5.0 out of 5 stars A good iron with no stinkin' cord
Published on January 2, 2009 by Mike Opinion

3.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic 1500 Watt Cordless Iron
I've had this iron for almost a year now and it has started dripping. I am sending it back. Here is the review I wrote right after I got it:
Published on February 9, 2010 by A. Humphries

5.0 out of 5 stars A good iron with no stinkin' cord, January 2, 2009
This review is from: Panasonic NI-L71SR 1500-Watt Cordless Steam Iron with Stainless-Steel Soleplate, White (Kitchen)
I really don't like to iron. And I hate appliances/tools in which the cord is always in the way or catching on things. I've gone to great lengths to get cordless everything. I've used 5 or 6 irons in my day, some old, some new, all with cords. I had a nice corded iron that worked well, but fell apart. I've never been enamored with the steam function of any iron I've owned.

Received this iron as a gift from my wife who was tired of me wearing wrinkled clothes. Perfect timing as I had left a load of shirts and slacks in the dryer too long, and I was moping because they were all severely wrinkled, and had been sitting in a laundry basket for a month. Filled the iron with water, plugged it in, set the temp to HIGH, and 2 minutes or so later was ready to go.

It worked great. Very smooth ironing surface and wonderful steam sytem. I set the steam to maximum, and it worked very well. Same with MEDIUM setting on my poly blends; worked great. I accidently ironed a heavy silk shirt on MEDIUM, and no problems, scorches or blemmishes.

And no problem with the iron cooling between visits to the base, which I set on a table behind and right of me, in easy reach. It seemed to take about 15 seconds on the base to fully reheat, based on a slight click that I think was the thermostat shutting the coils off. I tried to measure the cooling over 2 minutes while on HIGH, but the iron was too hot for my BBQ fork to measure, even after 5 minutes off the base; the iron was still producing steam too. That seems hot to me.

But the best thing: no cord. Nothing to catch on things, nothing in the way of where I want to iron, nothing to constantly move. If you don't mind cords, by all means, buy a corded iron. If you don't like them, I'd recommend this iron. I now dislike ironing a little less.

3.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic 1500 Watt Cordless Iron, February 9, 2010
I love the cordless feature! So convenient when ironing a quilt top or backing, or curtains or other large items. Also, it can be carried to a smaller ironing mat for quilt piecing and then put back on its base. It stays hot off its base for 5 minutes or more. It heats quickly and reheats quickly when returned to its base. It feels heavy, like a quality iron should. It glides smoothly on its shiny stainless steel baseplate. The burst of steam works real well. The high setting is hot enough to get the wrinkles out of most cottons. The base has a retractable cord and a very nice clip-on plastic cover/case with a carrying handle.
Not-so-good features: it is difficult to set it back in the base because you have to line up the slots. It doesn't steam real well when the tank gets below half. The heat settings are limited to Low, Medium and High. I would like to have settings in between those. It shuts off automatically after 10 minutes if not lifted from the base. I would like that time to be longer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good price but you get what you pay for..., December 27, 2008
I've been wanting a cordless iron for some time now for the convenience factor and I didn't want to spend a fortune. I thought the $45 or so that I paid for this iron (after coupons, etc.) was a fair price but you get what you pay for - and in this case, I think I've sacrificed performance for convenience and price - although I don't know if a higher priced cordless would work any better. The iron works well but it just doesn't get hot enough or steamy enough to get thorough those deep cotton wrinkles quickly or easily. It takes me at least four or five passes to get a result I'm happy with - and at that point, I have to put the iron back in the cradle to heat it up again. It's an OK item but I wouldn't recommend it unless your ironing needs are just the "touch up" type.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleasently Suprised!!!, June 20, 2009
This is a great iron... I was a bit concerned when I read the not so good 3 star reviews, but now that I have it and have had a chance to use it, I am very please with my purchase! (I got it for $69 +ship, by the way from PrimeSource4Value here on amazon).

