2,075 Reviews
 (1,246)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bang For Your Buck
If you want value for your money, if you lose your headphones too often, if you wear out the cord, or plug on your headphones, these are the ones to get. I have a couple of MP3 players I use at work daily and with them I wear my headphones constantly. I either lose or wear them out whether they are more expensive or cheaper. I was absolutely startled at the bass that...
Published on March 14, 2006 by Stephen R. Finney

1.0 out of 5 stars Great For the One-Eared. Not So Much For Anyone Else.
These headphones delivered adequate sound for the money...for about one week. After that, the right channel went dead.

This wasn't one week of grueling, sweating, working-out-in-the-gym torture. This was one week of "old guy sitting very, very still in a chair listening to music." And still...PSHHT!!! The darn thing crapped out on me.

For the price,...
Published on August 2, 2010 by Home Studio

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Headphones, even in the year 2012, November 8, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic RP-HT21 Lightweight Headphones with XBS Port (Electronics)
Who would have thought that my search for the most comfortable pair of headphones would lead me to these? I sure didn't.

I have tried, and still own, in ear "bud" headphones, behind the neck in-ear headphones, medium cup sized over-ear headphones, and huge over-ear closed style headphones. All have their perks, and unfortunately negatives too.

The in-ear type of headphones would actually cause me physical pain only shortly after wearing them. The little ones, buds, with the little suction type end piece hurt the most. And the portable factor was dismissible once I realized I had to fight to untangle them each time I wanted to use them. The around the neck in-ear headphones, but no "suction cup", would typically yield better results in regards to the length of time before pain commenced. They still hurt after some time, and because the pressure of the band was suppose keep them on your head they weren't very practical for quickly taking off. This also made having them around your neck uncomfortable.

Moving on I then tried headphones with over-ear designs. I ended my search with my Audio-technica monitor headphones (ATH-A700). I love them, for the most part. Audio quality is superb, and the comfort of the band is great, as the wing design fits to your head. They have a closed back design so it helps keep outside noise at a reduced level. These positives unfortunately came with some big negatives though. One, obviously, they are not very portable, and much less practical to use in public. Secondly, due to me spending large amounts of time using headphones for work, school, and hobbies, My neck would start to ache. The sheer weight of the headphones was actually causing pain in my neck around my shoulder area. Keep in mind, I was wearing them for close to 5-8 hours straight, so I'm not knocking the ATH-A700s, I still love them.

Now the Panasonic RP-HT21. I was doing my normal shopping on amazon when I decided to throw these headphones into my cart as an add on item. I thought to myself,

"What the heck, why not? Would be nice to have a pair I could throw around, travel with. They have to be super light by the looks of them, which has a bunch of benefits in itself. They look like the headphones I had in the 90s though, so there's a chance they sound like crap. I mean it's been close to two decades, technology of headphones has to have drastically changed. Ah, for the money, its worth a shot."

Got them, opened, popped into my clip+, hit play. Simply put, I love them. These headphones have obviously exceeded my expectations. They are light, audio quality is good, and the form factor is perfect for traveling and using in public. The biggest plus to these headphones is that they are extremely comfortable, and I mean they are almost "not there" comfortable. Not to mention, the price is fantastic.

I will be buying probably around 2-3 more pairs, so I have backups, and a couple to tinker on. I'm thinking of adding a Rean plug and maybe some braided cord, just for fun not because it's needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think they are great!, February 14, 2009
I bought three of these in case of breakage. So far I'm still on the first set after about five months. In my opinion they work very well and so for the money I would say they can't be beat. I had a hard time finding the length of cord in the specs so I will state here that the cord length is about 4 1/2 feet from plug to ear pieces making for comfortable sitting approximately 3 1/2 feet from the source. If you need more length then buy an extension. The plug itself is a small standard one prong stereo plug, that fits in my Sylvania TV for example. So for the price, these headphones are unbeatable. What a feat Panasonic, thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great For the One-Eared. Not So Much For Anyone Else., August 2, 2010

For the price, there's no point in trying for a return...nor much hope that I can make a repair. So even though they didn't cost much, it hurts to be adding them to the landfill. Other reviews indicate that this has been an ongoing problem with these headphones. I'm really disappointed that Panasonic couldn't add another fraction of a penny's worth of rubber to reinforce the cord and protect the wiring.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Keep buying them so they must be pretty good, April 26, 2008
J.D.K. (Somerset, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I have owned many pairs of these headphones now and I highly endorse them. Their sound quality is quite impressive for a $6 product. They generally don't last more than a year or so before they start to develop sound issues but they are such a good price that it doesn't bother me to buy one pair per year.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointed, October 14, 2011
I have only had this product for a few weeks. It has been plugged in to a computer and hasn't moved since. It stopped working. We can not get sounds to come out of it anymore. I could see it stop working if it had been moved around, and taken everywhere with me, but it hasn't. I'm very disappointed with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality for the price, November 12, 2006
I bought this headphone in an airport. On the flight I used this phone to listen to movie, the sound quality was amazaingly good, it made the headphones supplied by airline unbearable to me. When back home, I still very much enjoy this phone to listen to computer movies and musics, and carry it with me for the flights. It has a board frequency range, bass is surprisingly rich given such a low profile phone. Wearing is comfortable. With such a light weight, low prices, it is a good travel companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars These things ROCK!!!, January 7, 2011
P. Killion (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
So I've recently received my Panasonic RP-HT21 Headphones, and I've gotta say, I'm impressed! Cheap headphones have come a long way, but these really do take the cake. I've had dozens of headphones in my life, and working in the video production field, I've used some really pricey ones (don't get me wrong, there's a big difference between this type of headphone and high-quality monitor headphones).

