Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 30, 2011
I PURCHASED THIS RADIO TO SEE JUST HOW IT COMPARED WITH THE SONY S10 MK2, I LIVE IN COLORADO AT A SHADE UNDER 10,000FT. ON THE EASTERN SLOPE OF THE ROCKIES WITH NOTHING TO OBSTRUCT RADIO RECEPTION.
I REALLY DON'T LISTEN TO FM THAT MUCH AND MY OPINION IS THE PANASONIC AND SONY ARE PRETTY MUCH EQUAL IN BOTH SOUND QUALITY AND RECEPTION. BUT, WHEN IT COMES TO AM RECEPTION THE PANASONIC DOESEN'T COMPARE, IT CAN BARELY PICK-UP THE LOCAL DENVER STATIONS, ON THE OTHER HAND THE SONY PICKS UP LOCAL STATIONS W/NO PROBLEM, AND ON A CLEAR NIGHT I'VE PICKED UP STATIONS AS FAR AWAY AS SAN ANTONIO.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY THE SONY, YOU WON'T BE SORRY.
on February 14, 2007
I have own so many kinds of pocket radio, this is going to be the last kind I will ever own.

1. Excellent reception, it dosen't matter if it is inside my no radio work truck that I am driving or inside a four story building, there is still reception for AM.

2. 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, 8 days now, 2 Kirland's AA batteries are still runing. Amazing!!

If you are looking for a reliable radio, you have to get this one, THE ONLY ONE you ever need to look for.
on October 10, 2006
I can't find any fault with this radio. I just got it a couple of weeks ago, and I really like it. The reception is very good, the sound is solid, it's easy to work it with one hand, feels good in your hand, looks nice, the size is right, the carry strap is nice, and I also really like the tuning light. I've never had a radio with a tuning light before, and I find it to be very helpful. Honestly, if you have realistic expectations, you won't be disappointed with this radio. But remember that it is a POCKET RADIO. A larger radio will give you slightly better long-range AM reception, and better sound for listening to FM (stereo, bigger sound and more bass), but this thing does a GREAT job for its size. Before I bought this one, I was also considering the little Sony pocket radio. I opted for the Panasonic for reasons that I can't remember. As far as I know, the Sony might be just as good, but I would seriously doubt that it could be better than this Panasonic.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 1, 2007
SUMMARY
It is a terrific "transistor" radio. Turn it on, dial in your station, enjoy memories of a simpler time---particularly these days when you can't set the time on a typical wristwatch without the manual which you lost three years ago. On/off/volume with plenty of volume if you want it. Great manual tuning---the radio won't "forget" your station when you change batteries. There is even a little red diode which helps tuning in exactly on your station. Two AA batteries seem to last forever.

TUNING AND RECEPTION
The manual tuning is straightforward and easy, albeit sometimes it is hard to exactly tune in a weak station near a strong one, in part because a slight touch of the dial changes the frequency. There are no presets---so, if you listen to several stations, write the frequences down on a label and stick it to the radio (and protect the label with clear tape). Just dial in the station you want. Reception is usually very good, even without the telescoping antenna (just leave it collapsed), but it is very much appreciated when you need it.

ON/OFF VOLUME
One of the particularly good features of the Panasonic is plenty of volume. You can place the radio anywhere in the room. I consider it to be a "shop and patio" radio.

SOUND QUALITY
The sound qualtiy is good, not great. This is a radio for listening to news, talk radio, or ball games, not classical music. Music is acceptable, particularly at modest volume. If you want to listen to music, buy an MP3 player with a built-in FM reciever and a good set of headphones---or a fancy Bose, etc for 20 times the price.

BATTERIES
The Panasonic uses two AA batteries which last forever. Honest---at least a month using the radio several hours per day---even with rechargeables. Nevertheless, having a set of 4 rechargeables means you are never out of batteries. Sanyo Eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargable Batteries w/ Charger

USING HEADPHONES
The headphone ("earphone" in transistor days) is mono, and no earphone is included mono or otherwise. Which means you have to plug in your (stereo) headphones---but then, you only get sound to your left ear, nothing to your right ear. Why? I've had mono voice recorders for years, which nevertheless had the proper socket for stereo headphones (you got mono, but to both ears, which was fine). If you want an AM radio to use with headphones, I suggest a Coby CX50---which is also mono, but to both ears. Coby CX50 Compact AM/FM Radio with Digital Display, silver

