Published 15 months ago by A. MCREN

1.0 out of 5 stars You've been warned.
Published 5 months ago by Bob

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Projector, but be aware of who you are buying it from..., January 21, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic PTAE8000U 1080p Full HD Projector (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I love the projector, never-mind the 3D, it is not a subtle upgrade from the PT-AE4000. In terms of picture quality, everything is better - brightness, contrast, and clarity. It is actually bright enough that in a reasonably light controlled setting, you could run in ECO mode and be perfectly happy. Again, going from PT-AE4000 to the 8000 is well worth it. 3D seemed fine, just make sure that you purchase the correct 3D glasses as there are different versions, even within Panasonic.

Now the bad part - I like everyone else, try to save a buck when I can. I didn't realize that Amazon allowed grey-market, marketplace dealers; but in retrospect, I guess that was my own naivety. BIG VALUE, Inc. IS NOT AUTHORIZED TO SELL Panasonic. They claim that they are just like buying from your retail store, but I have never had a retail store that was grey-market. Your rebates and warranties WILL NOT be honored by Panasonic. Unfortunately the way I found this out was by trying to redeem a rebate. By the time I received a denial from Panasonic and clarification from BIG VALUE, Inc, I was outside of the 30 day return window.

I will go though the claim process and hopefully Amazon will support my side based on BIG VALUE's deceptive marketing, but it's an expensive lesson to learn; as regardless as to whether I am able to return the projector; I also lost out on the two free pairs of 3D glasses and the $100 rebate check.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Home Theater Projector, March 22, 2013
I wanted to wait a while before writing this review, but I can't hold off any longer. So far I have about 40 hours on this projector and I absolutely love it! I have it ceiling mounted in the rear of our home theater. The room is completely light controlled, and I am projecting on a 120" wide, 2.35 aspect ratio acoustically transparent screen. Throw distance is approximately 17'.

Out of the box without any adjustments, I thought the picture was great. I did a quick calibration this past weekend with the Disney WOW BD, and tweaked a few of the picture settings. Now the picture is fantastic! Colors are rich, great blacks and detail in dark/shadowy parts of movies, whites are bright when they should be. Everything really pops. Sharp focus and details as well. We have watched a mixture of HDTV, 16:9 movies, and 2.35:1 movies. All have been 2D. I don't have any 3D movies (or glasses for that matter) so can't comment on the 3D performance.

One feature that I really love is the auto sensing of the movie's aspect ratio. Everyone has to comment on how cool it is that once a 2.35:1 AR movie starts playing, the picture zooms to fill the entire screen automatically. I have to admit that I don't get tired of seeing that happen. Very cool.

One thing to keep in mind if you are going to use the auto AR switching is mounting location. In general, the center of the lens should be no higher than the top of the screen. Mine is about 2" higher, and I can still make it work with the lens shift and v-area position controls, but I don't think it would work if it were much higher than that. I'm sure this varies with throw distance and screen size, so make sure to test before you permanently mount it.

Also, if you are expecting to get the Panasonic rebate, you need to know that Amazon is NOT an officially authorized reseller of this product. They may be for other Panasonic items, but this is considered a "business class" projector, and Panasonic only has 5 authorized resellers for this projector. I'm not saying don't buy it from Amazon, I just want you to be aware that you will not qualify for the Panasonic rebate if you do. I found that out the hard way.

Overall I give this projector 5 stars. In my opinion, it would be very difficult to find a better projector with more features in this price range. I would not hesitate to recommend this projector to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Projector for the Money, September 22, 2013
NuForce (Louisiana, USA) - See all my reviews
Before writing a review I like to use a product for more than 6 months before commenting. I completed a theater room back in January 2013 and purchased the Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector.

After nearly 8 months of continual use the Panasonic PT-AE8000U performance is amazing. It worked right out of the box with very little setup time and continues to deliver an incredible picture. The 3D effect with glasses is better than what you'd see in a movie theater. For under $3000.00 it is a phenomenal projector. The projector image is extremely bright and clear. I've actually had friends come over to watch a movie all along thinking it was a plasma screen TV until someone walks in front of the screen.

Football season is a whole new adventure! Go Saints!