The iron is just the right weight and the steam function is excellent! My husband is military and has so many uniforms that need low heat with steam so they don't get all shiney... and this one does the job! It is the first iron I have ever had that has a good output of steam on a low setting! It also gets very hot on the high setting and ironing cotton and linen is a breeze! The only thing that takes a little getting used to is setting it back on its base, but after you get the rythm down, it is not a problem:)

I am not someone who usually gets excited about these things, but I am very happy with this product! Good job Panasonic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldnt ask for better, December 28, 2008
I recently bought this for our house as a replacement. I figured somehow it came with batteries and you just kept it on the charger. I was kinda worried about this knowing that some batteries gain a memory after several charges.

The iron is COMPLETELY different. It is cordless BUT you keep it on the dock while the dock in plugged in and it heats the iron for you. No charge no nothing. Instead of setting the traditional iron down while you move your garment around, you place it back on the dock, and it continues to heat it up! It also has a removable water reservoir so you don't have to pour water all over the iron. Perfect for us messy people. Once your done, push the cord back into the dock and place the heat resistant cover back on and BAM! your done. It protects the iron and you so you don't get burned while its cooling off. Great for travel as well. I recommend this for everyone. It was money well spent and heats everything evenly and nice. If anything happens to this one, I'm going to be buying this one again!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Iron, November 27, 2009
I bought this iron to replace my old West Bend cordless, which I have owned and loved for many years. The West Bend is no longer available, so after much research I decided on the Panasonic. I am pleased in every way. The cover and the retractable cord make storage easy. The detachable fill chamber is nice. The iron heats well and the sole plate is very smooth, making ironing almost a pleasure. I see that other people have had trouble with the iron maintaining heat, but I have not, probably because I am used to always setting the iron back on the base as I iron. In every way, I am happy with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good iron, could be better, September 26, 2009
C. Petersen (Richardson, TX) - See all my reviews
I've found this iron to function OK for our ironing purposes. I don't like the fact that it only has three heat settings. Also, the iron must be set back down in the cradle quite often to keep the iron hot. It only heats up while in the cradle, otherwise it is cooling off while it is being used. I thought it had some type of battery that would keep it hot while out of the cradle, but that is not the case. So, if you are aware of that and put it back in the cradle often, then it works well. It heats pretty rapidly. The steam functions very well and I love the ability to take the water compartment off and fill it in the sink. That is much easier than trying to fill a tiny hole and spilling water all over the ironing board. Overall, while not a perfect product, I have not regretted purchasing mine and as long as you know its limitations, you will get good service from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent choice for a cordless iron, May 25, 2009
I used this model at a quilt class and enjoyed it so much I bought one of my own. When I am doing a lot of pressing, I do revert to my corded iron since NO cordless can hold heat forever. The steam is excellent. I choose to use filtered water to reduce mineral buildup. The convenience of the case is another great feature. If I'm not going to be sewing for an extended period of time, dust doesn't accumulate on the iron. I have had a cordless iron in the past...it was junk...of course, they were a new concept way back then. This is a very good choice for times when you don't need heat for long periods of time. It does heat and reheat quickly when placed on the base.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic NI-L71SR 1500-Watt Cordless Steam Iron with Stainless-Steel Soleplate, White, December 12, 2008
Saumitra Biswas (silver spring, MD) - See all my reviews
excellent item, I don't know if this is the best ever, but must be very close, very happy with this product, no issues with the cordless function in terms of becoming cold too quickly

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as my Rowenta in Europe was..., February 7, 2013
I really really really prefer a cordless iron. When I lived in Europe I had a Rowenta one that was fabulous. Couldn't bring it back to the States, though, because of the 220 versus 110 issue. This Panasonic was the only one I could find that was at all similar to my all-time favorite, but it doesn't get hot enough, doesn't make as much steam, doesn't reheat fast enough and cuts itself off too quickly.

Rate and Discover Movies