2013
I bought the ZS30 in hopes it would replace/upgrade my aging and much loved ZS15. Unfortunately it didn't meet my needs so after just two days I returned it to Amazon. Short story – long; here is what I learned. I am a very experienced photographer and for the past seven or eight years I have used Panasonic cameras exclusively. For vacation and “serious” photography I love my GX1 (a micro four thirds replacement for my previous Panasonic DSLR). For sporting events and video the Panasonic FZ200 just can't be beat. For everything else there has always been a Panasonic Travel Zoom (ZS series here in the US).

I carry my SZ15 during my daily horseback rides, on bicycle rides, aboard the boat and generally everywhere. Since it is the camera I almost always have with me, I take most of my pictures using it. Here is why I won't be able to replace it with the new model. As the number of pixels increases so does the workload of the Image Stabilization system. Additionally, as the zoom goes up need for stabilization increases. In the ZS30 I found the combination of increased resolution and increased zoom has outpaced the technology for image stabilization – which means hand held shots will produce lots of blurry pictures. For me, that would severely limit my ability to shoot from horseback.

In addition, the large zoom range in such a small camera has necessitated a rapid reduction in the light gathering ability of the camera. As the zoom is increased the f/number goes up rapidly(reduced light gathering ability) – making for longer shutter speeds. Again, that means as you zoom the tendency will be for the pictures to get blurry. I found the camera straining if I shot into a shadow – even on a bright day.

What sealed the deal for me was the touch screen. While that might be a useful feature on a studio camera it is insane on such a small camera. Every time I lifted the camera for a shot the camera would beep beep in alarm because my thumb had wandered onto the screen. Search as I might I was unable to turn off the touch screen.

While I am taking the time to write this review I want to cover pixel count. If you intend to print a photograph for an album or a magazine you need about 300 pixels per inch from the camera. So a 12 megapixel camera (4000x3000 pixels) can print a photograph 12 inches by 10 inches at 300 dots per inch easily. If you are going to enlarge the picture and hang it on the wall, as I frequently do; you will be looking at the picture from five or ten feet away. In that case you only need 125 to 150 pixels per inch from the camera and you can still enlarge to 15 x 20 easily.

My recommendation is to stick to no more than 12 megapixels and no more than 200mm equivalent zoom for your small camera. As it happens – Panasonic (and their competition) make a few small cameras that don't compromise their pictures with overlong zooms and too many pixels. Usually these small and capable cameras are called enthusiast cameras. I intend to give the Panasonic Lumix LF1 a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best in the series since ZS7, June 22, 2013
ubat (Sao Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
I've owned several models in this family, and regretted updating the ZS7 to the ZS10 -- irreversible, because I gave the ZS7 to my mom! The ZS20's specs and reviews didn't make it worth the expense, so I waited (and meanwhile tried another compact, which I didn't like) for the next one. When the ZS30 came out, I jumped at it, especially because I was about to go on a big trip and wanted a versatile, small and light camera with wide angle when the situation didn't warrant pulling out the big guns (dSLR with a long lens for birds).

I'm quite happy with the ZS30's results after the trip, with very nice landscape and general interest shots. Autofocus is reliable, exposure is always spot-on and quality is fine if you don't pixel-peep (I decided to use it at 16 MP instead of 18) or want to cover your living room wall with a print. The flash is on par with compact cameras, and low-light photos were a mixed bag: some very good, others very grainy. Movie mode was simple and fun to work with, although I prefer stills.

Ergonomics are fine, and I like the hand grip, which prevents the camera from slipping. What I don't like is the position of the WiFi button: it is easy to press it inadvertently, and that will stop the camera on its tracks. Especially upsetting when you are setting up a shot and suddenly nothing happens. Also, as with previous ZS models, the mode dial is too sensitive (it could use a lock) and changes position easily. "Mode dial in the wrong position" is a message I got tired of very quickly.

The GPS, which I insist upon, is a great feature and works right out of the box -- differently from another compact I owned, which required me to read manuals, load files into the SD card and was finicky on a good day. I did nothing and in the middle of nowhere the coordinates were correct and the ZS30 was asking me whether I wanted to write the place name onto the image. The option of exporting the GPS log into a .kml file is very useful as well.

