Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on January 21, 2013
I love the projector, never-mind the 3D, it is not a subtle upgrade from the PT-AE4000. In terms of picture quality, everything is better - brightness, contrast, and clarity. It is actually bright enough that in a reasonably light controlled setting, you could run in ECO mode and be perfectly happy. Again, going from PT-AE4000 to the 8000 is well worth it. 3D seemed fine, just make sure that you purchase the correct 3D glasses as there are different versions, even within Panasonic.

Now the bad part - I like everyone else, try to save a buck when I can. I didn't realize that Amazon allowed grey-market, marketplace dealers; but in retrospect, I guess that was my own naivety. BIG VALUE, Inc. IS NOT AUTHORIZED TO SELL Panasonic. They claim that they are just like buying from your retail store, but I have never had a retail store that was grey-market. Your rebates and warranties WILL NOT be honored by Panasonic. Unfortunately the way I found this out was by trying to redeem a rebate. By the time I received a denial from Panasonic and clarification from BIG VALUE, Inc, I was outside of the 30 day return window.

I will go though the claim process and hopefully Amazon will support my side based on BIG VALUE's deceptive marketing, but it's an expensive lesson to learn; as regardless as to whether I am able to return the projector; I also lost out on the two free pairs of 3D glasses and the $100 rebate check.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2013
Before writing a review I like to use a product for more than 6 months before commenting. I completed a theater room back in January 2013 and purchased the Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector.

After nearly 8 months of continual use the Panasonic PT-AE8000U performance is amazing. It worked right out of the box with very little setup time and continues to deliver an incredible picture. The 3D effect with glasses is better than what you'd see in a movie theater. For under $3000.00 it is a phenomenal projector. The projector image is extremely bright and clear. I've actually had friends come over to watch a movie all along thinking it was a plasma screen TV until someone walks in front of the screen.

Football season is a whole new adventure! Go Saints!

Here is my setup:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE8000U
Surround Sound: Yamaha RX-V363
Speakers: 5.1-channel Insignia NS-HT 51
Optical Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3D Blu-ray DVD Player
Screen: Fixed Frame 106" HD Screen

My HTPC for streaming video is a docked laptop
Dell Latitude E4310
CPU: i5 2.67GHz
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 250 GB
OS: Windows 7 Home
Keyboard: Microsoft bluetooth (plan to switch to a touch pad keyboard)

I HIGHLY Recommend this product!!!

on March 22, 2013
I wanted to wait a while before writing this review, but I can't hold off any longer. So far I have about 40 hours on this projector and I absolutely love it! I have it ceiling mounted in the rear of our home theater. The room is completely light controlled, and I am projecting on a 120" wide, 2.35 aspect ratio acoustically transparent screen. Throw distance is approximately 17'.

Out of the box without any adjustments, I thought the picture was great. I did a quick calibration this past weekend with the Disney WOW BD, and tweaked a few of the picture settings. Now the picture is fantastic! Colors are rich, great blacks and detail in dark/shadowy parts of movies, whites are bright when they should be. Everything really pops. Sharp focus and details as well. We have watched a mixture of HDTV, 16:9 movies, and 2.35:1 movies. All have been 2D. I don't have any 3D movies (or glasses for that matter) so can't comment on the 3D performance.

One feature that I really love is the auto sensing of the movie's aspect ratio. Everyone has to comment on how cool it is that once a 2.35:1 AR movie starts playing, the picture zooms to fill the entire screen automatically. I have to admit that I don't get tired of seeing that happen. Very cool.

One thing to keep in mind if you are going to use the auto AR switching is mounting location. In general, the center of the lens should be no higher than the top of the screen. Mine is about 2" higher, and I can still make it work with the lens shift and v-area position controls, but I don't think it would work if it were much higher than that. I'm sure this varies with throw distance and screen size, so make sure to test before you permanently mount it.

Also, if you are expecting to get the Panasonic rebate, you need to know that Amazon is NOT an officially authorized reseller of this product. They may be for other Panasonic items, but this is considered a "business class" projector, and Panasonic only has 5 authorized resellers for this projector. I'm not saying don't buy it from Amazon, I just want you to be aware that you will not qualify for the Panasonic rebate if you do. I found that out the hard way.

