5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Microwave I Have Ever Used
When it comes to Microwave ovens it is hard to beat Panasonic's Inverter technology. It really works and it heats food faster and more evenly. That technology alone makes this Microwave worth it.

Actually has a stainless steel exterior. This is not brushed aluminum or silver plastic. It is steel and it is magnetic. It looks really good.

Because...
Published 14 months ago by Stephen W. Templar

Published 10 months ago by jliz

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Microwave I Have Ever Used, September 27, 2013
Stephen W. Templar "rexGun" (Winchester, Virginia - United States of America) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Because the internal dimensions are closer to square than most Microwave ovens (39cm x 44cm x 21cm) you can cook larger food items and they will still rotate on the carousel. This oven allows full cooking with rotation of items that are 15 inches across / wide by 7.5 inches high. Yes, you can cook a frozen pizza and it will rotate and cook correctly. You can also use an 8x11 casserole dish in it.

Overall I am very pleased with this Microwave oven and I highly recommend it and all Panasonic Inverter Microwaves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection in a microwave-with today's technology and workhorse power, October 28, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic Genius NN-SN973S 2.2 cuft 1250 Watt Microwave with Inverter Technology, Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I met a gourmet couple once who were about to be married and agreed they both never wanted to own a microwave. It was beneath them.

I do not think like this. And I cook 3 meals per day, minimum. Look, sometimes you just want to soften butter, reheat leftovers, defrost...let's face it.

This is a good looking oven and it can be housed countertop or under cabinets as well. If you need a microwave oven with a vent on the bottom (a rarity but if you have a microwave oven OVER your stop top) this will not replace that one--know going in. Stainless steel, it looks sleek and stays clean well.

The wattage is the first you will notice. It cooks faster. At over 1,200 watts, this is higher than many on the market and likely higher than one installed in any new home as wattage seems to be something many new home builders skimp on in my experience, but you will immediately notice things cook faster when you reach this level.

Now let't get to the inverter technology...most microwaves defrost or cook on low by turning the microwave high temp on and off. In other words, it does not actually reduce the heat, it just cooks on high on and off. This new heating invention is on few microwaves but it was fun to try and a must-have once you see it in play. It actually cooks on a lower temperature! This means if you want to melt chocolate, for example, and don't want to break out the double boiler, but hate the burned chocolate around the edge of your bowl with the uncooked hard chocolate in the center? Now you got it. This showed even heating on low temps but even more even heating on high temperatures. Great for softening butter in a pinch for baking...melted butter will NOT work, so this gets it soft evenly.

It offers a bigger size than many ovens as well at 2.2 cubic feet--meaning even my big casserole dish could have leftovers reheated within it and just popped in the microwave, lid on.

Now sure it has your staples like the popcorn button and all, but how it COOKS is what you look for in an oven---it has your typical bells and whistles as far as microwaves go but being able to cook on low and do so evenly is not the norm and this one shines, then when you want to zap fast and high--that pizza is reheated pronto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product!, October 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love this microwave! Along with being great doing the basic microwave stuff like heating up water, or making popcorn, it's fantastic when de-frosting! De-frosting is done evenly, so I didn't have the problem I usually have where parts of the food starts cooking before other parts are even thawed. Even cooking is the best part about this microwave in general. One thing I do nearly every morning in my microwave is make oatmeal. Generally, I have to keep a sharp eye on the bowl in the microwave, because oatmeal tends to bubble over if you're not careful. Since using this microwave, I have not had a bowl of oatmeal boil over on me. The directions were clear and easy to understand, and all the various features for this microwave are also clear and easy to understand.

The one very minor negative I can see with this microwave is the size. For someone like me with a small kitchen, it's hard to find a place where it will fit! BUT this is also a positive, too, because it fits larger platters and bowls. So, if you have a smaller kitchen with not that much room, you might want to look at a smaller microwave, but if you have the room in your kitchen, this microwave is highly recommended. It's one of the best I've ever used.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those looking for a good sized 2.2 cubic foot microwave that gets the job done!, September 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
(Please note that this review is for the 2.2 cubic foot but Amazon combines both the 1.6 and 2.2 reviews on the same page)

When it comes to microwaves, there is no doubt that there are many in the market, each offers something new and different or just the basic needs that people are looking for.