Of course, leaving the GPS on takes a toll on battery life, which is nothing to write home about even when it is off. Having spare batteries is mandatory, but Panasonic's (and other manufacturers') in-camera battery charging method is downright annoying: insert empty battery in camera, charge, remove full battery, insert another empty battery, charge... So I found an external charger (in Japan!) that works with the model's battery until Panasonic releases its own. Yes, unfortunately the ZS30 does not use the same battery as previous ZS's...

Which reminds me of another annoyance regarding Panasonic: whenever they release a camera with a new battery, it takes MONTHS until spare Panny batteries are available for it. Being on a deadline and unable to find original Panasonic batteries, I shopped around Amazon and nearly hit a wall. At the time (late April) there was only one brand, Big Mike's. I bought two batteries, blind, and hoped for the best. To my surprise, they lasted longer than the original battery!

So, with two spare batteries and an external charger, the ZS30 really delivered and I am happy with it. It is now my carry-around multipurpose camera, and will last me a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best travel super zoom yet, August 9, 2013
C. McCollough (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
For me, a great camera is one that is with me always and one that lets me capture those spontaneous shots that bring smiles to my face when I get home, or comments from the audience (along with questions about "how did you do that!) This super zoom travel camera does that and more. For those who remember the old Lee Majors TV show "The Six Million Dollar Man", this is your bionic eye that lets you see more detail and record real time images and movies than your physical eye is capable of recording..... let alone remembering!

As others have explained in great detail, this is the camera you want IN YOUR POCKET when ever you travel, visit grandchildren, or head out the door for fun day. Though thicker than a cell phone, it fits easily and comfortably in one's pocket, and with the improved rubberized grip, I can pull from my pocket, hit the power button and snap a candid picture in full auto in one smooth motion. Rarely do I miss that perfect candid shot because of the mechanics of setting up the camera. It takes another 2 seconds for the movie mode to be "ready to shoot" from a pocket quick draw... so the camera still has room for improvement.

The feature list is significant, with many enhancements. Here are the ones I found most significant during a two week mission trip in the barrios of Lima, Peru:
1) The five axis optical image stabilization works very well, especially in wide angle. When combined with iMovie movie stabilization, viewers will think you were using a steady cam.
2) This version of GPS and GPS logging seems to be more power efficient. I had no battery life issues leaving this on, and found the ability to overlay current location on a map quite handy. I had downloaded the maps for South America to the memory card, and with no cell phone coverage, my iPhone was worthless as a GPS tracker. But this camera worked flawlessly.
3) Picture and video quality are improved and more than adequate for home and semi-pro use. Audio is limited by range of the built in microphone, but short of using a video camera with remote microphone input capability, quite adequate. No zoom audio noise when shooting videos (unlike earlier versions).