CARRYING IT AROUND
The Panasonic is nicely pocket-sized and slides easily in and out of shirt pockets. It's a bit large for pants pockets. The strap is rather useless, and can't be removed. There is no easy way to carry it on your belt. I've placed a strip of self-adheasive velco tape on the back, and mating velcro tape the several places I use it (e.g., in my shop and on my hammock)Velcro Sticky-Back Hook & Loop Fastener Roll In Dispenser Box, 3/4in X 15 Ft., Black (VEK90081)

OTHER FUNCTIONS
There are no other functions. If you want travel--alarm clock--radio, I again suggest a Coby CX50 Coby CX50 Compact AM/FM Radio with Digital Display, silver I happily use both radios.

> Click on “Stoney” just below the product title to see my other reviews, or leave a comment to ask a question.
on September 28, 2005
The Best Feature of this Compact Radio may be the $12.88 PRICE.[Amazon]

The Panasonic offers a nice clean Design, 2.5 inch Speaker,LED Indicators for Reception and Tuning,and the Silver Color is Cool!

You get what you Pay for and this is evident in the Tuning, sporadically, stations can Fade in and out without reason? and the Speakers cant Handle high Volume listening! Sports/Talk Radio no Problem!
on September 13, 2010
No contract, no license, no incomprehensible 'features,' nothing to program, nothing to set, no blinking display, no remote, no digital this-that-or-the-other, don't have to read the manual, sound quality is excellent for the price, reception is better than other radios/boomboxes I have, the batteries last.
on July 11, 2002
I like the sound quality of this radio. The only problem is, that after a while, it has a tendency to break, especially the antenna. It has been discontinued, so you should get as many as you can. This quality of sound in a small radio is rare.
I first bought this radio in February 2000. When I lost it (although it was eventually found - it mysteriously disappeared overnight in a house and was found during spring cleaning in 2002) I bought another in June 2001. When I lost that one (for real - it evidentally fell out of my pocket in the street) I discovered that it was no available longer in the store where I bought it (Klearvuiew Appliances) from but Internet research turned up other places. I bought a few over time from PC Richards.
One radio - the first - had the antenna broken and it eventually came off. Another, used by someone in a car with a nonfunctioning car radio, wound up with the antenna stuck in a slightly open position (no real problem - it can still even fit in a sweater pocket)
A third radio seems to now have bad reception, especially for WABC. Something went wrong with the tuning connection. This is the sortt of thing thatbsometimes happens to table radios if they suffer knocks - some wire is not perfectly connected
When it works, it is extremely good. The biggest problem is simply that, like virtually all radio models, good or bad, the manufacturer discontinues them aftter a relatively short period of time. I think that is some kind of strategy. Most models do not produce good clear sound at low volumes. This one does.
on March 26, 2007
Good Radio for the price, my only complaint is that the stations wander, and I have to reajust to keep the station clear. This is to be expected because it is not a digital reciever. The sound is clear and the volume for a little radio is great! I am very happy all in all!!
on August 31, 2011
I've had this radio for several years now. I keep it in a cellphone patch pocket attached to my backpack strap, so I can listen to music or news while I bike with minimal added weight or fuss. I cut a couple holes in the pocket to allow access to the volume/power and tuning controls.

Simple, clean design, just like the radios that were common when I was a kid. Decent sound, excellent AM and FM reception, and fantastic battery life (MANY hours on a pair of AAs). I'm sure it's not waterproof, but I've certainly gotten it fairly soggy from riding in downpours and it seemed unaffected. I live in Oregon where outright downpours aren't the norm, but drizzle is, and this radio is exposed to cool, damp conditions on a daily basis. After years of this treatment the volume control got "scratchy" (as with happens to many radios). One spray of that "no noise" stuff from Radio Shack cleared things up, and a year later it's still good as new.

Only downside is the FM reception tends to drift a bit as the radio warms up. Usually after 5-10 I have to adjust the tuning a bit to keep hold of the station, especially in colder conditions. Only a minor annoyance.
on March 27, 2007
Excellent reception, good sound quality and volume. FYI there's no separate on-off switch; to turn the radio off you turn the volume knob all the way down.