Overall I give this projector 5 stars. In my opinion, it would be very difficult to find a better projector with more features in this price range. I would not hesitate to recommend this projector to anyone.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2013
Compared to my previous old 2004 NEC LT-260K projector, which was quite good in my dedicated HT room - wow, big improvement!!
I recommend to compare, and the Panasonic PT-AE8000U was very highly rated!
I've only had the new projector installed for a couple weeks, but here's the differences I've experienced so far:
- Improved 1920x1080 Resolution (Now can even sit on the floor in front of the big 122in screen and it's still quite clear!)
- Much greater Contrast Ratio! (500,000:1) Night Scenes are much clearer, and gives more depth of field.
- Brighter (Can even use room lighting now if desired with very little screen washout!)
- Quieter Fan (better during silent passages...)
- Longer Lamp Life (2000-3000 previously, and now 4000hrs, 5000 in eco)
- More refinement / adjustability controls options
- 3D capability that didn't have before... (Can be immersed in the movie if you choose on occasion... Wow! Amazing!)
- 2D to 3D Conversion option
- Power Zoom & Power Focus, as well as other setup improvements
- Better Color Interpretation
- Very fast 480Hz Dual Core Processor greatly improves fast motion scene tracking in real-time without eye fatigue.
- Split-Screen helps setup changes to see present and proposed change comparison...
- The picture quality is so amazing, you completely forget that you're actually watching a projector!?!
Extremely impressive projector!! Yes, this likely is the best HT projector from Panasonic so far!!!
Thanks Panasonic!! Mike (Puget Sound Area, WA)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2013
This projector is awesome but it's going to break and when it does, you're going to experience Hell firsthand. Sent mine in for a bad HDMI board repair. It's been a month, I STILL don't have a working projector. They beat the daylights out of it, put 60 extra hours on it, scratched the crap out of the IR and Lens covers, unplugged it with the main power switch on re-nuking the HDMI board, shipped it with the lens unsecured and packed it like it was frozen fish rather than a $3000 projector. John McConkey at Panasonic's customer service center is a real jerk to boot; he's curt, condescending and promises things he can't deliver. The whole fiasco was so bad he and another rep both said they'd be sending a new unit to replace the one destroyed by the service center. INSTEAD they re-re-repaired it, replaced the scratched components and are sending it back with an extra lamp to offset the life lost being repeatedly hammered in UPS planes, trucks and sorting centers. Instead of admitting they blew it and make it right, they've wasted a month of my life (and I STILL don't have a projector back yet), an untold fortune in parts, shipping and labor only to return my AE8000U in worse condition than I gave it. Buy the Epson. Buy the Epson. Buy the Epson.

I love Panasonic's product but after dealing with their warranty service for a month I'd compare the experience to dating a supermodel with syphilis. It starts out seeming like a dream come true but ends up being the biggest mistake of your life.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2014
I owned the PT-AX200U prior to this one. It gave excellent service for 6 years. I was going to replace it with a cheaper projector, but my wife said I'd never be happy with it, I should go with this one (no she doesn't have a sister - God bless her). The picture is absolutely amazing, It's very bright even in a lit room, and my room can be blacked out as well. When the room is blacked out, I set all the settings for the dimmest picture and it's perfect... this means the bulb can be used well beyond its expected life. BTW, in the old projector, I only replaced the bulb 3 times in 6 years with constant viewing every evening, and loads of viewing on weekends--hard duty; I tried cheap bulbs, but they all were terrible. Panasonic's brand name bulb is expensive but wonderfully bright.

PT-AE8000U is large, but mine is a permanent installation... don't let that bother you. The adjustments are many, the options are rich, the 3D is easy--a real no brainer--and the 3D picture is STUNNING with the Panasonic TY-EW3D3MU 3D glasses (see my review of them). I bought 2 more glasses, and will get 2 more for 3D parties. The REALLY cool part, is that, as you know, 3D viewing is dimmer than 2D. With this projector being so bright and set on the lowest setting normally, a brighter setting for 3D is just a button click away.

I was surprised to find that there is a built in 2D to 3D setting that turns everything on TV to 3D. This feature is not as dramatic as 3D Bluray, but it does add a nice dimensionality to regular programs. I like it. [ I know this is a glowing review... I am not in any way connected with Panasonic, Amazon, or any dealer-- I really love this thing that much]. If you can't believe this review without a negative, here it is. When the picture is set to 3D, my cable remote will not work for Play, Pause, FF, Reverse functions. Beats me why this happens. Why should cable box or box remote functions be affected by what the projector is doing? Aren't they independent? This is the only negative I can come up with. You won't be sorry if you get this. I'm just thrilled.
on October 13, 2013
First, let me say this is my first projector. I've never really been enticed by projectors...they've always seemed like a gimmick with low quality.

