1,525 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and outstanding microwave
This is our first inverter microwave oven. We had to replace a small cheapo disposable microwave we got at a big discount retail chain.

This is a nice midsized oven. It does not dominate your counter space like the larger counter top ovens, and it also large enough to do more than pop popcorn.

We eat alot of the low calorie diet tv dinners.. this...
Published on June 13, 2012 by Marc Mest

3.0 out of 5 stars Imperfect Though It Cooks Food Reasonably Well
Published on July 22, 2012 by Robert I. Hedges

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and outstanding microwave, June 13, 2012

We eat alot of the low calorie diet tv dinners.. this oven heats them evenly and to perfection. The microwave panini meals even end up with toasted crisp bread.

In 30 years this is probably the best microwave oven we have owned, and you cannot beat the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, July 23, 2012
B. Shumway (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews
I ordered this to supply a microwave for the new house. It is easy to use, works well, and looks good. It was also well packaged and arrived pretty quickly. All in all, I am satisfied with its performance.

Also, It doesnt feel cheap and the button to open it doesn't stick. I also like that you can just press the buttons for the time that you want instead of having to hit a specific input time button or turn a dial or do some other form of annoying time wasting step. You just press 1-3-0 start for a minute 30. Exactly how it should be.

I have been using it more and more, and it heats food quickly and evenly. I have had to adjust my microwave intuition (setting it for how much your food really needs) because it gets hot pretty quickly. Again, satisfied and would recommend!

As always, please indicate if this was helpful.

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Look No Further, May 27, 2012
After 31 years of faithful service from a Sharp Microwave, it was time for an update. This Panasonic fit the ticket perfectly. It arrived on time as stated and works great. On the highest setting, it boiled water in 45 seconds and heated a bowl of soup in 20 seconds. Nice!! It has 10 different heat settings including defrost, cook delay, a keep warm feature, and it's very quiet. For the price of this machine, you can't go wrong!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Imperfect Though It Cooks Food Reasonably Well, July 22, 2012
I generally like Panasonic products, which is why when my GE microwave gave up the ghost I decided to buy the NN-SN651W as a replacement. This product has several pros and cons, but on balance I would purchase another model if I had to do it over again. One thing that is excellent is the instruction manual: it is quite thorough, and if you happen to have issues with yours, it's a great place to start and is well ahead of competitors. The oven itself is quite powerful and cooks food very quickly. Having said that, despite the turntable feature my experience is that the food cooks somewhat unevenly (especially true for defrosting or reheating products with meat in them.) I find it to be on par with the Amana and GE products I have owned in this area, maybe a tad more uneven. I do think on balance that it's an effective microwave. My biggest objection by far is the noise it makes when operating. It is very loud, and is far louder than any other microwave I have ever owned including a first-generation Amana. The noise is the primary reason that I gave the oven three stars, and also the primary reason I say I would not buy this oven again.

Despite Panasonic's reputation for quality, I think the NN-SN651W is a mediocre microwave at best. It cooks food mostly adequately, but has some annoying ergonomics and is much louder than expected. Unless you are dead set on a midrange Panasonic microwave, I think you are better off looking elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but doesn't last, November 10, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic NN-SN661S Genius 1.2 cuft 1200-Watt Sensor Microwave with Inverter Technology, Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
This microwave has a lot to boast about: innovative technology, easy to keep clean, and modern appearance. Unfortunately we were only able to enjoy ours for just over a year. Three weeks after the anniversary of its purchase, it died. We tried every cooking mode, but it shuts itself off after about 2 seconds. Very disappointing for what I thought was a great brand. Our previous Panasonic microwave lasted about 20 years. I know they don't design them to last that long anymore, but I think it should at least survive for 5 years. I read some other reviews from folks who have had similar experiences.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not great, July 7, 2012
This unit was my first experience with the "inverter heating technology". I like it so much better than my older units that when on reduced power cooking, it just gave you shorter durations of full power heating. This unit actually reduces the cooking power over the total cooking time. I no longer experience overheated spots on my defrosted meats. I seldom actually cook anything in it, other than fresh vegetables. I mostly re-heat left-overs, de-frost meats, heat frozen dishes, and quickly boil water when needed. However, the "inverter" funtion is about all that I really like about this model.

The things that I was dissatisfied with are: The interior light does not come on when the door is open; it is not a quiet operating unit, if fact, I would describe it as quite noisey; there is a 5 beep alarm that sounds upon the completion of the heating cycle, but no further notice alerting you that food is still in the microwave awaiting to be removed; you cannot use the timer function if your heating something in the microwave; and finally the opening and closing of the oven door is very hard to do. The force required to push the "door open button" is quite excessive. I doubt children under the age of 15 would be able to open it, and you cannot just push the door closed, you nearly have to slam it closed. So, in short I have very mixed feelings about recommending this unit to anyone.

