5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!
Published on September 30, 2011 by S. Yu

3.0 out of 5 stars Good steam output but doesn't glide smoothly.
I am a working professional who wears button down shirts and slacks for work every day. When I got married my wife made it clear that ironing was not a part of the deal. This was OK with me because I ironed shirts enough that it has become a part of my morning ritual. No, I don't actually like to iron, but with the right equipment it isn't too much of a hassle...
Published on January 25, 2012 by H. A.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good steam output but doesn't glide smoothly., January 25, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic NI-E300TR U-Shape Titanium Soleplate Steam-Dry Iron (Misc.)

I got this iron to replace a Black & Decker D2030 Auto-Off Digital Advantage Iron that had fallen and broken. We had the B&D for three years and had absolutely no problems with it until gravity took over and ruined everything. When it came to finding a replacement I narrowed my options to the Panasonic U-Shape and purchasing the exact same B&D, but opted to go with the Panasonic for a change of pace. In the end, I think I should have stuck with the tried and true B&D option.

Some positives to the Panasonic are that it heats up very quickly and produces quite a bit of steam. It does an OK job of ironing shirts and pants, and the sharp point on its front allows the iron to perform good detail work.

A significant negative is that the Panasonic doesn't glide well over cotton dress shirts and borders on feeling a little sticky. The Panasonic has what appears to be a nicer, solid coated finish to the bottom than the B&D it replaced which had a wrapped stainless steel bottom and I expected the high-tech Panasonic coating to out-perform steel. I was wrong.

While the Panasonic irons well, if I were making the decision over again I would buy another B&D as a replacement. In fact, if I get too fed up with having an iron that makes a mundane chore less pleasant than it already is I might just have to pony up for a second iron that works just a little bit better.

While I do think that the Panasonic provides value for the price, I also believe that there are other options at or near the same price-point that will perform better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, September 30, 2011
After reading many reviews for the Panasonic NI-S300TR 1200-Watt Steam Iron with Curved Titanium-Coated Soleplate, White/Green I decided I was going to get it. But wait! Amazon has just notified me that there is a "newer model" of the iron for cheaper! Now imagine that, a newer model, and at a better price. Of course I'm going to try the Panasonic NI-E300TR U-Shape Steam Iron, White/Green Finish instead!

So here I go: This is a great iron, being that I am not an ironing fanatic, I only iron my work clothes the night before I wear them, and random miscellaneous items for my boyfriend when needed. In the reviews for the Panasonic NI-S300TR 1200-Watt Steam Iron with Curved Titanium-Coated Soleplate, White/Green it said that the "steam" function was pretty much worthless-- well I've been using the steam function on mine every night and it seems to be working pretty well to get out the stubborn wrinkles. Also, the box advertises "25% More Steam Coverage" compared to the older model, so steam fanatics, get this one here!

The iron heats up fairly quickly, I was able to start ironing after ~30 seconds of waiting and preparing my shirts. It glides very smoothly on the clothing items and almost makes it seem as if I'm ironing silk! The new U-Curved shape is very cool looking-- but I have yet to decide why it makes the iron a better iron-- maybe I just need to iron more?

I really appreciate the cord reel because it saves space and doesn't have a bulky cord I need to wrap up each time after I'm done using it. It also automatically shuts off after 10 minutes in the standing up position-- which is a very thoughtful tool since I am often interrupted as well as forgetful!

I love the color, it's my favorite-- the only thing I have a gripe about is that it doesn't come with a small watering canister. My previous irons came with one, not sure if manufacturer's are just saving money now a days or what! But I have to refill the iron under the sink and it can get inconvenient!

Overall, well worth the money!

3.0 out of 5 stars Soleplate drags, January 29, 2012
Alan Pimentel (Fall River, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Good steam. Almost no drips (a drop or two). I would have kept it except for one major problem: The soleplate drags on the fabric. Yes, it removed the wrinkles that were in my shirt, but it created its own new wrinkles.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seven months of ironing...is that all there is???, May 6, 2013
S. Warner (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Bought seven months ago. Worked acceptably well for six months and a couple days. We iron five shirts/week and a sporadic and infrequent piece of simple linen clothing. Then today after efficiently ironing one item (and NOT coinciding with added water to tank)...mega steam production from places there should not be puffs forth, then no light to indicate iron is on, though plugged into outlet...then, not heating...oops...it's heating....no, not anymore, unplugged, replugged...heating...ooops...not. Gotta admit, this is a really efficient way to spend a half hour trying to make a shirt look a bit closer to presentable! And, especially convenient since I was ironing for a packing session and planned travel.

