5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for an outstanding earbud, March 10, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic RP-HJE270-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Design Headphone (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
These Panasonic earbuds blew me away. I had originally upgraded the default Apple earbuds with Bose earbuds. I really liked the overall improvement in sound. And I had no reference for quality headphones.

I workout between 2-3 hours, 6 days a week. So my headphones take a beating and they have to resist sweat. The Bose cable broke internally near the jack so I was without music. Working out without music sucks, a lot. I need that hard and heavy metal to keep me pumped.

To further complicate things, I am deployed on a US Navy warship to the Western Pacific. Options are severely limited. Luckily we stopped in Korea soon after the Bose earbuds broke. I was at the NEX on the base there and they only had approximately 5 headphones (brands) total. I didn't know what to buy. I definitely wanted the best sound I could get. I knew the Bose sounded good, but they were unavailable. So I took a gamble and bought these.

For under $20, these have got to be the best earbuds I have tried so far. But, I haven't listened to anything high end. The most I ever spent was on the Bose. I would buy these any day over the Bose again. The quality to price ratio is just too good.

Overall sound quality is really good. I mostly listen to heavy metal which has a lot of distortion, especially on the low end of the spectrum. Cheap (in quality) speakers and headphones just can't reproduce the music accurately. And the bass response in this set is unbelievable. I can even listen to bass centric music, like Bass Mekanik I Rock Bass, without these Panasonics even breaking a sweat.

4.0 out of 5 stars The finest pair of $1,000 earbuds I've ever owned, July 8, 2011
Curtis G (Surf City USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When my V-MODA Bass Freq Earbuds broke, so did my heart. I'd never known how deeply in love I could fall with a pair of $20 earbuds, and when the end came, I wasn't sure I'd be able to go on. After drunkenly wallowing in sorrow and filth for several days, I finally pulled myself out of my fetid hole of mourning, took a shower, and started searching Amazon for a reason to go on. I decided that I would be willing to spend an extra 10 or even 20 dollars on some new earbuds. After all I'd been through, I felt I deserved it.

I've been a fan of Panasonic products for years, so when I found these earbuds using my sophisticated (and patented) Amazon search algorithm, I was confident they would not only help me get over my loss, but also allow me to listen to my music and podcasts in auditory bliss. Like most relationships, it turned out to be a mixed bag. Using no EQ at all, the bass response was not as strong as I prefer, but I found an EQ setting on my iPod that works for me.

There are few things in life that make me angrier than having my earbuds ripped from my ears. What I really, really like about these earbuds is the shape of the buds themselves. Whereas many other buds are round, these are slightly oval, and fit my ear canal much more comfortably without creating a vacuum seal. If you believe that most household objects are inanimate, wearing a pair of earbuds while walking around your house will disabuse you of that notion post-haste: furniture will literally come to life, grab your headphone wire, and violently yank your earbuds out, taking your eardrums with them. At least that's what happens in my house. Now when this happens, it's less painful, and slightly less irritating. I was disappointed to learn, after ordering them for $29.99, that others had bought them for less than $20. The trade-off is less eardrum pain, so I'd say it was worth it.

What was really surprising, though, was finding that these earbuds are now valued at ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS! You might think that after a run-up like that, I'd want to cash in and maybe diversify my earbud portfolio, but I'm going to hold. I might even refinance them--take some cash out and do some improvements on them. Next year they should be worth at least two grand--unless, of course, we're looking at some sort of earbud price bubble...

The bottom line is this: These are good low-end earbuds for 30 dollars. They're even better for 20. If you're like me and you can't see yourself spending a hundred bucks on earbuds, give these a shot. Unless you're more about the bling, and then there's Skull Candy...

Update 7/12/11: Good grief, the bottom dropped out much faster and farther than I expected. Now they're $16.99? Outrageous! Now I'm underwater on my earbuds and I'll have to contact the bank about some kind of program to allow me to keep my earbuds in these turbulent times. Because if owning my own earbuds isn't the American Dream, I don't know what is.

Update 3/2/12: I seem to recall that these buds sounded too "bright" when they were new, so either they've broken in or I've gotten used to them, as I use no EQ settings now and they sound really good. (Or I could be thinking of a different pair entirely. I'm becoming sort of a budslut.) However, the cable is a constant annoyance. Not only are they too long, but they're thin and prone to tangling. I swear, you can put these down on a table and forget about them for 10 seconds, and when you turn back around you'll find them in a knot of Gordian proportions. I'm currently testing some Bluetooth buds, but I'm not impressed so far. Lately I've been winding up the cable and clipping my iPod to the back or my shirt collar or my hat, just to keep the everything out of my way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound and very durable., January 21, 2011
I got these after having wasted my money on other brands that just fell apart after barely being used. These seem to be just like every other Panasonic branded electronic item I have ever owned: durable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, December 27, 2010
G. Hipps (Tampa, Florida) - See all my reviews
Bought these originally to replace the ones I had (at an airport of all things) on the recommendation of the sales guy Yes, i was really leery of him after he had tried to sell me A 185 dollar set of ear buds when I was just needing them for a two hour flight. These buds compared very favorably with the Dr Dre buds at 15% of the price even at airport prices! I lost them (sigh) and replaced them with the same ones. TOTALLY satisfied!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and good prices at Amazon.com, December 19, 2010
I am just like so many people who bought this Panasonic Earbud is very satisfy and happy. For under $20.00, Panasonic RP-HJE270 has an excellent sound, very comfortable in the ear. In my opinion, better sound than the iPod earbud that came with the iPod you purchased. Fit perfectly in my ear canal and block 80% of the unwanted noise. You won't regret a bid to invest $20.00 for this nice sound earbud for your iPod. I am glad I made the decision to buy Panasonic product again on Amazon.com. You won't regret it to own this Panasonic product. Thank you Panasonic and Thank you Amazon.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and they get the job done., May 9, 2012
Very good at noise blocking - makes a good seal with the ear. Several different earbud sizes included.

The sound is good, but I'm no audiophile. I like them and use them at work almost every day. They seem to be durable and they've held up fine. I've used them for a year and they're looking and working well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, comfortable headphones., December 18, 2011
I purchased these in advance of a 16+ hour flight as a backup to noise canceling headphones. On a plane, noise canceling is great, but somewhat uncomfortable and unwieldy. These earbuds, with their soft, rubbery fit are light, comfortable, and knock out a surprising amount of the outside noise. They also sound great with my iPod and the in-flight entertainment system. The bass was very good and the product is well made and looks like it will last.
(For many airlines, remember to get the two prong to single stereo adapter!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good headphones., October 25, 2011
I've been using them for the last 6 months, no complaints so far!

Usually after a month or two these get twisted up and the connection gets loose so you start hearing his annoying static, but not with this pair!

They fit well, still great in my ear and sound good enough for the classical music I use them to tone in for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, September 18, 2011
I've had these for 6 months now, and they're still going strong given that they're heavily used. Built to last that is. Long cable (about 4ft). Weird design, but they fit comfortably, I can go to sleep wearing them and not worrying about hurting my ears or anything. Noise cancellation is pretty good. I used them as earplugs when I used a table saw, and they worked pretty well. Sound quality is good also. Bass is pretty strong. Personally, I'd like the bass to be deeper. Other than that, I can't find any cons for these considering their build and audio quality with a reasonable price tag. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic RP Earbuds, September 15, 2011
Very pleased with the product, I use when I run and lift weights. I use these daily and on long international flights.