4.0 out of 5 stars Same as Kenmore for Half the price!
This vac might actually be worthy of a 5-star review, but I haven't used it long enough to have that strong of an opinion, so I'm giving it 4 stars for now.

Published on January 8, 2011 by mm

2.0 out of 5 stars Revised review - died after one year
Published on December 26, 2010 by L. Young

4.0 out of 5 stars Same as Kenmore for Half the price!, January 8, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic MC-CG902 Full Size Bag Canister Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)

I never thought I'd buy a vacuum cleaner online -- I'm so picky about little things like ergonomics, how well it cleans, etc, and I know that shipping back an unwanted vac would be so expensive that I'd end up keeping a vac I didn't like.

However, I had looked everywhere in town for a vac that did well in Consumer Reports testing but didn't cost a lot, and I'd had no luck. So, I went ahead and took a chance on this vac; it did really well in the latest Consumer Reports testing and had overall good reviews on Amazon. (BTW, don't confuse Consumer Reports with Consumer Digest; the latter is basically paid advertising designed to look like tests/reviews!).

I've been using my new vacuum cleaner for a few days and really like it. I had a Kenmore Whispertone before that finally died and was surprised that this is almost identical - right down to the connecting pins! It seems just as solid in quality & construction as my Kenmore (which lasted at least 10 years).

The vacuum is a tad smaller and lighter (both the canister & the powerhead)than my Kenmore, which I like because it's easier to maneuver. However, if your house is all carpet (mine's 50-50 carpet & wood), you might prefer the deeper cleaning that a heavier upright has.

I ordered some pricey bags because I didn't think I'd be able to find Panasonic C-5 size bags in town (since I couldn't find a Panasonic vac cleaner). Turns out my old Kenmore Whispertone bags fit. You don't have to order the pricey Panasonic C-5 bags, just take the bag that comes with it to your local KMart or Sears and pick one the same shape.

Pros:
- Handle makes it easy to use on steps.
- Solid construction (steel tubes that really latch together)
- Good quality brushes (real hair bristles on the dust brush).
- Cord rewind button and it really works!
- Sturdy but not unreasonably heavy.
- Good Consumer Reports test results, especially on emissions (important in our house full of allergic folks!).
- Pretty standard canister bag shape.
- It also came with the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, which I didn't know.

Cons:
- Color is a dark maroon red, not a cheery red like I'd thought. Probably doesn't matter to most people but I have to store mine out in the open so I like happy colors.
- No "power paw" attachment (basically a small powered brush head) for getting pet hair out of upholstered furniture. Fortunately my old Kenmore one fits. But it would be better if Panasonic at least offered this as an accessory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Machine, Good Value, February 18, 2011
Overall, I'm happy with this product. It gets the job done better and more efficiently than the canister and upright vacuums I was using.

Pros:
- Off/floor/carpet slide switch is on the top of the handle - super convenient to run from rugs to bare floor and back.
- Good suction - picks up small rocks.
- The power head is low profile - gets under the toe kicks and sofa.
- The long cord reaches several rooms, rewinds.
- The extra floor attachment is ~9" and so gets into the nooks and crannies the powerhead won't.
- The wand / powerhead clip on the unit when upright so it stores compactly in the closet.
- Powerhead is light, a breeze to whip around the room, but see handle con.

Cons:
- The carpet height indicator is hard to see in anything but bright light.
- The handle rotates freely 90d ccw, which is good for getting under the sofa if you're right-handed,
but not so good if you're left handed. Also makes the power head harder to control when on rugs/carpet.
- Tool & bag lids are hard plastic, meaning you'll have to be reasonably gentle with them.
- The extra attachments, excepting the one for the floor just slide on, rather than clip.
- the headlight goes off in the floor mode.
- The powerhead doesn't get up the dust film on hard flooring when the brush is off. I got a 1-1/4" x 14" wide floor brush, which works great and is much lighter than the powerhead.

Info:
- This unit uses 3 filters:
o Bag: 8" x 13.5" Panasonic MC-V150M | type C-5 | Kenmore 50558, 5055, 50557. # to a pack & bag material vary.
o Hepa: 4 5/16" x 2 13/16" x 13/16", Panasonic MC-V194H | Kenmore EF-2 | #86880. 1 to a pack.
o Motor protector: 5" x 5" x 3/8", Panasonic? | Kenmore CF-1. 2 to a pack.
- Wand fits 1-1/4" attachments like 1 & 1/4 inches DELUXE FLOOR BRUSH for most vacuum cleaners.
- Motor head is reasonably powerful, but less so than my old Eureka upright.
- The powerhead roller has brushes on both sides, rather than a beater bar & brush.