But for those who are needing a new microwave or to upgrade, one may want to take a look at the Panasonic NN-SN973S 2.2 Cubic foot, 1250-Watt Inverter Microwave.

Let's take a look at how this microwave works!

I. THE MICROWAVE - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Upon receiving the shipment, I freaked out a bit because the box was huge (width wise) and wasn't sure if it would fit in our usual kitchen corner area where we keep our microwaves. But upon opening the box and placing the microwave in the corner, it fit just perfectly.

The box comes with the microwave, the glass dish to go inside (and rotates) the microwave and instructions.

My first impressions was how sleek the microwave looked with the steel trim and how it complimented our kitchen area. When I opened the microwave door, the first thing you notice is how spacious things are inside.

Programming the new time was easy and some mentioned the light was dim, but it depends on the angle you are in but it's not so bad but some may like the bigger illumination of other microwaves...but I didn't mind too much with the illumination of this microwave, it was fine.

I went ahead and made miso soup and noticed there is no large piercing sounds when it's done cooking. Our previous microwave would shoot out several audible beeps but this one, its short and quick. So, parents of newborns, shouldn't have to worry about the large repeated sounds of heating things up in the microwave.

But the buttons are quite easy to use...sensor reheat, popcorn, sensor cook, keep warm, quick minute, Inverter Turbo Defrost. There is also a child lock.

For the keep warm feature, it keeps food warm for up to 30 minutes after cooking.

The Inverter Turbo Defrost Feature allows to defrost food by entering the weight. So, if it's 14-15 ounces, just hit the Inverter Turbo Defrost, hit 15 and hit start.

Sensor Reheat allows to reheat cooked, refrigerated food without setting a time.

Sensor Cook feature allows you to cook food without setting a time. You can select the desired food on the display window. Such as oatmeal, breakfast sausage, omelete, frozen entrees, frozen pizza, potatoes, fresh vegetables, pasta, fish fillet, etc.

But for the most part, the microwave is easy to figure out.

The instructions are quite detailed (in English and Spanish) and also comes with microwave recipes and how to clean your microwave.

JUDGMENT CALL:

Yes, there are new technology of microwaves out there. Some that toast and bake, some with televisions built inside it.

But the Panasonic NN-SN973S 2.2 Inverter Technology Microwave Oven, 1250 watt is a microwave for those who want a microwave that is large and spacious inside, has buttons to choose what heating need to be done and don't want to randomly choose a number. If anything, the microwave makes things much easier for people to defrost and cook food. Enter the ounces for defrosting or enter a sensor cook by looking at the food display shown on the display screen.

So, this microwave does try to take the guesswork out for some people who worry about those things but for the most part, this microwave looks stylish, very spacious and gets the job done!

I have read other reviews about people who have had the latch broken off, I have never had that problem with this microwave but like anything similar to even a washer, slamming the doors can lead to broken latches. You have to be gentle with it and also remind the children to be gentle with how they close the doors. But I haven't had an issue with this for a microwave and hopefully never will.

Panasonic does have an Inverter technology Microwave with Convection technology Panasonic NN-CD989S Genius "Prestige" 1.5 cuft 1100-Watt Sensor Convection Microwave with Inverter Technology, Full Stainless Steel but it is a bit pricey.

But for those looking for a microwave with a lot of space and a microwave that takes a lot of the guesswork of cooking food in the microwave or defrost in the microwave and one that looks stylish, I do recommend the Panasonic NN-SN973S 2.2!

Highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective at less than 90 days, no replacement, cheaply constructed, February 16, 2014
We have had numerous microwaves since they fist made them and this is the poorest in construction of any. We thought we were buying a quality product. It is smaller than expected. We measured the one we were replacing and were surprised when it was smaller. Accepted we must have made an error and began learning the difficult use procedures (compared with unit we were replacing) and went forward with light use by 2 adults. The door began to require more and more pressure to close and eventually by 90 days required full force to close or slamming. A normal, gentle push to close like those in the past was no more! It finally has become unacceptable and is obviously worsening. Not available for Amazon replacement (missed by 2 weeks) and Panasonic requires we mail it to repair center at our cost and no idea how long it may take. We have a lot of Panasonic products, this will be our last. Cheap look, cheap construction, difficult procedures to memorize for sensor cooking. I rarely review, this was so bad it called for a warning to potential buyers.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, September 18, 2013
Rocketman (Chino Hills, CA) - See all my reviews
I decided to give this Panasonic a try after my last GE pooped out after about 18 months. This microwave is unusually deep inside and has noticeably more power than any I've owned. The big 15" diameter turntable is a plus, but the speed with which it cooks is its best feature. The only disappointment is the relatively dim time display.....No excuse for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful "Counter-Depth" Microwave, w Grey-on-Grey buttons, October 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
PROS- Large, variable power levels, sensor cooking, keep warm mode, can turn off beep, 1250 watts
CONS- Large, hard-to-read buttons, mugs boil over, needs +30 sec button

This microwave has a few cool features. Unlike previous microwaves I've had, it has variable power levels (instead of cycling on and then off for reduced power levels), supposedly yielding more even cooking. It also has sensor cooking which I find very handy (cook until done, as detected by steam sensors), and a keep-warm mode. I find that reheat is useful for most frozen vegetables, for example.

However, the large size can make it hard to fit into a smaller kitchen. I had to rethink the arrangement of our kitchen counters in order to find a usable place for it. It protrudes 20.5 inches from the wall, which is almost as deep as my "counter-depth" refrigerator (and is 21.7" wide). (In contrast, my old broken over-the-stove GE microwave protruded out 11 inches).

Depending on your needs, its large size can be a plus or a minus. Since microwave time increases as the amount of food increases, microwaves don't have as much of an advantage over regular stoves/ovens with larger quantities.

Given its high wattage, it would be nice if it had a +30 second button rather than the +1 minute button it does have.

One problem I am having is that my mugs start boiling *before* the entire amount of stirred liquid becomes hot enough, so that if I am heating anything besides pure water, it boils over before being done. Instead, I have to heat up a mug partway, stir, then finish heating up. Seems like it is developing significant hot spots -- my old GE over-stove 1250 watt oven didn't have this problem.

Another problem I have with this oven is that control buttons are hard to read. They are charcoal gray, with lighter metallic gray text (similar to the color of the stainless steel). The caps are about 1/8 inch high, and lower-case about half that, all on a black background (the product photo is lighter than they are in real life). Older eyes cannot read them without a strong flashlight, so for our household I have had to annotate the major buttons with stickers with large clear print. Also, the clock/display is not readable if you are looking at it from an angle.

It is really nice that the beeps can be turned off on this model. (I have other appliances that beep way too much, and I often feel glad that I don't have any sleeping babies or day-sleeping shift-workers to be bothered by them.)

Though the manual is good about microwave cooking in general, recipes are lacking -- I was hoping they would provide some good examples to take advantage of the larger capacity of this appliance. However, there are only five recipes: three noodle casseroles (two with precooked noodles, one with uncooked and extra water), shepherds pie, and omelet, that is it. I looked on the Panasonic website to see if there were more recipes that use a large microwave to good advantage, but only found a cookbook that they are selling. (If you're going to buy a microwave cookbook, Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet would be a great choice for a wide variety of tasty recipes for microwave cooking in general.)

The door appears to be brushed stainless steel and black plastic, but the sides are metallic gray painted sheet-metal (magnetic).

4.0 out of 5 stars Vastly improved door latch!, November 29, 2013
You may find reviews on this page complaining of a door latch failure within or just after warranty lapse.

As with many Amazon pages, similar models of a product often have reviews mixed up on a page.

Here I am talking about Panasonic Genius NN-SN773S 1.6 Cuft 1250 Watt with Inverter

I had bought one of the Panasonic microwaves of this same variety in 2011 B000ON6HMS , which is NN-SD-797S and the door latch was loud and stiff right out of the box. It began showing signs of failing in mid-2013, so in October I bought this NN-SN773S. Considering the loud outcry on Amazon about that door latch problem, I was pretty sure it would be fixed in the next or following model-year. As far as I can tell right now, yes, IT WAS FIXED.