Not perfect, but best yet. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Pocket Camera, but it has its limitations, July 30, 2013
I have had this camera for several weeks, purchased with the hope that I could use it as a substitute for a Canon T4i with an L - 70-300 on travels. You can't and don't. It's a modern, well finished, pocket camera loaded with many extras, some of which you may not want. A major problem with it in the field, ie., outside, is that the bright and sharp LCD isn't viewable. I mostly fixed this thanks to a commentator on a review I have since removed, with a Clearviewer device. You can find this on Google, not on Amazon. It's a fold-able lens one section of which screws into the tripod socket. The lens then sits about an inch from the LCD and yes you can see the LCD in bright light. But a warning, the telephoto lens isn't a Canon and from my first few forays, I won't be printing birds or butterfly pictures with it. I am aware of a previous reviewer who counsels shooting telephoto pictures very rapidly. When I do this with the Canon, I turn off the image stabilizer at 1/500 or less, so to speak. Perhaps that will work. Travel, yes. Convenience, yes. Good pictures indoors, yes and often without flash. Also, the manual which comes on a disc can be easily downloaded from Panasonic and I stored it on my IPad. But, 314 pages is a bit long and awkward...N.B. if you want to change the shutter speed or exposure in S mode, I suggest you skip the manual and press the little button on the camera back called Exposure/Map. Found it, good.
Several other points. The GPS does work and like all portable GPS devices it depletes the battery very quickly. Come to think of it the battery life even with the GPS is fair to poor on the curve. I've not tried the Wi-Fi and except for a quick download to a smartphone, I not sure why one would use it rather than taking the SD card out and using a reader and a USB plug. But each to his own. Lastly, I bought this camera $high and was annoyed to the the price drop off in a day or so. I expressed this as a concern to Amazon that they need to monitor these kind of unamusing rapid changers. I thought about sending it back and then decided not to. It's clearly an improvement over several older pocket cameras I have owned. But again, a warning, you likely will need help with seeing your subjects unless its a cloudy day or you are inside. It's worth between $300-350 now, no more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for stills and HD video. I replaced my camcorder with this!, November 24, 2013
John (Columbus, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This is the best camera I've ever owned. Admittedly I am not a professional photographer, but I do like to take a good photograph and know something about how to do it. The DMC-ZS30 has enough features to handle the point and shoot situation automatically, as well as manual settings for when you want or need to be creative. The WiFi connectivity is nice for transferring photos to other connected devices like tablets and smartphones without having to go through a desktop computer first. The zoom is amazing and more than most people will need. Autofocus tracking is great for dynamic situations because it holds focus on the moving target that you choose. Material and build quality are excellent, with most parts, including the small spring loaded USB connector door made of metal rather than plastic.

The feature I like the most is the HD Video capability of this camera. Although we wanted a new still camera too, our old one worked just fine. This purchase was really to replace a Mini DV camcorder that recently died. When I made the purchase I wasn't sure that a still camera could produce a good enough video to replace my old analog camera, but it is outstanding. The videos are clear and sharp, focus and audio work well, although you have to be careful to not let the zoom lever slip off of your finger when shooting or you'll hear the click on the video. Also, be careful of how tightly you zoom in while shooting video; with the lens zoomed in it's difficult to keep the picture steady and you risk losing your subject, or at best the video will be jerky and/or blurry.

Tip: As with all digital cameras you will need a SD card to store the images. If you intend to shoot video, especially HD video, you will want the largest card that you can reasonably afford. HOWEVER, you do NOT need the /fastest/ card available, just one that is faster than the camera. SD cards have read/write speeds. The DMC-ZS30 records at less than 40 mb/sec, so you don't need to pay for a faster card. I bought a 64GB Class 10 40mb/sec card and it works great.

Overall I love the camera, but there are a few things that keep it from receiving 5 stars. For the most part though they are things that I would have liked to have included for either convenience, or to not have to pay extra for, or both:

1. The camera goes through its battery faster than most point & shoot cameras for several reasons, but with only one battery provided you end up buying and carrying extra batteries just to be safe. Also, the supplied battery is not the largest available; there are aftermarket batteries with up to 50% more amp-hour capacity that don't cost very much. I bought two. This is not to say that you'll constantly have to change batteries, you probably won't, but on an all-day outing shooting stills and videos, and the camera kept on most of the time (to hold the GPS lock), we exhausted the OEM battery right at the end of the day. Our old still camera would have gone for two or three days on a charge, but it wouldn't have been zooming as much or talking to satellites either. Bottom line on the battery: Buy spares and an external charger, which brings me to...

2. The camera doesn't come with an external charger. Battery charging is done through the USB cable attached to the camera and plugged into a wall outlet. That's fine if you get everything you want on the card and then come home and charge up, but if you find yourself low on battery in the field, you may be out of battery before you're done. A standard wall charger allows you to charge one battery while you use another, and there are aftermarket models that work with a car power (cigarette lighter) adapter for on-the-road charging. They're not expensive and I strongly recommend getting one.

3. GPS often takes a long time to lock in, and if you turn the camera off it has to reacquire the satellites again. This uses battery power and I'm often faced with either taking the shot without a location stamp or waiting, which of course means that I need to add location information later (because I'm not going to miss a shot). Not a huge deal, since our old camera couldn't do this at all, but I was expecting something more like my wife's smartphone which stamps all photos and always knows where it is. I haven't decided yet whether to just save battery power and turn off the GPS entirely, but I'm thinking about it.

