5.0 out of 5 stars Important features, no frills, nice price
We got this iron because, for some reason, we had an unused but OLD iron lying around without auto shut-off. After two near-misses with that thing, I ordered this based on the reviews and ratings. We weren't disappointed.
Published on April 5, 2012 by S. McCann

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of ordering the right iron
Published on March 10, 2012 by typobet

5.0 out of 5 stars Important features, no frills, nice price, April 5, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic NI-E200T Steam/Dry Iron with U-Shape Titanium Coated Soleplate (Misc.)
- Stainless steel baseplate - this is a nice, modern feature. "Nonstick" is fine until something sticks to it. Then when you scrub it off, it's no longer nonstick.
- Steam EVERYWHERE!
- Fillable in the bathroom sink because of thoughtful design
- Clear, easy-to-read water level
- Did I say "Steam Everywhere?"

Cons:
- nonintuitive. This is the first iron for which I've ever had to read the instruction manual. And I have to read it again tonight because I forgot how to use two important features.
- Temperature wheel is slow and hard to budge at first.

No better iron for the price, I assure you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best steaming iron for sewing!, December 15, 2013
Quiltndollmaker (Mom of the South) - See all my reviews
I am so impressed with this simple inexpensive iron! A little history here...I am a quilter and I use my steam iron daily for hours! :)
1. I have been the owner of two Mini Rowenta's irons that both spit and wet my ironing board, in puddles, when I wasn't looking.
I followed the directions but they continued to spit with out mercy! They were never dropped, one still works as a dry iron so not too bad a value if you don't use steam...but I do! :/

2. I have owned an Oliso iron with the cool feet that raise the iron up and down and it only lasted only 1 1/2 years at a cost of $85. I also followed all the directions on this iron and it too was never dropped. The feet never failed me on the Oliso but the steam was not very good and it too spit really bad. Although, I loved the up and down feet in the horizontal mode at the cost of $85. and only lasting 18 months is about $5.00 a month expense for an iron. Not my idea of a good value.

3. I need a super hot iron with a super good horizontal steam to get the cotton wrinkles out. So, when the Oliso died unexpectedly I had to pull out my old back up iron that cuts off when I don't use it for 8 min. Really! How annoying for the quilter like me to have to jump up and jiggle the iron every few minutes, plus wait on it to heat up again if I forget. Not to mention that my old stand buy will even cut off if I iron for more than 30 seconds with out lifting the iron. Ugh!!!

4. So I Googled the worlds best cheap iron and found this sweet little Panasonic iron! I love it! It gets super hot and has powerful steam in the horizontal position only. But that is so perfect as I iron for more than 30 seconds a lot when I iron out a backing of 9 or 10 yards of fabric. It has the old fashioned turning wheel knob to turn it on and set the temperature. A little light comes on at the base of the handle and in less than 2 minutes it reaches the set temperature and the light goes out. As the iron has to heat up the light comes on again but I don't even notice that I am so happy with the temp and steam! The water tank is see through on this Panasonic...my old stand by you have to guess where the water line is. It doesn't have the auto shut off safety feature...this is great! I have a theory that the auto safety feature is what kills the steam feature and kills the iron eventually for an avid quilter like me under constant use.

5. So to sum it all up, this Panasonic iron gets really hot and stays hot! This iron is easy to fill with tap water and the water lasts all afternoon for me. There is no auto shut off safety feature...perfect! The price is only $19.99 averaged over 18 months of heavy use at a cost of $1.11 a month... I ordered a second one to put up for the future today! :)

6. FYI this Panasonic does not have the auto wind up cord that some of the other Panasonic models do...but I never put my iron up so again PERFECT!

7. Also, always unplug irons and sewing machines when you leave your sewing room, as Featherweight and old Singer machines keep constant electric current flowing to them even when the light is turned off.

