Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Panasonic NN-CD989S Genius "Prestige" 1.5 cuft 1100-Watt Sensor Convection Microwave with Inverter Technology, Full Stainless Steel
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 11, 2010
This new Panasonic Convection Microwave machine is hands down the best appliance in my kitchen and worth every penny. Here's why:

Positives:
1. Extremely well built - Solid precision latches make it sound like a Mercedes car door when you close it.

2. Intuitive - Very user friendly. Easy to figure things out without having to pour over the owner's manual, unlike a lot of other microwaves. The time knob lets you quickly dial in 10 second increments of time, or you can let the machine autosense when it's hot using the reheat mode. It has a digital readout which tells you the next step in the process on certain options and provides status of where you are at in the cooking cycle as well.

3. New Technology - The Inverter Technology provides much more even heat, with very few hot spots. When I warm hard refrigerated quarters of butter in the morning so I can spread it on my toast, it softens evenly, unlike my previous micro that melted a big hole in the middle and left the rest hard. In the defrost mode, the food is thawed evenly, unlike the cooked edges that some micro's leave.

4. Performance - This machine cooks quickly and evenly and when you combine the micro and convection its extremely fast. In the combination mode the micro power is dropped to 30% and then combined with full convection heat to cook quickly and evenly. Lots of other features...the keep warm option, the broil and bake options, the easy to use dials, digital temperature guage, great recipe book, cooking recommendations, and owners manual.

5. The Look - Very sleek and very professional. Easy to clean and a kitchen show piece. You'll gets lots of compliments on it.

Negatives:
1. Size - As with all of my appliances I wish it was a bit larger, but it WILL allow a 9X13 rectangular glass casserole to rotate.

2. Trim Kit - Mine is also a built in, so I had to buy a separate trim kit which was not included in the price.

3. Customer Support - Panasonics only big mistake with this product, as they appear to have outsourced customer support to an overseas group. I had inquired about use of the wire rack when doing straight microwaving. Conflicting answers. Agents hard to understand and not very knowledgeable. Not sure my first contact even knew what a microwave convection oven was. All she could do was read a script. I know Panasonic feels that have to do this to remain price competitive (like many other companies out there) but it's certainly the weakest part of their product. Lets hope congress takes away the incentives and starts penalizing companies that ship jobs overseas.

All in all, it's a great second oven for baking, cooking, reheating, defrosting, letting bread rise, keep food warm during meal prep, etc. Great purchase. Highly recommended if you're looking for the best.
33 comments|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2010
I purchased and installed this microwave for a family member. We looked all over for a high quality built-in (above the oven, aka cabinet mount) convection microwave. The GE Profile and Advantium lines were very poorly rated online and did have a very good repair history. It's tough if you want a large microwave (capable of spinning a 9x13 dish) that is convection and has a good repair rating. After seeing that the selection available in the marketplace is poor (We looked at Sears, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, and at a "Factory Direct Appliance" store). All basically sold very few cabinet mount microwave and those that they did have were either a.) small and very cheap or b.) GE Advantium and very expensive ($1200). Since the Advantium has a very low customer rating all over the web, we decided it wasn't worth the money.

After reading online we noticed that approval ratings of Panasonic Microwaves were very high. They use a different style of microwave element that they call an inverter. This means that, when using lower power levels, the microwave doesn't turn on and off the element. For example power level 5 on almost every microwave means the element turns on for 2 seconds, then off for 2, then on again. This means that delicate foods come out screaming hot in places and cold in others. The Panasonic has a proprietary element that actually has adjustable amounts of power it can output. This is something that sounds like marketing but in this case it is truly unique and directly beneficial to the customer.

The "sensor" cook option works really well. We followed the directions to bake a potato. The microwave instructs you what to do on the display. The result was a large perfectly well baked potato in about 90 seconds all managed by the sensor. I was shocked at how well it worked and how fast it was.

Be purchased the mount kit (the unit is for countertop use out of the box). The kit, while expensive, is very high quality and well designed. It was easy to install and looks great. It matches the Samsung fridge perfectly and is neither cheap looking nor "showy". It, like the microwave, is very austere and modern looking without being too "high tech" looking.