Enter the Panny 8000. I do a ton of research of all things I purchase, especially the more high dollar items like this (for me at least). I pre-ordered the 8000 at (sorry Amazon, y'all didn't have it listed). Anyway, I just built a new home and needed an anchor for my theater room (my 1st). It came with a rebate for 2 free 3D glasses. I bought 4 more pair (from Amazon!) because my theater has six seats.

It has just been over 1 year now and I have accumulated 2,144 hours of run-time...yes, that's over TWO THOUSAND HOURS of use. Although, a few of those hours most assuredly have come after I have fallen asleep trying to get in a few more hours of movie/TV watching and I wake up later after the movie has ended. :) I basically live in the theater room these, watch, and yes...sleep in it. I haven't noticed any dimming or other issues with the bulb. While it is watchable with the lights on (friends over watching football), I prefer the lights off. However, sometimes I can be watching TV for a while and then notice that I have the lights half dimmed and it wasn't affecting the screen (though maybe my sleep).

My projector has been used for movies (both 2D/3D), games (XBox 360/PS3, some in 3D), TV (Time Warner cable). I've even connected my laptop directly to the 2nd HDMI slot on the projector to view some internet video. All of which are exceptional. My two boys (6 & 8) and children of all sizes love watching movies, both 2D and 3D, on the big screen. Everyone that has come over to watch movies love it and are frequent returnees. I have a 67" TV in my living room that was my main TV but I no longer use it and even dislike using it knowing my theater is so close (kinda sad really). Luckily my wife enjoys watching our 50" Kuro in the bedroom so we don't fight over the theater room constantly.

So why only 4 stars? It's incredible yet not perfect. The 3D, while awesome, is darker than I'd like. Legend of Guardians, Avatar are both slightly diminished from their normal 2D goodness, yet it delivered a different kind of goodness that exploded in your face. Also, I watch a LOT of football and it's 99% sweetness, however, there are a few times that I notice super fast motion (usually when camera is zoomed in on players running) tends to jagged the picture a tiny bit but does not last long.

All of the above was viewed without any adjustment to projector settings. Below are more details of my setup in case it helps:

Room-size: 15' x 24' (projector @ 16')
Mount: Peerless PRGUNV (B000TXNS6G
Consoles: XBox 360/PS3
Screen: Elite Screens ER135WH1 Sable Fixed Frame, 135inch, 16:9 AR (B007PM9WYG
3D Glasses: Panasonic TY-EW3D3MU (B0058SYDTI
on April 9, 2015
Using it in a basement movie-watching room. Very quiet. Much bigger than I'd been anticipating but once I had it installed (hanging from the ceiling) it's really not an issue. Plenty of natural light in the basement and the picture is still watchable on my fixed 110" screen. At night with no ambient light it's positively brilliant. Easy to adjust the image to project onto my screen, both with manual knob and auto zoom/shift.
on April 7, 2015
We love this projector! Went to a local store that tried to sell us a projector for $3500 but we decided to go with this projector and we are glad we did. A family member turned us on to this Panasonic and it turned out to be a great tip. This product is well worth the money and the Superbowl was simply awesome to watch on the big screen this year!
on March 26, 2015
The Good:
The Panasonic AE8000U is not a bad projector by any means. It has extremely vibrant colors that works extremely well in animated movies. The 3D really didn't need to be any better, it was fast with almost no artifacts, looked really sharp, and was just fun to watch (which surprised me, I'm a 3D hater). The dynamic iris is almost absolutely silent, I couldn't hear it even on the quietest moments of movies.

The Bad:
I used an Oppo 105 Blu Ray player with its dual HDMI outputs to run two projectors at a time to compare the AE8000U with the Epson 6100, 9500UB, and 6030UB. The Panasonic had better blacks than the 6100, but not nearly as good as the two UB projectors. The AE8000U had a green tint to the image, we increased the red bias to combat this issue but it was still far from perfect. It seems the grey balance of the AE8000U was off, that combined with lower black really led to a flatter looking image in all movies except animated movies (vibrant, but almost oversaturated colors). I had issues with the convergence on the unit I received. When testing convergence with the Disney WOW disc it was clearly evident the convergence was far worse than any of the Epson projectors I had. I read about people saying the joystick for lens shift is hard to get right. I find that to be an understatement. It really is a pain to get this projector lined up, the only advantage is it locks. After you finally get it where you want it, you twist it, and it locked into place. In the end I returned this projector, it was not an upgrade from my Epson 9500UB and even further away from the new 5030UB/6030UBs.