5.0 out of 5 stars No Rush to Judgment, I Took My Time With This Machine
I am an Oreck girl, I have used their machines for years; but I was starting to get a little curious about all the new technology out there and was wondering how they were going to improve on a relatively simple piece of equipment.

Panasonic has really impressed me with this vacuum.

First of all, this monster is heavy so the idea of hauling it up and...
Published on July 4, 2010 by Nancy

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Duty, Versatile, Solid, and Bagless Vacuum
Published on June 19, 2010 by Anne

5.0 out of 5 stars No Rush to Judgment, I Took My Time With This Machine, July 4, 2010
This review is from: Panasonic MC-UL915 "Jet Force" Bagless Vacuum Cleaner, Metallic Red (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Panasonic has really impressed me with this vacuum.

First of all, this monster is heavy so the idea of hauling it up and down stairs will not appeal to most users. With that being said, it is my only complaint.

I decided to put this new fangled machine to the test, I hauled out my Oreck, vacuumed the living room, it looked pretty good, no complaints, then I brought out the Panasonic. I darn near vacuumed up a small dogs worth of fur and dirt. Actually, I do not know where the dirt came from unless it was down in the pads somewhere. Just makes you wonder what you are walking on in your bare feet.

That was impressive. Now, on to the next test.

Power cord. Finally, a cord that is long enough that I do not have to keep repositioning it around the house.

The attachments snap on and off easily, and with the right tool for the right job easily accessible on the machine itself and not needing a small mini vac that is now coming with Oreck vacuums, why would you not complete the job the right way the first time.

Suction power is unbelievable whether you are using the easy to control carpet or bare floor adjustment or the hand tools, so be careful of what you are using the attachments on.

No vacuum bags, the built in canister is easy to empty, though the instructions do call for it being rinsed from time to time with water, I cannot see the need for this too frequently even with two dogs in the house.

And last but not least, even though this machine is on the heavy side it does its job well, everything is there where you need it. No need for vacuum bags, no need to move cords constantly and no need to have someone else do the little vacuuming attachment type of jobs. A good overall vacuum that does what it is supposed to do the first time. What more could you ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond *Realistic* Expectations, February 11, 2012
I usually don't write product reviews for ANYTHING, let alone a stupid vacuum cleaner. But yet I'm taking the time to type this up:

Maybe I have different expectations than the people who left poor reviews, but this thing is AWESOME! Seriously.

I can echo all of the positive comments other users have posted. There's no need for me to go over them again.
But I was a little concerned about the negative comments from a few customers (pre-purchase), so I thought I'd share my thoughts after using mine a few times:

*** Comments about the canister being prone to spillage: I don't see the problem. The release handle removes the canister and is also a carrying handle for your trip to the trash can. There's no need to tip the thing over at any point. The trap door for the dirt is on the bottom.

*** Comments about the "pre-filter" being prone to clogging: I've only had a problem when vacuuming large amounts of dog hair. Honestly, cleaning it only takes a few moments. No complaints here. The kitchen sink does a bang-up job of rinsing off my hands after touching that "icky dirt" while cleaning it off. I think it's a small price to pay to not deal with bags anymore.

*** Comments about the canister being overly complicated: I really don't get it. I was able to take it take it apart, clean it and put it back together without needing the manual. The parts are keyed so that they only fit one way. There's even a disassembly/reassembly pictorial sticker already on the vacuum behind where the dirt canister resides.

*** Concerns about weight: I don't feel that it's terribly heavy. But it's not especially light either. Personally, I don't think the weight is out of line. If I would ever get to the point where picking up a 20pound vacuum cleaner is too much for me, I should probably be having someone else do the cleaning for me anyway. To keep things in perspective: if you can pick up your poodle, you can probably handle this vacuum cleaner.

*** Concerns about noise: Again, I don't think the noise is particularly loud. It's a vacuum cleaner. Vacuum cleaners make noise. My shop vac is WAY louder than this thing.

The only issue I've had hasn't yet been addressed by any of the reviews I've read - The beater brush drums up an insane amount of static electricity in my home. It shocks the crap outta me every few seconds if I get near the hose that runs down the rear of the chassis. It's winter-time right now, so maybe it'll be different when it's not so dry. The hose doesn't appear to be grounded, so maybe that's the issue (the power plug is polarized but doesn't include a ground prong). It's not all bad though. Maybe I'll channel the extra static to annoy the girlfriend... :)

Overall, I'm impressed with the performance of this vacuum, especially considering the price it's selling for. Is it the absolute-best vacuum cleaner on the planet? Probably not. But I also don't feel like I was cheated out of my $180.