Update:
I've used this unit 1x a week for 3 years or so now. Still working great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Revised review - died after one year, December 26, 2010
L. Young "lisafx" (Clearwater, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I got this vacuum after initially purchasing another brand and sending it back. This is exactly what I want a vacuum to be. It's lightweight to pull around. I had a similarly designed Hoover for 15 years and this is as powerful as it was, but much lighter and easier to maneuver. Cleverly designed so the handle can rotate to go under beds, etc. without too much stooping on my part, which is good since I have issues with my back. Best of all, it has really powerful suction, even on my deep pile carpets. It was also very easy to put together - I was able to put it together without help from my husband, who gets called in on the tough jobs. It would have gotten 5 enthusiastic stars from me, except for one minor design flaw. I like to use the brush attachment for dusting, but this b rush is so wide and narrow (what was wrong with round brushes?) that when you turn on the vacuum, the suction causes the soft plastic of the brush to close up completely! So basically, the brush tool is useless. I had to use the one from my old vacuum cleaner, which fit snugly enough, even if it doesn't clip into place. Overall, I would still buy this vacuum again, but I will be looking for a better designed brush attachment.

***************Revised 02-14-12******************

After only a year of very light use, this vacuum cleaner blew a relay. I have a cleaning service every other week who use their own vacuum, so I maybe used this cleaner 10 times or so over the course of the year. The relay costs over $125 to replace, and the repair shop couldn't even find one. Every place is sold out of them, which would suggest these sweepers blow them a lot. Must be some sort of design flaw. I will be getting a Hoover next time around.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum / horrible warranty service, October 16, 2011
We bought this vacuum in March, and we've been very happy with it. Why only one star? Because of the horrible Panasonic warranty service...

The power switch on the handle stopped working after 6 months. No big deal - it's still on warranty, right? Well, we called Panasonic, and the closest warranty repair center is 120 miles away, near Philadelphia (we are in Wash. D.C. area). Our only options were to send it there by mail and pay the shipping in both directions or to drive to Philadelphia and back two times (to drop off and then to pick up). When we asked Panasonic to simply send us the replacement part (the hose with the handle, where the power switch is located), they refused and said that it can only be replaced by an authorized technician. We tried to argue that when the vacuum originally arrived from Amazon, that very part came disassembled, and if we were "authorized" to put it together then, we should be allowed to do the same with a replacement. No cigar. They refused to listen. A request to talk to a supervisor was denied too. The guy on the phone said that none of the supervisors were in the office that day. It was Saturday, but still a bit hard to believe that no supervisors were there. Will try to call them again during the week. Between this level of "service" and the fact that a major metropolitan area such as D.C. doesn't have an authorized Panasonic vacuum repair center (plenty of dealers who sell them though), we found the experience very frustrating...

3.0 out of 5 stars Aren't you SUPPOSED to suck?, September 30, 2010
This Vac is the exact twin to my old Kenmore that just died, right down to the color, all the same markings and bells and whistles of the one I paid over $250.00 for 10 years ago, so when I saw it, and it was fairly cheap, I bought it! Well....there is one major difference...even though it is the same hp as my old one, it only has half the sucking power. I have dogs and birds and I need the flexibility of a canister and the old one just about took the carpet with it right up to it's dying day, THIS one, BRAND NEW, has about half the suction as the old one. It still picks up, don't get me wrong, but if you want a lot of power, this is not the vac for you. Otherwise, it is a great buy, the ease of use is good, the flexibility is good, if you have no dogs or cats, this would be a good buy for you. I wish I hadn't bought it though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the heck did I not buy this years ago?, January 28, 2011
I used to own an bagless upright (an 8-year-old dirt devil) but had such a hard time moving it on the carpet and absolutely hated cleaning out the dirt can.

I bought this vacuum after hours of research online deciding between Dyson vs. Electrolux vs. Miele... then this one.

Now that I bought this new vac and used it twice, I'm wondering what took me so long to switch. Consumer Report got it right! this is affordable and works great. Can't ask for a better deal.

Pros
- off/floor/carpet button on the handle
- long cord, auto-rewind
- not too loud
- quick to put on attachments (comes with 4) that are stored in the unit.
- no dust coming out of the vacuum
- replacement bags are cheap (3 for $5, PANASONIC MC-V150M, type C-5)

Minor gripes:
- the headlight goes off in the floor mode.
- the plastic lever that controls the carpet height looks flimsy. Wonder if it will break after a couple years...
- the handle rotates 90-deg only to the left. ???
- cannot control the height of the handle. I'm short so this would've been a mega plus.
- could be even quieter, but then it would be more expensive.

No, it does not suck as powerfully as the upright. But there is no getting around that with a canister vacuum. I have mostly bare floors, so this is actually a plus. I can see why other people would find it problematic, but it works fine on my big, thick area rug.