I let it sit in the box as I figured I'd just use up the old one, but it would work after much repeated door slamming until the latch caught. I finally gave up and trashed it, opened the box for the new one and set it up.

It has a totally redesigned control panel and door latch, and seems pretty standard/competitive with all other mid-size microwaves.

The old one (797S) had a knob you had to turn to set the numbers. This one has a touch-pad.

They are the same in dimensions and functions, so I only had to glance at the instructions to see how to set the clock -- was delighted that you set the clock simply by poking the clock button and punching in the numbers for the time.

REASONS FOR JUST 4 STARS:
The shape of the interior is just a hair too low to put in tall items with a lid.
The control panel is BLACK -- and the button labels are not bright and big enough to read in a dim room;.
When working, it's just a tich too LOUD -- not a lot, just a tiny bit. Maybe if installed in an overhead compartment, the sound wouldn't be so annoying.
The BEEP when it's finished isn't loud or insistent enough -- but that doesn't irk me, personally.

If this lasts longer, and defrosts, heats, and cooks as well after a couple of years, I'll be happy.;

Meanwhile, the LOUD SLAM of a defective door is gone from my kitchen. This one, you just swing it to and push a little, and it latches like a normal microwave.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good microwave but you can get a simpler one cheaper, November 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a decent microwave but I only gave it three stars because its a little pricey for what it is and what it does. There are a lot of "new" fancy features but I have never been one to use a lot of those preset cooking features so for me, I would prefer one that does what it needs to do simply, easily and at a good price.

For me, the two buttons I use the most are the "miute plus" and "power" buttons. My favorite microwave to date is a Kitchenaid that is no longer made where you simply hit MINUTE PLUS and it immediately starts to cook for a minute, hit MINUTE PLUS again to additional minutes. If you want to change the power setting, hit the POWER and each press reduces power by 10%. With this one, you hit MINUTE PLUS for the time you want then you have to hit START. If you want to change the power setting...too bad, you have to start over and do that first. Sorry, that little thing bugs me.

Please also note that the stock image Amazon uses is not of the 1.6 cu. foot model (i assume that is the 2.2 cu foot model) from the specs that amazon has, the 1.6 cu foot model has an almost identical footprint as the 2.2 cu foot model but they have are a couple inches different in height. This can either be a plus or a minus (if you are like me and enjoy hot beverages in a tall glass, that might be a minus)

Pros:
+ GOOD POWER - there are units out there with more power but i have found that 1200 watts is completely adequate for the average household. Unless you frequently like to cook an entire roast or chicken in the microwave I would take the energy savings of the lower wattage over the few seconds you may save cooking smaller items.

+ NICE CASE - this unit has a stainless front with a silver power coated case that covers the top and sides. This is great when you use this unit on the countertop. I have had other units that have a stainless front and black powder coating on the case. It looks horrible on the coutertop.

+LOTS OF PRESET COOKING FUNCTIONS - I don't use these much but tried it...seems to work as it should

+COUNTDOWN TIMER - easy to use and access countdown timer. You can 'thave too many timers in a kitchen

Cons:
- CANT SEE DISPLAY FROM COUNTER HEIGHT - I'm average height and when this unit is on the countertop, the display has horrible contrast. If you are looking at the display it has great contrast. I would suggest using a different type of display in the future that has much wider fields of view all vertically and horizontally

-HARD TO SET TIME - I have never had to read a manual to set the clock...I had to do that for this one. Every time I tried to set the clock, I initiated the countdown timer

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, August 29, 2013
My family loves this microwave, it is an awesome buy it cooks, thaws or warms in half the time. the inverter technology is a well thought out plan it make the wait less,it time consuming for the normal microwave cooking.I love the silver look I matches very well all the other items in the kitchen. I can fit my big glass platters in it with no problems of being to small.it thaws all the food, meats, etc.all at the same time, just I love it almost as much as the last Panasonic. there were a lot of short comings with the last one but of course it was fourteen years old. the only problem with this one is it has a lot of power, example, I had my roaster and microwave plugged up at the same time. it would trip the power cord. I tried several power cords brand new ones for multipurpose. they all fail so I had to put the roaster somewhere else. I love my microwave. it is a five star microwave.