I'm VERY pleased about this microwave and think that its a good value for its price. It comes with racks and ceramic turn table. The interior is all stainless steel. Overall I can't find a place that Panasonic cut a corner in the microwave, accessories, or the trim kit. For the price (less than half the price of an Advantium) the build quality is perfect.
11 comment|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2011
This is a very user friendly microwave. If you only use the microwave function, I am sure you'd be happy with it. But it's also a handy little oven. I have made pizzas, cookies, and even a pork loin roast in it! I cooked the pork loin using the combo cooking function (microwave plus convection) just to test it out. The results were very good; a nice moist roast. A 14-in round pizza pan or stone fits in it and also (just barely!) a 9x13 baking dish. And yes, you CAN put metal pans in it when in oven mode. When we first got it we set it up on the counter in our main kitchen for a couple weeks and played around with it. Then we moved it to our newly renovated "bar" in the basement which truthfully is a small, very functional kitchen. This oven is a great solution as we can use it for popcorn, etc. in microwave mode, but also bake pizzas. Another idea I haven't actually done yet is to use it to bake or warm a casserole for a big holiday dinner when my main oven is busy cooking a turkey or something. In fact I like this oven so much I've decided that when we renovate the main kitchen I am NOT going to opt for the double wall ovens but instead get a regular range plus another one of these and then I will have 2 ovens plus a microwave, basically! I think it's a wise investment and a very excellent product.
44 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2012
This product did not work out of box: So we are now in mid-September. I shipped the microwave to an "authorized" dealer in July 2012. It took Panasonic two months to get them the parts and once installed, the microwave still shuts off after two seconds. Dealer has no idea what is wrong with this microwave. Panasonic refused to help in on the tech support line because they said my microwave was a "Canadian" model. Really????? I bought it from Amazon.com....WTF is up with that response, Panasonic??? I have tried calling Panasonic only to be hung up on repeatedly by their automated system. I cannot get a live voice at all.

Save yourself time and money and don't buy this product!

Oct. 11, 2013
I wanted to put an update on this review. I just realized that I had not done so. The authorized dealer contacted his field rep. This field rep was able to get panasonic to replace out my microwave. It took almost six months from start to finish. The authorized dealer returned the broken one for me and, had panasonic ship me the new one - and it worked superbly. Had it not been for the exceptional efforts of the authorized dealer I took my microwave too, I would not have a microwave that works. So I am grateful for their time and effort on my behalf. Had it not been for them, I would not have a replacement.
on January 5, 2011
Had it for 3 weeks now and it is great! Much quieter than the Viking we had before, and microwaves and defrosts a lot more evenly. The convection oven heats up quickly and does a great job. Easy to use, too, and looks great. Couldn't be any happier.
on June 4, 2012
I'm heartbroken. This product was purchased primarily for its convection function. It cooks beautifully (5-stars, no less)! However, the first oven was returned to Amazon,followed by a second, due to an intermittent squealing noise on both after heating for approx 10 mins. (Frankly, if Amazon would continue replacing, we would have kept ordering until a non-squealer arrived, so much did I LOVE that oven!)

First oven : other reviews referred to not cooking to temperature. We tested -- sure enough, it was running approx 50 degrees cooler. However, we found that cooking times remained unchanged, so we simply overlooked the discrepancy in temperature. What worried us was that the oven "squealed" intermittently (and also had an occasional grinding noise!), but we found no mention of this in reviews. Panasonic customer services advised my husband to switch it off, unplug and then try again (as if he hadn't done that already!) -- and, thereafter, to contact our local service agent. The service agent suggested we bring it in -- not what we wanted to hear having spent in excess of $500. We declined, hoping the squeal might disappear over time. It didn't. And then one day, it simply stopped working in the middle of cooking dinner. Amazon were great about returning and replacing.