I hesitated about buying a canister model because you need to drag around the canister as you vacuum. Yes, dragging around the canister is a bit of a pain, esp since I have a small apartment and the canister bumps against crowded furniture. Even then, I still prefer it over pushing around a big clunky upright.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Customer Service for defective vacuum, October 30, 2011
Having used an upright vacuum for the past few years, we were very excited to finally have a cannister vacuum again. However, before the machine was ever plugged in the pile height adjustment quit working. We phoned Panasonic expecting a gracious apology and to be told to send the machine to them (at their expense) and for for them to rush another to us as soon as the defective one was received. Sadly, that was not the case. We were told that we would need to send the machine to a service center, at our expense. That would mean not only incurring the cost of shipping, but also waiting for the machine to be repaired, and then having a vacuum that been repaired. It was simply not acceptable. Thankfully, Amazon has a very easy return policy and we shipped the machine back for a full refund. We will be researching for another brand to purchase. We certainly understand that mistakes sometimes happen and had Panasonic stood behind their product, we would have gladly given a very positive review. As a result of our experience, we give the vacumm and company one star (only because there is no way to give a zero rating).

1.0 out of 5 stars Three-way switch works intermittently, won't turn off (2 different units!), August 8, 2011
Soon after assembling the first unit, I noticed an intermittent problem where when the vacuum was on the "floor" setting on the three way switch (carpet/floor/off), and switched to the "off" position, the vacuum didn't turn off. Setting it back to the floor position, and then to off again did not correct the problem. I would have to switch to "carpet", which activates the roller, and then slide to off in order to turn off the vacuum. This would happen only sometimes, other times it would work fine. This is unacceptable for a $200 vacuum.

I ordered a second unit as a replacement, and the first time I plugged it in after assembling it, it turned on, even though the switch was in the off position. This makes me think that either Panasonic has some serious quality control issues, or that there is a design defect in the vacuum. The only contributing factor I could think of is that there is high humidity inside my apartment because of the summer and that is causing the switches to malfunction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum at a Great Price, December 30, 2010
Purchase 4 weeks ago after reading consumer reports. This vacuum comes with all the attachments, along with light, hepa filter, floor/carpet switch, and height adjustment for carpet. This Panasonic works great on my hardwood floors and does just as well on my area rugs. Consumer reports gave an average rating for pet hair, but i have two dogs and it removes the hair just fine. Very easy to use, and gets underneath my furniture so i don't have to do much moving. Cord seems long enough, and is retractable. I love this vacuum, and compared to Miele, it was a fraction of cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars I finally found my Vacuum!, August 6, 2011
Of all our household chores I believe we all have at least one "favorite" whether it be laundry, ironing, cooking, vacuuming ect.. My favorite is vacuuming so that being said I have used so many different vacuums over the years from hoover, eureka, dyson, electrolux, kenmore, commercial, central vac's, ect. and my latest was Oreck before purchasing this Panasonic mc-cg902. I have to say this Panasonic amazed me. From using mostly upright vac's, getting used to a canister vacuum is not that much of an adjustment at all, I find it is actually easier. I believe canisters vacuums are so much better and the suction can't be beat by any upright I have ever used even the Oreck. No more having to use a different vacuum for stairs and smaller tight areas.

I have tested this vacuum on all my floors and even my couch. I have hardwood, laminate, oriental area rugs, runners, small door way throw rugs, wall to wall carpet, shag carpet and tile in my home as well as kids with their friends in and out & 2 dogs one of which is a pretty good shedder. Needless to say I vacuum everyday! The suction is so good that I only have to pass once and it picked what it should and including that pesky dog hair without sucking the rug into the vacuum, made the carpet so plush looking like brand new again with those great vacuum lines, beautiful! Unlike the oreck.. which I also had to continually run the oreck vac in the same spot over and over til finally I just bent over to pick up the random sting or scoop with my hand the dog hair the oreck vac wouldn't pick up. To me the oreck and the dyson is highly overated and overpriced. The dyson for me didnt pick up at all seemed it blew the dust and dog hair around.

This Panasonic Canister vac also is so convenient because of the onboard tools which I used every single one with no problems and great suction. Easy to switch to a tool for baseboards, steps or tight corners. As far as bare floor cleaning, the one thing that was dissapointing for me was the headlight turned off but the pickup was totally strong! Which was what matters to me more. Walking on the bare floor after vacuuming you definately felt the clean, smooth difference. This vacuum is also pretty quite, so much so you can have a conversation without screaming at each other while vacuuming or even without having to turn the TV volume up.

Purchasing from Amazon was also a great experience, shipping was so quick and great customer service, will use Amazon for future purchases without hesitation. Five out of Five Stars to Amazon too! I read all the reviews and they helped me with my decision so I Hope this review helps someone with their decision to purchase this amazing Panasonic MC-CG902 Vacuum too :)

ARRAY(0xa7d95600)