Here is my setup:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE8000U
Surround Sound: Yamaha RX-V363
Speakers: 5.1-channel Insignia NS-HT 51
Optical Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3D Blu-ray DVD Player
Screen: Fixed Frame 106" HD Screen

My HTPC for streaming video is a docked laptop
Dell Latitude E4310
CPU: i5 2.67GHz
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 250 GB
OS: Windows 7 Home
Keyboard: Microsoft bluetooth (plan to switch to a touch pad keyboard)

I HIGHLY Recommend this product!!!

Nu

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Panasonic PT-AE8000U, February 5, 2013
Compared to my previous old 2004 NEC LT-260K projector, which was quite good in my dedicated HT room - wow, big improvement!!
I recommend ProjectorCentral.com to compare, and the Panasonic PT-AE8000U was very highly rated!
I've only had the new projector installed for a couple weeks, but here's the differences I've experienced so far:
- Improved 1920x1080 Resolution (Now can even sit on the floor in front of the big 122in screen and it's still quite clear!)
- Much greater Contrast Ratio! (500,000:1) Night Scenes are much clearer, and gives more depth of field.
- Brighter (Can even use room lighting now if desired with very little screen washout!)
- Quieter Fan (better during silent passages...)
- Longer Lamp Life (2000-3000 previously, and now 4000hrs, 5000 in eco)
- More refinement / adjustability controls options
- 3D capability that didn't have before... (Can be immersed in the movie if you choose on occasion... Wow! Amazing!)
- 2D to 3D Conversion option
- Power Zoom & Power Focus, as well as other setup improvements
- Better Color Interpretation
- Very fast 480Hz Dual Core Processor greatly improves fast motion scene tracking in real-time without eye fatigue.
- Split-Screen helps setup changes to see present and proposed change comparison...
- The picture quality is so amazing, you completely forget that you're actually watching a projector!?!
Extremely impressive projector!! Yes, this likely is the best HT projector from Panasonic so far!!!
Thanks Panasonic!! Mike (Puget Sound Area, WA)

1.0 out of 5 stars You've been warned., November 7, 2013
This projector is awesome but it's going to break and when it does, you're going to experience Hell firsthand. Sent mine in for a bad HDMI board repair. It's been a month, I STILL don't have a working projector. They beat the daylights out of it, put 60 extra hours on it, scratched the crap out of the IR and Lens covers, unplugged it with the main power switch on re-nuking the HDMI board, shipped it with the lens unsecured and packed it like it was frozen fish rather than a $3000 projector. John McConkey at Panasonic's customer service center is a real jerk to boot; he's curt, condescending and promises things he can't deliver. The whole fiasco was so bad he and another rep both said they'd be sending a new unit to replace the one destroyed by the service center. INSTEAD they re-re-repaired it, replaced the scratched components and are sending it back with an extra lamp to offset the life lost being repeatedly hammered in UPS planes, trucks and sorting centers. Instead of admitting they blew it and make it right, they've wasted a month of my life (and I STILL don't have a projector back yet), an untold fortune in parts, shipping and labor only to return my AE8000U in worse condition than I gave it. Buy the Epson. Buy the Epson. Buy the Epson.

I love Panasonic's product but after dealing with their warranty service for a month I'd compare the experience to dating a supermodel with syphilis. It starts out seeming like a dream come true but ends up being the biggest mistake of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome projector, September 22, 2013
Awesome projector.colors are so realistic and vivid , makes you feel want to jump through the screen.very quiet motor and easy setup, fine tuning

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, June 2, 2013
The projector is wonderfull. It is easy to set up, no noise at all, high quality image and the 2D to 3D functionality is very effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Projector works great, April 23, 2013
Very easy to install and setup
Only have had it up for a couple of weeks and love it thusfar.

Would reccomend this projector.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good projector, May 21, 2013
Just bought it, but has worked great so far. I recommend the product. However the replacement lamp is very expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best features for price, outstanding 3D, April 27, 2013
Aside from a few select features I'll happily stay at home to enjoy movies now!
The specs speak for themselves on this projector and for the price there's isn't as feature packed a projector (that's whisper quiet)

The 3D takes some tweaking but once it's set it's fully immersive!
Like all home theater projectors controlled room lighting is a must but I'll be keeping this for several years until 4K is well established and doesn't cost my first born child.

Monoprice 40' Redmere HDMI cable
OPPO BD103
DIY screen - WilsonArt Designer White 5'x12'
laminate countertop $100 (153" CinemaScope)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›