5.0 out of 5 stars Best in comfort, fit and sound
The Wirecutter called these the best headphones under $30 (Nov 2013), and they were not kidding. These are the most comfortable earbuds I have ever tried, they stay put during activity, and the sound is clear and full.

One note, though: the blue is a pretty vibrant blue. Pretty really vibrant.
Published 14 months ago by VB

3.0 out of 5 stars Whoa! Slow down.
If you have found your way here the same way I did, through the Wirecutter review of earphones under $30 claiming that these headphones are the best sounding headphones in the price range, then please, control your expectations.

Published 12 months ago by Daniel B. Bliss

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in comfort, fit and sound, November 18, 2013

One note, though: the blue is a pretty vibrant blue. Pretty really vibrant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, but better options are available if you don't need the mic, August 5, 2014
About a year ago, I paid $60 for Etymotic MC5 earbuds. These sound every bit as good as those ever did -- And the Etymotics didn't stand the test of time. One of the buds started making a horrible rattling sound after about a month or two. Don't know about longevity on these yet, but I'd buy them again even if they only last me 3 or 4 months.

These are great headphones, although if you don't need the built-in mic, I would recommend the very similar Panasonic RPHJE120S model. They're about $8.50 and, believe it or not, I think they even sound a little bit better than these. I bought both because I tend to lose/break headphones a lot and I wanted to have a backup pair anyway. But I was also interested in comparing them. The cheaper RPHJE120S model sounds just as clear and rich, but seems to have slightly more volume and bass. They are very comparable, though.

If these make your ears sore at all, use one of the smaller tips included. I'm a big-ish guy, so I assumed I'd need one of the bigger sizes, but the medium one was killing my ears. I switched to the small tip and it's perfect. It still seals the ear canal, just doesn't squeeze as hard.

I only have two minor complaints about this model. One is cosmetic -- the cord looks and feels cheaper and flimsier than the comparable Apple buds. (The RPHJE120S ones have a similar cord as well.) Certainly not a dealbreaker -- especially considering the price -- and it doesn't affect the sound at all. My other complaint is that the button doesn't control volume the way the Apple ones do. Instead, it pauses and plays a song. On a Mac, it launches iTunes and then plays or pauses your song, which is kind of annoying if you're using Spotify, for example. It doesn't work the same way as the play/pause button on the keyboard in that way.

I'm giving these 4 stars instead of 5 mainly because the lack of volume control/annoying button behavior and because I think the cheaper buds are actually slightly superior. But they're very, very good. If you DO need the mic, it would be hard to do much better for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Impressed., February 1, 2014
This review is from: Panasonic RPTCM125K Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
These earphones are great IEM's especially for their price. The sound on these little things are spectacular compared to other earphones in, and above their price range. They fit extremely comfortably in your ears. They do not protrude from your ears, which is good if you like to listen to music in bed. Only bad thing about these are the wire. It seems a little cheap. I'd like to see, however, how long it will hold up. Don't forget these have a mic as well, which is always a plus. If you generally buy earphones in this price range from your closest target, tjmax or even online, I suggest you get these for the same price and superior quality. They are also an amazing back up when you cannot or choose not to wear your favorite earphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands Down BEST <$100 Earbuds!!!, September 14, 2014
This review is from: Panasonic RPTCM125K Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
I wanted a pair of inexpensive but good sounding earbuds (don't we all!). I have expensive headphones & expensive earbuds for use at home but wanted a cheaper pair for use at work. Since I am in construction they get pretty beat up & the cables start failing very quickly & I go through them fast.

I was SOO tired of going to Ross or TJ-Max & randomly buying cheap earbuds & them sounding like COMPLETE GARBAGE! So I did a Google search for "Best earbuds under $30". To my suprise I read in one shoot out that out of 150 different "under $30" earbuds that the best ones were only $13, these Panasonics!! So of course I found them on Amazon & bought them right away...