Oven two: Squealed as above (but no grinding). Heart wanted to keep the oven; head said otherwise. I cried as it disappeared out the door...
on March 24, 2011
I had a twenty ton Panasonic convection microwave that was perfect. Magically cooked vegetables to perfection...somehow. Did the usual microwave stuff and baked excellently. It was built like a tank...and weighed almost as much. When the door slammed it sounded like a Rolls. Then that terrible day...it stopped working and the guy told me parts were no longer available. Almost exactly 20 years of wonderful Panasonic service.

I slipped and bought a Sharp...one year later it broke and I said...never again...I'm going back to Panasonic.

The NN-CD909S seemed to be IT.

It works fine. But it is much lighter and seemingly more cheaply built. For example, the light inside the oven, which will surely burn out...cannot be replaced by the owner...it is a factory tech repair job! On convection...the top and sides get so hot that you can't touch them (well....you can..but it really hurts)!!! REALLY cheap in my opinion. The old one was big enough to contain sufficient insulation.

It does do veggies magically, like the old one. You can crank the power up and down, instead of being on HIGH with only shorter or longer cooking times. I tried all levels and stopped using it. It didn't seem to make much difference to me.

So...if this is the best Panasonic can do...well...I wish I had my old one back. They built a heck of a convection microwave in those days. It seems that this unit is the modern equivalent of my old one after the "beancounters" figured out how to manufacture it for less.

Amazon's service was wonderful. Prompt delivery with no shipping cost under their delivery plan.
on August 10, 2014
Started out great. Now (less than 3 years later) it has quit working and shows a code that means it is basically unrepairable. The magnetron has gone out! Google searches indicate that this is VERY common with Panasonic microwaves. We absolutely did not get $ 600+ worth of use out of it. Sure it is a great microwave with lots of nice features. Defrosts well. Sensor reheat is nice. Convection bake also works well. All that is academic now that it is useless.
It is very common for Panasonic microwaves to go out after only a year or two. Even more common within 2-3 years. I recommend you stay away from Panasonic, especially high priced models like this.
on July 24, 2012
The first oven was delivered with a broken door latch. Could not open the door. Amazon had UPS pick it up the next day, and a replacement arrived quickly.

The second oven arrived, looked good, and cooked very well for several days. Today, on day 4, it shuts off in convection mode twice. Then all the buttons become unresponsive. The controller must be defunct.

I am very disappointed, especially when I looked at the reviews and found that broken door latches are a common complaint here at Amazon. Someone else here just received one like that this week! This is a $500+ appliance. This kind of quality control is unacceptable.

Our second second unit is being returned for a refund. I cannot trust Panasonic's distribution centers to not ship me a third defective unit.

Sorry Amazon, but not your fault.
It is difficult at best to find convection/microwave combos in stores. This baffles me because I've owned 5 of these over the years and won't go with a a microwave unless they stop making the combo units. My last c/m was made by Sharp and was in continuous service for 12 years until it died a couple of months ago.
I was so desperate to replace the Sharp that I let my fingers do the walking and bought a Cuisinart model locally. While I liked the Cuisinart, my biggest gripe was that it isn't easy to program. Now it is relegated to my other home.
I found this Panasonic model at a local appliance store for around $600. My husband was hesitant about ordering it through Amazon because we had return issues with the Cuisinart and it is easier to return an item locally. As it turned out, there were no problems with this one. It is easy to use, offers plenty of interior space to accommodate a large casserole or baking pan, and a simple wipe with a damp cloth constitutes clean-up. The convection temperature is accurate (I tested this out) and there are no hot spots. The forced air operation of the convection oven is why everyone should go with convection. Nothing burns or cooks unevenly. You can cook in dual cook mode (a combination of microwave convection cooking) and using metal pans offers no safety issues when using convection mode only.
It is attractive, relatively compact compared to my old Sharp, and offers a lot of versatility re: cooking options. The microwave feature offers inversion cooking as an additional draw. This was an unexpected benefit. Now microwaveable foods warm evenly; the sides cook evenly on a dish and does not require extra cook time or redistributing the food in a dish.
It's construction is better than the Cuisinart unit but a tad less substantial than my old workhorse Sharp. The price I paid wasn't great, but I would have saved $ and the subsequent tax if I had bought it through Amazon. Live and learn.
I love this and will appreciate it more when holidays or summer heat come around.