4. Auto focus can be slow at times. Most of the time it's excellent, but at low light levels and other demanding situations it can be slow to respond.

5. Raw AVCHD video is saved in MTS format and cannot be exported into MP4 or other more useful formats directly. You can record directly to MP4 format but are limited to 24 fps. To get 1080p and 30 fps you will need to record to AVCHD and then convert the image to another format for editing. There are several good MTS converters on the market for a reasonable price, but its an extra cost.

These are minor issues in my mind. I am very happy with the camera and plan to use it for a very long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great feature-rich go-anywhere camera -- As long as you have a spare battery, November 10, 2013
LF Homeowner (Lake Forest, CA) - See all my reviews
Took ZS30 on a European vacation and used it almost exclusively for 1200+ photos. The last pocketable camera I had was a few years old, so decided to update, particularly for the 20x zoom. ZS30 works great both for point-and-shoot snapshots and manually composed photos (Trevi fountain, Parthenon, Santorini, etc.). Absolutely love the 20x zoom. Makes in-camera composition a snap. Sure, with its comparatively tiny, complex zoom lens, its 18MP images aren't in the same league as an SLR with a 500mm f4.5 lens, but watching other folks lug around their SLRs on a hot day in Athens had me seriously wondering how much better their images *really* are. I'm thinking not much. For handheld static images, low-light can be remarkable. To reduce sensor noise the ZS30 fires the shutter several times in quick succession to integrate multiple exposures into a single image. Late night images in Rome illuminated only by street lamps came out surprisingly well saturated and noise free. For a pocketable point-and-shoot it does the job. (#1 credo of photography: The best camera is the one you have with you.) As others have observed, battery life is poor. After an overnight charge, battery clunked-out by midday a couple times -- with GPS off. With GPS enabled its worse. Lesson learned: Always carry a charged spare battery. Another complaint: Wifi setup is horrible (way too many options) and please, Panasonic, eliminate the dedicated Wifi button on the back (or at least allow me to repurpose it!). Its a gimmick and just gets in the way. I can't say how many times I accidentally pressed it with my thumb while setting up a shot. I can think of many better uses for that button (spot metering comes to mind). Auto-focus, auto-metering, face detection and image stabilization all worked fine. HD video quality is great. Flash coverage is sufficient for snapshots (edge falloff is quite noticeable). But what'd you expect? Its a pocketable 20x zoom! Overall, this is a great little go-anywhere camera -- as long as you carry a spare battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera, November 30, 2013
I've used a ZS7 for a few years and like it. I bought a ZS30 to gain additional zoom because we were going on a safari in Botswana as well as visiting many other locations. I did manage to get some great pictures using only auto mode. Zooming all the way out can be trying because its difficult to keep track of the subject, especially if its moving . I did manage though to get some great shots at maximum zoom.
Some of my pictures compare favorably to those taken by National Geographic photographers with their huge cameras and ancillary equipment who were some of our accompanying "experts" for this trip.
I have one negative comment. The camera is all black, including the controls. Printing on the controls is tiny and gray. I have a very difficult time discerning the controls, particularly in low light. My ZS7 is much easier to see. Its blue with silver controls and black markings. The exterior design of both cameras is very similar.
Both cameras have GPS, which is a nice feature.
I took over 1200 pictures and videos on this trip and am very impressed with the results.
Battery life does tend to be somewhat shorter than with the ZS7. This didn't present a problem because I had bought a charger and 2 spare batteries. On any one day I never needed more than 2 batteries, but had that third just in case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Average Joe, May 19, 2014
I'm not a photographer. I don't know an F-stop from a bus stop. When I buy a camera, I just want to put it in auto and take pictures that look great. This camera goes above and beyond for that type of person. If you're not trying to become the next Ansel Adams, but instead just want a reliable camera to take candid shots of your kids, pets and family, this is the camera for you. I get a lot of compliments of the pictures I take with this camera. My brother told me he liked the photos taken with this camera more than the photos taken from a pro at his daughter's wedding. To me, that says it all. If you want to step up the quality of photos you're taking with your cell phone, I would highly recommend this camera.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Digital Camera (Black)
$399.99 $269.00