UPDATE...May 16, 2014 and this cheap little steaming beast is still working great!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a good Buy!, November 16, 2012
I needed a iron because I do a lot of cross stitching and needle work. My old iron died and I kept " borrowing" my son's iron,that is, till he got tired of asking to get it back. I had heard from a few friends that the ONLY iron to buy had to be one of those $100.00 ++++ . Instead, I looked at my old friend Amazon. I was so surprised at the cheaper prices. I had originally wanted the purple model. I couldn't understand why it was selling for double the price of the blue iron. I wish I would have looked a wee bit more. I would have liked the retractable cord for only $5.00 more. After trying out this new iron I was so shocked that it is so much more better then I would have thought! The steam part of the iron is fantastic! Gets heavily wrinkled fabric smooth as a baby's butt! It is VERY light! But, actually.....I like it better! I am very happy with this purchase and the best thing is there was no S&H, no paying for gas, no waiting for parking at a mall. I order just about everything from Amazon and I LOVE it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of ordering the right iron, March 10, 2012
I originally wanted to get the NI-S300TR but saw just below the image that there was another newer version called the Panasonic NI-E300TR U-Shape Steam Iron. So I clicked on the newer version and liked the features. Then right next to the image was a selection of colors. Not being a fan of lime green, I selected the blue color instead. I had no idea that the different colors meant completely different features. Had I scrolled down to the bottom of the page, I would have seen that color selection was tied to what features came with the iron. Each color had different features - which was not indicated when it indicated that I could select the color iron that I wanted. When my blue iron arrived with the instruction booklet, it was then that I learned that my iron had fewer features than the other two color selections of lime-green and violet (with violet having the most features). According to the manual that came with my iron - the manual was for the NI-E650TR and also covered the features for the E300TR and E200T. The blue version does not have a retractable cord, no self-cleaning feature, no vertical steam, no automatic shut-off, no stay-clean vents and no "jet of steam" feature. So PLEASE BE AWARE when selecting your color choice. It isn't so much the color that you are selecting as it is a completely different model with different features. That should have been made more clear. I paid $1 more and have none of the features that I thought I was getting. If I would have saved that dollar, I could have had a lot more features. Go figure. Buyer Beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great iron for a seamstress, June 15, 2012
My wife is a seamstress - she spends hours a week, shuttling between her sewing machine and the ironing board. Irons with automatic shutoff make her crazy - they have to be turned on each time she needs them and that means delays. She chose the Panasonic NI-E200T for its soleplate shape and its lack of automatic shutoff. She loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good iron, April 3, 2012
Ir is lightweight, heats up quickly and has a long cord. I am regularly using it for all types of clothes from formal shirts to Jeans and it does the job well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Plus and minuses, February 9, 2012
I like the iron overall. I don't know if its a placebo but it does feel like I iron faster with the design of this iron. So that is a big plus to me.

Now the negative to me is it seems to take a little longer than my older cheaper iron(that quit after 8 years) to get to steam.
So the first few times I used the iron...I got big blotches of water on my dress shirt. On the third shirt I figured it out.
If I had read the directions....I might have known from the start that you have to wait a bit.

Panasonic is a good brand so I should be okay for a few years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible experience..major flaw.. I wouldn't pay $5 for this iron., February 28, 2014
Pros: Looks good, heats up quickly, cheap price.

Cons: I had to learn the hard way, that If you adjust the heat setting while it's in use....it spits out Scalding Hot Water all over the place and ruins your clothes!! I ironed shirt #1 and hung it up. I was about to iron shirt #2 and had a brand new $65 silk tie lying next to the shirt. I turned the setting down since shirt #2 wasn't 100% cotton. I sat the iron down, and the iron just started to shoot hot water all over the place, and it left hot water rings all over my brand new $65 tie. Unfortunately, I can't send it back now because my return deadline has expired. I don't blame Amazon, I blame Panasonic. I will fill the reservoir half way up next time to see if that helps...but if not.. I will take it to an electronics recycling center and hopefully they take it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not willing to pay a high price for an iton, July 8, 2013
its okay. I've had it for about 2 months now and like most inexpensive steam irons it started leaking water. Not to much water but just enough to become annoying. My suggestion is if you buy this item don't fill the water tank to the top this may avoid some of the leakage of water. I waited two months before rating this item because I wanted to know if it would stand the test of time. So much for my theory. Over all I would give it 3 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Design and Performance, December 20, 2012
Supposedly non-stick surface sticks. Temperature fluctuates. Handle is too close to hot dial surface, so watch your knuckles. Small oval plate does not iron large enough area with each stroke.