-Just a Regular Guy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum/Love the Color!, August 9, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am writing this review from the perspective of a user who has never owned an upright vacuum cleaner before. In my lifetime I have been spoiled by owning two Electrolux canister vacuum cleaners , which I love, but which are becoming rather expensive for my taste. However, I have used several uprights over the years owned by friends and family, and have never been very impressed with them.

This vacuum has changed my opinion of uprights. It has taken a bit of getting used to and learning how to use, but I love it. When I received this vacuum, I cleaned the main floor of my home and then carried it upstairs with no problem, and I am a senior citizen. I did not find it extremely heavy, maybe a tad awkward, but I think taking any vacuum up and down stairs is a bit of a task. I have continued to use this in my upstairs only, which is not used a great deal and does not get very dirty.

I find that this vacuum does a great cleaning job. It picks up everything and I absolutely love the dirt sensor. I noticed the sensor came on just a couple of times in high traffic areas. The long cord makes this very handy to use as I can plug it in out in the hallway and clean a couple of rooms. After having this for two months, I find that this vacuum is a great vacuum for the price. Today I took it apart to empty it, and clean the pre-filter and other parts. I definitely need the user guide to do this. I think that after I have done it a few times, it will become much easier. With my canister vacuum, I do not have to take it apart to clean, but I do have to buy bags and filters. Given that this upright cost a whole lot less than my canister, I can deal with a little extra maintenance.

I am a bit puzzled by the legal disclaimer I just noticed on Amazon's page: "We do not in any way represent that any part we sell is legal to possess in your jurisdiction. Check with you local authorities to ensure it is legal for you to possess before buying!"

Being that red is absolutely my favorite color; I love the look of this vacuum. Whoever thought that a vacuum cleaner could be pretty?

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic makes vacuums??? Yes...and very well., November 20, 2010
devzin98 (Oak Ridge, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
Panasonic has always been one of my favorite brands for electronics. Nearly everything I buy with their name on it is reliable and performs well. This vacuum is no exception. I had no idea that Panasonic even made a product like this, but based on past experience and the reviews on Amazon, I decided to take a chance. I was not disappointed. This vacuum completely blows away my old bagless Hoover. The suction is excellent, and like other reviewers have stated, the status light that tells you when dirt is actually flowing through the unit truly helps you to get the whole house clean. The attachments are awesome. I also found cleanup to be really simple...just detach, dump, and place back on the unit. Some others complained about cleanup, but I have yet to make an accidental mess while doing so. I highly recommend this vacuum if you're in the market for a new one, and don't want to pay for the Dyson. This does the job just fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Duty, Versatile, Solid, and Bagless Vacuum, June 19, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Over the past few years, I've owned a basic bagless Hoover, midline bagless Eureka, and a basic commercial Oreck (which requires bags). They are all very different and different still from this Panasonic vacuum cleaner. Honestly, I probably would have bought this vacuum cleaner a year ago if my mom hadn't introduced me to Oreck. But, I would have ended up frustrated because after having it for three months it doesn't work very well anymore.

One of the factors that I've realized over the years that makes a vacuum cleaner really expensive is the replacement HEPA filters. The filter on this vacuum only costs $10 when I looked it up on Amazon. My hoover, on the other hand which was only a $65 vacuum required two filters that cost a total of $25 or $30 a year. The Eureka (a $175 vacuum) was similar and required two filters that cost about $30 a year. My Oreck (a $300 vacuum) does not have a filter, but it does have bags that are supposed to help with allergies. (The cost of the Oreck doesn't come in the filters, but rather in the bags which have to be replaced about every month and a half and run about $25 a year.)

The other factor I've realized that varies a lot among vacuums is the weight of the vacuums. This vacuum weighs 27 lbs. To give you a comparison, the comparable Dyson weighs 25 pounds. Because of it's weight though, I would recommend this vacuum for a single story home or for someone who is strong. My Oreck only weighs 9 lbs. So, if you have carpel tunnel sydrome, I'd definitely recommend an Oreck over this one. The weight is important for not only carrying up and downstairs but also for going back and forth on the carpet. This vacuum almost feels as if it's self propelled when it goes forward but it's heavy (compared to my Oreck) to pull back. I don't think it would be that heavy to pull back compared to a Dyson, though.

At first, I was very pleased with how well this vacuum vacuumed my carpet. I was amazed at how much it pulled up from just my downstairs! It was pretty quiet, not too loud. The clean/dirty sensor is a funny thing. I experimented a bit. It made me wonder if my carpet is dirty! I made 2 passes in some places and it would be clean, but in others it would take 6 or 7 passes. I'm not sure how much I trust the sensor--I think it's more of a gadget. It is easy to press the button to switch from bare floors to vacuum and it doesn't have a beater bar if you're concerned about that for hardwood floors. The beater bar is something that vacuums had a long time ago and the top Oreck has one, but the lower ones don't. The handle isn't especially easy to maneuver, but it isn't horrible. But, when you go back to carpet after bare floors, make sure to switch the switch back or else it won't vacuum the way it needs to. It has two distinct settings. But, recently it stopped working very well. The stick works fine, but because of how the vacuum is made, it's hard to figure out what is wrong.