(An update after two years of use) The microwave still operates, although, lately I'm starting to notice the machine stopping during the heating cycle and clearing the control panel settings. So if I'm there at the time this happens, I have to guesstimate the remaining time needed and re-set the control panel accordingly. I suspect that with all of the door slamming's I've had to apply to close the door, it has had an effect to the door safety switch contacts. I have doubts that it will last out the rest of the year.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor interface - Dead in less than 18 months, February 19, 2012
Got this a few days ago after my previous microwave suddenly died after 10 years of service. $129 at Target. After throwing away the paperwork because it's only a microwave, I had to fish the instructions out of the trash to figure out how to set the power level. To cook at 10% power, you have to push the power button ten (10) times, then set the time, then hit the start button. So that's about 14 button pushes each time you want to cook at 10%. That's 14 if you don't make a mistake along the way and have to start all over again. I don't mind the extra exercise, but spending all that time on the settings is annoying. On other microwaves, you hit the power button once and then the "1" button to set at 10%.

Also, the readout never confirms what the settings are. It shows time, but nothing else. I've had one disaster already where I thought I set it at 10%, but it was cooking at full power. The readout needs to confirm what the power level is during the cooking process. No idea why dots or periods are occasionally jumping around on the readout. Will update this review after I use it more.

Before searching the trash, I tried to download the manual from the Panasonic website. The link to the manuals is broken. A sign says the website is being worked on and they're sorry for the inconvenience.

AUGUST 2013 UPDATE: On top of everything else, the microwave stopped working altogether in less than 18 months. It's now been recycled and I've replaced it with a different brand. I suspect, but I don't know for sure, that the early demise of the Panasonic had something to do with their "Inverter" feature, which is supposed to continuously microwave at reduced power levels, rather than, say at 10%, cook on full power 1/10th of the time and zero power for other 9/10. That's just my guess. In any event, it's a goner in less than 18 months.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy this, October 27, 2012
It's a piece of crap. it died suddenly about a month after we bought it. of course, it was right after amazon's 30 day return period expired. so we have to take it to a Panasonic service center to fix or get a new one. there are none close to us and they are only open during weekdays 9 -5 when of course we can't go. such a hassle. so we just gave up and are going to buy a new one in store. will never buy a Panasonic again. should have listened to the reviews warning that theirs died after 6 months. ours didn't even last that long.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best I found after researching, July 5, 2013
Vicki Siedow (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I read ALL the reviews at the time of my purchase a few months ago, and want to address some reviewers' comments. I did a lot of research before choosing this one. I learned that there seems to be more dissatisfaction with microwaves in general than with most other products. The next runner up had a higher rating, but the negative comments included catching on fire.

This microwave works fine, and is faster than most others I've used. It's a good value for the price. Several people commented negatively that the coating on the number pad started bubbling right away. Well, people, that's because it's shipped with a peel-off clear coating like you find on most electronic devices these days. I left it on to protect the number pad more, but don't worry about the bubbling. Several people complained that there is no inside light. I don't mind that as my lighting is OK. One reviewer mentioned that (s)he likes the absence of a light because (s)he occasionally leaves the door slightly ajar to air out. Good idea! The defrost and reheat leftovers functions work well. Some said it was noisy, but I don't find it any different than my old microwave, which included a top browning feature which I seldom used and which made it a pain to clean. This one cleans easily. It does cause a slight static on my cell or cordless phone if I'm standing right in front of it while talking, so maybe I'm getting zapped, I don't know. I used to worry more about such things but these days it's impossible to avoid electronic "noise." I just try not to hug it while it's working. Overall, while it's not perfect it works well and is a good value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Falling apart, April 13, 2012
I have had this thing for just over one year, one person moderate use, with a microwave cover to keep things from boiling/splattering over. I try to wash it down as I use it and yet the corners, top and front edges are yellowing and resist my efforts to clean it.

But worse yet, as of today, the finish is now peeling off the bottom in the roller track exposing a black metal. After zapping a meal, I had assumed there was a black food something that dropped under the rollers, so I wiped it with a soft sponge and was horrified to find I was quickly and easily peeling off more and more of the white finish exposing a black material. I'm now afraid the roller wheels will continue to strip the track of the white finish making this little bugger an even bigger fire hazard then it is now..?

And as a side bar; the start button has become stiff and indented requiring that I reset and fiddle to free it. Suppose it's next to die? Bottom line: CHEAP CHEAP Junk!