These are the perfect music/leisure headphones. They have great sound, but the surprising part is how much bass these things put out! It's like having a sub right next to your ear! However, I will point out, these things do put out a little too much bass to be accurate right off the bat, but an EQ can fix that if you prefer a more "harmonious" sound; if you like your bass, then you won't have to do a thing. The overall sound output is pretty decent: lows, mids, highs, they're all there. Now, these are cheap so accuracy is a different story (these are slightly muddy compared to more expensive headphones), but like I said, these are leisure headphones, which work excellent for listening to rock/pop/rap, etc. Unless you plan on dishing out $40+, you won't find anything better, and those still might not be great for music listening, since you kinda want that accentuated bass/booming tone for most music (or at least I do).

So, these are cheap headphones, don't expect them to last forever, but if taken care of, there's nothing mechanically flawed in the pair. This is the old-school defacto design, and it kinda makes me laugh to see we've moved away from this design for buds (which, at least they have improved, but still don't compare). Since these aren't buds or noise canceling, others will be able to hear your music at higher volumes, but it really isn't that bad, since these have "ports" I figured it might be louder externally than it actually is.

I believe another reviewer pointed this out already, but the title is misleading, the port is merely referring to a literal "port" or hole, so that bass can be amplified in the compact design; there aren't like extra plugs or anything wacky on these headphones, just the normal 3.5mm headphones jack. The packaging doesn't even have any mention of the port, which I'm assuming they removed due to confusion; I only knew what XBS was because they used to have it slapped on their products. Also, the cord is 4.5ft in case you wanted to know, I couldn't find that anywhere on Amazon, had to go to another site to find that out; that length is perfect for me, since they are plugged into the front audio jack on a PC sitting on the floor. My previous iPod buds were 3ft and I had to tilt my head to use them.

So, all in all, you should buy these. I'm glad I bought them, may buy half a dozen more to be honest, I really enjoy these little headphones!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing bargain with superb sound!, February 16, 2010
First, I have to tell you I'm a critical music listener. I am very sensitive to bad sound. I cannot believe how good these headphones are.
They are better than headphones I have used costing 10 times as much
not only soundwise but also comfortwise. These are amazingly comfortable
and very light on my head. I cannot stand headphones that make me feel
like my head is in a vise. They also allow reasonable outside sounds to
come thru, like when the nurse calls me into the doctor's room. and you
can hear your stop when riding the bus.
Pros: Great bass, highs and a sweet natural sound. What more could you want? How about picking up sounds you never even heard before on your old
headphones. Great comfort. I'll probably hit the plastic band with a bit
of hairdryer to soften and bend the plastic to make them even a wee bit looser on my head (I said I'm very critical). Don't do this while its attached to your mp3 player. Price under $5.00 including shipping? They fit perfectly in the
little camera bag I carry my mp3 player in (the Sandisk Fuze 4gb player).
Also, the accessories I got for my Sandisk were amazingly cheap and included shipping.
Cons: None
Bottom line: Don't hesitate, buy these at once. You Might even want to order an extra pair at that price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smoothest Bass I've EVER heard from a lightweight headphone!, July 10, 2008
When I received these headphones I thought they were going to sound like crap. No headphones that I've ever seen or purchased for that amount of money were good. But when I plugged them in to my Mp3, I was surprised. They sounded GOOOD!! I couldn't believe it so I had my sister try them out. She loved them too! And she could barely believe how good and bass-ey they sounded...especially after I told her the price! So long story short, get these...you will be pleasantly surprised like I was! Oh! The only reason why I gave them four stars is because they have a hard time staying on my head. They slide off a lot, and I have a pretty good sized head. But other than that, they are very good quality!

1.0 out of 5 stars Best Bass You'll find in a $5 headphone, guaranteed., July 21, 2010
I give this headphone 4 stars, mainly for the price. It's clearly not a 4-star headphone, but for the price, it's definitely worth it.

Amazingly, this $5 headphone has better bass than a $40 pair of headphones I got last year sometime. It's the best bass you'll find in a headphone this cheap, guaranteed. I defy you to find better!

The actual sound quality is 'ok'. It's very low power. If you're accustomed to listening to your music on volume 12, let's say, you'll need it on volume 14 or 15 with these headphones. However, when you do, it gives a nice rich bass sound, a below average mid-range and a below average treble.

Like I said, for $5.20 and free shipping (thanks to Amazon Prime) this was a no-brainer, and maybe the best $5 I ever spent on headphones. This is a spare set, for when I forget my other ones (I have 3 headphones). I lose headphones and sit on them or break them so often, it's nice to have this one around.

But in realistic terms, if you're rating this in terms of sound, regardless of price, I'd give these headphones a 2.5 out of 5.

Update: 9/15/10 - After only 2 short months of use, my left speaker rattles, rendering the headphones virtually useless. I actually only used the headphones maybe 5 or 6 times before they blew. That's $1 per use! Garbage!