One thing I do love is how easily the vacuum stick comes in and out when you need to get into small places. It clicks in so you know it's in there. It's very easy to click it up and down to make it shorter or longer. I also have been warned that the tube on the Dyson vacuum is very stiff and hard to maneuver, but the one on this Panasonic is not. If the stretchy tube doesn't seem to be retracting enough, it's just because it's twisted. I pulled the pole out and untwisted it and then it retracted so I could pop it back into place very, very easily. My Hoover also drove me crazy becaus the vacuum tube was always coming loose and I'd look down and then I'd realize what I was vacuuming was going into the air and not the canister! Ugh! That vacuum was a pain. So, the clicking feature on this one really pleased me! I was also very pleased with how close it vacuumed to the edge of things. It really does a much better job than my Oreck.

Thoughts on assembly and cleaning... When you assemble the vacuum and take the stickers off, they may or may not come off easily. Mine didn't, but I used my nails. If the stickers don't come off easily, you can use a damp rag and a bit of baking soda to rub it off. It will even take off the gumminess left by the stickers if you've gotten some of it off, but not all of it. Also, when you go to empty the canister, the red funnel has be pushed in and at first I only felt/heard one click. It had go far enough in so that the bottom of the canister could slide in and twist. I just wanted to mention it so you don't get frustrated with it the first time you're figuring it out. I thought the funnel/canister contraption was great and it was really easy to slide/lock back into place!

Really, I think there are two camps in vacuums. Bags and Bagless. So, basically, if you are looking for a bagless vacuum, I'd definitely recommend this one and I'd give it 4.5 stars. It works really well! At a little over $200, it seems like a good value and it's far cheaper than getting a Dyson (even if you don't have to replace the filters on the Dyson). I'm not sure what is wrong with my vacuum, but until recently it did really work well.

If you need a light vacuum and don't mind bags, I'd go with an Oreck (but get a middle of the line one, not the top or the bottom).

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Vacuum, August 19, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In general the MC-UL915 has proven itself to be a wonderful vacuum. It does the job expected of it and cleans carpets and bare floors without much effort.

We recently broke a glass bottle in our kitchen and it smashed across the floor landing pieces all over the place. I scrambled across the room (since I had flipflops on) and avoided piece after piece. Ten seconds with the vacuum and I felt I could walk again freely. You can hear the little pieces of glass and dirty being ripped up through the carpet and into the easy open trash chute. Since it's bagless it means you don't have to worry about paying for each use like a conventional vacuum but can rather use it whenever you need it.

There were a few issues with the design that I noticed, however. The first is that the dirt sensor stopped working rather quickly on my model. It's not a huge deal but I found it a helpful accessory so I was a bit disappointed.

The second issue was that when you're using the hose you can't push the vacuum. The hose handle is the push handle for pushing it. Just something to keep in mind if you're a little insane about your cleaning like myself. I found myself having to drag the machine all around in order to get it to the spot I needed to clean.

Finally the last probably I noticed was that when you unpack the vacuum there is a spot to hold everything... except one of the attachments. I feel like I'm going to lose the attachment because it kind of just sits in my closet near the machine. Doesn't seem like the best design plan if they can't fit all of them on it. Just another notch on the vacuum to hold it would have done wonders.

All in all a great vacuum and I recommended it thoroughly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic vacuum review MC-UL915, January 23, 2011
Excellent vacuum for hard floors and carpet. The only flaw I notice is the back wheels need to be larger. The small rotating head attachment brush works great for dog hair on the couch. Purchased this vacuum instead of a Dyson(pricy) and glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, easy to use, and easy to clean, June 20, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
About every eight to ten years I find myself driving an old, worn out car that's getting to be more trouble than it's worth, what with replacing parts, fixing rust and so forth. And every time I go looking at new cars, I'm amazed at how much the technology has advanced since my last purchase.

Vacuum cleaners, however, don't advance quite that fast. Twenty years ago, when I bought my house, it came with an an old Eureka bag vacuum, a machine that was already at least ten years old, but of a design that had been around since the 1930s. I used that machine for a good decade, until I was seduced by the new high-tech looking bagless designs that were coming on to the market. Seduced by those Dyson ads (but not wanting ot pay Dyson prices) I bought a fancy looking Eureka on sale, and that machine has given me good service over the years, with only a few filter and belt replacements. I don't know that it actually cleaned any better than the old model, but it looked great, and it did have a hose and attachments, which the old Eureka didn't have. Emptying the dirt canister and washing the filters was more trouble, and took a lot longer than simply swapping a bag on the old machine, but at least I didn't have to keep bags on hand. When I had the opportunity to evaluate a new Panasonic, I was curious to see if any real improvements had evolved in the world of vacuums since my last purchase.