These are hands down the best earbuds I have EVER heard under $100!! I own a pair of Shure-215 earbuds that cost me $125. The Panasonics sound 80% as good as them at 10% of the cost!!! Unbelievable :)

5 Stars for the price EASY!!!! GET THESE!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, January 11, 2014
This review is from: Panasonic RPTCM125K Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Buying headphones at such a low cost, my expectations were set pretty low with these. However, I was quite surprised with the sound quality; it seemed to deliver the same sound as some of the more expensive headphones I've used. That being said, the housing is made of flimsy plastic, and noise cancellation is an issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Whoa! Slow down., January 7, 2014
This review is from: Panasonic RPTCM125K Headphones (Black) (Electronics)

I am an avid fan of a wide range of podcasts and I practically collect inexpensive earbuds because, not only do I wear them a lot, I damage and lose them a lot. I have more expensive, better headphones, but for day-to-day use a pair of headphones like these Panasonics are right in the price range of what I use for most of my listening.

I read the Wirecutter's review of these and bought a pair to see what I have been missing. The answer; nothing. They are a generally acceptable pair of cheap earbuds with a microphone. I compared them to a couple of other similarly inexpensive earbuds and found that they are not only not better, in some regards they were worse.

As someone who rarely (never) reviews products on Amazon, I felt it was necessary to try to bring some perspective to the discussion. These headphones are fine. For the price, they are a good choice. Wirecutter's review made them sound like they are far more than they are regarding their sound

"The Panasonic won because they sounded the best. Hands down. They were everyone’s top choice in terms of sound fidelity. They have a nice overall balance with airy, mellow highs and present-but-not-dominating bass. They sound just as good listening to acoustic guitar as they do hip hop and rock. Nothing pierces, nothing muddies: every frequency plays well with the others. And as you’ll see with other contenders later, that’s not often the case in this price range."

When considered alongside their lackluster build quality (from the Wirecutter "their plasticky design won’t be winning any awards for beauty or construction") I can say that I will not be purchasing another pair of these. I have been through lots of other sub-$30... actually, sub-$20 as is my rule for day-to-day wear headphones... that sound as good, if not better, and have a better build quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best sub-$15 headphones I've used, January 16, 2014
This review is from: Panasonic RPTCM125K Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Like many, picked these up based on the Wirecutter review. I can't say I'm in love with them, but I do find their sound to be a noticeable and pretty dramatic improvement over the other sets of $10-$20 earbuds I've got laying around, including the older Apple earbuds (I don't have the newer earpods). The fact that they include a mic is a bonus, and I've got no complaints about sound quality on the few phone calls I've made.

As far as fit goes, they're pretty par for the course of rubber-tipped buds. I find the middle size a little too tight and the small size a little too loose, but I think this is going to vary person by person. You won't know until you try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound for a cheap headphone, October 6, 2014
Excellent sound for a cheap headphone. Great bass and great sound quality. The button isn't the most responsive and the cord seems about 6" shorter than I'd like (might be a problem if you're tall) but I'm very happy with these overall. One thing that's unique about these is that the stem that the rubber ear gels go onto is an oval so the gels don't budge at all by accident. I've got a pair of earbuds in my gym bag where once or twice a month the gel pops off and I have to dig around for it but that would never happen to these.

5.0 out of 5 stars They are amazing!! My cousin, September 24, 2014
I read about these headphones on a newsfeed and ordered them soon after. They are amazing!! My cousin, who listens to a lot of hip hop asked to borrow them and was amazed at the quality of the sound, especially the base. I love them for movies on my laptop and use them all the time. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than headphones more than twice the price., August 8, 2014
This review is from: Panasonic RPTCM125K Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
They were rated as one of the top headphones under $30 by a few different websites, and they definitely deliver. It's not extremely obvious, but they have the angled rubber piece from the rest of the body that allow the audio drivers to be slightly larger than the piece fitting in your ear, and that also helps them stay in your ear better. If you put them in the correct ears, the angle and the wider driver will easily hold them in your ear even during somewhat strenuous activity (running, but probably not burpies). Rotating them slightly will make sure the body sits comfortably in your ear while the rubber stoppers fit in your ear canal. They also have 3 different sizes of rubber stoppers (as most do), covering a wide range of ear canal sizes.
These definitely aren't your high-end Bose headphones, but in my experience they match or out-perform most $60-70 headphones. The sound quality is excellent and the construction is solid. They unfortunately don't have any of the nice technical features of much more expensive headphones that prevent noise from reaching your ears when the cord rubs against things, but they do have a little mic with a button built in to the wire about 6 inches from the right ear piece that can be used as a pause/play or mic mute button.

Panasonic RPTCM125K Headphones (Black)
$19.99 $14.99