At present, this failed Panasonic iron rests on the kitchen counter for spousal tinkering before trashing it. I am weary of such obsolescence. When will I be able to buy an iron that works over a year? I've had B&D, multiple Rowentas (some well over $100 in price)...never had a keeper. Actually, a retro all chrome $25 Best Buy model lasted the longest of any, that was just barely a year. My mother is 86.5 years old, and has an iron she's had since 1961. She used it for seamstress work daily for many years and it was NOT a professional model, just a store shelf buy of that era...one would think that in having at least two dozen irons in 40 years I would have found one that lasted?? Guess not?!!

One star because I believe we surely haven't reached the place where these irons are like...disposable items??

1.0 out of 5 stars Great iron --- But no longer works after 3 weeks, August 15, 2013
I iron clothes for work just about every morning. I had been using an old cheap iron for years so i was excited to finially upgrade to the Panasonic NI-E300TR U-Shape Titanium Soleplate Steam-Dry Iron... Our ironing relationship started out great and i was very happy and wrinkle free... but sadly, the iron no longer gets hot. -- boo Panasonic, very boo :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad design. Made me late for church. FYI: 8' cord length., June 19, 2012
The reviews on this iron were so positive I drank the Kool Aid, too!

We have a Black and Decker F1060 that I was not happy with: the fill cap leaks, it sometimes leaks through the sole plate, and the steam output is mediocre. It is over a couple years old and could probably use a good cleaning, but that won't fix the leaking.

Hence, we bought this Panasonic.

Mom was immediately dissatisfied with it. My first, and only, time trying it was before church, Sunday morning. I was late for service.

The steam output on this thing is a joke. On all the highest settings (heat and steam) this iron doesn't. I realized that most of the steam comes shooting out the perimeter of the sole plate. If you look at the hole pattern on the sole plate, you will see that, first, all the holes are only on the periphery of the plate. Then, you will notice that the chamfers on the holes are such that the steam would naturally be directed to the outside of the plate, not the center. Additionally, there really aren't that many holes, either.

Our Black and Decker is a lousy iron, and this Panasonic is a brand new engineering travesty that is worse than lousy.

Can NO ONE produce a decent iron? This reminds me of when I shopped for a dehumidifier: every single model had bad reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Differences between the NI-E200TR, NI-E300TR, and NI-E650TR, April 24, 2014
Just posting this so that people can compare the differences between the three Panasonic models that are available on Amazon at the moment. My rating is irrelevant as I have not yet purchased any of the aforementioned models, though I am considering the 650.

- The 300 and 650 both have a retractable cord, while the 200 does not.
- The 300 and 650 both have an auto shut-off feature, while the 200 does not.
- The 650 has an anti-calcium system built in to keep the steam vents clean.

More details here:
[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars T-minus 2 months to burn out, March 21, 2012
It's an iron. A pretty utilitarian device of which I request the basics: that it produce heat and perform reliably. Sadly this NI E300TR lasted exactly 3 weeks of actual use before it stopped working.

I opened the bottom compartment, consisting of 2 screws, to reveal the problem - the power unit located in the handle(manufactured by Tyco) burned out. I am no electrical engineer, but the scorch marks on the inside are evident, as is the smell. And it was only used in a 110V outlet.

On the upside, it didn't leak.

It has a one year warranty, but I an stationed overseas and it will cost more to ship back than it will to purchase a new one here.

Don't know what to say - I always take a sanguine view of the negative reviews when purchasing from Amazon. But this Panasonic iron was a real disappointment in so much as one can actually be disappointed by an iron.

Given the time to failure and other similar reviews, it is likely a design defect rather than poor construction. Looking at the innards of this thing, all of the connections seem to be well made. Just the component board failed.

I would suggest that someone look to another brand for a better iron in this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars ironic isn't it., November 4, 2013
it steams, it irons, it even makes grilled cheese sandwiches.

three things my girlfriend does not do for me. hmm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, October 12, 2011
I got the "old fashioned" iron from B&D first and it stuck to everything. So I sent that back and got this. It's awesome. The shape and feel are a bit odd at first, but I've gotten used to that and even like it better now. The steam settings, steam shot, and water spray function are great for stubborn fabrics. The cord reel keeps things neat and the water tank is large and easy to see.

I use this iron every day in my business and I would recommend it.