My first reaction as I unpacked the machine from its box was that there were a lot of pieces, and it wasn't clear how they all connected together. A quick glance at the manual cleared that up, and everything snapped or slid together easily. I fired it up and took a tour of the wooden floors and rugs in my living room and dining room. My first impression was that this was a pretty well engineered machine. The extensible handle can be adjusted with the touch of a button, and easily accommodates my 6'2" frame. No more stooping. Switching from carpet to hardwood floor is much easier than with my old Eureka, too, as it requires only a light tap with the toe on the base of the machine.

Changing over from floor cleaning to furniture, walls, drapes and so forth is much easier on the Panasonic, too. On the Eureka, I had to bend over and detach the hose, remove the two-part rigid extension from the other side of the machine, assemble it, attach it to the hose, and lastly attach the cleaning attachment. On the Panasonic, one simply detaches the handle from the top of the machine, with or without the extension, by choosing which release to push. Snap on a cleaning attachment, and you're ready to vacuum. The attachments include the usual crevice tool and a wider tool for general vacuuming plus a clever tool with an air-powered spinning brush designed for removing pet hair from upholstery. I don't have any pets but I imagine this might also be useful for hard to reach bits of carpeting and carpeted stairs.

Emptying the Panasonic is much easier than emptying the bagless Eureka, too. You simply lift a lever at the top of the canister and tip it forward- no effort required. Disassembling the canister to empty it is no more complicated than on the Eureka, and it doesn't have the multiple pre-filters found on the Eureka that require washing and drying every time you empty it. Panasonic claims that their cyclonic system does a better job of separating out light light particles, too, which means the HEPA filter lasts longer between changes. And there's something new to me- a dirt sensor. This is supposed to inform you when you've removed at the dirt in a given area so you know when to move on, by using optical sensors to detect whether particles are being sucked up in the airstream. This is intended primarily for carpets and as I have mainly hardwood floors I didn't pay much attention to it while vacuuming.

All in all, a very effective machine that's easy to use, easy to empty, and costs much less than some of the fancier bagless vacuums on the market that cost several times as much but probably don't clean any better. I think the Eureka will be retired to basement duty, while the Panasonic takes over the principle cleaning responsibility for my house.

Update: I had friends over for dinner last night, and they noticed this unit and mentioned that they were looking for a new upright vacuum. I immediately went into my sales spiel, demonstrating the features I mentioned above- how easy it is to extend the handle or wand at the touch of a button, how the dirt canister comes right off with no effort, and yes, how the dirt detector works. My girlfriend was laughing herself silly at my apparent impression of an appliance salesman, but my friends were convinced.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but has some flaws, January 18, 2011
This vacuum has pretty good suction and cleans carpets well. The dirt indicator is a nice function and will save you time from playing the guessing game. I was not as satisfied with the hard floor cleaning, but it is good enough. The detachable dust cup comes off easily and is opened from the bottom. It can be difficult to empty as the dust/hair sticks onto the top of the canister, so you'll occasionally have to remove it with your hand.

I was somewhat disappointed with the functionality of some of the on board parts for a vacuum of this price. The air turbine attachment does not have much brush power on carpet and can easily jam if vacuuming up woman's hair. The included floor brush is a bit small and it doesn't suck things up as well as hoped. There is also no on-board slot for the floor brush, so it can be annoying to keep track of.

One of the major flaws of the vacuum is the telescoping wand, which is actually the vacuums handle that detaches. Since the handle detaches, it is difficult to maneuver the vacuum around. This would not be a problem if the hose was long, but it only stretches about 4 feet, maybe further if you put your muscle into it. I found myself caring the vacuum around by the front handle when using the wand. This can be annoying when using the floor brush or vacuuming the stairs. Older people would probably have difficulty using it. On a positive side, the telescoping function extends easily and attaches/detaches quick to the tools and to the vacuum.

1.0 out of 5 stars After 4 months - needs service, December 15, 2012
Before buying the Panasonic, I always bought the cheapest Bissell Powerforce because I replaced them every 6 months. I assumed, I would keep this vacuum cleaner a lot longer to justify the investment. Unfortunately, that is not possible.
After only 4 months, this Panasonic Jet Force Bagless no longer discerns the switch from Floor to Carpet. It is forever stuck on Floor; which is the lesser cleaning force. So now, my carpets and rugs do not come clean. It doesn't even lift dust clusters or popcorn off of carpet! With all the reviews, I wonder if this was refurbished. I did not expect such a basic function to break.
I regret that it was not purchased from a brick-and-mortar store; because after explanation, I could at least get a discount on a replacement and at best, have the item swapped.